PDA

View Full Version : Royals Zach Greinke fan club gathers here

Archie F. Swin
04-09-2009, 06:42 AM
This is kid has swagger. He stand calmly on the mound, unshakable, staring hitters down. And, if they get out of line....he throws it at their fuggin' chin! His pitches are sick, at times sicker than his brain. I fear that if someone charges the mound, he'll beat 'em lifeless with the home plate umpire's mask.

The Zack Greinke fan club gathers here...

Go 'head Zack

phisherman
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
he looked pretty much unhittable last night.

Deberg_1990
04-09-2009, 07:17 AM
he looked pretty much unhittable last night.

I see visions of 85/89 Saberhagen.....

jidar
04-09-2009, 07:24 AM
hahahah nice.

petegz28
04-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I was down on the kid when we first got him. Though I realized part of his failure was Baird haning the team on a 20 yr old rookie. But when they moved him to the Pen a few years ago I really started to see hope for him. Last year I was praying we locked him up. The Roylas have 2 good starters. If Davies and Hochevar can work out we really have one hell of a starting rotation.

Nixhex
04-09-2009, 07:42 AM
He's a great young pitcher. I think he's going to be good for several years to come.

wilas101
04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
/agreed

I like the dude because he has that almost "ebby calvin laloosh" quality. Like at any point he'll bean a mascot, laugh about it then turn around with the filthiest 60mph curve you've ever seen.

htismaqe
04-09-2009, 07:58 AM
The Royals need some bats in a bad way. Because Meche and Greinke are too good for their stuff to go to waste. You can't win every game 2-0.

The way these guys pitched in the first two games, and the fact they've pitched like this for long stretches before this year, is phenomenal. If they had just some run support, they'd be talked about as elite pitchers in the AL.

Fish
04-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Wild Thing.....

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7788/greinkeglasses.jpg

tomahawk kid
04-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Kid showed some stones yesterday in a park that hasn't been too kind to him in the past.

I hope he can keep it going.

Fish
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
He's showing a lot of confidence right now... I really like it. I'm almost tempted to say he's finally gotten past the mental part of the game.

Rooster
04-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Wild Thing.....

ROFLROFL

Sure-Oz
04-09-2009, 08:05 AM
He's not afraid to bean Carlos Quentin either

KCUnited
04-09-2009, 08:06 AM
He perfects that change up and it will take him to another level.

Fish
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Pitching coach Bob McClure is working with both Gil Meche and Greinke on utilizing their changeups more.
"I think it's going to help them pitch longer in games, throw less pitches and get more strikeouts. I know it sounds kind of crazy, striking out more and throwing less pitches," McClure said. "But I think it's going to have an effect on both of them. Gil's has come along very well and Zack's is coming."
The changeup might be coming more slowly than Greinke would like. "It's gone backwards a little bit," he said. But his fastball and breaking pitches are right where he wants them to be.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090407&content_id=4149284&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

CoMoChief
04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I see visions of 85/89 Saberhagen.....

He has more potential than Sabe though. which is sickning to think about. I was too young and didn't live in KC area when they won the WS, but I've seen a lot of video on the guy. I think Grienke can be better.

CoMoChief
04-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Wild Thing.....

I'm not kidding I want those glasses.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I watched the Sux network last night and they were sooo offended by Greinke throwing high and tight to Quinten I just had to laugh my ass off. Grienke and KC aren't your ****in doormats anymore bitches... better get used to it. I wish he would have hit him again.

I was cool that Steve Phillips stuck up for Greinke and KC on Baseball Tonight last night after the game... after Kruk had to be his usual bitch self first.

Hootie
04-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't see why Quentin bitches...he only lead the friggin' world in HBPs last year. There is a reason he gets hit so much...he covers the entire plate...if pitchers want to get him out they will continue to pitch him high and tight.

HemiEd
04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
He's a great young pitcher. I think he's going to be good for several years to come.

Been fired up about him since he came up. Glad to see he got over the demons that were messing with him. He has the most talent of ANY Royals pitcher since Busby IMO.

rageeumr
04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Can someone make a deal with him that if he gets 20 wins, he never has to do post-game interviews again? I love the kid, but I've never seen someone so uncomfortable. He's been at this for years now and he still just stares at the floor, trips over every other word and says some of the dumbest shit....

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Can someone make a deal with him that if he gets 20 wins, he never has to do post-game interviews again? I love the kid, but I've never seen someone so uncomfortable. He's been at this for years now and he still just stares at the floor, trips over every other word and says some of the dumbest shit....

Part of that... a large part of it is up to getting some run support and not letting the bullpen blow it. He's been 20 game winner style for a couple years.... but yes I understand your point. He hates cameras.

OmahaChief
04-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't see why Quentin bitches...he only lead the friggin' world in HBPs last year. There is a reason he gets hit so much...he covers the entire plate...if pitchers want to get him out they will continue to pitch him high and tight.

He complains becuase he like most ball players now are little bitches. Take the base and move along. Greike was not head hunting but the Chicago annoucers were saying he should pay and what not. Guys like Don Baylor used to get hit and just walk on down. Now all these Prima Donnas with their 8 milllion a year are soft. I am so sick of these players that feel they need to glare out at the mound if the pitcher brushes them back. Quit standing on top of the plate and it will not happy. The pitcher owns just as much of that space as the hitter. Effin babies.

teedubya
04-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Zach, Meche & Soria are unreal... love these guys. Im soo excited for this baseball season... It's redonkulous.

Pitt Gorilla
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Zach, Meche & Soria are unreal... love these guys. Im soo excited for this baseball season... It's redonkulous.That was my first thought as well. Zach is awesome, but so is Gill. The people that badmouthed Meche's signing should have to eat crow daily.

Hootie
04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
The people that badmouthed Meche's signing should have to eat crow daily.

So just about everyone that follows baseball?

Meche has been a great signing...that's for sure...but it was still a head scratcher when it happened.

Deberg_1990
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I watched the Sux network last night and they were sooo offended by Greinke throwing high and tight to Quinten I just had to laugh my ass off. Grienke and KC aren't your ****in doormats anymore bitches... better get used to it. I wish he would have hit him again.

I was cool that Steve Phillips stuck up for Greinke and KC on Baseball Tonight last night after the game... after Kruk had to be his usual bitch self first.

I dont get why everyone gets so offended by it? Its part of the game. Its how a pitcher protects the plate. More important than ever in todays hitting dominated era.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I dont get why everyone gets so offended by it? Its part of the game. Its how a pitcher protects the plate. More important than ever in todays hitting dominated era.

This is twice in 2 days I completely agree with you. WTF is going on here.

PunkinDrublic
04-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Grienke is an amazing pitcher. I'm proud of the kid for battling back from the mental setbacks he had earlier in his career. A lot of pitchers never come back from mentally breaking down.

gblowfish
04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Me and my pals call Zach "Steve Nebraska" from the movie "The Scout."
Because he's unbelievable, yet a has some shorts in the wiring.

He was da man last night, no doubt.

RJ
04-09-2009, 03:25 PM

Bob Gibson would have singlehandedly whipped the asses of the entire White Sox team just for being crybabies. Then he would have dusted them some more.

SPATCH
04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
he's been my favorite royal ever since he came up.... i, for one, love his quirkiness

oh and it's ZacK

WilliamTheIrish
04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Agreed. He could have gone the way of Jimmy Piersall and wound up in a nuthouse. But he seems to be quite calm.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-09-2009, 04:50 PM
he's been my favorite royal ever since he came up.... i, for one, love his quirkiness

oh and it's ZacK

for real. his quirkiness is part of what makes him so awesome.

beer bacon
04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I look forward to his interviews. He is never boring.

tomahawk kid
04-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I look forward to his interviews. He is never boring.

I'll never forget the interview (believe if was his second season in the bigs) where a reporter asked him a question about the offseason and he talked for about 15 minutes on playing XBOX and watching sunsets.....

