PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Could Jason Taylor end up in Kansas City?

brent102fire
04-12-2009, 05:30 PM
With the recent signing of Zach Thomas, is it possible Zach Thomas and the Chiefs could go after Jason Taylor too? The Chiefs only had 10 sacks last year, so almost anyone would be an upgrade. Zach and Jason have a long history together and Pioli has been known to sign other teams' castaways. What are the chances? I'm sure Zach would like to play with his brother-in-law again.:hmmm:

RealSNR
04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
The AFCEastification of the Chiefs continues...

Direckshun
04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I think Taylor's too pricey at this point. Maybe later in the offseason when it's apparent nobody wants him for big bucks.

But yeah, I think he could definitely play here.

Micjones
04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. For the right deal I wouldn't be disappointed either.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow we could go from one of the youngest defenses to one of the oldest haha. All joking aside, we do need leadership on this team and that's what Pioli and Haley are doing with the additions of Vrabel and now Thomas.

seaofred
04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Jason Taylor wouldn't be a terrible pick up in my opinion.

Buehler445
04-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Parcells booted him out of MIA, wouldn't that be indicitave of his attitude?

chiefs1111
04-12-2009, 05:41 PM
At this point it really wouldn't surprise me

DaWolf
04-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Didn't Thomas divoce JT's sister?

seaofred
04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
The more I think about it, the more I doubt JT would be brought in here. Parcells shipped him, because JT wasn't about ONLY football. He was doing the Dancing with the Stars thing... The dog commercials... Just might not fit the profile.

Go Mizzou & Chiefs
04-12-2009, 06:02 PM
At this point it really wouldn't surprise me

same

brent102fire
04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Katina filed for divorce twice, but withdrew the petitions according to Wikipedia. They are still married.

KCDC
04-12-2009, 06:11 PM
If we could get him cheap enough, he'd be a good addition. He's better than what we have in the pass rush department.

Mr. Krab
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Jason Taylor would cost too much in trade.

Buehler445
04-12-2009, 06:17 PM

The more I think about it, the more I doubt JT would be brought in here. Parcells shipped him, because JT wasn't about ONLY football. He was doing the Dancing with the Stars thing... The dog commercials... Just might not fit the profile.

Repost :D

Mecca
04-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Jason Taylor would cost too much in trade.

Uh he's a free agent.

Micjones
04-12-2009, 06:24 PM
This is the second wave of Free Agency.
We're less than 14 days away from the NFL Draft.

I can't imagine that Taylor's demands are STILL that high.

No one has been knocking down his door to sign him.

RustShack
04-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I've been thinking about this today actually, I wouldn't mind it at all. We have a major need at RE/OLB, we likely wont find someone who will be better this year, and its not like it would be a long term contract and we have plenty of cap right now.

Mecca
04-12-2009, 06:26 PM
This is the second wave of Free Agency.
We're less than 14 days away from the NFL Draft.

I can't imagine that Taylor's demands are STILL that high.

No one has been knocking down his door to sign him.

If he's going to take a cheap contract he can sign with the Patriots and be on a good team.

RustShack
04-12-2009, 06:26 PM
So say we draft Raji, could Vrable be a good ROLB in the 4-3?

Mecca
04-12-2009, 06:28 PM
So say we draft Raji, could Vrable be a good ROLB in the 4-3?

How do those things have to do with each other?

If we take Raji the idea is that he's going to be a nose in a 3-4.

Mr. Krab
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM

If we take Raji the idea is that he's going to be the nose in a 3-4 and in the rotation at the DT spot in the 3-4. Raji can do both.

Mecca
04-12-2009, 06:58 PM
If we take Raji the idea is that he's going to be the nose in a 3-4 and in the rotation at the DT spot in the 3-4. Raji can do both.

Sure but I don't see what he has to do with Vrabel, I doubt Vrabel would even be part of any 4-3 packages.

RustShack
04-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Raji would be a better 4-3 NT, and we aren't running a full 3-4 next year anyways. So since we will likely be in the 4-3 more often than the 3-4 next year, does that mean Vrable rarely plays for us?

kcfanXIII
04-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Raji would be a better 4-3 NT, and we aren't running a full 3-4 next year anyways. So since we will likely be in the 4-3 more often than the 3-4 next year, does that mean Vrable rarely plays for us?

pretty much

brent102fire
04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
If we could get him cheap enough, he'd be a good addition. He's better than what we have in the pass rush department.

