PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request 3 Police Officers killed in Pittsburgh shootout

DenverChief
04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Didn't see it posted and this on the heels of the 4 Oakland officers shot and killed

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Three police officers were shot dead and two more wounded as they responded to a domestic disturbance call at a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, home where a man wearing a bullet-proof vest opened fire, police said.

The officers had been called out to the house following reports of a disturbance, but came under fire from a man inside, triggering a four-hour standoff.

"Our hearts and our prayers go out to the officers who paid the ultimate sacrifice," Police Chief Nathan Harper said in a televised press conference.
"It's a very sad day for the Pittsburgh police bureau. We have never had to lose three officers in a line of duty at one time in one call."

Harper said the shooter, identified as 23-year-old Richard Poplawski, fired at the officers several dozen times using a high-powered assault rifle before he was finally wounded and then surrendered.

"He had one assault rifle and one long-arm rifle as well as one pistol and a lot of ammo," Harper had said earlier.

The first officers where cut down immediately upon entering the house, leading Harper to say he believed they were victims of a trap set by the gunman.

"As soon as the officer stepped through the doorway he was immediately met with gunfire," Harper said. He and a second officer who came through the doorway were both shot in the head.

Harper said the gunman, who has been hospitalized, will be charged with three counts of homicide. Killing a police officer is punishable by death in the state of Pennsylvania.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said the shooting -- which marked the first Pittsburgh police officer deaths since 1995 -- stunned the city and its police force.

"The whole bureau of police today is very somber, very angry about this senseless act of violence that occured," Ravenstahl said. "But we will move on, we will unite."

The killings mark the latest spasm of gun violence in the United States which has been rocked by six fatal mass shootings in the past three weeks, including the killing of four Oakland, California police officers on March 21.
The Pittsburgh attack also comes a day after a recently unemployed man stormed an immigrant services center where he had been learning English in Binghamton, New York and went on a murderous rampage, killing 13 people before taking his own life.

Harper said investigators were hunting for a motive for the gruesome crimes.

A picture of Poplawski slowly began to emerge, with local news reports describing him as a high school dropout who subsequently joined the US Marines but was dishonorably discharged. He was described as living with his mother and grandmother.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said on its website that police were called to the scene by Poplawski's mother just before 7:00 am. He surrendered at about 11:00 am.

One of the gunman's friends from high school, Edward Perkovic, said Poplawski called him Saturday morning just moments before the shooting, according to the Tribune-Review.

"He said, 'Eddie, I'm going to die today. Tell your family that I love them, and I love you.' Then I heard a bunch of gunshots," Perkovic said.
Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved. More »
Related articles
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hxoHdBrCablLyFrwOobxjXLkGs_Q

PITTSBURGH — In a scene that neighbors described as a war zone, a gunman fatally shot three police officers on Saturday morning as they responded to a domestic dispute between a mother and her son.

Chief Nathan Harper of the Pittsburgh police said the gunman, Richard Poplawski, 22, surrendered after a nearly four-hour standoff with SWAT team officers.

“We have never had to lose three officers in the line of duty in one call,” Chief Harper said at a news conference in the lobby of police headquarters on the North Side of the city.

The American flag and the Pittsburgh flag flew at half-staff just outside the building to honor the slain officers. They were Eric Kelly, a 14-year veteran of the force and married father of three daughters, and a pair of two-year department veterans, partners Stephen Mayhle, a married father of two daughters, and Paul Sciullo III, who was engaged to be married.

“No matter how many years they had on,” Chief Harper said, “they paid the ultimate sacrifice.”

The episode began around 7 a.m. in the Stanton Heights neighborhood of Pittsburgh, a blue-collar and middle class area made up mostly of two-story single-family brick houses but also of ranch houses like the one where Mr. Poplawski lived with his mother, Margaret Poplawski, 41.

The neighborhood is home to many of the city’s firefighters and police officers, including Officer Kelly, who lived just four blocks away from the Poplawski home.

Officer Kelly had just ended his shift at 7:05 a.m. and was almost home when he heard that Officers Mayhle and Sciullo were responding to a domestic dispute nearby, said Deputy Chief Paul Donaldson, who wore a black band of mourning over his badge.

Chief Harper said the police had been called to the home at least twice before for domestic problems; neighbors said the visits were much more frequent — at least a half dozen calls in recent years when Mr. Poplawski and his mother got into fights.

Typically, the police “would come and be the peacemaker, and it would be over,” said Geraldine Lejpras, who lives across the street from the Poplawskis. “But not this time.”

Unknowingly, the officers walked into a deadly trap. Mr. Poplawski, wearing a bullet-proof vest, was armed with an AK-47 rifle, a .22 long rifle and a pistol.

Officer Sciullo was the first to the door, with his partner, Officer Mayhle, standing behind him and Officer Kelly just coming onto the scene.

When the door opened, Officer Sciullo was “immediately met with gunfire” and fatally shot in the head, Chief Harper said. Another shot struck Officer Mayhle in the head, also killing him.

A neighbor, Michele Ostrowski, said she saw the scene unfold when Officer Kelly arrived. “He got out of the car and I saw him get shot and he landed on the sidewalk,” Ms. Ostrowski said in a telephone interview, her voice shaking.