Hilarious.

googlegoogle
04-09-2009, 05:10 PM
http://www.lakevalleygolf.com/public/twin2-m.jpg

sd4chiefs
04-09-2009, 06:19 PM

If he is too good he will just end up playing for the Yankees for 25M a year.

beavis
04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
If he is too good he will just end up playing for the Yankees for 25M a year.

I'd like to institute a new rule. Anyone who mentions anything about Zack playing in NY for the 4-years of his new contract gets banned for a week.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd like to institute a new rule. Anyone who mentions anything about Zack playing in NY for the 4-years of his new contract gets banned for a week.

that sounds reasonable.

BWillie
04-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I'll never forget the interview (believe if was his second season in the bigs) where a reporter asked him a question about the offseason and he talked for about 15 minutes on playing XBOX and watching sunsets.....

Hilarious.

It doesn't help when what ever comes out of his mouth, even if it is an intelligent statement, still makes him sound like a moron. He mumbles and his voice is just annoying. You'd think the guy was homeschooled in the boondocks the swamp or something.

Archie F. Swin
04-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Zack Attack!!!

Pablo
04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
He definitely earned a fan after pitching outta that bases loaded situation.

So many sliders...ridiculous.

T-post Tom
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
"Psycho Z". Destroyer of men.

T-post Tom
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
It doesn't help when what ever comes out of his mouth, even if it is an intelligent statement, still makes him sound like a moron. He mumbles and his voice is just annoying. You'd think the guy was homeschooled in the boondocks the swamp or something.

Crazy like a fox...

RJ
04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Tonight's line:

5IP/6H/2BB/9K/0ER

Excellent start, except that he used 105 pitches and only got through five. An ace needs to pitch deeper into games.

wazu
04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Zach's turnaround over the past year has been amazing. He is cool, decisive, and finally believes in his own God-given ability.

This year Zach looks like Neo at the end of the first "Matrix" movie, when he first starts seeing ones and zeros, and decides it would be more fun to kick Agent Smith's ass with one hand behind his back.

alnorth
04-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Zack is now the AL strikeout leader.

More importantly, here are some new quotes fresh from the press:

Greinke on last Wednesday's start against Chicago - "It went well," Greinke said. "I worked on a lot of stuff in Spring Training, but once the real season starts, you kind of just go to what you always do. And everything I worked on, I kind of even didn't use it last game."

"The changeup worked fine in spring," Greinke said. "I can't get all the pitches to work at the same time. It'd be nice to get them all to work at the same time, but no one can do that, I don't think."

Pre-game show had an interview with Greinke:

On video games: "I like games that you play by yourself"

On his proposal: "I did the standard walk around a lake. I should have done it at home, told her some sweet stuff and have the cat...we have this cat and her name is Wilson and if you yell her name, like "WILSON!!!!" she'll come running in to save the day. I should have had the ring on her and yelled for her. That was Emily's Dad's idea but I didn't do it.

On Hobbies: "Tennis, running, mario kart on wii, fishing. But its always different. One thing doesn't last forever."

Mama Hip Rockets
04-13-2009, 11:05 PM
LOL at the proposal story.

Archie F. Swin
04-18-2009, 07:06 PM
This kid is just ill....and I'm talking 'bout his pitching

Archie F. Swin
04-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Friday, April 24 Kauffman Stadium | 7:10 PM CT

DET Rick Porcello, RHP (1-1, 3.75) Tigers (8-6)
KC Zack Greinke, RHP (3-0, 0.00) Royals (8-6)

lets get it on!

Sure-Oz
04-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Zack would be fun to hang out with i bet, he is a crazy dude

Mama Hip Rockets
04-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Friday, April 24 Kauffman Stadium | 7:10 PM CT

DET Rick Porcello, RHP (1-1, 3.75) Tigers (8-6)
KC Zack Greinke, RHP (3-0, 0.00) Royals (8-6)

lets get it on!

man i want to go to that game! too busy down here in springfield this weekend, though. i can't wait to see greinke pitch at kauffman.

Archie F. Swin
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Zack would be fun to hang out with i bet, he is a crazy dude

the dude abides

Archie F. Swin
04-24-2009, 05:11 PM
lets get this party started

KcMizzou
04-24-2009, 08:35 PM
The kid's flat out amazing.

Hell of a tear, he's on.

How about Dayton with that extention? PBJ

duncan_idaho
04-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Zach's turnaround over the past year has been amazing. He is cool, decisive, and finally believes in his own God-given ability.

This year Zach looks like Neo at the end of the first "Matrix" movie, when he first starts seeing ones and zeros, and decides it would be more fun to kick Agent Smith's ass with one hand behind his back.

As a former pitcher... I'll say it's just ridiculous for a guy to have that kind of stuff and that kind of feel for pitching. Unfair.

VERY rare that you seen a guy who has a great slider AND a great curveball. His ability to throw both as strikeout pitches, while varying the speeds on each, is just sick.

And when you combine that with a 96-mph four-seam fastball that has great movement and a low 90s two-seamer with even better movement... well, that's a Hall of Fame type arsenal.

Glad this kid is going to be in KC for a while. Going to be fun to watch him blossom into one of the A.L.'s best pitchers...

KcMizzou
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Glad this kid is going to be in KC for a while. Going to be fun to watch him blossom into one of the A.L.'s best pitchers...It's already well under way, IMO.

alnorth
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Well folks, we are getting close to the point where you could seriously say we have the best pitcher in baseball, and not be immediately dismissed as a hopeless homer.

He doesnt need to pitch complete games or give up no earned runs the rest of the way, but if he just moderately falls back he's an All-Star lock, possibly starting for the American League, and in the Cy Young discussion.

alnorth
04-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Man, of course we all knew this, but its just now really hitting me that we have this guy locked AT LEAST until 2012, and with his personality its not out of the question that we can sign him to an extension.

Greinke could be our 2nd Hall of Famer.

KcMizzou
04-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Well folks, we are getting close to the point where you could seriously say we have the best pitcher in baseball, and not be immediately dismissed as a hopeless homer.

He doesnt need to pitch complete games or give up no earned runs the rest of the way, but if he just moderately falls back he's an All-Star lock, possibly starting for the American League, and in the Cy Young discussion.I couldn't be more happy for the guy. He's been through some issues.

I'm happy as hell that the Royals stuck with him, gave him his time to work things out... and that he decided to hang in there.

Seems like he's really enjoying it now.

(The interviews, not so much... but who cares about that. :))

KcMizzou
04-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Social anxiety is no joke. Some people can't handle walking into a Walmart.

This kid plays a sport in front of 40k+ as a pitcher... the center of attention. And currently, he's one of the best in the game. That's not overcoming an obstacle.... that's nuking one.

tboss27
04-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Man, of course we all knew this, but its just now really hitting me that we have this guy locked AT LEAST until 2012, and with his personality its not out of the question that we can sign him to an extension.

Greinke could be our 2nd Hall of Famer.

Let's not get crazy . . .yet. He certainly has the stuff to be in the HOF one day, but the guy is going to have to pitch consistently well for years - lots of years to be in the HOF. I totally agree he's the best pitcher in baseball, and we have serious reason to be excited about having him signed to a long term deal. He's going to have to have a lot of things go his way though to make the hall, most importantly stay healthy.

alnorth
04-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Let's not get crazy . . .yet. He certainly has the stuff to be in the HOF one day, but the guy is going to have to pitch consistently well for years - lots of years to be in the HOF. I totally agree he's the best pitcher in baseball, and we have serious reason to be excited about having him signed to a long term deal. He's going to have to have a lot of things go his way though to make the hall, most importantly stay healthy.

Ya, I think his only obstacle, and the only reason I'm not asking for an extension on an already 4-year contract, is injury.

If he gets through this year without going down, its worth the risk to at least ask him if he wants another couple guaranteed years to make it a 6-year deal. We'd be totally screwed if he then had a bad injury in 2010, but you dont get these kinds of pitchers on your team more than a couple times in a generation.

KChiefs1
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
4-0
0.00 ERA
36 K's

MLB Network has already given him the Cy Young Award.