Due to the economy, I think the pass rush department for the Chiefs went out of business last year...;)

brent102fire
04-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Jason Taylor would cost too much in trade. I believe he is a Free Agent...

Touchdown Bowe
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Im not against signing JT..as long as he shows he can still rush the passer and possibly play some OLB in the 3-4 i'd take him to a 1 year deal

Mr. Krab
04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I believe he is a Free Agent...
You're correct, it was his asking price that i was remembering as being very expensive. I believe there was a report that Jason Taylor was expecting money similar to Albert Haynesworth at one point. I imagine he is going to want to go to a playoff level team unless we pay a ton of cash.

T-post Tom
04-12-2009, 10:10 PM
You're correct, it was his asking price that i was remembering as being very expensive. I believe there was a report that Jason Taylor was expecting money similar to Albert Haynesworth at one point. I imagine he is going to want to go to a playoff level team unless we pay a ton of cash.

Considering the current condition of the AFC West, Pioli might be able to convince Taylor and his agent that the Chiefs are a playoff contender.

Mecca
04-12-2009, 10:17 PM

I await when this team is in 3-4 the majority of the time....it's pretty obvious they want to be a 3-4 team so I take alot of these things they say with a serious grain of salt.

LaChapelle
04-12-2009, 10:18 PM
He had last season pretty much off, so should be well rested. LJ would love for the Chiefs to sign him. He cries so much, LJ would be lost in the back ground.

BryanBusby
04-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Get a link as I've never heard that. If he was expecting that kind of bank, he would of remained in Washington instead of asking to be released. He actually requested to be let go because he felt that he wasn't earning his contract.

PhillyChiefFan
04-12-2009, 10:33 PM
so...what happened to that whole "youth movement" thing?

T-post Tom
04-12-2009, 10:50 PM

It's a new definition under Pioli/Haley. Think "balance."

royr17
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I say sign him .... he would be a good leader for the young guys. Plus when runnin the 4-3 he can be plugged in as RDE while in the 3-4 he would be ROLB.

I say bring him in, wouldnt hurt either. Just dont break the bank.

Micjones
04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
I say sign him .... he would be a good leader for the young guys. Plus when runnin the 4-3 he can be plugged in as RDE while in the 3-4 he would be ROLB.

I say bring him in, wouldnt hurt either. Just dont break the bank.

Yeah. I'll take him.
He'll help lead and mentor a young and inexperienced D-Line.

RustShack
04-12-2009, 11:33 PM

We got a new GM and coaches with different philosophies than Carl and Herm.. or did you miss that?

Gravedigger
04-12-2009, 11:39 PM
We can go from the youngest team in the NFL to the oldest within one year. We deserve a cookie for that!

LaChapelle
04-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Do the Chiefs really need a old whiney ass vet? He could be stomached for 1 year I guess.

DTLB58
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Good point. I could see that happening. Although, I think we are deep enough on the D-line it's not as likely as it was with the LB position.

Somewhere Herm is just :shake:

ChiefsGirl
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM

Taylor is married to Thomas' sister.

Brock
04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
she's filed for divorce on him twice, but never went through with it.

DTLB58
04-13-2009, 09:29 AM

Herms gone. :)

Quesadilla Joe
04-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Jason Taylor wants to win there is no way he will go to KC. The only AFC West team that could get him would be San Diego.

Mr. Krab
04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Get a link as I've never heard that. If he was expecting that kind of bank, he would of remained in Washington instead of asking to be released. He actually requested to be let go because he felt that he wasn't earning his contract.
Dude, i'm totally screwed up. It was peppers i was thinking of

=====================

If Peppers wants out, pay cut best bet

By Jason Cole (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/expertsarchive;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAewDsYNAF?author=Jason+Cole), Yahoo! Sports 10 hours, 44 minutes ago

The word “sacrifice” is chronically overused in sports. It’s akin to college kids having to make really rough choices on a Friday night.
Do I get the pizza or buy the six-pack?

