PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals-White Sox Opening Day PPD

leviw
04-05-2009, 05:05 PM
The Chicago White Sox have announced that tomorrow's Opening Day game between the Royals and White Sox has been postponed due to the forecast of snow, cold and high winds in the Chicago area. The game was rescheduled for 1:05 p.m. on Tuesday, April 7.

Both the Royals and White Sox will send Monday's scheduled starting pitchers to the mound on Tuesday. Right-hander Gil Meche will start for Kansas City while left-hander Mark Buehrle will start for Chicago.

The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports Kansas City and throughout the Midwest on the Royals Radio Network.

Saul Good
04-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Do we still get Ponson for the home opener?

MIAdragon
04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
It looks like quite a few Opening Day games will be postponed. :mad:

beavis
04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Do we still get Ponson for the home opener?

Ahhh damn, that's right. Unless they make that game up before Friday, which I doubt they will. That would push Davies back to opening day!

Frazod
04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I heard this on the radio. It's rainy, cold and miserable up here and will be worse tonight and tomorrow. We're supposed to get 1-3" of snow tonight. Definitely not baseball weather. Would make for pretty nasty football weather.

beavis
04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I guess they're making it up on Tuesday, which was an off day. That sucks.

Sure-Oz
04-05-2009, 05:17 PM
This seems to happen to the Royals almost every year the last 5 years or so

Esp when we are @ Baltimore

Tits McGee
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
What's the forecast for the Yankee's series next weekend? I'm bring a crew to the K from California.

tboss27
04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
MLB is so stupid for scheduling opening day games in cold/snowy cities. Play the games in FLA, CA, TX, ARI, the dome stadiums and stay the heck away from Chicago for a few days. This happens every single year it seems like

Dartgod
04-05-2009, 05:28 PM
What's the forecast for the Yankee's series next weekend? I'm bring a crew to the K from California.
http://tinyurl.com/cqlk7r

Bearcat
04-05-2009, 05:29 PM
MLB is so stupid for scheduling opening day games in cold/snowy cities. Play the games in FLA, CA, TX, ARI, the dome stadiums and stay the heck away from Chicago for a few days. This happens every single year it seems like

Trimming the schedule down a bit so spring training through the postseason doesn't cover 8 months and like 481 games might help, too.

tboss27
04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Trimming the schedule down a bit so spring training through the postseason doesn't cover 8 months and like 481 games might help, too.

I understand they don't want to trim games cause it hurts revenue, my point is stay away from the places it's still very capable of snowing in the first week of April.

bkkcoh
04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
I would agree the baseball season shouldn't be starting out in the north and shouldn't probably be ending the season in the north either. But somehow that isn't totally fair either.

Frazod
04-05-2009, 05:36 PM

I agree with this. There are basically 10 professional baseball games played in a season for every professional football game. You'd really think they could trim a couple of weeks off the start of the season without ruining themselves financially.

Bearcat
04-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree with this. There are basically 10 professional baseball games played in a season for every professional football game. You'd really think they could trim a couple of weeks off the start of the season without ruining themselves financially.

I once heard a stat that 95% of MLB teams that are in first place at the end of May end up winning their division. If that's true, I don't see the harm in cutting the ends off by 10 or 15 games each.

I know it won't ever matter since it's driven by $$$, but still.... speaking of, the Braves are in town next week and it certainly won't be 30 degrees out, so I'm looking forward to catching a game or two. :)

kcfanXIII
04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
I heard this on the radio. It's rainy, cold and miserable up here and will be worse tonight and tomorrow. We're supposed to get 1-3" of snow tonight. Definitely not baseball weather. Would make for pretty nasty football weather.

and jose guillen doesn't like the cold...

kcfanXIII
04-05-2009, 06:16 PM

check weather.com

zip code here is: 64129

Mama Hip Rockets
04-05-2009, 06:18 PM
i am sad.

doomy3
04-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Damn, that sucks! I was looking forward to watching some baseball tomorrow. Well, I will still get to watch some baseball, but I really wanted to watch the Royals.

Jenson71
04-05-2009, 06:23 PM
This basically ruins my life til Tuesday.

DeezNutz
04-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Glad they did the smart thing and called the game in advance as opposed to bullshitting through a 6-hour, on-again/off-again delay.

alnorth
04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
They cant trim games off since it would screw with a lot of records, there are no injury concerns, and more games allows the better teams to overcome luck.

However, aside from scheduling games away from the northern no-dome cities the first and last week, I think they should begin scheduling a few double-headers every year. Why not? double-headers are played all the time anyway, but if they are planned, maybe 6 per team, you can start the season later, end it earlier, and the teams could base promotions around it.

You might not normally care about a saturday game vs some random crappy team, but if they advertised a 2-for-1 deal where you see 2 games for the price of 1 ticket, in advance so you dont have to scramble to buy a double-header ticket that suddenly came up because yesterday's game was postponed to today, it could work.

Frazod
04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I once heard a stat that 95% of MLB teams that are in first place at the end of May end up winning their division. If that's true, I don't see the harm in cutting the ends off by 10 or 15 games each.

I know it won't ever matter since it's driven by $$$, but still.... speaking of, the Braves are in town next week and it certainly won't be 30 degrees out, so I'm looking forward to catching a game or two. :)

When did you move to Atlanta?

WilliamTheIrish
04-05-2009, 06:40 PM
They cant trim games off since it would screw with a lot of records, there are no injury concerns, and more games allows the better teams to overcome luck.

However, aside from scheduling games away from the northern no-dome cities the first and last week, I think they should begin scheduling a few double-headers every year. Why not? double-headers are played all the time anyway, but if they are planned, maybe 6 per team, you can start the season later, end it earlier, and the teams could base promotions around it.

You might not normally care about a saturday game vs some random crappy team, but if they advertised a 2-for-1 deal where you see 2 games for the price of 1 ticket, in advance so you dont have to scramble to buy a double-header ticket that suddenly came up because yesterday's game was postponed to today, it could work.

I loved DH's in the day. Now the noxious, greedy pricks schedule them as day/night DH's in attempt to separate me from twice the money.
It's one of the main gripes I have about the greed of players and owners alike.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
dam that sucks

chiefsfan987
04-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Not a big deal. I prefer this to playing Monday then having Tuesday off anyways. Playing the opener and then having the next day off bites, especially if you lose.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM

this is a great idea. you should send it to the commissioner.