PDA

View Full Version : Music Best Rock Bands of This Decade

KCChiefsMan
04-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Who do you all think are the top rock bands of the 2000's?? I would prefer if we listed bands that became popular in the year 2000 or later.

For me, it's the White Stripes, I love their music and they are amazing if you ask me especially since it's just 2 people.

So I ask you, what is your top band this decade? Feel free to post a video of your favorite song from them. It certainly doesnt have to be mainstream.

But I'll poll a few bands of this decade

KCChiefsMan
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm mostly asking because I'm searching for good music from this decade as this seems to be the worst decade for it.

Jawshco
04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Actually, I think this decade has some very inventive and daring music. I love the fact that these huge cookie cutter record labels are starting to fall away as private recording and promotion capabilities have steadily increased. It's a fun time to be a musician.

That being said, you left off my favorite bands of this decade: System of a Down, and Disturbed. I don't love Papa Roach, but I think they should be in the conversation as well.

Huffman83
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm mostly asking because I'm searching for good music from this decade as this seems to be the worst decade for it.

It's all perspective...

If you're only listening to what regular rock radio tells you that you want to hear then yeah....it's bad.

But Queens of the Stone Age, White Stripes, Mastodon, The Bronx, Death From Above 1979, Eagles of Death Metal, Mars Volta, Priestess, The Sword, Yeah Yeah yeahs, Andrew WK, Turbonegro.

Not to mention very good albums by "older artists." Foo Fighters, Tomahawk, Melvins, Slayer, Dillinger Escape Plan.

All at least have 1 or 2 albums worth listening to and becoming the soundtrack to your newly discovered sex life.

KCChiefsMan
04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Actually, I think this decade has some very inventive and daring music. I love the fact that these huge cookie cutter record labels are starting to fall away as private recording and promotion capabilities have steadily increased. It's a fun time to be a musician.

That being said, you left off my favorite bands of this decade: System of a Down, and Disturbed. I don't love Papa Roach, but I think they should be in the conversation as well.

ya I'm pretty much still stuck in the 90's with music. I'm sure there are some great ones out there, just not familiar with them. I forgot about System of a Down. I do like their music.

KCChiefsMan
04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
It's all perspective...

If you're only listening to what regular rock radio tells you that you want to hear then yeah....it's bad.

But Queens of the Stone Age, White Stripes, Mastodon, The Bronx, Death From Above 1979, Eagles of Death Metal, Mars Volta, Priestess, The Sword, Yeah Yeah yeahs, Andrew WK, Turbonegro.

Not to mention very good albums by "older artists." Foo Fighters, Tomahawk, Melvins, Slayer, Dillinger Escape Plan.

All at least have 1 or 2 albums worth listening to and becoming the soundtrack to your newly discovered sex life.

:spock:

anyways, I haven't heard of any of them beside White Stripes and Queens of the Stone Age. I am not into death metal at all, but I would like to open my horizons for some new music that I might like.

Huffman83
04-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Nothing mentioned was death metal...one's just called that as a joke...you know...eagles...of death metal...laid back...nevermind you get it. Yeah you get it.

KCChiefsMan
04-08-2009, 06:31 PM
This is probably my favorite song this decade

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zh7UFi2b9xU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zh7UFi2b9xU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Huffman83
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Most of that list is a pretty rockin in an old school sense. You've probably heard the songs in movies and Tv but not aware of it.

I know for a while CBS sports was using the Bronx in between commercial highlights of the game they were showing.

The Sword recently opened up for Metallica. They have kind of a Sabbath/Blue Cheer kind of vibe. Mastodon is just well thought out metal. Not too mathy but mathy enough. Turbonego are just one of those jackass/Bam Margera kind of party bands.

Look up stuff on Itunes or mininova.com (bit torrents.)

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
To me, Tool and Radiohead are bands of the LAST decade, not this one. I think Radiohead's best work was early, and I've never been a big fan of tool.

I know on this board that MCR is a dirty word, but anybody that's spent the time to listen to their last album knows they're more than just another EMO band.

That all being said, I think the best band of this decade is easily The Darkness.

Chiefless
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Eagles of death metal is The guitarist from Queens of the Stone Age and one crazy sounding singer. The first album is definitely worth a spin. Good time party music.

I am liking The Frames. Good, honest rock. They are a bit gut-wrenching at times, but really good at it. So far the album Burn The Maps is the one.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 06:40 PM
It's all perspective...

QOTSA and EODM are two of my very favorite bands. However, much like Radiohead, I think Josh Homme's earlier stuff is marginally better than the most recent stuff.