T-post Tom
04-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Psycho Z is the new Dali Lama. Thank you Dayton & Zack for getting the deal done.:clap:

blazzin311
04-24-2009, 10:24 PM
All right, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. IMO right now Zach Greinke is the best pitcher in baseball. He's just pitching brilliantly right now. Now I'm not saying he's going to be this lights out throughout the entire season but I'm sure hoping he does. He's just pitching brilliantly right now.

Stewie
04-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I was at the game tonight. Let me just say that Zack is THE MAN in MLB right now. Great command and confidence. Hitters have no clue in the batter's box against him and you can tell by their body language before each pitch. It's a thing of beauty.

Basileus777
04-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I went to a bar tonight and saw a dude with a Greinke jersey (in New Jersey), it was kinda of weird.

alnorth
04-24-2009, 10:58 PM
another classic Greinke quote, on the day he comes in with his long scoreless streak and throws a second consecutive complete game

“I don’t know why there were so many people here today,” Greinke said. “I know it was fireworks night, and I guess there was a (Buck Night) giveaway.

teedubya
04-24-2009, 11:32 PM
so since that run was unearned... is his streak still going? I didn't hear.

Kraus
04-24-2009, 11:39 PM
so since that run was unearned... is his streak still going? I didn't hear.

Negative. Streak over.

At least he still has the 0.00 ERA.

SPchief
04-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I was at the game also and man did he look good. When he walked onto the field for the 9th, the whole crowd was awesome. When the game was over he walked over to the dugout to do the interview with Fox Sports after the game and almost the whole crown stayed hoping he would do a curtain call. Truly a fun game to watch

SPchief
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Negative. Streak over.

At least he still has the 0.00 ERA.

I look at it as this, he's gone now 43? innings without giving up an earned run. Still impressive

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Filthy slider. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

teedubya
04-24-2009, 11:54 PM
New York Times

Streak Over, but Greinke Excels Again
By JACK CURRY
Zack Greinke is not perfect anymore, but he is still undefeated and still one of the best stories in baseball. Although Greinke’s scoreless streak to begin the season stopped at 24 innings, he pitched brilliantly in guiding the Kansas City Royals to a 6-1 victory against the Detroit Tigers at Kauffman Stadium.

Greinke was dominant in pitching a three-hitter for his second consecutive complete game. He used a 97-mile-per-hour fastball, a vicious slider and a curveball that almost bounced to collect some of his 10 strikeouts. Although Greinke (4-0) was nicked for a run, it was unearned, so he maintained his 0.00 earned run average.

Three years ago, Greinke was bored with baseball and left the Royals for several weeks. He was found to have depression and social anxiety disorder, and he returned to the major leagues full time in 2007. Now the calm, confident Greinke barely makes mistakes and is one of the most intimidating pitchers in the major leagues. Greinke has four of Kansas City’s nine wins.

Greinke’s streak ended mostly because of a plodding player’s baserunning. Catcher Gerald Laird tried to tag up and go from second to third on a liner to center field in the fifth. Coco Crisp fired the ball to shortstop Mike Aviles, but Aviles’s throw hit Laird’s foot and caromed toward left field. Greinke, who was backing up the play, retrieved the ball, but his throw home was too late to get Laird.

After the Tigers ended Greinke’s streak, the fans gave him a standing ovation. But Greinke did not respond. He quickly returned to the mound and threw his next pitch. Greinke retired the next 13 Tigers to finish the game in style.

Greinke ended 2008 with 14 scoreless innings, so he had a combined season streak of 38 consecutive scoreless innings. The Tigers scored off Greinke, but he simply started a new streak with four more shutout innings.

kcfanXIII
04-25-2009, 12:20 AM
it was a great night to be at the k. i went by myself, but quickly made friends with the people around me. zack is special, and having a special run. the sellout crowd was electric, what fun it will be when it happens regularly.

googlegoogle
04-25-2009, 12:44 AM
it was a great night to be at the k. i went by myself, but quickly made friends with the people around me. zack is special, and having a special run. the sellout crowd was electric, what fun it will be when it happens regularly.

:)

Mama Hip Rockets
04-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I look at it as this, he's gone now 43? innings without giving up an earned run. Still impressive

yeah, 43 innings without an earned run. anybody know what the record is for most consecutive innings without giving up an earned run? i can't find any info on that.

Swazey
04-25-2009, 03:11 AM
zack is special, and having a special run. the sellout crowd was electric, what fun it will be when it happens regularly.

Yup... and the dude is lovin' it. :D

Pioli Zombie
04-25-2009, 05:31 AM
I went to game too and having been in Boston to experience watching Clemens and Pedro at their best I can say Greinke is just as dominant as they were. With Meche a solid #2 and a lights out closer the Royals will win at least 90 this year. The key is if either Davies, Hochever, or Bannister can break out, then you are talking surprise of baseball Detroit 2006 or Tampa 2008 type thing.
Believe me, pitching is the key to baseball and I've seen what one pitcher can do. Pedro took a mediocre Red Sox club with only one other pitcher winning 10 games, Saberhagen, with 10, and Troy O'Leary hitting cleanup,and no established closer, to 94 wins in 1999.
Not to mention how beautiful the Stadium is. Wow.
Posted via Mobile Device

alanm
04-25-2009, 06:52 AM
yeah, 43 innings without an earned run. anybody know what the record is for most consecutive innings without giving up an earned run? i can't find any info on that.Orel Hershiser had 56 or 58 can't remember which. I don't know if he had a unearned run or two in there as well. :hmmm:

KChiefs1
04-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Scoreless innings
Greinke did allow an unearned run last night, which clipped his scoreless innings streak. However, his ERA remains perfect. Further, if you go back to last season, Greinke finished off the campaign with a pair of seven-shutout-inning outings. So Greinke has now not allowed an earned run in six consecutive starts.

How many other times has that happened in Royals history? Zero.

In fact, no other Royals pitcher has ever had a streak of more than three consecutive starts without giving up an earned run.

How does the streak look when compared to all the other teams in baseball? Well, baseball-reference.com's Play Index allows us to search pitching streaks back to 1954. In doing so, I uncovered three streaks in which a starting pitcher has had six straight outings without allowing an earned run. They are:

1. Don Drysdale, 1968
2. Orel Hershiser, 1988
3. Zack Greinke, 2008-09

Submitted by Bradford Doolittle on April 25, 2009 - 11:30am.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Scoreless innings
Greinke did allow an unearned run last night, which clipped his scoreless innings streak. However, his ERA remains perfect. Further, if you go back to last season, Greinke finished off the campaign with a pair of seven-shutout-inning outings. So Greinke has now not allowed an earned run in six consecutive starts.

How many other times has that happened in Royals history? Zero.

In fact, no other Royals pitcher has ever had a streak of more than three consecutive starts without giving up an earned run.

How does the streak look when compared to all the other teams in baseball? Well, baseball-reference.com's Play Index allows us to search pitching streaks back to 1954. In doing so, I uncovered three streaks in which a starting pitcher has had six straight outings without allowing an earned run. They are:

1. Don Drysdale, 1968
2. Orel Hershiser, 1988
3. Zack Greinke, 2008-09

Submitted by Bradford Doolittle on April 25, 2009 - 11:30am.

:clap:

KChiefs1
04-29-2009, 05:14 PM
will they get the game in tonight?

KcMizzou
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
will they get the game in tonight?Sure looks like it.

KChiefs1
04-29-2009, 05:58 PM

ERA for the best pitcher in all of baseball right now, Royals starter Zack Greinke (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/7257).

