PDA

View Full Version : Computers Wiped my PC now I can't connect to the internet

vailpass
04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Have a PC that I couldn't get into since I didn't know the password (no I didn't steal it, bought it from a closing office), wiped the drive and installed XP. Now I can't connect to the web. It connected before I wiped it.
Any idea as to what this idiot end-user screwed up?

Buck
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
You probably need some kind of Driver.

Pants
04-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Yeah, do you have the disc that came with the motherboard?

Hammock Parties
04-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Ethernet driver probably needs updated.

Pants
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Shut the fuck up, virgin.

gblowfish
04-06-2009, 02:32 PM
It won't connect for you because Al Gore invented the internet, and Al Gore doesn't like you.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
It won't connect for you because Al Gore invented the internet, and Al Gore doesn't like you.

ROFL

vailpass
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
ROFLShut the fuck up, virgin.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Yeah, do you have the disc that came with the motherboard?

Thanks guys. In my Device Manager there is a yellow question mark next to Ethernet Controller. I do not have the disc that came with the mother board. Is this something I can downolad to disc then install??

Baby Lee
04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. In my Device Manager there is a yellow question mark next to Ethernet Controller. I do not have the disc that came with the mother board. Is this something I can downolad to disc then install??

Not without the internet. ROFL

But yeah, see if your device manager has a brand/model for your controller, or if you have the paperwork for it, or if need be by cracking the case and looking on the controller card, google the manufacturer and go to their support page, get the drivers for your model.

Or if your controller is on the MOBO, better bet is to go right to the MOBO mfr's site and get their own controller driver, whatever the actual controller.

Otter
04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
1. Download this small app on machine you wiped - http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
2. Run
3. Go to the "Mainboard" tab
4. Search on the make and model number of main board for "ethernet driver" (see below)
5. Download drivers, install on hard drive of computer you wiped, double click on file

ex. Asus PG15A ethernet drivers

Hootie
04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Depends on the PC...if you have a Dell or HP I know you can download any driver you need from their website.

I understand you can't connect to the internet so chances are you'll have to download the driver from a computer with an internet connection and burn it on a disc...(or save it on a flash drive) and then install it on your computer.

After you get the internet going, you can go install the rest of the drivers from the website...because if you're missing one chances are you're missing many.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Not without the internet. ROFL

But yeah, see if your device manager has a brand/model for your controller, or if you have the paperwork for it, or if need be by cracking the case and looking on the controller card, google the manufacturer and go to their support page, get the drivers for your model.

Or if your controller is on the MOBO, better bet is to go right to the MOBO mfr's site and get their own controller driver, whatever the actual controller.

Thanks a lot BL, device manager just says "pci/ven 8086". Not sure if I would know what the controller card looks like but I'll take a peeky.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 03:23 PM
1. Download this small app on machine you wiped - http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
2. Run
3. Go to the "Mainboard" tab
4. Search on the make and model number of main board for "ethernet driver" (see below)
5. Download drivers, install on hard drive of computer you wiped, double click on file

ex. Asus PG15A ethernet drivers

Right on Otter, thanks very much for this cool app.
I'm concerned I may not have an ethernet driver, there isn't one listed on the mainboard page. It shows Chipset, Southbridge, and LPCIO.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Depends on the PC...if you have a Dell or HP I know you can download any driver you need from their website.

I understand you can't connect to the internet so chances are you'll have to download the driver from a computer with an internet connection and burn it on a disc...(or save it on a flash drive) and then install it on your computer.

After you get the internet going, you can go install the rest of the drivers from the website...because if you're missing one chances are you're missing many.

Thanks Hootie. The pc won't let me adjust the monitor above 256 k and won't recognize the monitor. I tried loading the drivers but it didn't seem to work. Once I can get this pig connected to the net maybe I can correct the monitor.

Otter
04-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm concerned I may not have an ethernet driver, there isn't one listed on the mainboard page. It shows Chipset, Southbridge, and LPCIO.

Download all three and install. It could be packaged in with one of them.

Baby Lee
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks a lot BL, not sure if I would know what the controller card looks like but I'll take a peeky.