And I think I've mentioned it here before, but I actually prefer the OTHER half of At the Drive-In - Sparta - over The Mars Volta.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah, the Eagles of Death Metal is a parody name.

They don't sound like the Eagles or like death metal. That's why it's funny. :D

Chiefless
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
To me, Tool and Radiohead are bands of the LAST decade, not this one. I think Radiohead's best work was early, and I've never been a big fan of tool.

I know on this board that MCR is a dirty word, but anybody that's spent the time to listen to their last album knows they're more than just another EMO band.

That all being said, I think the best band of this decade is easily The Darkness.

I'll bite... What is The Darkness all about? I'm always looking for new sounds.

CoMoChief
04-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Sadly................its Nickelback............................ROFL

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I'll bite... What is The Darkness all about? I'm always looking for new sounds.

They're kind of a cross between 80's rock, glam, and comedy.

Their songs all ****ing rock hard, definite AC/DC vibe only with a singer like you've never heard before. It's so funny that you can't help but laugh.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm easily entertained, but this video is quite possibly the greatest music video I've ever seen.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2xBZ3kjeG-A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2xBZ3kjeG-A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Reaper16
04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
The best rock band of this decade (which is to say that they essentially started in this decade, unlike Tool, Porcupine Tree and Radiohead as htismaqe pointed out) is fucking The Mars Volta. No contest.
Other great answers include: TV on the Radio, Animal Collective, Arctic Monkeys, Oceansize, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, System of a Down, Linkin Park (seriously).

Direckshun
04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Radiohead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lstDdzedgcE)
TV On The Radio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2sIHVXKfME)
Battles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w) -- just one album so far, but **** yes.
The Liars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pza75oWGB2c)
Boris (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WkaeBZ1kGU)

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
DFA1979

Chiefless
04-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm easily entertained, but this video is quite possibly the greatest music video I've ever seen.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2xBZ3kjeG-A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2xBZ3kjeG-A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rep.

I'll be looking into that.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 08:43 PM
The best rock band of this decade (which is to say that they essentially started in this decade, unlike Tool, Porcupine Tree and Radiohead as htismaqe pointed out) is ****ing The Mars Volta. No contest.
Other great answers include: TV on the Radio, Animal Collective, Arctic Monkeys, Oceansize, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, System of a Down, Linkin Park (seriously).

I'm guessing if you love TMV that much, you don't like Sparta much at all...

KCChiefsMan
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
The best rock band of this decade (which is to say that they essentially started in this decade, unlike Tool, Porcupine Tree and Radiohead as htismaqe pointed out) is ****ing The Mars Volta. No contest.

I put tool and Radiohead in this decade is because the both have several albums that came out since 2000. At least according to one website I looked at, lol.

Reaper16
04-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm guessing if you love TMV that much, you don't like Sparta much at all...
WTF is Sparta?

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2009, 08:49 PM
WTF is Sparta?THIS. Is.

QuikSsurfer
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Muse

Reaper16
04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
THIS. Is.
I was hoping for that, actually, but with a youtube link following it.

Reaper16
04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Muse
Oh, fuck, Of course. Them too.

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I was hoping for that, actually, but with a youtube link following it.~effort~

Simply Red
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
deftones, The Velvet Underground,

Simply Red
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
"Every new generation MUST be exposed to the Velvet Underground to ensure the proper advancement of the species."

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I put tool and Radiohead in this decade is because the both have several albums that came out since 2000. At least according to one website I looked at, lol.

Yeah, it's just that both bands came to national awareness in the US in 1991.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
WTF is Sparta?

The original band was At the Drive-In. When they split up, two of the guys started TMV and the other guys started a band called Sparta. I personally love them, but they don't sound a whole lot like TMV.

KCUnited
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
It's all perspective...

Props on the Priestless drop. Nowhere near best of the decade, but props none the less.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Oh, ****, Of course. Them too.

Yeah, I can't fucking believe I forgot Muse. As far as serious music, they're probably my favorite in the last 5 years. I just can't get over how fucking awesome The Darkness is.

QuikSsurfer
04-08-2009, 09:01 PM
deftones

One of my favorite bands of all time. Too bad everything they put out this decade was garbage (minus White Pony)

Reaper16
04-08-2009, 09:02 PM
The original band was At the Drive-In. When they split up, two of the guys started TMV and the other guys started a band called Sparta. I personally love them, but they don't sound a whole lot like TMV.
Huh. I obv. knew about At the Drive-In, but didn't know about Sparta. My guess is that you're right, that I won't like them.

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Huh. I obv. knew about At the Drive-In, but didn't know about Sparta. My guess is that you're right, that I won't like them.

