PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Do any Planeteers here live in Chicago?

bowener
04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
I was just hoping to get some information on your city. I am probably going to move there at the end of summer, and would like to know some views on where I should live (which areas or surrounding cities). Thanks.

Stinger
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Frazod does I believe. I am sure he will be in the thread later but you can always PM him as well.

luv
04-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Frazod does I believe. I am sure he will be in the thread later but you can always PM him as well.

Same with Chi-Town.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I live in the burbs and work in Chicago.

There are a couple of old threads about stuff to do up here. If you search for a thread started by Dartgod with Chicago in the title you should hit on one that has some good tourist advice. But in addition to that, I'll answer any questions you have.

CoMoChief
04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I'd move to the Southwest end of town, like in Caprini Greens. It's a great area.

Brock
04-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Chicago is an awesome town. Some of the nicest alleys I've ever puked in.

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I went there a while back and bought a U.S. Senate seat as a souvenir.

Skip Towne
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM

I went there and voted 6 times.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-06-2009, 11:14 AM

son of a bitch....Blago told me it was MY seat!

Dartgod
04-06-2009, 11:23 AM

There are a couple of old threads about stuff to do up here. If you search for a thread started by Dartgod with Chicago in the title you should hit on one that has some good tourist advice. But in addition to that, I'll answer any questions you have.
I think he's looking for info on where to live, not touristy stuff.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
i would recommend getting a place in the suburbs. living downtown is outrageously expensive. my friend paid about $1400 a month for a tiny 1-bedroom apartment.

ziggysocki
04-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I'd move to the Southwest end of town, like in Caprini Greens. It's a great area.

haha, just make sure you pack the AK and lots of .762

Frazod
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Cabrini Green is on the near north side. And it's mostly gone anyway.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 11:55 AM
I think he's looking for info on where to live, not touristy stuff.

You're right - I misread his post. :doh!:

Well, the answer to that is simple - THE SUBURBS.

Katipan
04-06-2009, 11:56 AM

I think I'll be in your neighborhood in a couple weeks.
Drop your wife off with me?

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I think I'll be in your neighborhood in a couple weeks.
Drop your wife off with me?

Oh absolutely. :D

Are you really going to be up here?

Katipan
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Oh absolutely. :D

Are you really going to be up here?

We were being pushed to go there around the 15th, but I think we'd like to aim for the weekend. The b/f has family 45 minutes away from Chicago but you know me, details like city names and stuff get fuzzy.

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I live in Madison but I've spent the last few summers living in Chicago (Lincoln Park). This summer I'm probably going to live out in Logan Square with a few people to try and save some $$$.

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Stolen?

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:09 PM
We were being pushed to go there around the 15th, but I think we'd like to aim for the weekend. The b/f has family 45 minutes away from Chicago but you know me, details like city names and stuff get fuzzy.

We're in Naperville (35 miles west of Chicago). If you're in the area and have some time, give us a call. I'll PM you my phone number.

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2009, 12:10 PM

It's kinda wierd now, seeing it next to these shopping malls that are springing up.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Stolen? Dismantled. A few of the smaller buildings are still there, but all the highrises are gone.

While city officials have all sorts of lofty-sounding reasons for relocating the residents elsewhere, the bottom line is that real estate is far too valuable to be used for welfare housing.

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 12:13 PM
While city officials have all sort of lofty-sounding reasons to relocate it, the bottom line is that real estate is far too valuable to be used for welfare housing.

So it was stolen, but not by the obvious suspects.

Katipan
04-06-2009, 12:13 PM
We're in Naperville (35 miles west of Chicago). If you're in the area and have some time, give us a call. I'll PM you my phone number.

Perfect cuz the one listed for you on the bathroom wall is outdated and keeps asking me for $4.99 a minute.

Katipan
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM

Ah.

White people.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM

Good point.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Perfect cuz the one listed for you on the bathroom wall is outdated and keeps asking me for $4.99 a minute.

I wondered why you stopped calling. That really put a dent in my monthly income, dammit.

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2009, 12:15 PM

Underpants Gnomes?

NIUhuskies
04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
yeah up here in the burbs as well. let me know if you have any questions, but its a great place to live!

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Ah.

White people.

There are no white people in Chicago. There are Poles, Italians, Germans, Swedes, Greeks, Russians, Czechs, French, and a few Andorrans, but there are no white people.

unothadeal
04-06-2009, 12:19 PM
You should room with frazod.

I SMELL A SITCOM!

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
You should room with frazod.

I SMELL A SITCOM!

Meh. My life's already a sitcom - Married With Children, only without the children. :)

ChiTown
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I was just hoping to get some information on your city. I am probably going to move there at the end of summer, and would like to know some views on where I should live (which areas or surrounding cities). Thanks.

It depends on what you are looking for, and where you'll be working.....and your tolerance for traffic.

Chief Faithful
04-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I lived there for several years. The saying was start in the city, when you have kids move to the burbs, then when the kids leave move back to the city. So my recommendations depends on if you have kids and where you are going to work.

