PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV First reviews for the new Star Trek hitting the 'net

keg in kc
04-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Seems positive so far...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40683
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40675
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40679

Should be more coming in soon.

keg in kc
04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
More reviews flowing in, and they all seem positive, some of them glowingly so, like the following, which is spoiler-free:Massawyrm feels the need to invent new levels of hyperbole when gushing over STAR TREK in a spoiler free manner! (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40682)

Hola all. Massawyrm here.

Ho. Ly. Shit. No one was ready for what just happened to us. No one. While some may have guessed and many of us sure had hoped, Paramount’s bait and switch of STAR TREK for WRATH OF KHAN was a stunner. I mean, that was a bold ****ing move. You don’t replace WRATH OF KHAN. You just don’t. Not unless the movie you’re replacing it with is pretty god damned strong. And guess what? It is. Holy Christ Crispies in a bucket of milk, was this movie ****ing awesome. What’s that thing called…you know, the stuff that’s like awesome sauce only better? Oh yeah, Win. That’s it. Win. STAR TREK is made of that. From beginning to end.

I’ve got to admit, I wasn’t entirely enthused about the reboot. Not that I had a real problem with it, but the Paramount of the past has had a piss-poor history with the franchise. And while I like Abrams a lot, the idea of a “younger, hipper” cast was something of a turn off. The first-adventures-of is usually the kiss of death for a franchise – not a way to truly resurrect it. But here it is, back from the grave of some terrible movies preceded by a couple lifeless and mediocre ones. And the way they bring it back is a stroke of genius.

If you haven’t been spoiled yet, then congrats. I won’t break your streak. All I will say is that the film manages to reboot everything while entirely remaining within the continuity of the original series – and by doing so, actually allows them to move freely within the confines of their new “universe.” The explanation makes more sense than it ever feels like a cop-out, and it caused a number of us old school fans to re-examine the original series through this new perspective. A truly clever concept that, unlike many have postulated, doesn’t actually reference CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER at all.

Now before I go any further, I need to make a public, formal apology to Karl Urban. More than any other aspect of this movie, I trash talked him getting the role of Leonard “Bones” McCoy. A lot. And I’ve been pretty harsh to him in the past. After PATHFINDER and DOOM, I’m pretty sure I threw around the phrase “This Generation’s Marc Singer” more than a few times. And I was wrong. Very wrong. Abrams saw potential in him and got a performance that was so close to the original series that at times he almost out-DeForest-Kelley’s DeForest Kelley. He’s brilliant - absolutely wonderful as the gruff country doctor turned interstellar surgeon.

And he’s not alone. There are so many pitch perfect performances in this that embody the soul of the characters and TREK itself that it is astounding. Quinto IS Spock. He just is. Simon Pegg manages to capture all the fun of Scotty and distills it in his own, hilarious way. And Chris Pine just captures all the swagger, ego and machismo of James T. Kirk. Not the older, aging, soulful Kirk. The 1960’s tight shirt Kirk who never hesitated and was always a step ahead of everyone else. He never apes Shatner. He just personifies everything that was great about that hard living, hard loving, tough as nails captain.

And above all, that’s what sells this film. The painstaking love the film has for the series and its characters. While it can be viewed and enjoyed by the uninitiated in the ways of classic trek, the film borrows famous lines of dialog, hints about encounters and vintage jokes from all over the place to fully place this in the STAR TREK universe. Fans will detect very definite notes of WRATH OF KHAN and YOYAGE HOME, without it ever deliberately ripping off either. Already I’m noticing a lot of folks referencing KHAN as the inspiration as there is a revenge plot layered within it. Yet this never attempts to be truly like KHAN. It wants to be something else. KHAN was about the final days of the starship enterprise (despite its subsequent 4 adventures) – it was about coming to grips with death. This is about coming to grips with life – about seizing your destiny and living up to your potential. It is very much about the crew we all know and love learning to believe in themselves for the first time with the confidence that would get them through another 80-some odd adventures.