I don't know, you might give it a try. I just think that if you're like the bizarro me, you won't dig it, because TMV never set me off or anything...

Simply Red
04-08-2009, 09:04 PM
One of my favorite bands of all time. Too bad everything they put out this decade was garbage (minus White Pony)

Their Cars cover of Drive makes me make a humping motion.

Deberg_1990
04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
No Velvet Revolver?

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Honestly, White Pony didn't even keep my attention for longer than a couple of days.

chiefs1111
04-08-2009, 09:24 PM
No Velvet Revolver?

The first album was enjoyable,didn't care too much for the second album. Have they announced who the new singer is going too be yet??

QuikSsurfer
04-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Honestly, White Pony didn't even keep my attention for longer than a couple of days.

Digital Bath and Change both make the panties drop.

Knife Party, Passenger, and The Boys Republic make the album.

Adrenaline and Around the Fur are still their best, make no mistake.

chiefs1111
04-08-2009, 09:28 PM

Agreed,I like White Pony a lot,everything after that is pretty bad. sad news about the bass player being in a coma and all though.

Pablo
04-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't know, you might give it a try. I just think that if you're like the bizarro me, you won't dig it, because TMV never set me off or anything...I actually just listened to my At The Drive In disc for the first time in a long time today.

The Mars Volta is pretty kickass as well.

But, the best band to span the last couple of decades is Radiohead. They are the alpha and the omega. I'm actually pretty partial to Kid A and Amnesiac, although OK Computer is an absolute masterpiece.

Demonpenz
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
loosly counted as rock-three days grace, breaking benjerman, slipknot, Godsmack, disturbed, papa roach, flogging molly, muse, killers, modest mouse.

Demonpenz
04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
I am pretty sure cohead and Cambria should be on here

chiefs1111
04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
loosly counted as rock-three days grace, breaking benjerman, slipknot, Godsmack, disturbed, papa roach, flogging molly, muse, killers, modest mouse.

Yeah Breaking Benjerman is great,looking forward to their new album later this year..

Demonpenz
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
I heard a band out of omaha today that sounded good called "curve"

Pitt Gorilla
04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
What a terrible poll. No System of a Down, Korn, Slipknot, Queens of the Stone Age, Destrophy, Foo Fighters, Godsmack, yet you include f*cking Nickelback? Seriously?

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-08-2009, 10:44 PM
None of the above.

Talisman
04-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I'd have to say Rock Band 2.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-08-2009, 11:19 PM
I'd have to say Rock Band 2.

I weep for the future.

http://sbqsam.com/maitred.jpg

KC native
04-08-2009, 11:37 PM
The Mars Volta /thread over

Seriously, I'm more of a hip hop head that has played instruments for a good portion of my life and TMV blew me away when I heard them for the first time. They are awesome. I saw them when the came through Dallas-Fort Worth in '08 and they played a solid 3 hour set non-stop. That show was loud as fuck but sounded great so I wouldn't move from the speaker. I worked in a call center at that time and called in sick the next day bc my ears were screwed. The next day I got the "quit or be fired" talk so I quit and the show was still worth it after that.

DaneMcCloud
04-09-2009, 12:56 AM
What a terrible poll. No System of a Down, Korn, Slipknot, Queens of the Stone Age, Destrophy, Foo Fighters, Godsmack, yet you include f*cking Nickelback? Seriously?

Um, all of those "bands" were signed in the 90's.

SBK
04-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Laugh at me, here's your chance. Not so much for what they play on the radio, but I like Hoobastank.

The Killers are pretty good, for what they play on the radio. Does Theory of a Dead Man count? They're ok, so is Shinedown. I also like Alter Bridge.

I suck, pretty much all the stuff I really like comes from the 90's.

KCChiefsMan
04-09-2009, 01:25 AM

oh, I remember foo fighters in the 90's and they aren't exactly what I consider to be "rock" anyways, like I said I'm stuck in the 90's and need some advice on how to rock this decade

BigMeatballDave
04-09-2009, 04:40 AM
For me, its a toss-up between Tool and Disturbed. Nickelback?LMAO

BigMeatballDave
04-09-2009, 04:48 AM

I know Tool has been around since the early 90's, but their best work, IMO, is Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I actually just listened to my At The Drive In disc for the first time in a long time today.

The Mars Volta is pretty kickass as well.

But, the best band to span the last couple of decades is Radiohead. They are the alpha and the omega. I'm actually pretty partial to Kid A and Amnesiac, although OK Computer is an absolute masterpiece.

Kid A might be my favorite single album of all time. I love it.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:12 AM

Korn, Foo Fighters, and Godsmack don't at all belong in this decade. Their best stuff was all done in the 90's (and I hesitate to include Korn, because the team "best" has to be used so loosely. They didn't technically have any GOOD stuff.)