The burbs are nice in the SW and NW. Don't go directly W or S. If you are wealthy go North along the lake. Mass transit is very good in Chicago if you are going to work in the city. Mass transit sucks if you have to go North / South.

You will love the city, food, museums, night life, music, sports, social clubs of every kind, and culture so there is something for everyone. If you are an outdoors person (camping, hiking, fishing, hunting,... etc) Chicago sucks.

CoMoChief
04-06-2009, 12:30 PM
There are no white people in Chicago. There are Poles, Italians, Germans, Swedes, Greeks, Russians, Czechs, French, and a few Andorrans, but there are no white people.

Don't forget Jews.........there are tons of Jews.

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
If you are an outdoors person (camping, hiking, fishing, hunting,... etc) Chicago sucks.

Which is why all the rich people have lake houses in Wisconsin. FIB's.

ChiTown
04-06-2009, 12:31 PM

very true.

Chief Faithful
04-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Don't forget the Mexicans, lots of Mexicans. There are whole Mexican cities like Elgin. The greater area is 8M+ with 2M+ Mexicans. There is also a large Jewish population.

I'll never forget the first time I drove through the Polish section of the city and all the signs were in Polish. The food was amazing.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I lived there for several years. The saying was start in the city, when you have kids move to the burbs, then when the kids leave move back to the city. So my recommendations depends on if you have kids and where you are going to work.

The burbs are nice in the SW and NW. Don't go directly W or S. If you are wealthy go North along the lake. Mass transit is very good in Chicago if you are going to work in the city. Mass transit sucks if you have to go North / South.

You will love the city, food, museums, night life, music, sports, social clubs of every kind, and culture so there is something for everyone. If you are an outdoors person (camping, hiking, fishing, hunting,... etc) Chicago sucks.

The west suburbs are great once you get far enough away from the city (basically past the Tri-State). Oak Brook, Naperville, Downer's Grove, Wheaton, St. Charles and dozens of little towns in between are generally very nice. Naperville in particular regularly ranks as one of the best small cities in the country.

Katipan
04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't forget the Mexicans, lots of Mexicans. There are whole Mexican cities like Elgin. The greater area is 8M+ with 2M+ Mexicans. There is also a large Jewish population.

I don't think I've ever met a Mexican Jew.

Chief Faithful
04-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Every Friday evening the traffic is jammed heading to Wisconsin and jammed coming back Sunday evening.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Remind me to introduce to you my friend Sheldon Morales.

Katipan
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Remind me to introduce to you my friend Sheldon Morales.

If thats what you call your penis, I'm passing cuz I met the wife. If that's a real friend, please do! I bet he has great pot.

Swanman
04-06-2009, 12:42 PM
I live in Aurora, probably not more than a few miles from Frazod. It really depends what you want and how much or little you can afford. I lived downtown about 3 blocks from Wrigley Field for 2 years out of college and it was a blast but very expensive. The suburbs, as everyone has said, are more affordable, especially the farther from the city you are, but mass transit makes it easy and pretty quick to get into the city. My commute from Aurora (about 40 miles west of downtown) is faster than some people that live on the edges of the city, due to express trains on the commuter rail network.

It also depends where you are working or plan to work. If you are in the Chicago loop, you can pretty much live anywhere. If you are working in the suburbs, it's wise to live as close to where you work as practical unless you want to sit in traffic the rest of your life.

Chief Faithful
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
The west suburbs are great once you get far enough away from the city (basically past the Tri-State). Oak Brook, Naperville, Downer's Grove, Wheaton, St. Charles and dozens of little towns in between are generally very nice. Naperville in particular regularly ranks as one of the best small cities in the country.

I see those places as SW although directly W is nice in spots and I agree the areas you list are nice especially for a family. My thoughts are the villages West along I 90. Places like Elk Grove, Itasca, Bartlett, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg, West Chicago, and Elgin I don't recommend to anyone.

Chief Faithful
04-06-2009, 12:44 PM
It also depends where you are working or plan to work. If you are in the Chicago loop, you can pretty much live anywhere. If you are working in the suburbs, it's wise to live as close to where you work as practical unless you want to sit in traffic the rest of your life.

This is probably the best single advise anyone can give.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:44 PM
If thats what you call your penis, I'm passing cuz I met the wife. If that's a real friend, please do! I bet he has great pot.

Good God, who would name their dork "Sheldon"? ROFL

Chief Faithful
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM

If they exist you could find them in Chicago.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I see those places as SW although directly W is nice in spots and I agree they are nice especially for a family. My thoughts are the villages West along I 90. Places like Elk Grove, Itasca, Bartlett, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg, West Chicago, and Elgin I don't recommend to anyone.

Where I live is straight west. West Chicago's fairly close, but everything else that you mentioned is several miles north of me at least.