The film is tight, explosive and fun, a stark contrast to the previous series. Put together with modern sensibilities, the film doesn’t leave a lot of breathing room for characters to stand around laying out exposition. The pace is fast and frenetic, with the crew always playing catch up to what is going on around them. The action is far crazier than you’ve ever seen in a TREK film or episode, replete with car chases, sky diving, truly evasive maneuvers, starship battles that are a hell of a lot more than two ships staring one another down and pressing buttons, rough and tumble fistfights and shoot outs – all the while maintaining that classic TREK feel, even when doing something you’ve never seen in TREK. Everything just feels right. Organic. Authentic. That’s the word. Authentic. This never feels like a copy. It’s the real deal.

And there’s a good chance it is going to blow your ****ing doors off. I cannot express how happy I am with this film. Every moment worked for me – it felt like there wasn’t so much as a hair out of place. I LOVED it. My non Trek-loving wife LOVED it. And the energy in the room was incredible. When I walked out, I was saying it was as good as WRATH OF KHAN. Now that I’ve had some time to settle and reflect, I’m not going to quite make that claim. It’s not as great as KHAN. But it is a short hairs breath away from being that good. It is certainly better than any other TREK movie to date that doesn’t have the word WRATH in the title. Solid, fun and a pure joy to watch, this is the summer blockbuster to beat. A few more films like this and we’ll have a summer like last year.

Until next time friends, smoke ‘em if ya got ‘em.

Massawyrm

Deberg_1990
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Yea, i just read some. IM jacked up for this now!

Frazod will be able to sleep easy tonight.

Bowser
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Seems positive so far...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40683
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40675
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40679

Should be more coming in soon.

Shit, I can't bring myself to read those reviews past all the opening fluff. I really, really don't want to spoil the particulars of this flick, even though I have a feeling I already know the jist of the film.

Hammock Parties
04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Finally, an excuse to wear my star trek shirt and hat again.

NERD SPEED AHEAD

Ebolapox
04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
my pops doesn't get to see too many new movies these days (aka, none at all)... I still remember growing up and watching kirk and 'mr spot' on sunday mornings via syndication... I'll be taking my dad to go see it soon.

SBK
04-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Finally, an excuse to wear my star trek shirt and hat again.

And you wonder why women aren't falling all over you?

04-08-2009, 12:21 AM
And you wonder why women aren't falling all over you?Guess they need to be green to fall for that.

Hammock Parties
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
And you wonder why women aren't falling all over you?

GUESS WHAT MOTHERFUCKER?

I WILL BE ACCOMPANYING A BEAUTIFUL AND INTELLIGENT WOMAN TO STAR MOTHERFUCKING TREK THIS SUMMER!

SO JUST SHOVE IT

(she's just a friend)

(but fuck you)

Bowser
04-08-2009, 12:28 AM
GUESS WHAT MOTHERFUCKER?

I WILL BE ACCOMPANYING A BEAUTIFUL AND INTELLIGENT WOMAN TO STAR MOTHERFUCKING TREK THIS SUMMER!

SO JUST SHOVE IT

(she's just a friend)

(but fuck you)

Is she Deltan?

Hammock Parties
04-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Is she Deltan?

Nah, Indian.

Bowser
04-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Nah, Indian.

Sweet, no vow of celibacy!

Wait, Native American, or Eastern Indian??

Bowser
04-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Where the fuck is Donger with his Rigel-7 takes?

Hammock Parties
04-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Sweet, no vow of celibacy!

Wait, Native American, or Eastern Indian??

Dot, not feather.

We're both virgins. lawl

Miles
04-08-2009, 01:04 AM

New Star Trek movie has a sneaky U.S. premiere
by Keith Phipps April 7, 2009
A bunch of Star Trek fans who showed up for a screening of Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan in Austin, Texas were cruelly tricked into watching the new J.J, Abrams-directed reboot instead. Or maybe it wasn't so cruel. Here's the scoop from trekmovie.com (which may not be the most unbiased source):

Tonight Paramount pulled off one of the coolest stunts in fan history. Promoted as just a 10 minute preview of the new Star Trek to show along with The Wrath of Khan, tonight fans in Austin, TX were actually shown the entire new Star Trek movie. The event included surprise guests, including the original Spock himself, Leonard Nimoy.