Um, all of those "bands" were signed in the 90's.

Signed is one thing. At least SOAD and QOTSA have put out good music this decade.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:13 AM
oh, I remember foo fighters in the 90's and they aren't exactly what I consider to be "rock" anyways, like I said I'm stuck in the 90's and need some advice on how to rock this decade

Most of these "nu-metal" bands they're listing are 90's bands in my opinion. But then again, I'm not a big fan of Tool, Korn, Limp Biskit, Disturbed, or any of the rest of them. They all sound the same.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:14 AM

Slipknot are my hometown boys, I've run in similar social circles since they were playing in front of 300 in Des Moines bars.

And yet I still can't get into them.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:17 AM
I know Tool has been around since the early 90's, but their best work, IMO, is Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

I was so sick of Tool by the time they released their 3rd album that I actually haven't even heard anything from them this decade. We saw them on the 2nd stage at Palooza in 1991 and thew were awesome. And then my group of friends started listening to them to the exclusion of ANYTHING else and it ruined any appreciation I had for the band.

Great Expectations
04-09-2009, 07:25 AM
How are the Kings of Leon not at the top of this discussion? Also the Raconteurs album Consolers of the Lonely is probably this decade's best.

phisherman
04-09-2009, 07:25 AM
my vote is for wilco. though they've been around since the mid 90's, they've really found their sound and come into their own since yankee hotel foxtrot.

BigMeatballDave
04-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Most of these "nu-metal" bands they're listing are 90's bands in my opinion. But then again, I'm not a big fan of Tool, Korn, Limp Biskit, Disturbed, or any of the rest of them. They all sound the same.I didn't care for Korn until See You On The Other Side came out. Pretty good CD. I can't stand Limp Bizkit. I wanna punch Fred Durst in the face. I don't know why. I became a fan of Tool the 1st time I heard Lateralus, in 2001.
I was a fan of Disturbed from day one. To me, there are zero similarities between these bands.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:42 AM
How are the Kings of Leon not at the top of this discussion?

Good question.

I'm not a huge fan as it's not my type of music. But they are the totally sheik band that everybody is talking about right now.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I didn't care for Korn until See You On The Other Side came out. Pretty good CD. I can't stand Limp Bizkit. I wanna punch Fred Durst in the face. I don't know why. I became a fan of Tool the 1st time I heard Lateralus, in 2001.
I was a fan of Disturbed from day one. To me, there are zero similarities between these bands.

If you're a fan that doesn't surprise me. I don't begrudge anyone the type of music they like, hell my favorite bands reads like the journal of a schizophrenic.

However, it seems you got into alot of these bands ALOT later than I did. In my group of friends, they listened to this stuff OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It got to the point where it was like "Wow. Another clever band detuned to D." And they just started to all sound the same.

Pitt Gorilla
04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Um, all of those "bands" were signed in the 90's.Good point as I didn't see that caveat in the OP. However, System didn't really gain popularity until 99-00, IIRC.

patteeu
04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
"Every new generation MUST be exposed to the Velvet Underground to ensure the proper advancement of the species."

Amen

patteeu
04-09-2009, 08:41 AM

You're almost too late. Maybe you should just hold off for a while and pick back up in the 2010s.

Red Brooklyn
04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I didn't read the whole thread in detail, so I'm not sure if they've been mentioned or not... but for me.... hands down the best band of this decade is The Decemberists. Followed closely by The White Stripes.

Buehler445
04-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I think my favorite straight "ROCK" bank is Seether. First album came out in 2000. I really like their stuff.

(Please note, I live in BFE and haven't even heard of some of these guys)

I think my favorite band of the 2000's is Taking Back Sunday. But I don't know if you qualify them as rock.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
my vote is for wilco. though they've been around since the mid 90's, they've really found their sound and come into their own since yankee hotel foxtrot.

If they're considered in this decade, I agree.

I'll throw in for Arcade Fire, just because I think that THEY think they're the best in the decade which is both hilarious and appealing. TV on the Radio would also be important. White Stripes did a lot for re-popularizing a gritty, garage sound and bringing the blues back into rock. They're borderline from last decade, though, I think.

It's funny to see different people's opinions of what is considered "rock" music. I'm not sure what I consider Korn, SlipKnot and bands like that.... but rock just doesn't seem right to me. My tastes tend to run more toward diverse, alternative artists than the metal side of rock, though.

Pitt Gorilla
04-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I think my favorite straight "ROCK" bank is Seether. First album came out in 2000. I really like their stuff.