Through the weekend, Greinke had won all four of his starts and had yet to allow an earned run while striking out 36 and walking only six in 29 innings. He provided a preview of what was to come at the end of '08 by shutting down the Mariners and Tigers with two scoreless seven-inning performances to close out the year. Over the last half century only two pitchers -- Greinke and Dodgers legend Fernando Valenzuela (33 innings without an earned run to begin 1985) -- started a season with as long a shutout streak. Including last season's final two games, Greinke also tied two other Dodgers legends, Don Drysdale (May 14 to June 4, 1968) and Orel Hershiser (September 5 to September 28, 1988) for longest stretch of games pitched (six) of at least five innings and no earned runs at any point in the season. Watch for him on Wednesday against the Jays as he goes for his seventh no-earned-runs start in a row.

noa
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Just got my Sports Illustrated with him on the cover.
It says:
"He's been a phenom and a bust. He's walked away and come back. He's been a starter and a reliever, a genius and a flake. He's only 25 and right now...The Best Pitcher in Baseball"

Archie F. Swin
04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2009/0504_mid.jpg

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2009, 06:15 PM

DAT'S RIGHT MOFOS

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Just read the article. Another great piece by JoPo.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-29-2009, 06:34 PM

so awesome. i am going out to pick up a couple copies of this ASAP.

Archie F. Swin
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I dont think I've ever bought a copy of SI....this may change

noa
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I dont think I've ever bought a copy of SI....this may change

Bonus incentive: there's a couple pages on the Chiefs in there, too.

The downside is that the article is written by Peter King.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-29-2009, 11:09 PM
does anybody know when SI will actually be out in stores? i went to walmart today and they still had last week's edition on the shelves.

alnorth
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
cool quote from Greinke, complimenting the guy who finally drove home his first earned run. Also a response from Wells.

''Usually, two outs, anyone on base, I feel like I could finish it,'' Greinke said. ''But I threw some pitches right where I wanted to and Vernon Wells , I usually consider him a guy who would chase a good slider. But he did a great job. I guess he just said, 'I'm going to let any fastball go by me and I'm just hitting a straight slider,' and he won the game out of that.''

Wells paid homage to the only pitcher in Royals history to post a 5-0 April.

''He was able to throw every pitch for a strike,'' Wells said. ''He keeps you off balance. He'll blow you away with a 95 (mph) if he wants to. He was dominant, as he has been all year.''

KC_Connection
04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
cool quote from Greinke, complimenting the guy who finally drove home his first earned run. Also a response from Wells.

Ha, Vernon Wells is a guy that would chase a slider. That's all he does. Zack knows his hitters.

ChiefsFan4Life
04-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Huge fan

Now I need to make an investment in a Greinke jersey

Coach
04-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I should also point out that, while Baird was just awful during his time here, he did something once right for a change, and that was to let Zack take some time off and don't think about baseball.

The results came back very positive. Had it been a different way, like denying him for going home and all that, he probably wouldn't be here, pitching for the Royals. I gotta give credit where it's due for Baird, for making a right decision when it was needed.

Coach
04-30-2009, 05:33 AM
does anybody know when SI will actually be out in stores? i went to walmart today and they still had last week's edition on the shelves.

There's one online, if the link is correct, I hope.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1155063/1/index.htm

ChiefsRoyalsMizzou
04-30-2009, 06:12 AM
he's a fu**ing beast

Mama Hip Rockets
04-30-2009, 06:42 AM
There's one online, if the link is correct, I hope.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1155063/1/index.htm

thanks. i want a hard copy as a collectible though.

Sure-Oz
04-30-2009, 07:10 AM
This will be my first SI issue bought

jidar
04-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Underneath Zack Greinkes beard is another hard slider.

Sure-Oz
04-30-2009, 07:38 AM
I definetly want a jersey or do they have a jersey shirt?

I have a dejesus, gordon and teahen jersey shirt

KChiefs1
04-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Central Division lead could be on the line next Monday.....

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=kc

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=581 bgColor=#e6e6e6 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=20><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Monday, May 4</TD><TD align=right>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(openTIXXWindow('http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/MLBEventInfo?gameid=2009/05/04/chamlb-kcamlb-1', 'home'));) Kauffman Stadium | 7:10 PM CT </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/mlb/images/news/probables/probables_divider.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=38>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/cws_38x45.gif (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws)</TD><TD class=textSm width="50%">Bartolo Colon, RHP (2-1, 4.15) (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=112526)
White Sox (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws) (11-10)
</TD><TD class=textXl>@ </TD><TD width=38>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/kc_38x45.gif (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=kc)</TD><TD class=textSm width="50%">Zack Greinke, RHP (5-0, 0.50) (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425844)
Royals (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=kc) (11-10)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/mlb/images/news/probables/probables_divider.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pad5>
Scouting Report:

White Sox: Colon looked as strong as he has in any of his four starts for the White Sox this season during a 2-1 victory over the Mariners in Game 1 of Tuesday's doubleheader. Colon struck out six and walked one, giving up four hits and one unearned run over seven innings. He also pitched out of a second-and-third, one-out jam in the seventh, nursing a one-run lead, while working up his pitch count to 95. Colon has not faced the Royals this season but has a 15-7 career mark with a 4.84 ERA in 25 starts. Colon holds a 6-4 record during his starts at Kauffman Stadium.

Royals: Greinke's string of 43 straight innings without allowing an earned run ended last Wednesday night but the Blue Jays managed just two runs off him as he became the Majors' first five-game winner this season. Greinke went seven innings after going the distance in his previous two starts and he threw 111 pitches. His eight strikeouts gave him an average of 11 per nine innings -- he has 44 in 36 innings so far. Hardly anything has gone wrong for Greinke this season. He even beat the White Sox, a team that's been tough on him in his career. He's 4-8 against them after his 2-0 win in his first start.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

KChiefs1
04-30-2009, 08:28 AM

“So it’s a mistake. They’ll probably sell their least amount of magazines in a long time — except when NASCAR was on the cover.”
--Zack Greinke

jidar
04-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Zack Greinke stares down the money he could have been saving by switching to Geico.

alnorth
04-30-2009, 02:03 PM
couple nice quotes from some MLB scouts

"You're talking about a guy with a chance to win a Cy Young. Maybe two. And maybe three. He has no-hit stuff half the time he goes out there. And I'm not kidding when I say that."

"It's hard to think of another power guy with this kind of command and feel with four different pitches. He's Greg Maddux -- with a much better fastball."

Jethopper
04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
He's the Catfish Hunter of pitching!

Archie F. Swin
05-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Bartolo Colon, RHP (2-1, 4.15)
White Sox (12-12)
vs
Zack Greinke, RHP (5-0, 0.50)
Royals (14-11)

I wont be able to watch/listen to the game....so, here's to you Zack!:clap:

jidar
05-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Greinke is the reason the Royals get work to so many different catchers. You know, just in case he kills one.

Archie F. Swin
05-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Greinke is the reason the Royals get work to so many different catchers. You know, just in case he kills one.

ROFL

KChiefs1
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
"He's Greg Maddux -- with a much better fastball."

:drool:

ChiefsFan4Life
05-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Unbelievable - he is awesome

BigRedChief
05-05-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm also very happy to see the die hard Royal fans getting to see something positive for a change, something to cheer for and get out to the ballpark. You guys are way overdue and are deserving fans of a winner.

KcMizzou
05-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Greinke is magic on the mound

By JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star

The way it works in sports, stars come and go. But every so often, something magical happens. And that sets off a mania. Monday night, Royals pitcher Zack Greinke pitched another masterpiece. Zack Mania is now officially in swing.

There have been a handful of sports manias in Kansas City the last 30 or so years. George Brett almost hit .400 in 1980. That was crazy. Bo Jackson did preposterous things like run up walls and break bats over his head. He was a national sensation. Joe Montana finished his career here and had enough greatness left to almost take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. Chiefs running back Priest Holmes scored 27 touchdowns in a season. That was a record.

Now there is Greinke. Baseball is a game of numbers, and so we can begin with a few of those.

Kansas City beat the Chicago White Sox 3-0 Monday night. Greinke pitched a shutout, his second shutout in less than a month. He struck out 10 and walked none in a 104-pitch masterpiece. His first pitch was a 90-mph fastball and his last pitch was a 95-mph fastball. He has now won his first six games. His ERA is a preposterous 0.40.

“I think that’s the best performance I’ve seen in a long time by any major league pitcher,” Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen said.