The reaction? Positive:

According to a friend who called in to TrekMovie after the event, the audience reaction was very positive. There were "genuine laughs" at the jokes and "quiet moments" with the serious character stuff. And apparently the crowd applauded at the introduction to each character. The film ended with a standing ovation.

The film leaves the hothouse environment of super-fandom May 8th. (May 7th if you live in Australia or New Zealand.)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/new-star-trek-movie-has-a-sneaky-us-premiere,26293/

04-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Why does Australia and NZ get it first?

Deberg_1990
04-09-2009, 07:30 AM
A couple of clicks are popping up online now:

<embed src="http://cdn.springboard.gorillanation.com/storage/xplayer/co003.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="407" swliveconnect="true" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" flashvars="e=4bffc0037b3a3a473a9a2f4e92ed7a23c70b2277d530099d1865f7dc06525b6c7b7d8e83cee9272d096ccdec701c0033c6 ca9695a9a5de9ec1f24e974679ba1171a2c957759a8558ad9d8d5757cd28cf254c8cda8cfca79bb17c60d7f4c010a3ff2ea2 94&width=500&height=407&autostart=false&allowscriptaccess=always&usefullscreen=true&autoscroll=true&thumbsinplaylist=true&esnapshot=4dfed81f&trueurl=http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news/article.asp/aid/11518/tcid/1"></embed>

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:369518" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=type%3Dnormal%26id%3D1608760%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A369518%26startUri=m gid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A369518" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed>

Hammock Parties
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Pine oozes Kirk.

Bowser
04-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Heh, that's a good clip. Every clip I see raises my hopes for this movie.

DaneMcCloud
04-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Pine oozes Kirk.

Gross

04-09-2009, 11:51 PM
The top one does not work.

Lzen
04-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I have been anxiously awaiting this one for several months. I hate it when they tease us 6 months prior to a movie's release. Makes that wait that much harder.

Frazod
04-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Four more weeks.

I will go to the midnight show, and have already arranged to take Friday off. If I like it as much as I think I'm going to I'll go see it again later that day.

I haven't been this stoked to see a movie since I was a kid.

Bowser
04-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Four more weeks.

I will go to the midnight show, and have already arranged to take Friday off. If I like it as much as I think I'm going to I'll go see it again later that day.

This movie has a very "Empire Strikes Back" feel to it, in terms of anticipation.

Plus, I've been jonesing for a GOOD sci-fi flick with major space battle scenes. I sincerely hope that this film doesn't disappoint (it looks like it won't).

Hammock Parties
04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Four more weeks.

The last time I was this excited, it was Episode III.

But I have a feeling the payoff is going to be like Episode I. Because going to see Episode I was an AWESOME experience even if the movie kinda sucked. I think this movie will be much better.

Anyway, dusting off the old nerd gear.

http://cernatent.com.au/catalog/images/02-28-2008_21.21.41-ST%20HAT27.jpg

MOhillbilly
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
cant friggin wait....

Deberg_1990
04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Four more weeks.

Its going to be good. Paramount is obviously confident they have a solid product or they wouldnt have done the Austin "geek crowd" screening.

They finally wised up and brought in an outside team (Abrams and his LOST creative team in this case) to shake the dust off a worn out premise. (Something Lucas should have done with Star Wars BTW)

Its also the first time since maybe the first movie where they gave Trek a HUGE unlimited budget.

I for one am excited.

Hammock Parties
04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm getting an urge to splurge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Threads-by-Gale-Trek-Uniform-Costume-II-VI_W0QQitemZ130298829441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item130298829441&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Deberg_1990
04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Bump.