(Please note, I live in BFE and haven't even heard of some of these guys)

I think my favorite band of the 2000's is Taking Back Sunday. But I don't know if you qualify them as rock.
Posted via Mobile DeviceGood call on Seether, although some of their new stuff is starting to sound like their old stuff.

After some reflection (and my earlier, 90's-centric post), I'll add Five Finger Death Punch, Mudvayne, and Evanescence. Amy Lee's voice is amazing.

What about Sevendust? They first became "popular" around 99-00, if they ever became "popular."

The Franchise
04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
30 Seconds to Mars

The Franchise
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Good call on Seether, although some of their new stuff is starting to sound like their old stuff.

After some reflection (and my earlier, 90's-centric post), I'll add Five Finger Death Punch, Mudvayne, and Evanescence. Amy Lee's voice is amazing.

What about Sevendust? They first became "popular" around 99-00, if they ever became "popular."

There were popular with me. I saw them in concert on their first tour and have been listening to them ever since.

phisherman
04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
30 Seconds to Mars

you're kidding right?

jared f**king leto's band?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

ghey.

Inspector
04-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm sort of a broken record about this......

My choice is probably pretty obvious and yeah, I'll admit to some bias. But I know there are many who agree with me - maybe not on this site though.

And yeah, they are probably more "pop" nowadays, but I can't stop listening.

Currently on tour with All American Rejects. They had a great show in KC last night.

Keep in mind they have a Chiefsplanet connection too. That's gotta count for something.

I have to have me some VEDERA!!!!!!

KCChiefsMan
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
ya I like some Seether, definately a good mention.

Reaper16
04-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Most of these "nu-metal" bands they're listing are 90's bands in my opinion. But then again, I'm not a big fan of Tool, Korn, Limp Biskit, Disturbed, or any of the rest of them. They all sound the same.
You're high. Tool recorded two of the premier rock albums of this, or any other, decade in Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

NewChief
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM

I agree with your characterization of all of those except Tool. I don't know if I'd throw them into nu-metal or not.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
69 Eyes.

Dirty Rig.

The Franchise
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
you're kidding right?

jared f**king leto's band?

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

ghey.

Says the guy who likes Wilco. Super ghey.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 03:09 PM
If it's on, or ever got PLAYED on "The Lazer"; it's gay, ghey, and gae.

phisherman
04-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Says the guy who likes Wilco. Super ghey.

say what you will about wilco, but i'm not touting a band with a f**king actor as lead singer, slathered in eyeliner.

The Franchise
04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
say what you will about wilco, but i'm not touting a band with a f**king actor as lead singer, slathered in eyeliner.

I listen to their music.....not what he wears.

phisherman
04-09-2009, 03:20 PM
it's just generic emo. blech. their "image" gets them more play than their tunes.

Pablo
04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Brand New's latest album was surprisingly great.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 03:29 PM
it's just generic emo. blech. their "image" gets them more play than their tunes.

EMO:

Looks like the Cure, sounds like Matchbox 20! :rolleyes:

SBK
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
If it's on, or ever got PLAYED on "The Lazer"; it's gay, ghey, and gae.

Is this you outing yourself as an Iowan?

SBK
04-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Seether is good, does Chevelle count as 2000's? I liked Breaking Benjamin too, are they in?

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Ruh?

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree with your characterization of all of those except Tool. I don't know if I'd throw them into nu-metal or not.

For me, Tool are the fathers of nu-metal. They were nu-metal before there was such a term. But that's just my opinion.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 04:13 PM
You're high. Tool recorded two of the premier rock albums of this, or any other, decade in Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Not high at all, well not now anyway.

And like I said, I never listened to either of them. I was sick of them long before the year 2000.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Well, the "Lazer" in Des Moines is owned by an outfit that has at least 1 other "Lazer" that I know of, in Milwaukee I believe.

I'm guessing there's probably a couple dozen "Lazer" rock stations throughout the country.

And yes, Lazer 103.3 sucks ass.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, the "Lazer" in Des Moines is owned by an outfit that has at least 1 other "Lazer" that I know of, in Milwaukee I believe.

I'm guessing there's probably a couple dozen "Lazer" rock stations throughout the country.

And yes, Lazer 103.3 sucks ass.

"Coming up; Rob Thomas"! :shake::cuss:

Buehler445
04-09-2009, 04:24 PM

They released a new album???

Fuck! I missed it!
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
"Coming up; Rob Thomas"! :shake::cuss:

Oh, the Lazer in Des Moines doesn't play Rob Thomas.

But if you're looking for a 14-song set of Disturbed, they've got you covered.

patteeu
04-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't know about "best", but Snow Patrol is a decent 2000s rock band.

deftones, The Velvet Underground,

For me, it's the White Stripes, I love their music and they are amazing if you ask me especially since it's just 2 people.