Just look and see if there's some writing around the port where you stick your CAT5 into the back of the case. Hopefully you can find it through the other avenues, tho.
If you're pretty sure you didn't add a card, but it comes right off the MOBO, ie, if your CAT5 port is right in there with the cluster of sound, USB, mouse, KB etc, jacks, just see if you can make out the brand/model of the MOBO, it should be printed somewhere fairly prominently on the board itself. Also, you might luck into a sticker inside your case from the MOBO mfr that shows the MOBO layout and should denote the make/model.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Download all three and install. It could be packaged in with one of them.

I downloaded the intel drivers and it fixed all of my graphics and monitor problems, thanks very much Otter.
I still don't have ethernet drivers, in the control panel under properties all it tells me is pci/ven 8086. I'm going to fish around and see if there are any generic drivers under this description(?)

vailpass
04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Just look and see if there's some writing around the port where you stick your CAT5 into the back of the case. Hopefully you can find it through the other avenues, tho.
If you're pretty sure you didn't add a card, but it comes right off the MOBO, ie, if your CAT5 port is right in there with the cluster of sound, USB, mouse, KB etc, jacks, just see if you can make out the brand/model of the MOBO, it should be printed somewhere fairly prominently on the board itself. Also, you might luck into a sticker inside your case from the MOBO mfr that shows the MOBO layout and should denote the make/model.

I'm going to look right now. If you smell singed vailpass you know I stuck my hand where it didn't belong.

pr_capone
04-06-2009, 04:15 PM

What does it say for motherboard?

Brand and model please.

I'll see if I can square you away.

Baby Lee
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm going to look right now. If you smell singed vailpass you know I stuck my hand where it didn't belong.

Yeah, don't touch anything but the side of the case that slides off. Just, first see if there is a sticker inside that case. If not, shine a flashlight around and see if there's anything written

if your Ethernet plugs in like this [see Gigabit RJ-45]

http://www.techiwarehouse.com/i/Motherboard/Motherboard2.jpg

It most likely has onboard LAN and you want to get the MOBO mfr's drivers.

You see the way that one says ASUS in the mid-upper right, and P5KR in the middle? Look for something like that.
http://www.ozhardware.com.au/images/stories/review_images/Motherboards/ASUS%20P5KR/motherboard.jpg
Likewise, you can see that this one is a Gigabyte, 6-quad, [looks like] GA-985P-DQ6.

http://64-bit-computers.com/wp-content/gigabyte_conroe_motherboard.jpg

vailpass
04-06-2009, 04:27 PM
What does it say for motherboard?

Brand and model please.

I'll see if I can square you away.

Hey PR,
Thanks for looking into it.
Motherboard=Intel D845GLAD

Baby Lee
04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey PR,
Thanks for looking into it.
Motherboard=Intel D845GLAD

10 seconds

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=830

If you're using XP Pro, or any MS except 98/Me.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=830&DwnldID=5406&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

pr_capone
04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
10 seconds

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=830

If you're using XP Pro, or any MS except 98/Me.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=830&DwnldID=5406&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

nicely done Baby Lee

vailpass
04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Otter, PR Capone, Baby Lee you guys are awesome. Thanks so much for taking time to help me out with this. The pc is online and running thanks to you.
It was actually fun too.
Thanks again.

Hammock Parties
04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
BTW, Vailpass, this is one of the selling points of Windows 7. If you had installed it, likely your internet would have worked from the get go. When I put it on my laptop I didn't have to install a single driver. Good to know for future reference.

vailpass
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
BTW, Vailpass, this is one of the selling points of Windows 7. If you had installed it, likely your internet would have worked from the get go. When I put it on my laptop I didn't have to install a single driver. Good to know for future reference.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have a couple copies of XP so that is what I can use without spending any $.

Otter
04-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow, when did Baby Lee join the geek squad? *extends had for secret hand shake*

htismaqe
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM

That's a selling point for basically any new operating system. It's all just timing.

Hammock Parties
04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
That's a selling point for basically any new operating system. It's all just timing.

A lot of people are hesitant to switch from XP, though. This sealed the deal for me.

htismaqe
04-07-2009, 11:24 AM
A lot of people are hesitant to switch from XP, though. This sealed the deal for me.

I don't know. Downloading drivers is pretty easy, even with XP.

Hammock Parties
04-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't know. Downloading drivers is pretty easy, even with XP.

Not having to do it at all is a breath of fresh air. I almost felt like a Mac user.