PDA

View Full Version : News Kumar is going the White House

Tribal Warfare
04-07-2009, 07:38 PM
'House': The Truth Behind the Shocking Surprise (http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/house-the-truth-behind-the-shocking-surprise--229)
By Mindy Monez, TWoP | Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 2:34 PM

Kal Penn leaves one "House" for another
FOX/Joseph Viles/FOX

Warning: This entire post is a discussion of this week's "House." If you care about what happens on "House," but not enough to have watched last night's episode, do not read on. For everyone else, here's some much-needed explanation about what happened – and why – from cast member Kal Penn and executive producers David Shore and Katie Jacobs.

As you've probably heard by now, Kutner killed himself because Penn got offered a job at the White House and has chosen to put acting on hold for a bit to take the gig. We're totally serious. Obviously, this is all a huge surprise, so Kal and the two EPs got on a media call today to help us all understand it a little better. We still think it was a cheap, sensationalistic stunt that made little sense whatsoever, but that's just our opinion. See what you think...

Were you taken aback at all when they told you they were going to kill you off?
Kal Penn: Obviously, yeah. I mean, you're connected to the character you play, and I loved playing Kutner, so there's a little bit of shock and loss -- more than a little bit of shock and loss -- when I found that out also. So yeah. I was probably as shocked as the audience was when I first found out.

When exactly did you find out Kutner was going to kill himself?
KP: I think I found out when we were shooting episode 17 or maybe halfway through 18, and the first thing I asked David Shore was 'Do you want me to change anything? Do you want this to be informed that he's struggling with something?' And the answer was you know -- not really. This is something that comes out of left field in episode 20, and we don't want to lead anyone on and we don't want to mislead anyone, it just is what it is and there's no explanation for it.

Were those your legs [when Foreman and Thirteen found Kutner]?
KP: They were, yeah.

Can you talk about your decision to leave the show and how long this has been in the works?
KP: Growing up I always had two interests and two passions, one being public service and the other being arts and acting, so it's always been on my mind, I always try to engage in different public service projects, and in the last 18 months having had the opportunity to serve on the Obama campaign, I certainly started thinking about that possibility, and then when that opportunity came up I went to David and Katie and sort of talked about it. It is a little insane because this was an incredible show to have been a part of -- there were certainly no problems -- if anything I was having a great time. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the writers and other actors and obviously David and Katie, so it was tough all around. The word I still use to describe it is bittersweet.

What exactly is the new job?
KP: The job itself is that I will be an associate director in the White House Office of Public Liaison, and what the OPL does is similar in a sense to what I was doing on the campaign. What they try and do is take the administration itself out of Washington, so they go into communities across the country, continue the sorts of dialogue people had started during the campaign and basically ensure that a bunch of citizens' views about their elected officials, about their government are all happening and that they're working effectively. Make sure that a lot of these new voices that have emerged -- especially during the campaign season -- are brought to the table -- Democrats, Republicans, everyone in between - and to build those relationships and kind of embody the types of changes that President Obama had run on.

Just to clarify -- you did talk to the President about this?
KP: Yes, we discussed it briefly.

Does this mean no more "Harold & Kumar" movies?
KP: [Laughs] That's probably true, yeah.

Do you have any plans to run for office some day?
KP: [Laughs] No.

Does the job allow for any acting projects during your tenure at all?
KP: I won't be acting while I'm working at the White House, no. There's no set time limit -- I definitely intend to go out there for at least a year or two and figure it out. So we'll see. I'm certainly not retiring. I'm not packing up and saying, 'I'm leaving Hollywood' or anything, it's just pursuing another passion right now.

Was it really a suicide for sure, going forward?
Katie Jacobs: Oh, it was a suicide. It was a suicide.