And since Simply Red mentioned the Velvet Underground, I'll say that the Raveonettes are a VU-influenced band of the 2000s who are worth a listen. Particularly their Chain Gang of Love CD and their Whip It On EP. They are also a 2 person band.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM

I think I can sum up most of that genre with the following:

They did a movie called "Queen of the Damned", which was adapted( and I use that word QUITE loosely )from an Anne Rice novel of the same name.
The movie was complete and utter shit.
And the bands they used to create the soundtrack were a perfect match for the end result.

Reaper16
04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Not high at all, well not now anyway.

And like I said, I never listened to either of them. I was sick of them long before the year 2000.
You really, really, really should. Tool shifted into a progressive rock band.

ZootedGranny
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM

I'm in an extremely small minority, but I put OK Computer third behind Kid A and In Rainbows. Even though I bought OK Computer the day it dropped, it didn't have the same impact on me as the other two.

I don't think Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief are as strong from beginning to end, but they each have about 5 tracks that are personal classics.

L.A. Chieffan
04-09-2009, 05:55 PM
creed, shopboyz, goo goo dalls, limp bizkit, metallica post-andjusticeforall pre-Death Magnetic.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
creed, shopboyz, goo goo dalls, limp bizkit, metallica post-andjusticeforall pre-Death Magnetic.

I just puked.

DaneMcCloud
04-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't care for any of those bands on your list. And considering that "This Decade" probably includes the year 2000, I'd choose the following bands, in no particular order:

A Perfect Circle
Alterbridge
Audioslave
Muse

DaneMcCloud
04-09-2009, 06:08 PM

We signed that band when I was working in music publishing back in like 2002, before their record was released. The lead singer came into our offices and premiered their first video, long before it was released.

I thought it was absolutely hilarious and brilliant. The rest of the management team didn't get it at all (which should be of no surprise because they didn't get Eminem at first either, until the money started flowing).

I think they may have "broken even" but they didn't make any money for our company. And before you knew it, they broke up.

Simply Red
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't know about "best", but Snow Patrol is a decent 2000s rock band.

And since Simply Red mentioned the Velvet Underground, I'll say that the Raveonettes are a VU-influenced band of the 2000s who are worth a listen. Particularly their Chain Gang of Love CD and their Whip It On EP. They are also a 2 person band.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AwzaifhSw2c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AwzaifhSw2c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Simply Red
04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Korn, Foo Fighters, and Godsmack don't at all belong in this decade. Their best stuff was all done in the 90's (and I hesitate to include Korn, because the team "best" has to be used so loosely. They didn't technically have any GOOD stuff.)

Signed is one thing. At least SOAD and QOTSA have put out good music this decade.

NKOTB?

Buehler445
04-09-2009, 06:25 PM

I can't find the newest album. Link?

Pitt Gorilla
04-09-2009, 07:09 PM
No other Death Punch fans?

SBK
04-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Ain't this the truth.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't care for any of those bands on your list. And considering that "This Decade" probably includes the year 2000, I'd choose the following bands, in no particular order:

A Perfect Circle
Alterbridge
Audioslave
Muse

Audioslave is cool until they start playing RATM material. Then it just gets surreal and bad. Oh so very bad.

beach tribe
04-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Sadly................its Nickelback............................ROFL

No. No it's not.

beach tribe
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM

A Perfect Circle
Alterbridge
Audioslave
Muse
Your list certainly is better.

Jewish Rabbi
04-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Seriously? 100 posts in and no mention of Bullet for My Valentine?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F5CnRr_nzc8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F5CnRr_nzc8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Or Avenged Sevenfold?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBu7CDtwDXo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBu7CDtwDXo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Huffman83
04-10-2009, 06:42 AM
We signed that band when I was working in music publishing back in like 2002, before their record was released. The lead singer came into our offices and premiered their first video, long before it was released.

I thought it was absolutely hilarious and brilliant. The rest of the management team didn't get it at all (which should be of no surprise because they didn't get Eminem at first either, until the money started flowing).

I think they may have "broken even" but they didn't make any money for our company. And before you knew it, they broke up.

How could anyone not get the Darkness? I see how it wouldn't make sense if you never heard Queen or T-Rex...But that was such an obvious funny and catchy song.

I still don't get Eminem however...I didn't make any money off of him. Word!