Paramount has announced they will be opening Star Trek early on May 7th. Starting at 7PM instead of Midnight.

Nice.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=54437

Bowser
04-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Is Eric Bana the Reman?

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Bump.

Paramount has announced they will be opening Star Trek early on May 7th. Starting at 7PM instead of Midnight.

Nice.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/startreknews.php?id=54437

I already have my seats for the 8:40 PM showing at the Cinerama Dome in the 'Wood.

Molitoth
04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I've always hated Star Trek, but this movie looks totally badass. I really hope it brings me to respect the original series/movies.

Frazod
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Is Eric Bana the Reman?

Yes.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I already have my seats for the 8:40 PM showing at the Cinerama Dome in the 'Wood.

Nice. Is that similiar to IMAX? I plan on seeing it at my local IMAX theater.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Nice. Is that similiar to IMAX? I plan on seeing it at my local IMAX theater.

No, it's not IMAX. It's just a "legendary" Hollywood theater connected to the Arclight Cinemas.

Stadium seating, incredible sound, the option to buy your actual seat online weeks in advance with two full bars and a restaurant inside the main lobby.

It's an amazing place to watch a movie.

Deberg_1990
04-17-2009, 12:19 PM
No, it's not IMAX. It's just a "legendary" Hollywood theater connected to the Arclight Cinemas.

Stadium seating, incredible sound, the option to buy your actual seat online weeks in advance with two full bars and a restaurant inside the main lobby.

It's an amazing place to watch a movie.

Sounds nice. Makes me think of the old Glenwood theater in Overland Park KS. and the Midland in downtown KC. Where i first saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back respectively.

Bowser
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Sounds nice. Makes me think of the old Glenwood theater in Overland Park KS. and the Midland in downtown KC. Where i first saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back respectively.

The Midland. Heh. Saw ESB there, myself.

There's a new place in NKC on Armour Road, right where that old Opry place used to be. It's a one screen theater showing first run flicks, and they have a full bar and restaurant. I hear it's nice; maybe I'll check it out for Star Trek.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2009, 01:31 PM

https://www.arclightcinemas.com/static/AboutArcLight.html

Click on the Hollywood location.

Be sure to click on the links at the bottom of the page (The Dome, Cafe/Bar and Site & Sound).

04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
https://www.arclightcinemas.com/static/AboutArcLight.html

Click on the Hollywood location.

Be sure to click on the links at the bottom of the page (The Dome, Cafe/Bar and Site & Sound).You will have to take me there when I visit.

Pants
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
AMC 30 in the beautiful, sunny Olathe, has a couple screens with massive lazboy leather recliners and little server people who take your orders and bring you food. There's a nice bar inside the lounge too and the servers will bring you any drink your soul desires. It's nice.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
You will have to take me there when I visit.

Absolutely!

04-17-2009, 07:15 PM
AMC 30 in the beautiful, sunny Olathe, has a couple screens with massive lazboy leather recliners and little server people who take your orders and bring you food. There's a nice bar inside the lounge too and the servers will bring you any drink your soul desires. It's nice.I've been there a few times but don't remember these theaters. Which ones are they on the complex?

Deberg_1990
04-17-2009, 07:57 PM
AMC 30 in the beautiful, sunny Olathe, has a couple screens with massive lazboy leather recliners and little server people who take your orders and bring you food. There's a nice bar inside the lounge too and the servers will bring you any drink your soul desires. It's nice.

There are a few like that here in SA as well. These sorts of gimmicks have become more commplace in the past few years. Anything to get people out to the theaters instead of the home theater.

Bowser
04-17-2009, 08:39 PM

I've been there a few times but don't remember these theaters. Which ones are they on the complex?

Yeah, no shit. Are you sure you aren't confusing the AMC with the Phoenix theaters in Village West?

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2009, 10:36 PM

The Glenwood had a 2000 person capacity with only for screens. They sold out the original Star Wars each weekend for 13 months.