Why have Kutner kill himself, instead of sending the character off another way?
David Shore: I guess obviously stirring the pot brings something to any show. Look, Kal came to us with his opportunities and we were very excited for him, but it created a creative problem for us. I'm very happy with the way it worked out. It gave us an opportunity to do something unexpected, and what's fascinating about it is it's a question that House can't answer, and he's the man who has the answers to everything. And it's just so unexpected for the Kutner character and that was what was really exciting about it -- the unexpected nature of it, and the fact that there are no simple answers, and nothing that House can figure out.

Will someone be brought in to replace Kutner?
KJ: There is no replacement for Kutner.

Did you consider any other ways to have the character leave?
DS: We considered many ways to have the character leave. Ultimately this was the story that allowed us to really have the greatest impact on House in particular. There's an impact on everybody, but in particular the man who craves answers not having an answer. That is what really excited us about this story.

unothadeal
04-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Is Harold going with him?

wild1
04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
the perpetual campaign continues

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
the perpetual campaign continues
Wow, you're useless.

Are you Kyle Farnsworth?

wild1
04-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow, you're useless.

Are you Kyle Farnsworth?

i think i could keep the ball in the yard a little better

MahiMike
04-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Kumar and Obama go to White Castle! Sweeeeeetah!

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
This is the craziest thing I've heard in a while. I keep expecting it to be a prank. If it is true... props to Kal Penn.

But I'm not sure that I wouldn't prefer another Harold and Kumar movie.

ArrowheadHawk
04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I watched this last night and I was like WTF?

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
TW... I opened the thread thinking that there was a new Harold and Kumar movie in the works.

Instead I get spoilers for an episode that I have not watched yet.

Thank you.

asshat

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
TW... I opened the thread thinking that there was a new Harold and Kumar movie in the works.

Thank you.

asshatWhat part of...

Warning: This entire post is a discussion of this week's "House." If you care about what happens on "House," but not enough to have watched last night's episode, do not read on.

did you not understand?

asshat

Might start reading from the beginning next time.

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:06 PM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9028/wishthiswasyou.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wishthiswasyou.jpg)

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
What part of...

did you not understand?

asshat

Yeah... because it isnt spoiled before the spoiler alert.. right???

'House': The Truth Behind the Shocking Surprise
By Mindy Monez, TWoP | Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 2:34 PM

Warning: This entire post is a discussion of this week's "House." If you care about what happens on "House," but not enough to have watched last night's episode, do not read on. For everyone else, here's some much-needed explanation about what happened – and why – from cast member Kal Penn and executive producers David Shore and Katie Jacobs.

splatbass
04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
But I'm not sure that I wouldn't prefer another Harold and Kumar movie.

I thought the second one sucked. I'm ok not having a third.

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
LMAO

This intarweb spoiler thing is getting out of hand. If it's that fucking precious to you, watch it live... for fuck's sake.

God forbid you might get a sniff of a hint of what might happen. TW did nothing wrong.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Spoilers shouldn't be required once an episode airs, imo. Just because you have a DVR doesn't mean that discussion should be stifled for others.

KC_Connection
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
What part of...

did you not understand?

asshat

Might start reading from the beginning next time.

This ****ing story was on the front page of yahoo...I couldn't help but see it, and I hadn't seen House in a few weeks. So that sucked.

And Kumar should remain an actor, I don't know what he's doing.

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:19 PM
LMAO

This intarweb spoiler thing is getting out of hand. If it's that ****ing precious to you, watch it live... for ****'s sake.

God forbid you might get a sniff of a hint of what might happen. TW did nothing wrong.

A sniff or a hint is one thing. I would have never opened the thread had the title been more clear.

We have spoiler tags on the board for a reason.

Tell you what tho... in the future, I will try my hardest to schedule my time so I can watch it live, for fuck's sake, so as to not inconvenience the posters on internet forums.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 10:19 PM
This ****ing story was on the front page of yahoo...I couldn't help but see it, and I hadn't seen House in a few weeks. So that sucked.

And Kumar should remain an actor, I don't know what he's doing.
Kal Penn shouldn't remain an actor if he is only going to be referred to as one character instead of his name by everybody.