Huffman83
04-10-2009, 06:46 AM

A Perfect Circle
Alterbridge
Audioslave
Muse

Now I don't have a problem w/ 3 of those bands. But don't you think that list is depressing as 3 out of 4 are basically fall outs of bands from the 90's or considered a "side project." Much to Billy Howerdel's chagrin?

htismaqe
04-10-2009, 07:24 AM
You really, really, really should. Tool shifted into a progressive rock band.

I may have to, you guys put too much pressure on me. :)

htismaqe
04-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm in an extremely small minority, but I put OK Computer third behind Kid A and In Rainbows. Even though I bought OK Computer the day it dropped, it didn't have the same impact on me as the other two.

I don't think Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief are as strong from beginning to end, but they each have about 5 tracks that are personal classics.

Interesting. It's REALLY hard for me to rate entire albums. There's 1 or 2 songs on every Radiohead album that I could listen to on repeat for forever and not get tired of them.

For instance, Planet Telex on The Bends, even though as an album, I wouldn't put it in my Top 3.

htismaqe
04-10-2009, 07:30 AM

Of course they didn't get it! That's why they're suits. ROFL

The thing about The Darkness is that the music is AWESOME. The guitar solos are ripping, yet tasteful. The melodies are catchy. The rhythms are crunchy. Musically, they're a very, very good band. Without the vocals, they'd STILL be an AWESOME band.

But then he opens his mouth and the whole thing jumps the shark.

Permission to Land is the only album in my playlist where every song is 5-star rated.

Baby Lee
04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Rock - White Stripes
Arena Rock - Audioslave
Best Overall [U2 brand pop] - The Killers - I seriously love these guys
As 'rock' as James Taylor but very very good - Wilco
And the pick for among best of the 00s that's gonna get my ass kicked - Pink

And although I'm a Radiohead fanatic, I have to cede htis' point that most everything I love most from them is from the 90s

patteeu
04-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Audioslave is cool until they start playing RATM material. Then it just gets surreal and bad. Oh so very bad.

Speaking of Tom Morello, his new 2 man band, Street Sweeper, has a couple of free songs that can be downloaded from the www.ninja2009.com website as promotion for their tour with NIN and Jane's Addiction this summer. RATMish funk rock protest music.

patteeu
04-10-2009, 08:14 AM
And the pick for among best of the 00s that's gonna get my ass kicked - Pink

I didn't like her first CD at all, but she's got a lot of pretty catchy tunes on her others and she's got a great/powerful rock voice, IMO. Better lyrics than the other pop chicks that she's inevitably but unfairly compared to, too.

Demonpenz
04-10-2009, 08:50 AM
dana carrey is one of my favorite drummers.

Baby Lee
04-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I didn't like her first CD at all, but she's got a lot of pretty catchy tunes on her others and she's got a great/powerful rock voice, IMO. Better lyrics than the other pop chicks that she's inevitably but unfairly compared to, too.

Where she always gets me is when she harmonizes over herself, that's some strong hoodoo.

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Where she always gets me is when she harmonizes over herself, that's some strong hoodoo.

You're hearing more of Linda Perry than Pink.

Linda Perry's an incredible songwriter and producer. She did wonders for Gwen Stefani as well.

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Now I don't have a problem w/ 3 of those bands. But don't you think that list is depressing as 3 out of 4 are basically fall outs of bands from the 90's or considered a "side project." Much to Billy Howerdel's chagrin?

Well, music and the music business is changing.

Personally, I find it depressing that Britney Spears is selling out arenas (along with the Jonas Brothers & Miley Cyrus) and Chris Cornell just finished a record with Timbaland.

It's a strange world right now, musically.

Especially when Disney is leading the way.

:Lin:

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Speaking of Tom Morello, his new 2 man band, Street Sweeper, has a couple of free songs that can be downloaded from the www.ninja2009.com (http://www.ninja2009.com) website as promotion for their tour with NIN and Jane's Addiction this summer. RATMish funk rock protest music.

It sounds like RATM minus the ferocity. Meh.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2009, 11:34 AM

Linda Perry's an incredible songwriter and producer. She did wonders for Gwen Stefani as well.

I wonder how many country fans have seen the dude who writes all of George Strait's music? LMAO

NewChief
04-10-2009, 12:19 PM

AND I SAID HEEEEY HEEEEY HEEEEEYYYYYY HEEEYYYYY HEY HEY HEY, I SAID HEY! WHAT'S GOIN' ON!!!

Tribal Warfare
04-10-2009, 12:32 PM
No Distrubed or Godsmack??????? EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 12:34 PM
No Distrubed or Godsmack??????? EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those bands debuted in the 90's, thus not eligible for this discussion.

Tribal Warfare
04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Those bands debuted in the 90's, thus not eligible for this discussion.

Linkin Park, Radiohead, Nickelback, and Tool are?