It was startling to watch. But there was something even more remarkable than Greinke’s brilliance. The night was alive. Monday night baseball games in Kansas City’s springtime have been dead affairs for many years. It only figures. Monday is a school night. Spring evenings in the heartland can be chilly. The Royals have routinely gotten off to sluggish starts (which have, traditionally, transitioned into sluggish middles and then sluggish finishes).

But Monday night felt like a bit of Kansas City past, going back to the 1970s and 1980s, when the Royals always seemed to win. A crowd of 21,843 may not make people across America gasp, but this was a Monday night in Kansas City, and there were probably 10,000 more people in Kauffman Stadium just because Zack Greinke was pitching. And it was a different kind of crowd, too.

“Please welcome your first place Kansas City Royals,” the public address announcer shouted to begin the day. And everyone cheered. Then Greinke began his slow walk toward the pitcher’s mound. And everyone cheered a whole lot louder.

His story is familiar by now, but still stirring. Greinke first pitched for the Royals as a 20-year-old prodigy in 2004. He pitched with startling elegance — he mixed hard fastballs and ridiculously slow curveballs and nosediving sliders — and he looked to be a star. The Royals desperately needed a star. They were the worst team in the league in 2004. Greinke was named Royals pitcher of the year, and he was so uninspired he only reluctantly even showed up to pick up his award.

He endured a nightmarish season in 2005 — he was terrible, the Royals had their worst season ever — and Greinke would say that baseball lost all joy. In the spring of 2006, at age 22, he walked away from baseball.

At the time he was uncertain if he would ever return. He was found to be suffering from social anxiety disorder and depression. He started to take some medication. After a few weeks away, he gingerly returned to baseball.

Now here it is, three years later, and he’s pitching about as well as it is possible to pitch. Every time he comes out, it is an event, a happening. That’s what it was on Monday. A happening.

Greinke struck out Chicago’s leadoff hitter, Chris Getz, to start off the game. And right away people in the crowd stomped and shrieked. The last few years, with the Royals losing so often, baseball games at Kauffman Stadium have felt more like picnics. You could sense that most people were there to get the freebie promotion or to catch fireworks after the game or to enjoy the opponent. You could not blame anyone — that’s what Royals baseball had become.

But Monday, the fans were locked in from the start, shouting on every Greinke pitch, standing when he got two strikes on a hitter, pumping him up on those rare occasions when the White Sox managed to get runners on base. There was tension in the night, real tension, and when was the last time you could say that about a Royals baseball game in May?

“I’m thrilled to death for our players,” Royals manager Trey Hillman said. “I’m thrilled to death for our fans. … Our job is to inject as much joy into people’s lives as we can."

No Chicago runner even reached second base against Greinke until the eighth inning. Then, with runners on first and second, nobody out, he coaxed Scott Podsednik into hitting a double play grounder. And with the crowd as loud as 22,000 or so people can be, Greinke struck out Wilson Betemit.

“I definitely heard the crowd against Betemit,” Greinke would say afterward.

He gave up a double in the ninth inning and then finished it off by throwing that last hard fastball and getting one of the great home run hitters ever, Jim Thome, to loft a fly ball to left.

“It’s definitely my favorite game of the year so far,” Greinke said.

And then he mumbled: “Maybe ever.”

He was his usual placid self after the game; Greinke does not show a lot of emotion before or after games. It was everyone else who was lost in the excitement.

“Is he married?” Ozzie Guillen asked after the game.

When told that Greinke was engaged, Guillen showed his disappointment and said he wished Greinke would marry his daughter. And then, Guillen remembered.

He doesn’t have a daughter.

http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/1178662-p2.html

Mama Hip Rockets
05-05-2009, 06:56 AM
6-0. 0.40 ERA. 45 innings. 8 walks, 54 strikeouts, 30 hits, 2 earned runs. .189 opponents batting average. .232 opponents OBP.

zack greinke is good.

Hoover
05-05-2009, 07:15 AM
This guy is unbelievable. I was never a doubter but damn can this kid pitch.

Awesome

Fritz88
05-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Keep it up Zachy.

Deberg_1990
05-05-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm also very happy to see the die hard Royal fans getting to see something positive for a change, something to cheer for and get out to the ballpark. You guys are way overdue and are deserving fans of a winner.

No doubt.

Id love to see some figures on how many people have kept season tickets for the past 25 years straight. Id bet not many. Especially after the strike i know alot of people gave them up.

But damn, that was great to watch last night. The kid is amazing.

Hoover
05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I just wish I wasn't plaing against him in my fantasy league this week, He's a two start picture and put up 47 pts already.

eazyb81
05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
“It’s definitely my favorite game of the year so far,” Greinke said.

And then he mumbled: “Maybe ever.”

That's awesome.

Four plus pitches, uncanny command and poise. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Nixhex
05-05-2009, 07:47 AM
It's good to see him having fun at the ballpark. I think as long as that continues so will his dominant pitching.

soundmind
05-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Zack Greinke is in your kitchen, eating your food.

Nzoner
05-05-2009, 08:04 AM
That shit eating grin Zack had immediately after the game was great and then in the interview when he made the comment about he'd heard that kind of crowd noise for Soria but never for himself.

Delano
05-05-2009, 08:14 AM
This pains me, but can a Twins fan join?

That mother fucker is good.

teedubya
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/04/28/zack.greinke/zack-greinke.jpg

Archie F. Swin
05-05-2009, 09:55 AM

That mother ****er is good.

this is beyond baseball

teedubya
05-05-2009, 09:57 AM
so glad I was there last night with my 7 year old son. What a blast! i didnt want the game to end!

DeezNutz
05-05-2009, 10:02 AM

That mother ****er is good.

Yes.

But first, you'll have to truffle shuffle.

blazzin311
05-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Found this post on espn, KC royals board and thought it was worthy of being posted here as well. Interesting little tidbit about Grienke's complete games:

Look at the stats for 2008 complete games for the season

12 with 3 or more complete games in 2008

CC. Sabathia 10

Roy Halladay 9

Ben Sheets 5

Cliff Lee 4

3-complete games

Brandon Webb

Kevin Slowey

James Shields

Johan Santana

Roy Oswalt

Kevin Millwood

John Lackey

Matt Garza

4 pitchers in all of MLB had more complete games in a season the Zack has in the first 6 weeks of the season.

Delano
05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes.

But first, you'll have to truffle shuffle.

In.

http://www.mutineermagazine.com/img/blog/truffleshuffle.jpg

Radar Chief
05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
In.

http://www.mutineermagazine.com/img/blog/truffleshuffle.jpg

:LOL: :clap:

I’m going to have to go to a game this year and watch him pitch in person.

Fish
05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
The K was alive last night with more fan passion than I've felt in a few years. The last inning when Zack came trotting back out to the mound, damn near every person at the park was on their feet cheering. On a Monday night, the beginning of May, we rocked the house pretty good.

This feels great.....

Archie F. Swin
05-05-2009, 10:33 AM
The Royals getting good press in May...must be a fluke

blazzin311
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Yea watching that game on TV last night I got f***ing chills. My only regret is that I wasn't there myself. But I plan on being back in KC this summer for at least 1 hopefully 2 of Greinke's starts.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Zack Greinke rules the universe... even if he does sound like a 12 year old.

CoMoChief
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Zach, Meche & Soria are unreal... love these guys. Im soo excited for this baseball season... It's redonkulous.

Meche........ehhh I wouldnt say unreal. Unreal means Cy Young potential which he doesn't have. Zack DOES have it. Havent seen a Royals pitcher be that unhittable since David Cone. Soria also is another person that has the IT factor.

Archie F. Swin
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Would it kill ESPN or FOX to make a Natl game out of one of his upcoming appearances? The only time I see the Royals play is when they play the Rangers.

CoMoChief
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Would it kill ESPN or FOX to make a Natl game out of one of his upcoming appearances? The only time I see the Royals play is when they play the Rangers.

Yes, actually it would kill them to do so. The Royals are:

A. not a team located on the east coast
B. not a team in the midwest that's consistantly good
C. above all else, they are extremely small market
D. the Royals still suck ass to most people in America

Archie F. Swin
05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, actually it would kill them to do so. The Royals are:

A. not a team located on the east coast
B. not a team in the midwest that's consistantly good
C. above all else, they are extremely small market
D. the Royals still suck ass to most people in America

but...ummm....we've got.......... a big video board

bluehawkdoc
05-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Oh, oh, I've got it! The answer is A. I'm real good at multiple choice questions.

By the way, most people in America can suck some ass if they don't like what the Royals are cookin'.

kc rush
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
You are all racists according to Tony.

Kansas City's Latest Great White Hope

LINK (http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2009/05/kansas-citys-latest-great-white-hope.html)

Local white people celebrating their similarly-skin-colored heroes have once again mistaken a slightly better than mediocre performance for The Second Coming.

It's like this town forgot that Jared Allen just jumped ship for tens of millions of dollars and never thought about Kansas City again.

Let me be the first to note that Royals Pitcher Zack Greinke is nothing but a lot of hype at this point. This early in the season there is no telling who is going to be a factor down the line and the locals are silly to take bored sports newsies at their word.

Reggie Jackson was called Mr. October for a reason . . . It's because he played when it mattered and didn't burn out before the All-Star break.

I'm not afraid to note that all of this Greinke hype is yet again tacit racism on the part of Kansas City sports fans. Looking for a white face to cheer for is an ugly local tradition that big media loves to feed into and once again playing to this town's worst instincts proves profitable.

Let's get is straight . . . In terms of MLB, Greinke is a non-factor so far and IF HE DOES prove to have some talent in the long term that only means that he'll leave Kansas City in a hurry. So overly enthusiastic white people wanting the baseball star to have sex with their family should probably calm down . . . Because the only thing people from Kansas City can count on is disappointment.

Thig Lyfe
05-05-2009, 11:45 AM
lol

Deberg_1990
05-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Meche........ehhh I wouldnt say unreal. Unreal means Cy Young potential which he doesn't have. Zack DOES have it. Havent seen a Royals pitcher be that unhittable since David Cone. Soria also is another person that has the IT factor.

Meche just seems like a typical workhorse type. He can be good, but doesnt really seem dominating. He will probably always give you 200+ innings and hover around 12-15 wins.

Grienke truly is special. He could have a Pedro Martinez/Randy Johnson like run.

Deberg_1990
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM

LINK (http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2009/05/kansas-citys-latest-great-white-hope.html)

Local white people celebrating their similarly-skin-colored heroes have once again mistaken a slightly better than mediocre performance for The Second Coming.

It's like this town forgot that Jared Allen just jumped ship for tens of millions of dollars and never thought about Kansas City again.

Let me be the first to note that Royals Pitcher Zack Greinke is nothing but a lot of hype at this point. This early in the season there is no telling who is going to be a factor down the line and the locals are silly to take bored sports newsies at their word.

Reggie Jackson was called Mr. October for a reason . . . It's because he played when it mattered and didn't burn out before the All-Star break.

I'm not afraid to note that all of this Greinke hype is yet again tacit racism on the part of Kansas City sports fans. Looking for a white face to cheer for is an ugly local tradition that big media loves to feed into and once again playing to this town's worst instincts proves profitable.

Let's get is straight . . . In terms of MLB, Greinke is a non-factor so far and IF HE DOES prove to have some talent in the long term that only means that he'll leave Kansas City in a hurry. So overly enthusiastic white people wanting the baseball star to have sex with their family should probably calm down . . . Because the only thing people from Kansas City can count on is disappointment.

heh, so if Grienke was black and put up the same stats the fans wouldnt cheer? Thats laughable. Someone needs to remind this clown one of KC's greatest sports heros is Derrick Thomas.

Thig Lyfe
05-05-2009, 11:55 AM
heh, so if Grienke was black and put up the same stats the fans wouldnt cheer? Thats laughable. Someone needs to remind this clown one of KC's greatest sports heros is Derrick Thomas.

I suspect he's writing a Whitlock parody.

bluehawkdoc
05-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Move over Nick "Assclown" Athan, there is a new buffoon, I mean, sheriff in town.

ChiefsFan4Life
05-05-2009, 07:40 PM
That shit eating grin Zack had immediately after the game was great and then in the interview when he made the comment about he'd heard that kind of crowd noise for Soria but never for himself.

Damn I wish I could see the post game interviews

Are they posted anywhere?

jidar
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM

What a fucking douchebag

jidar
05-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Grienke could kill a clown by throwing tennisballs at him.

KChiefs1
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=581 bgColor=#e6e6e6 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=20><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Saturday, May 9</TD><TD align=right>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/schedule/icon_ticket.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(openNonTIXXWindow('http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0900423E9B0A4DF7?brand=none', 'away'));) Angel Stadium of Anaheim | 8:05 PM CT </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=38>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/kc_38x45.gif (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=kc)</TD><TD class=textSm width="50%">Zack Greinke, RHP (6-0, 0.40) (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425844)
Royals (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=kc) (15-11)

</TD><TD class=textXl>@ </TD><TD width=38>http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/ana_38x45.gif (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=ana)</TD><TD class=textSm width="50%">Joe Saunders, LHP (4-1, 3.29) (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=434578)
Angels (http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=ana) (11-13)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=pad5>
Scouting Report:
Royals: How long can this go on? Greinke's second shutout came at the expense of the White Sox last Monday night at Kansas City. That made him unbeaten and virtually unscored upon in six starts and left him as the Majors' best in ERA and strikeouts (54). Catcher Miguel Olivo said Greinke was almost perfect, hitting his glove at will as he stopped the Sox on six hits, mostly flares and infield grounders. Greinke struck out 10 and didn't walk a batter -- he's issued just eight walks all season. So what's his history against the Angels? Not too good -- just 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA in four games. But he did beat them the only time he faced them last year. This will be his first career start at Angel Stadium.

Angels: Saunders won his third straight decision in his last start against Oakland on Monday night. He has allowed two or fewer earned runs in his four wins while giving up nine runs combined in his loss and no-decision. He threw 110 pitches against the A's, his highest pitch count by 17 on the season. He's facing the Royals for just the second time in his career. He beat them on Sept. 19, 2006 in Kansas City, giving up a run on seven hits over seven innings. He recorded eight strikeouts in that game.

Coach
05-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Coming into the Chicago game his ERA+ was 941.

It is now 1173.

jidar
05-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Greinke wins Risk without taking Australia first. He's the fucking man.

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Zack Greinke stares down his cat before he pours the Meow Mix

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2009, 06:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Greinke

from now on....I'm calling him Donald

Dartgod
05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Coming into the Chicago game his ERA+ was 941.

It is now 1173.
What is ERA+?

irishjayhawk
05-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Some quote goodness:

“There’s a lot more interesting stuff going on right now They should have something else on the cover. Playoff basketball or something else. So it’s a mistake. They’ll probably sell their least amount of magazines in a long time - except when NASCAR was on the cover.”

"They just said rebuilding because the team was bad."

"Soria, you runnin' today? You're goin' down then. I'm gonna so much faster than you, you're going to be eating my dust."

"I was going to race Soria but he backed down. He said he's too tight today. He's not ready for a real challenge."

"I just saved your life Soria"

"That's not a typical Brad Pitt movie. He's just a guy."

"I did the standard walk around a lake. I should have done it at home, told her some sweet stuff and have the cat...we have this cat and her name is Wilson and if you yell her name, like 'WILSON!!!!' she'll come running in to save the day. I should have had the ring on her and yelled for her. That was Emily's Dad's idea but I didn't do it."

About Olivo: "He's probably the best catcher in the world"

"There definitely will be flying cars, but whether there'll be flying cars for most people to use, it'll probably take a long time to straighten everything out, all the rules and hassles. It'll take a while to figure out how to keep people from crashing into each other."

"Nice effort by the defense. They didn't get tired of running after balls to the wall. I was pretty impressed by that."

"She, like, has a special mouth . . . so that her breath is usually pretty good, but she complains about mine a lot."