KC_Connection
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Kal Penn shouldn't remain an actor if he is only going to be referred to as one character instead of his name by everybody.
totally lame, dude...totally lame.

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Spoilers shouldn't be required once an episode airs, imo. Just because you have a DVR doesn't mean that discussion should be stifled for others.

Fine.. then title the ****ing thread accordingly.

"Kumar is going the White House" makes me think... Hey! There is a new Harold and Kumar movie happening where they will probably go get high in the oval office! Good times!

Not... Kal Penn, who played Kumar in two movies but which has nothing to do with the actual thread, is going to do such and such.

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't watch "House". So I suppose maybe I don't understand. But honestly... if something happens on your favorite show, and it creates this much buzz... you're not gonna be able to avoid hearing (or reading) about it.

I suppose you could try to go into a shell and not hear anything, like when I worked Sundays, and didn't want to hear anything about the Chiefs game.

That never worked either.

TW did nothing wrong.

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
A sniff or a hint is one thing. I would have never opened the thread had the title been more clear.

We have spoiler tags on the board for a reason.

Tell you what tho... in the future, I will try my hardest to schedule my time so I can watch it live, for ****'s sake, so as to not inconvenience the posters on internet forums.Holy shit. You're genuinely butthurt over this.

That's amazing.

88TG88
04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
MY NAME IS HAJI !!1!

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Fine.. then title the ****ing thread accordingly.

"Kumar is going the White House" makes me think... Hey! There is a new Harold and Kumar movie happening where they will probably go get high in the oval office! Good times!

Not... Kal Penn, who played Kumar in two movies but which has nothing to do with the actual thread, is going to do such and such.
I agree, actually.

Tribal Warfare
04-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Thank you.

asshat

Okay????????????

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't watch "House". So I suppose maybe I don't understand. But honestly... if something happens on your favorite show, and it creates this much buzz... you're not gonna be able to avoid hearing (or reading) about it.

I suppose you could try to go into a shell and not hear anything, like when I worked Sundays, and didn't want to hear anything about the Chiefs game.

That never worked either.

TW did nothing wrong.

I managed to avoid hearing about it just fine until this thread. In fact, I have managed to avoid all the talk about the show House all season long when I haven't been able watch it live.

I'm not pissed at TW... frustrated but not gonna try and choke the guy out.

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I think some people take their TV shows way too seriously, but whatever.

I've been watching House for 5 seasons now. I have a little time invested in the show... so yeah, I'm irked.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I've been watching House for 5 seasons now. I have a little time invested in the show... so yeah, I'm irked.
You have a point. Much of the power of the last night's episode came from the fact that no one, characters or viewers, saw it coming.

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I've been watching House for 5 seasons now. I have a little time invested in the show... so yeah, I'm irked.Alright.

And I suppose "'House': The Truth Behind the Shocking Surprise " would probably have been a much better thread title.

But seriously, how far did you read? How much do you know? If what you've posted is as far as you got, I'll happily tell you the rest. If you prefer to wait, I'm sure you'll still be surprised by the events of the episode.

If you did read it all, well... you've only got yourself to blame.

LaChapelle
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I didn't know he was on house to begin with. What a let down.

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Alright.

And I suppose "'House': The Truth Behind the Shocking Surprise " would probably have been a much better thread title.

But seriously, how far did you read? How much do you know? If what you've posted is as far as you got, I'll happily tell you the rest. If you prefer to wait, I'm sure you'll still be surprised by the events of the episode.

If you did read it all, well... you've only got yourself to blame.

I got as far as the bolded part of my quote.

I knew something big was going to happen because they have been promoting it as such all week long, I now know that Kal is leaving the show.

For me, that is enough to put a massive damper on what was supposed to be *THE* episode of the season.