Officer Kelly, who was critically wounded, managed to call for assistance. The next officer to arrive, Timothy McManaway, was shot in the hand as he rushed to help Officer Kelly, though he managed to fire at Mr. Poplawski, possibly wounding him in the leg.

For the next four hours, neighbors reported intermittent gunfire that could often last for a minute as both sides exchanged hundreds of shots, with Mr. Poplawski shooting from the bedroom window as his mother, who made the 911 call, took refuge in the basement of the home.

“It sounded like an actual war zone,” said Georgia Marciniak, who lives just behind the Poplawskis’ home. “It was absolutely scary.”

A fifth officer, Brian Jones, was trying to slip behind the house when he broke his leg climbing a fence, Chief Harper said.

A neighbor directly across the street, Johann Devinney, said she saw the first two officers lying on the ground the moment she opened her front door just after 7 a.m. She quickly shut the door and hid with her husband in the back of the house.

Officers set up in the Devinneys’ yard as well as at the house of Ms. Ostrowski, who lives cater-corner to the Poplawskis. The police used the Ostrowskis’ Toyota Camry, which was parked in the driveway, as a shield. She said it was riddled with bullet holes.

At some point during the standoff, Mr. Poplawski’s mother left the house, Ms. Devinney said, adding that she heard her shouting, “What are you doing with my son?”

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on its Web site that Mr. Poplawski had called a friend and former high school classmate, Edward Perkovic, from the scene around 8:30 a.m. The newspaper reported Mr. Perkovic recounting what Mr. Poplawski had told him: “Eddie, I’m going to die today. Tell your family and friends I love them. This is probably the end.”

About 11 a.m., the police led Mr. Poplawski from the house in handcuffs. Ms. Ostrowski said his thigh and right shoulder were bloodied.

Neighbors said Mr. Poplawski had been kicked out of North Catholic High School and then was dishonorably discharged from the Marines three years ago, and had worked a series of short-term jobs in recent years.

But no one could explain why he did what he did on Saturday.

“I’d like to understand why,” Deputy Chief Donaldson said. “It’s senseless.”

The killing spree here came less than a day after a gunman murdered 13 people at an immigrant services center in Binghamton, N.Y., before killing himself, and two weeks after a parolee shot and killed four police officers in Oakland, Calif.

Chief Harper said Pittsburgh was generally unaccustomed to this type of violence but had recently endured a spate of gang-related activities.

Councilman Doug Shields said he had been attending a rally at Heinz Field calling for peace in some of the city’s more violent neighborhoods when he learned of the killings.

“This event certainly puts a whole different light on that rally,” Mr. Shields said. “What can we do other than pray for the dead and those were hurt?

“Someone with an AK-47 today was angry enough to use it. It makes me want to be sure we’re reaching out to the community.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/us/05pittsburgh.html?ref=global-home

A dishonorable discharge is supposed to prevent purchase of a firearm :rolleyes:

kcxiv
04-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I remember a few years back one got shot about 2 blocks from my house at the stop light. WEll he died and there was virtually no sympathy from people because he was a corrupted asshole. I mean it sucks that someone got shot dont get me wrong, but word has it, he was a really bad bad cop.

Skyy God
04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Apparently the shooter may have been a RWNJ.

http://www.oliverwillis.com/2009/04/04/right-wing-paranoia-begats-cop-killing/

boogblaster
04-05-2009, 07:40 PM
As this country goes into a deeper slump you'll see lots more of this happening ... People are going to start going crazy as their problems don't get solved ...

Imon Yourside
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
99% chance he was on antidepressants.

DenverChief
04-05-2009, 10:49 PM
As this country goes into a deeper slump you'll see lots more of this happening ... People are going to start going crazy as their problems don't get solved ...
I know its going to get scary
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
04-06-2009, 04:23 AM
And people here get pissed at cops when they are skeptical of every person they pull over.

Pioli Zombie
04-06-2009, 05:31 AM

Exactly. This isn't exactly the Greatest Generation. People in todays America will not be able to handle when their unemployment runs out, when they can't use their credit cards anymore. When they can't get an apartment etc etc.
It was crazy enough before. And so many people are just lost spiritually. Its going to be real ugly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief
04-06-2009, 06:38 AM

Well, the first to politicize the murder of three cops is a LWNJ, so you have that to be proud of.

Bwana
04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Well, the first to politicize the murder of three cops is a LWNJ, so you have that to be proud of.

My thoughts as well. The guy needs to slither back into the DC forum and never venture out again.

Brock
04-06-2009, 08:26 AM

Was it left wing paranoia that cause the Oakland shooter?

Skyy God
04-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm know I'm the asshole for bringing this up, but the gun ban part was mentioned in the original story I read from Fark.

Anyway, I'm off to have a 2nd retina surgery, so flame away.

bdeg
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Exactly. This isn't exactly the Greatest Generation. People in todays America will not be able to handle when their unemployment runs out, when they can't use their credit cards anymore. When they can't get an apartment etc etc.
It was crazy enough before. And so many people are just lost spiritually. Its going to be real ugly.
Posted via Mobile Device

If things don't turn around quick, I agree. It's times like those people start committing robberies left and right.

crazycoffey
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
As this country goes into a deeper slump you'll see lots more of this happening ... People (that have been built up to have an unhealthy sense of entitlement) are going to start going crazy as their problems don't get solved ...

fyp

beer bacon
04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
This guy was more concerned about Obama and the ZOG taking his guns then anything else.