"My first step was to try to get mentally right, and I don't know if I'll ever be mentally right, but I'll try and I'll get as close as I can."

“Everybody was mad at me for only throwing fastballs and change-ups. So I threw some first-pitch strikes with curveballs. It’s an easy way to get a strike. It’s not like it’s a real hard pitch to throw. You just throw it for a strike."

"Anything after that would be too late for me, anyway. I was looking at colleges for me to go to, schools in vacation places like Hawaii, just to get away from everyone I knew, so I could start over. I also thought about mowing lawns for a living because I like to be outdoors. "

"Yeah, I brought my Wii home anyway. We're 0-4 with it...after we win today it's back in here. Ross Gload, he's so ticked right now."

"The last thing in the world I expected was Billy to play that kind of defense. For the first month of the season, he's definitely been an above-average first baseman. That's hard for me to say because I never thought anyone would say that but him and his family."

"The biggest difference was probably the fans; they were great today. And the White Sox were probably the second-biggest reason. It was really a lot of fun."

''I'm kind of scared to throw to him. For some reason, he's probably the one I'm scaredest of. I have like nightmares about him."

"I was about 20 times smarter before this season started than I am now."

When asked how he got dumber: "Probably (from) listening to about a million different ways on how to get people out. So now I know everything that's possible to get people out, so maybe I am smarter," he said. "But before I didn't even know anything so it was easier, I guess, because you didn't even have to think about it."

"I just wanted to make this clear: I can't live without baseball...It's to the point where it caused problems with my girlfriend because she knows baseball is more important than her. I say, 'Hey, I'm sorry. I love the game that much. You're not even close to being No. 1 -- that's how much I love baseball. I couldn't live without it."

"If I hit a guy, I want him to be hurt, at least feel it.”

"He's my kind of guy. He's a Wal-Mart guy. I'm not a real big-time guy, spending a bunch of money on nonsense stuff. Me and him have a lot in common."

"Seriously, that was the best pitch I've ever made that got hit over the fence. That was probably the only pitch today that I did exactly what I wanted to do. When I bunted and bunted it foul, I was like, 'How did you hit that?" That pitch was everything I wanted to do. It just shows you how good of a hitter he is."

“Kansas City is actually a great town for me, it’s pretty small, but it’s big, too. There’s plenty of stuff to do. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone say something mean to my face. They may not like me, but I never see that side of them. It’s a family town. I like that. That’s what I don’t like about some other cities.”

teedubya
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
“Kansas City is actually a great town for me, it’s pretty small, but it’s big, too. There’s plenty of stuff to do. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone say something mean to my face. They may not like me, but I never see that side of them. It’s a family town. I like that. That’s what I don’t like about some other cities.”

This is why he signed long term... and may sign long term after this contract is out. Im stoked that he loves KC so much...

great quotes IrishJayHawk

KChiefs1
05-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Today's Zackmania stories:

Greinke, Royals are having fun again

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By John Ryan
San Jose Mercury News
<!--date-->05/07/2009 06:44:00 PM PDT

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>They're trying something in Kansas City that's just crazy enough to work.

The Royals have a winning team and a budding superstar who has been around long enough that fans actually know and care about him. You watching this, A's?

Zack Greinke's blazing start is more than just a head-turner. It's shaping up as a once-in-a-generation event, the likes of which may not have been seen in baseball since Fernandomania in 1981. It would be a runaway for uplifting baseball story of the year if not for the Yankees' many embarrassments regarding their new stadium.

For Greinke's start Monday night against the White Sox, which came after he was Sports Illustrated's cover boy, the Royals drew 21,843 fans. That doesn't sound like much, but included more than 6,500 walk-up tickets.

Before that game, Royals first baseman Billy Butler told teammates, "I'm guaranteeing a shutout tonight. What do you think?" Final score: Royals 3, White Sox 0.

The blog of Kansas City Star columnist Joe Posnanski has been working overtime. The best nugget: Dating to last season, Greinke has won nine consecutive starts, with an ERA of 0.69. Since 1954, 50 pitchers have won nine consecutive starts. Only one, Bob Gibson in 1968, had a lower ERA than Greinke.

And to top it all off, Greinke is an aw-shucks guy with the compelling backdrop of having walked away from the game three years ago, suffering from depression and social anxiety disorder.

In his column for the Star, Posnanski encapsulates the frenzy through the White Sox manager:

"Is he married?" Ozzie Guillen asked after the game.

When told that Greinke was engaged, Guillen showed his disappointment and said he wished Greinke would marry his daughter. And then, Guillen remembered.

He doesn't have a daughter.

Posted: Thursday May 7, 2009 7:56 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=col0>Greinke's start fueling Royals' resurgence

<TABLE class=cnnstorycontenttable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cnnstorycontentarea><TABLE class=cnninlineright cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -A carnival of excitement has descended on Kauffman Stadium this season thanks to an unassuming pitcher who once said his head and arm don't always agree on what to throw.

The Royals are winning, Kauffman Stadium is hopping and the nation is taking notice - all because of Zack Greinke.
The quirky right-hander with the nearly unhittable stuff has created a stir in Cowtown that's drawing comparisons to Fernandomania in Los Angeles during the 1980s.

Zack-mania, Zack-tacular, Gettin' Greinke Wit It - whatever you want to call it - has helped make baseball fun in Kansas City for the first time since George Brett chased .400 and put too much pine tar on his bat.

"I'm not trying to jinx him, but what he's doing is historic in nature,'' Royals right-hander Brian Bannister said. "The level he's pitching at, it kind of makes you want to sit back and grab some popcorn because it's impressive what he's doing.''

Royals fans have been waiting a long time for this. Ronald-Reagan-was-still-president long. That's one winning season the past 14 years, no playoff appearances since beating cross-Missouri rival St. Louis in the 1985 World Series.

Losing wasn't just expected, it became accepted, transforming the franchise's image from being small-town scrappers to win-padding fodder for baseball's elite teams.
That's changed this year.

The Royals had a winning record in April (12-10) for the first time since 2003 and were atop the division after the season's first month for just the second time in their 40-year history. May has done nothing to stop them; Kansas City went six games above .500 for the first time since Sept. 2006 after beating Seattle on Wednesday and entered the weekend still leading the AL Central.

Now, baseball fans and the national media are paying attention to the Royals for something other than their ineptitude. Locals and the sports radio gang are actually talking about the Royals, not the Chiefs' sixth-round draft pick. OK, maybe they still are, but at least the Royals are now barging in on the conversation.

Kauffman Stadium, tricked out after a $250 million renovation, is juiced again - and not because of the carousel and putt-putt course in the outfield. The Royals averaged more than 19,000 fans at the new K the season's first month and sold 11,000 same-day tickets, including more than 6,500 walk-ups for Greinke's last start, Monday against the White Sox.

"We're spreading a little joy right now,'' Royals manager Trey Hillman said. "People are excited about it. It's very nice, makes it nice to come to work.''

The motor powering this gear of glee is Greinke.

The 25-year-old with the check-his-ID dimples and a nasty array of pitches has made dominating look easy.

He leads the majors with six wins, two shutouts, three complete games and 54 strikeouts. His 0.40 ERA is nearly a run lower than anyone else in baseball and he hasn't allowed a run in 15 road innings. Greinke is the third pitcher to win his first six starts with an ERA under 0.50, joining Walter Johnson in 1913 and Fernando Valenzuela in 1981.

So what if he has a vampire-like aversion to the spotlight and his sentences occasionally trail off to somewhere deep in his mind.

"He's the best in the league right now,'' Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen said after Greinke shut out the White Sox with a six-hitter on Monday.

That Greinke's run is being compared to Fernandomania is perhaps a bit unfair.

When Valenzuela burst onto the LA scene with the Dodgers in 1981, winning his first eight starts, the beefy lefty from Mexico played along, always smiling, his limited English becoming part of the allure. With his eye-to-the-sky delivery, wicked screwball and a happy-go-lucky attitude, Valenzuela became an icon, had Hispanic fans swarming Dodgers Stadium, fans everywhere scrambling to buy his rookie card.