No... I don't want to know any more about what happens. I already know enough.

splatbass
04-07-2009, 10:46 PM

I watched it the first two seasons, since then I catch it once in a while, but it is a one trick show that lost its appeal to me. Every show: House is rude to everyone, tries to trick Cutty and break the rules, a patient has a disease that they can't figure out, they try various things, all of which make the patient worse, about the 30 minute mark they have what they think is a breakthrough, but it turns out that it wasn't and the patient gets worse again, then at the 50 minute mark House finally discovers the answer. Yawn.

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I got as far as the bolded part of my quote.

I knew something big was going to happen because they have been promoting it as such all week long, I now know that Kal is leaving the show.

For me, that is enough to put a massive damper on what was supposed to be *THE* episode of the season.

No... I don't want to know any more about what happens. I already know enough.I hate to be a dick, but you sound like a girl who got stood up on prom night.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I watched it the first two seasons, since then I catch it once in a while, but it is a one trick show that lost its appeal to me. Every show: House is rude to everyone, tries to trick Cutty and break the rules, a patient has a disease that they can't figure out, they try various things, all of which make the patient worse, about the 30 minute mark they have what they think is a breakthrough, but it turns out that it wasn't and the patient gets worse again, then at the 50 minute mark House finally discovers the answer. Yawn.
Um, its the continuing story arcs that are the most interesting part. Also, one can really appreciate the quality of writing and acting.

Sure-Oz
04-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I hate to be a dick, but you sound like a girl who got stood up on prom night.

So kumar offed himself and isnt acting anymore?

damnit im going to miss k00mar!

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I hate to be a dick, but you sound like a girl who got stood up on prom night.

You ARE being a dick.

You asked me a question:

But seriously, how far did you read? How much do you know?

I answer your question... then you say I sound like a girl that got stood up on prom night for answering your question?

If you didnt want me to answer the ****ing question then you should not have asked it.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Goddamnit, his name is Kal Penn. He was good as Kumar, yes, but he had other roles! He was good as Dr. Kutner in House, and he was pretty brilliant in the movie The Namesake.

Sure-Oz
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Goddamnit, his name is Kal Penn. He was good as Kumar, yes, but he had other roles! He was good as Dr. Kutner in House, and he was pretty brilliant in the movie The Namesake.

He was great in The Namesake, im a fan of his. Plus he was a terrorist in 24ROFL

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 11:04 PM
He was great in The Namesake, im a fan of his. Plus he was a terrorist in 24ROFL
"My name's not 'Aah-med.' It's 'Ahck-med.'"

Mr. Flopnuts
04-07-2009, 11:06 PM
It was entirely ruined for me as well. I got to work this morning, opened up msn, and BAM, like out of the old batman series, there it was.

It was still a great episode when I watched it tonight, but fuck, talk about a big time let down not being surprised with everyone else when it went down.

04-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Wow, you're useless.

Are you Kyle Farnsworth?Is this the guy that is eventually replacing the kicker whose name we don't say?

SBK
04-07-2009, 11:29 PM
I'd like to add 2 jokes to this thread if you don't mind.

Kumar won't fit in at the White House, Obama already said he prefers coke.

And

Oh great, now there's 2 Muslim terrorists in the White House...
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2007/03/kal-penn-200.jpg

Thank you and have a good night. Be sure to tip your waiters.

88TG88
04-07-2009, 11:34 PM
"My name's not 'Aah-med.' It's 'Ahck-med.'"

Dammit, I thought he said Haji. Where the hell did I get haji from.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 11:37 PM
I'd like to add 2 jokes to this thread if you don't mind.

And

Thank you and have a good night. Be sure to tip your waiters.
Quality additions.

SBK
04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Quality additions.

I had to ruin the jokes by presenting them as such. No sense in pissing off the true believers on this side of the forum. :doh!:

KC_Connection
04-07-2009, 11:41 PM
meh, Kumar wasn't on the show long anyway. It's not like Wilson died or anything.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I had to ruin the jokes by presenting them as such. No sense in pissing off the true believers on this side of the forum. :doh!:
99% of the righties over in D.C. would consider me a "true believer," and I found them to be quite clever.