So when the idea of sacrifice is broached in regard to Carolina Panthers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/car/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAgQDsYNAF) defensive end Julius Peppers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5888/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAggDsYNAF), the collective eye roll of America’s football-loving public might be strong enough to affect gravity. But there’s the choice, a “sacrifice” as it were, that Peppers must make if he really wants what he says he wants: out of Carolina.
<!-- {PHOTO BEGINS} --><script language="javascript">if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object(); window.yzq_d['4kjsLNG_XLQ-']='&U=13etfg5bl%2fN%3d4kjsLNG_XLQ-%2fC%3d715481.13175552.13346147.1323516%2fD%3dSKY%2fB%3d5404999%2fV%3d1'; </script><noscript>http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=MVkOhNG_bvEEcrje.qJ6nAJRGB_3GknEHyEADYTr&T=14v4mvgiu%2fX%3d1237589793%2fE%3d97542380%2fR%3dsports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3dH%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3 d1888885547%2fH%3dY29udGVudD0ibGVhZ3VlPW5mbA--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d076FBFD1&U=13etfg5bl%2fN%3d4kjsLNG_XLQ-%2fC%3d715481.13175552.13346147.1323516%2fD%3dSKY%2fB%3d5404999%2fV%3d1</noscript>
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2009/03/ipt/1237524437.jpg
Peppers was fifth in the league
with 14½ sacks in ’08. (Bob Donnan/US Presswire)

<!-- {PHOTO ENDS} -->
In order to facilitate that, he most likely must take less money than he would earn with the Panthers. A lot less. In fact, probably enough that a graph of his portfolio would resemble the past six months at AIG or Jim Cramer’s approval ratings over the past two weeks.

Here’s a quick rundown: Peppers is due to make $16.8 million this year after being tagged by Carolina as its franchise player. Furthermore, if Peppers signs the one-year tender, doesn’t agree to a long-term deal with Carolina and is franchised again next year, he’s eyeing $20.16 million – minimum.

For those who don’t add quickly, that’s potentially $36.96 million for two seasons. That also follows the $13.9 million that he made in 2008 with Carolina (potentially $50.86 million over three years without a new long-term deal).

The $39.96 million is a particularly important number because it figures to be the starting point for the guaranteed money in a long-term deal sought by Peppers’ agent/close friend Carl Carey. Given the reported seven-year, $100 million deal that Albert Haynesworth (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5901/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAhADsYNAF) signed three weeks ago with Washington, which included $41 million in guarantees, you can quickly see where Peppers is going as he enters the eighth year of his career and is coming off a career-high 14½ sacks.

Or not going, as it were.

“You have the idea right on the contract,” said an NFL source with knowledge of what Peppers wants.

“Julius wants to be paid just like everybody else,” a source close to Peppers said. “He thinks he’s better than [Minnesota defensive end] Jared Allen (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6885/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAhQDsYNAF) or Haynesworth or [Indianapolis defensive end Dwight] Freeney. Why shouldn’t he want that? Heck, why shouldn’t he say what he’s already said. He wants to win.”

The problem is that Peppers only wants to win in certain places. He wants to go to a team that plays a 3-4 defense so he can play outside linebacker. The New England Patriots (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAhgDsYNAF) and Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/dal/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAhwDsYNAF) are apparently among five teams on his wish list.

The idea of Peppers going to the Patriots has created a great buzz, but it’s almost completely unrealistic.

Would New England coach Bill Belichick love to have Peppers on his defense? Absolutely! And it’s not that the Patriots can’t afford to get Peppers. It’s what he would do to the rest of their team’s salary structure.

After this season, defensive linemen Richard Seymour (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5453/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAiADsYNAF) and Vince Wilfork (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6780/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAiQDsYNAF) come up for new deals. So does Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7208/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAigDsYNAF). But here’s the real sticky situation: After the 2010 season, quarterback Tom Brady (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5228/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAiwDsYNAF) does too. Brady will be 33 and, assuming he recovers from injury as expected, will still have plenty of good years left. Furthermore, Brady took a relatively team-friendly deal of six years, $60 million before the 2005 season. Don’t expect Brady, who will make $5.3 million in base salary and bonus this season and $6.5 million in 2010, to come nearly as cheap this time … especially if the Patriots give Peppers the kind of mega-deal Brady wants.