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Linkin Park, Radiohead, Nickelback, and Tool are?

Yeah, the people that mentioned them obviously didn't read the thread starter.

BigChiefFan
04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Speaking of Tom Morello, his new 2 man band, Street Sweeper, has a couple of free songs that can be downloaded from the www.ninja2009.com website as promotion for their tour with NIN and Jane's Addiction this summer. RATMish funk rock protest music.

Wow, I would have never guessed you are a Morello fan. Looks like we might have found some common ground.

BigMeatballDave
04-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Those bands debuted in the 90's, thus not eligible for this discussion.Disturbed released its debut CD, The Sickness, in 2000...

patteeu
04-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Wow, I would have never guessed you are a Morello fan. Looks like we might have found some common ground.

Can't stand the guy's politics, but I'm a fan of his music. And he gives a good interview. He's articulate and interesting.

Edit: I'm not as big a fan of Audioslave as I am of RATM and the two Street Sweeper songs I've heard.

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Disturbed released its debut CD, The Sickness, in 2000...

Oh, my bad.

I just remembered that they signed their deal with Warner/Chappell Music Publishing back in 1997 for $35,000.00.

I'd forgotten that they released the album in 2000.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, the people that mentioned them obviously didn't read the thread starter.

All of the big 90's bands started in the 80's. And most of them had record deals before the 90's.

Baby Lee
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM

I am well aware that what I'm hearing was written by a non blonde, but Pink's still the one performing it.

The fact that Karen Carpenter wrote Solitaire decades ago doesn't detract from the fact that Sheryl Crow sang the fuck out of it either.

Pablo
04-10-2009, 01:48 PM
They released a new album???

****! I missed it!
Posted via Mobile DeviceNo..it's like two years old..but it's their latest album to my knowledge.

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 01:50 PM
All of the big 90's bands started in the 80's. And most of them had record deals before the 90's.

Well, that's not true. But regardless, the thread was about the best bands of this decade.

Not last decade.

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I am well aware that what I'm hearing was written by a non blonde, but Pink's still the one performing it.

The fact that Karen Carpenter wrote Solitaire decades ago doesn't detract from the fact that Sheryl Crow sang the fuck out of it either.

Linda Perry is an amazing songwriter and producer. To discount her input in Pink's "sound" and recordings is tenuous at best.

Baby Lee
04-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Linda Perry is an amazing songwriter and producer. To discount her input in Pink's "sound" and recordings is tenuous at best.

Don't misrepresent my position. I haven't said anything derogatory to anyone. You're the one on the 'discount the talent of others' kick.
By your reasoning, Tom Brady is just a husk Belichek implements to display his skills.

ZootedGranny
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM

And speaking of RATM (and The Mars Volta previously), last year Zach de la Rocha put out a 5 track EP with Jon Theodore under the name One Day as a Lion.

DaneMcCloud
04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Don't misrepresent my position. I haven't said anything derogatory to anyone. You're the one on the 'discount the talent of others' kick.
By your reasoning, Tom Brady is just a husk Belichek implements to display his skills.

That's not what I said.

Just keep in mind that with a solo artist, the producer can be (and in some cases is more) equally important as the artist.

PunkinDrublic
04-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Well, music and the music business is changing.

Personally, I find it depressing that Britney Spears is selling out arenas (along with the Jonas Brothers & Miley Cyrus) and Chris Cornell just finished a record with Timbaland.

It's a strange world right now, musically.

Especially when Disney is leading the way.

:Lin:

That's why I just about quit paying attention to any mainstream bands that have come out this decade.

One thing that pisses me off is what live nation and house of blues is doing to live music. It seems like HOB and live nation are causing local music venues to go out of business kind of like a Wal-Mart type effect. It really sucks to me because I think one of the things that make a city unique to me are there live music venues.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, that's not true. But regardless, the thread was about the best bands of this decade.

Not last decade.

Uh yes, yes it is. But this is not the place for it as you pointed out.

It took Disturbed three years to write that utterly mediocre piece of shit?!
Good lord...:shake:

Buehler445
04-10-2009, 05:32 PM
No..it's like two years old..but it's their latest album to my knowledge.

Yeah it is. It's a good album, but I don't know if you classify it as Rock.

I actually like all three of their albums, even though they are not even close to the same sound from the first album. Not even close.

Pitt Gorilla
04-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Seriously? 100 posts in and no mention of Bullet for My Valentine?

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F5CnRr_nzc8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Or Avenged Sevenfold?

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBu7CDtwDXo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>Guh. Good call on Avenged. I listen to them quite a bit and, somehow, totally forgot them in my list. Great band.