For Greinke's start to reach Fernandomania proportions, he'd have to at least show a passing interest in the limelight. Yeah, right.

The guy hates attention. Would rather pitch in a closet than with even 10 people watching. Still gets uncomfortable talking about himself after five seasons in the majors.

Zack-mania? Not if he has anything to do with it.

"There won't be,'' said Greinke, who's next scheduled start is Saturday against the Angels. "I guarantee it.''

It might be something he can't control.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/1.gif

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/wires/05/07/2010.ap.bba.royals.the.greinke.effect.adv09.0906/

KcMizzou
05-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Before that game, Royals first baseman Billy Butler told teammates, "I'm guaranteeing a shutout tonight. What do you think?" Final score: Royals 3, White Sox 0.
They left out that Butler added that it was because he'd been playing awesome defense. (tongue firmly in cheek)

This is so much fun...

KChiefs1
05-07-2009, 08:16 PM
MLB Network is going to show next Thursday's game vs Orioles. Is Zack pitching that night?

MLB NETWORK THURSDAY NIGHT BASEBALL SCHEDULE
April 9 - 7:00 p.m. Brewers @ Giants - Matt Vasgersian & Joe Magrane
April 16 - 1:00 p.m. Indians @ Yankees - Bob Costas, Harold Reynolds & Jim Kaat
April 16 - 8:00 p.m. Blue Jays @ Twins - Victor Rojas & Dan Plesac
April 23 - 8:00 p.m. Dodgers @ Astros - Matt Vasgersian & Joe Magrane
April 30 - 7:00 p.m. Red Sox @ Rays - Victor Rojas & Joe Magrane
May 7 - 7:00 p.m. Phillies @ Mets - Bob Costas & Al Leiter
May 14 - 8:00 p.m. Orioles @ Royals - TBD
May 21 - 8:00 p.m. Cubs @ Cardinals - TBD

alnorth
05-07-2009, 08:20 PM
What is ERA+?

It is a stat that tries to account for the parks you pitch in, and rebases to 100, so that a 100 ERA+ is an "average" pitcher.

Here's the AL ERA+ standings:

1. Greinke (KCR) 1168 ROFL
2. Bedard (SEA) 195
3. Braden (OAK) 177
4. Richmond (TOR) 175
5. Wakefield (BOS) 174
6. Millwood (TEX) 173
7. Galarraga (DET) 158
8. Jackson (DET) 158
9. Washburn (SEA) 156
10. Weaver (LAA) 155

He's obviously going to fall off the mountain when he gives up a few more runs, but its still a fun stat to look at right now.

KCUnited
05-07-2009, 08:21 PM
MLB Network is going to show next Thursday's game vs Orioles. Is Zack pitching that night?

MLB NETWORK THURSDAY NIGHT BASEBALL SCHEDULE
April 9 - 7:00 p.m. Brewers @ Giants - Matt Vasgersian & Joe Magrane
April 16 - 1:00 p.m. Indians @ Yankees - Bob Costas, Harold Reynolds & Jim Kaat
April 16 - 8:00 p.m. Blue Jays @ Twins - Victor Rojas & Dan Plesac
April 23 - 8:00 p.m. Dodgers @ Astros - Matt Vasgersian & Joe Magrane
April 30 - 7:00 p.m. Red Sox @ Rays - Victor Rojas & Joe Magrane
May 7 - 7:00 p.m. Phillies @ Mets - Bob Costas & Al Leiter
May 14 - 8:00 p.m. Orioles @ Royals - TBD
May 21 - 8:00 p.m. Cubs @ Cardinals - TBD
Gibbons said they haven't decided this morning on the radio. Could be the 15th with the day off coming. Haven't heard anything else since.

SPATCH
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
It is a stat that tries to account for the parks you pitch in, and rebases to 100, so that a 100 ERA+ is an "average" pitcher.

Here's the AL ERA+ standings:

1. Greinke (KCR) 1168 ROFL
2. Bedard (SEA) 195
3. Braden (OAK) 177
4. Richmond (TOR) 175
5. Wakefield (BOS) 174
6. Millwood (TEX) 173
7. Galarraga (DET) 158
8. Jackson (DET) 158
9. Washburn (SEA) 156
10. Weaver (LAA) 155

He's obviously going to fall off the mountain when he gives up a few more runs, but its still a fun stat to look at right now.

ok that's just plain neat...

Archie F. Swin
05-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Donald has won the fans back

WilliamTheIrish
05-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Kansas City's Latest Great White Hope[/SIZE][/B]

Here's the most hilarious response to Tony's blog:

thanks for the swine flu tony...now shut the fuck up and swim on home

Archie F. Swin
05-21-2009, 09:54 AM
first pitch 1:10pm

KChiefs1
05-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Zack Fun Facts:

Zack has more complete games this year in May than the Royals had in 2007-2008 seasons combined. Zack's the 5th pitcher to have at least five complete games in his first 10 starts in the last 15 seasons.

RedDread
05-26-2009, 10:01 PM
The boy can pitch but don't put him in front of a microphone. *cringe*

SPchief
05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
The boy can pitch but don't put him in front of a microphone. *cringe*

He may be awful on the mike, but he atleast tells us what he thinks about what's going on and is completly honest

Sure-Oz
05-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I still think him and johnny damon would have interesting conversations considering damon talks pretty slow himself

KChiefs1
05-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Mitch Williams & Dan Plesac have started a new thing with the "Z" on MLBN.
They are doing a Zorro imitation everytime they show a highlight of Zack striking someone out & doing the slash like Zorro with the sword.
It's pretty funny & quite accurate too.

alnorth
05-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Updated MLB ERA+ Standings, they are still rediculous.

1. Zack Greinke - 553
2. Johan Santana - 293
3. Wandy Rodriguez - 254
4. Jair Jurrjens - 211
5. Johnny Cueto - 194

(whole bunch clustered around 170, then a ton around 130, etc)

Coach
05-27-2009, 06:39 AM

1. Zack Greinke - 553
2. Johan Santana - 293
3. Wandy Rodriguez - 254
4. Jair Jurrjens - 211
5. Johnny Cueto - 194

Eventually, that number will go down, but I would not be one bit suprised if he finished in the top 3 in that statistic.

Coach
05-27-2009, 06:41 AM
And what's even more impressive is, the kid might enter June without having given up a home run.

Halfcan
05-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Zack Fun Facts:

Zack has more complete games this year in May than the Royals had in 2007-2008 seasons combined. Zack's the 5th pitcher to have at least five complete games in his first 10 starts in the last 15 seasons.

he has too because our bullpen sucks ass

Archie F. Swin
05-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Don is NAILS!

Coach
05-27-2009, 07:19 AM

1. Zack Greinke - 553
2. Johan Santana - 293
3. Wandy Rodriguez - 254
4. Jair Jurrjens - 211
5. Johnny Cueto - 194

And his WHIP is at 0.88.

teedubya
05-27-2009, 09:04 AM
And what's even more impressive is, the kid might enter June without having given up a home run.

He doesn't pitch again until June... so this is a given.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Saw a few highlights last night. The kid really IS something special. He had guys swinging on pitches that no batter in their right mind should attempt.

Archie F. Swin
05-27-2009, 10:33 AM
what are the ERA+ numbers based on?

ChiTown
05-27-2009, 10:44 AM
what are the ERA+ numbers based on?

ERA+ (Adjusted ERA) ERA normalized to the league average - which is done by dividing the league average ERA by the individual ERA - and then factoring in home park effect.

Mama Hip Rockets
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
ERA+ (Adjusted ERA) ERA normalized to the league average - which is done by dividing the league average ERA by the individual ERA - and then factoring in home park effect.

what is wrong with people? why do they feel the need to come up with these ridiculous statistics? for shit's sake, what is wrong with just knowing the regular ERA?

CoMoChief
05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
He doesn't pitch again until June... so this is a given.

way to be a smartass...

RedDread
05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Halladay with a no decision today. Zach can take the outright wins lead in his next start.