Otter
04-06-2009, 12:49 PM

I'll never forget the first time I drove through the Polish section of the city and all the signs were in Polish. The food was amazing.

You can take Frazod out for beef stroganoff. Extra pickle diced in his please.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
You can take Frazod out for beef stroganoff. Extra pickle diced in his please.

:#

No polish food for me. Ever. Again.

:cuss:

DaneMcCloud
04-06-2009, 01:19 PM

One of my wife's good friends is Mexican/Jewish. She and her son (the father's Jewish as well) look far more Mexican than Jewish.

Katipan
04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
One of my wife's good friends is Mexican/Jewish. She and her son (the father's Jewish as well) look far more Mexican than Jewish.

Mom and I spent a fun summer in West L.A. with a man of Jewish persausion. There wasn't anyone in his family with pigmentation in his skin. But he wasn't a walk to temple kind of Jew, he was a stay at home on certain holidays and leave us tons of gifts during Hannukah kind of Jew.

Heh. Growing up in Los Angeles, we were taught how to make potato latkes in Elementary school. Now I can't find a good Matzo Ball soup.

DaneMcCloud
04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Mom and I spent a fun summer in West L.A. with a man of Jewish persausion. There wasn't anyone in his family with pigmentation in his skin. But he wasn't a walk to temple kind of Jew, he was a stay at home on certain holidays and leave us tons of gifts during Hannukah kind of Jew.

Heh. Growing up in Los Angeles, we were taught how to make potato latkes in Elementary school. Now I can't find a good Matzo Ball soup.

I'm sure you miss Nate 'N Al's, Jerry's Famous Deli, Canter's, Greenblatt's, Art's Delicatessen and my Hollywood favorite, Victor's Deli.

I'd like a cornbeef on rye just thinking about it!

Katipan
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Jerry's Famous Deli

oh yessssssssssss. In fact, we all went there the night of senior prom.

I miss Brunch. No one does Brunch in the midwest.

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Frazod and I used to hit up the Mongolian BBQ every Tuesday when I lived in Orland...Naperville date night we called it.

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
then we'd go to CROBAR and take 5 or 6 tabs of E and grind on club rats

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
and then we'd go celebrate a Cubs victory (he's a closet fan) in Boys Town and get rimjobs from tranny's

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I once saw Frazod take down two racks of ribs and a beef with extra mozz at Portillos.

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I'd often make $300-$400 on a Friday night in Chicago at the restaurant I worked at...

You could spend that much getting fucked up downtown in an hour. Hope you're not a heavy drinker.

Katipan
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
then we'd go to CROBAR and take 5 or 6 tabs of E and grind on club rats

whoa deja vu minus 4-5 tabs.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Hootie tried to get all his friends to beat me up, but then I pulled my .38 and shot the nearest appliance, and they all ran away.

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Chicago is awesome but I'm not quite there yet...

It's not a college town, so...

All of the hot girls are 25+ (I fair WAAAAY better in the 15-23 crowd) and they are all looking for dudes with a lot of money (don't have any of that)...so the only chicks I hooked up with were ones I worked with...and a gross hippie (well she was wearing a ridiculous dress so I just assume she was a hippie)...

Of course that is better than my friend Andy...who was partying after a Cubs game...went to an after hours gay bar...was propositioned in an alley by a 'chick' who wanted to give him head...the 'chick' was a big black 'chick'...and the 'chick' was definitely a dude...and he definitely bragged about it.

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Hootie tried to get all his friends to beat me up, but then I pulled my .38 and shot the nearest appliance, and they all ran away.

I have a feeling that...

If anyone actually hung out with my friends and me...they'd have a damn good time.

But you guys are all haters...yeah, we're immature, but we're funny...and it's not like we stroll around dressed like Henry Heath Clay.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I have a feeling that...

If anyone actually hung out with my friends and me...they'd have a damn good time.

But you guys are all haters...yeah, we're immature, but we're funny...and it's not like we stroll around dressed like Henry Heath Clay.

Lighten up, Francis.

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Dude...

Cubs in 90 minutes...I'm pretty stoked.

I spot started Khalil Greene on my fantasy team today...I hate the Cardinals but I think he's going to have a money year.

Frazod
04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Dude...

Cubs in 90 minutes...I'm pretty stoked.

I spot started Khalil Greene on my fantasy team today...I hate the Cardinals but I think he's going to have a money year.

On my Cardinals coffee mug that I use at the office, I have the words CUBS SUCK written in a circular pattern, and then in the middle I have the number of years that it's been since they've won the World Series. That way, all the Cub fans in my office can read it when I take a sip of coffee.

I need to change that number from 100 to 101.

Thanks for reminding me. :D

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
THIS YEAR IS THE YEAR

HemiEd
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, I have been up here 13 years now, and can't wait to get the heck out.

If you like snow, this is the place! :thumb: If you hate warm weather, this is the place. If you like high taxes, this is the place. If you like a very high cost of living, this is the place.

June is the one month, that is nice enough, to help you endure the others.