Mecca
04-07-2009, 11:44 PM
meh, Kumar wasn't on the show long anyway. It's not like Wilson died or anything.

Wilson, that volleyball?

KC_Connection
04-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Wilson, that volleyball?
Ha...no the actor that kills himself in Dead Poets Society, that Wilson.

http://www.housemd-guide.com/season4/4images/401wilson2.jpg

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Definitely my favorite of the new cast of characters. He added a little levity to the show. I was pissed when they did it.

Now that I know WHY they did it, I hope he has fun. The show will go on just fine without him.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Holy shit. You're genuinely butthurt over this.

That's amazing.

He has every right to be.

Threads like this should be labeled "SPOILER". It's always been that way here, nothing has changed.

gblowfish
04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Exclusive footage of Kal Penn's White House Staff Interview.

I think it went well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8dmSsObmkM

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
FUCKING KICK-ASS!!!!

One step closer to my "Holland In America" dream coming to fruition.

God Bless you Kumar.

Tribal Warfare
04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/mIJmjvYrdnaI3TmOwrKpzg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/mIJmjvYrdnaI3TmOwrKpzg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

for people who's shitting bricks for no reason, here's the episode. FWIW, I didn't think it was that big of a deal since the AP an international news outlet reported on it and I thought others all ready saw the episode since this article came through

Brock
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
What, people actually care about this? Every House episode is exactly the same as the last one.

HemiEd
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
. The show will go on just fine without him.Yeah, as long as "House" and his boss stay intact, the show will be just fine.

Baby Lee
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/mIJmjvYrdnaI3TmOwrKpzg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/mIJmjvYrdnaI3TmOwrKpzg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

for people who's shitting bricks for no reason, here's the episode. FWIW, I didn't think it was that big of a deal since the AP an international news outlet reported on it and I thought others all ready saw the episode since this article came through

That's the previous episode, where . . . . errr

Mos Def has locked in syndrome

kstater
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I have the election night coverage on DVR that I haven't watched yet. No one start a thread about the new president until I watch it. mkay? Thanks. Could you please use spoiler tags if you do choose to announce the winner?

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM

The same thing happened when the Sopranos ended and I wasn't caught up yet. I was able to avoid spoiling it because I had my guard up and avoided any news about it. This spoiler got through because I thought on CP there would be consideration to fellow posters about spoilers in general. It's not the end of the world but I would have preferred to not know.

KcMizzou
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
The same thing happened when the Sopranos ended and I wasn't caught up yet. I was able to avoid spoiling it because I had my guard up and avoided any news about it. This spoiler got through because I thought on CP there would be consideration to fellow posters about spoilers in general. It's not the end of the world but I would have preferred to not know.It's that tag line that screws it all up, I guess.

I was confused as to what all the fuss was about, considering the first sentence of the article...

Warning: This entire post is a discussion of this week's "House." If you care about what happens on "House," but not enough to have watched last night's episode, do not read on.

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
It's that tag line that screws it all up, I guess.

I was confused as to what all the fuss was about, considering the first sentence of the article...

I can at least appreciate that the effort was made. Nowadays, every show plasters "THIS WEEK SOMEONE WILL DIE!!!!!111!" kind of bullshit that even a headline like that might as well be a detailed synopsis. FTR I hate that the only way to get people to watch TV, apparently, is to dangle the death of a character in front of them.:rolleyes:

gblowfish
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
If I want to watch something suicidal, I'll just watch the Royals.
OH.........
SNAP!!!!

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I have the election night coverage on DVR that I haven't watched yet. No one start a thread about the new president until I watch it. mkay? Thanks. Could you please use spoiler tags if you do choose to announce the winner?

I didn't watch the episode until last night.

And since the person that started the thread about it when it aired, on Monday night, was nice enough to tag the thread title, I was able to avoid reading his thread until after I had seen the episode.