Subsequently, expect the Patriots to go after 34-year-old Jason Taylor (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3968/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAjADsYNAF) in the coming weeks rather than trade for Peppers.

There’s speculation whether Peppers is willing to take less money for a “better” situation, but let’s look at this from a practical standpoint. Any guy who is looking at $36.96 million over the next two years isn’t taking $40 million for four.

The situation is the same for Peppers in Dallas, where the Cowboys are wrestling with what it’s going to cost to sign DeMarcus Ware (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7187/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAjQDsYNAF) to a long-term deal. Ware, another one of the league’s premier pass rushers, has 53½ sacks in his first four seasons, including 20 in 2008 and 34 over the past two.

That total of 34 is double what Peppers has had the past two seasons because Peppers slumped to 2½ sacks in 2007. Still, he’s demanding a top-of-the-market deal and has the one-year tender numbers working in his behalf.

Not working in his favor is that most 3-4 teams don’t believe in

overpaying for that outside linebacker spot if they can avoid it. Pittsburgh has gotten by for years with keeping the price down at outside linebacker, going from Greg Lloyd to Joey Porter (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4723/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAjgDsYNAF) to now James Harrison (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6314/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAjwDsYNAF) while keeping cost down.

That’s why Peppers will have to make a “sacrifice.” If he really wants to play for the Pats or Cowboys, he’ll take a lot less money.

In other words, he’s not playing for the Pats for Cowboys.

Other 3-4 teams either don’t go after high-end talents like Peppers (cross Pittsburgh off the list) or would have to do some serious shifting of their roster (Cleveland and San Diego) to make it happen.

More likely, Peppers will have to be willing to work things out in Carolina, where he has his best chance to win. If he really wants out the way he says, there are only a handful of 3-4 teams that can afford him, such as the Miami Dolphins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/mia/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAkADsYNAF), the New York Jets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyj/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAkQDsYNAF) and Green Bay Packers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/gnb/;_ylt=A9G_bwchH8RJNdMAkgDsYNAF).

While each of those teams is interesting, are any of them that much better than Carolina?

HemiEd
04-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Same as Tony Gs?

Rausch
04-13-2009, 01:33 PM

The youth we moved in played out more like a bowel movement...

chiefzilla1501
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
No.

Zach Thomas, Vrabel and Goff weren't signed because the Chiefs are trying to win now. It's because they all play stopgap positions.

The point of a stopgap is to plug a veteran in for a quick 1-2 year fix. We don't even know if Taylor can provide that, given that he's never worked in a 3-4 before.

DaWolf
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
We can go from the youngest team in the NFL to the oldest within one year. We deserve a cookie for that!

Doesn't matter if you are able to replace these guys by next year. If these guys are the cornerstone of your franchise, that's when you get screwed...

Micjones
04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
No.

Zach Thomas, Vrabel and Goff weren't signed because the Chiefs are trying to win now. It's because they all play stopgap positions.

The point of a stopgap is to plug a veteran in for a quick 1-2 year fix. We don't even know if Taylor can provide that, given that he's never worked in a 3-4 before.

This.

Each of these signings should be followed up with drafted players at the same positions who can take over in 1-2 seasons when the vets are gone.

CoMoChief
04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
This.

Each of these signings should be followed up with drafted players at the same positions who can take over in 1-2 seasons when the vets are gone.

Exactly. This is something that we NEVER did under the DV era, which is why Herm Edwards was left with crap. Combine that with his shitty coaching and you get the Chiefs teams of the past 2 seasons.

Amnorix
04-13-2009, 03:04 PM
No.

errr....he was DPOY under Nick Saban, who was at least doing a 3-4 hybrid, right? I don't honestly remember what Saban was running, but he's a BB disciple.

Rumor is Pats are interested in him, as are the fins. My bet is that he goes to one of those two. More likely teh Pats, if he's willing to sign for reasonable $$$.

I only see him joining the Chiefs if they offer far and away the most moeny, and I can't see why they'd do that for someone of his age.

cardken
04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
The AFCEastification of the Chiefs continues...

And the problem with this is....?
2008 Regular Season
AFC
East 36-26
West 23-42
Any Questions?:doh!::shake: