PDA

View Full Version : Life Finding out if I get to keep my job this afternoon.

Hound333
04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
The school district is going through a round of budget cuts and I just found out the PE/Health department is on the short list for reducing staff (because no one cares if PE has 50+ kids in class). I am the only untenured teacher in the PE department so I am the one. I used to be tenured two years ago but switched positions because the was the school I graduated from.

The good news is that I have a semi plan in place and will finish my Biology degree to make sure I have a job after next year. I just know that a PE major with a masters in education doesn't get the job often. It just sucks that I got the job I always wanted, only to possibly get it pulled from me two years later.

*waits*

Maybe I can blame Carl for this

Dammit Carl :cuss:

DaFace
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Good luck, man.

Buehler445
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
School districts too huh?

Damn dude. That is some shit. I haven't followed the school budget deal, has there been a huge budget cut?

Best of luck bud.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hound333
04-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Damn dude. That is some shit. I haven't followed the school budget deal, has there been a huge budget cut?

Best of luck bud.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya, we have a double wammy of reduction in state funding and lower student numbers next year. We don't have it as bad as some districts but we have to loose 1.5 mil for next year.

Buck
04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Good Luck

Buehler445
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Ya, we have a double wammy of reduction in state funding and lower student numbers next year. We don't have it as bad as some districts but we have to loose 1.5 mil for next year.

Jesus.

What distruct are you in? (If you don't mind me asking)
Posted via Mobile Device

R&GHomer
04-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Good luck man

vailpass
04-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Best of luck. PE is as important as any class for young children. I hate like hell to see these kind of cuts happening.

Hound333
04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Jesus.

What distruct are you in? (If you don't mind me asking)
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't want to post that yet. There might be a few of my students on this board and I really don't want them to know unless it actually happens. If I do get the axe I will let everyone know. Until I am certain I don't want to go there.

AndChiefs
04-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a friend whose old school district is cutting 5.3 million including cutting all sports and band programs. Crazy times out there...especially when cuts are in places where they shouldn't be.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-13-2009, 10:34 AM
good luck man

BigMeatballDave
04-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear. I was laid off 6 weeks ago. I'm in college now. On line. Univerisity of Phoenix. One week in. So far, I love it. Good luck.

J Diddy
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't want to post that yet. There might be a few of my students on this board and I really don't want them to know unless it actually happens. If I do get the axe I will let everyone know. Until I am certain I don't want to go there.

LOL. What kind of a teacher are you that would let your students post or read the crap that's on here?

:)

btw....

good luck and hope it don't happen

eazyb81
04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Good luck.

Mr. Plow
04-13-2009, 11:09 AM
LOL. What kind of a teacher are you that would let your students post or read the crap that's on here?

That's what I was thinking. If my kids teacher let him post on here, I'd change schools.

:p

kc rush
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Good luck, hope it turns out ok for you.

Hound333
04-13-2009, 11:16 AM
That's what I was thinking. If my kids teacher let him post on here, I'd change schools.

:p

They can't post or see it while they are at school but I can't stop them from seeing it at home. I would really rather they hear it from me during class than from a message board.

Actually some can see it at school. As dumb as they can sometimes appear they are quite brilliant when it comes to breaking rules. (Before the OMG he called his students dumb police show up, its a joke people)

Mr. Plow
04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
LOL.

Skip Towne
04-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Good luck, dude

vailpass
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
You could also entitle this thread:

"Finding out if I need to go explore opportunities that will land me in a better place than I am now".

These things have a way of working like that.

Buehler445
04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Best of luck. PE is as important as any class for young children. I hate like hell to see these kind of cuts happening.

Truth. It seems that there are a lot more overweight children now than there were when I was a kid (I'm 25). I don't have kids, it's just an observation, maybe I am mis-remembering.

Fair enough. Hopefully it is a good afternoon for you.

Jenson71
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Truth. It seems that there are a lot more overweight children now than there were when I was a kid (I'm 25). I don't have kids, it's just an observation, maybe I am mis-remembering.

I think the stats overwhelmingly support this observation.

vailpass
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I think the stats overwhelmingly support this observation.

No question.
old guy\ When I was a kid our parents had to yell to get us to quit playing and come inside. Now you hear about a lot of parents who have to yell at their kids to go outside and play. Unreal/old guy

Bowser
04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
When I was young, we had to walk uphill, both ways, if we wanted to go out and play.

Best of luck, Hound.

Buehler445
04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Any word yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
04-13-2009, 02:04 PM
When I was young, we had to walk uphill, both ways, if we wanted to go out and play.

Best of luck, Hound.

:D I know, I know.

Bugeater
04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Sorry man, but PE was a complete joke for the most part when I was in school, fuggin' aerobics and gymnastics and other stupid shit like that. I could've got by without it fine.

Pablo
04-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Sorry man, but PE was a complete joke for the most part when I was in school, fuggin' aerobics and gymnastics and other stupid shit like that. I could've got by without it fine.Wha??

What kinda ghey school did you go to?

We played dodgeball, wiffleball, kickball, basketball,football, soccer, etc.

PE was the shit.

Buck
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Its gotta be 5 pm by now wherever you are? Unless you are on the West Coast.

What happened?

We're all on the edge of our seats.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Its gotta be 5 pm by now wherever you are? Unless you are on the West Coast.

What happened?

We're all on the edge of our seats.

This is an instance where I'm assuming no news was bad news. I hope I'm wrong, but honestly I know if it happened to me I would be talking to friends, family, colleagues trying to get a line on something else. Again, I hope I'm wrong here.

Joie
04-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Wha??

PE was the shit.

He's from Gawd Damned Nebraska. They do EVERYTHING funny...even PE. :shake:

Bugeater
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Wha??

PE was the shit.
Ralston Public Schools. We did the other stuff occasionally, but 90% of it was ghey stuff, especially in elementary school. Those dickwads actually made us square dance, which was incredibly ghey since there was always more boys than girls, so inevitably two boys would end up having to pair up.

KcMizzou
04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Those dickwads actually made us square dance, which was incredibly ghey since there was always more boys than girls, so inevitably two boys would end up having to pair up.LMAOLMAO

CrazyPhuD
04-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Ralston Public Schools. We did the other stuff occasionally, but 90% of it was ghey stuff, especially in elementary school. Those dickwads actually made us square dance, which was incredibly ghey since there was always more boys than girls, so inevitably two boys would end up having to pair up.

Well that explains alot.....

Gracie Dean
04-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Good luck to you.

We are facing the same issues, but I have 10 years in so I am probably not going to be affected.

Hound333
04-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Good luck to you.

We are facing the same issues, but I have 10 years in so I am probably not going to be affected.

No news yet. Apparently they made a decision last night pretty late but my principal either doesn't know yet or he's waiting for the Super to come talk to me. He is suppose to have a meeting with him this morning at 9:30 and says I will know when he does.

Next year would be my 10th year teaching as well. I did however change jobs 2 years ago because a position opened up at my old high school and I was given the chance to coach. Because of that I am not tenured at the new school.

I am showing a video today in class (like I could teach right now) so I might find time to post once I find out.

Buehler445
04-14-2009, 08:10 AM
No news yet. Apparently they made a decision last night pretty late but my principal either doesn't know yet or he's waiting for the Super to come talk to me. He is suppose to have a meeting with him this morning at 9:30 and says I will know when he does.

Next year would be my 10th year teaching as well. I did however change jobs 2 years ago because a position opened up at my old high school and I was given the chance to coach. Because of that I am not tenured at the new school.

I am showing a video today in class (like I could teach right now) so I might find time to post once I find out.

WEAK SAUCE.

They should just grow some stones and tell you.

Again, good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
04-14-2009, 08:21 AM

No news wasn't bad news. I'm really pulling for you man. Took a job at your old high school, lost your tenure and you could be punished for it. That just ain't right. Good luck dodging the bullet today.

morphius
04-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Good luck man! I know what your going through, and the stress is no fun at all.

penguinz
04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I am showing a video today in class (like I could teach right now) so I might find time to post once I find out.Watching a video in PE? You giving them popcorn and soda also?

Iowanian
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Take a picture of all of the fat kids in your class....take that into them and ask them to explain how there isn't a need for PE.

Schools should implement morning PT for any kid that isn't involved in athletics and in good physical condition.

Hound333
04-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Watching a video in PE? You giving them popcorn and soda also?

Mostly what I teach is Health. The other PE teachers do not like teaching in the classroom and I don't mind it. About 80% of my classes are semester long Health/First Aid classes.

Mr. Plow
04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
How many PE teachers are there at your school?

Joie
04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Good luck. I don't see how they can say PE should be cut, it's possibly more important than other classes. You're teaching kids to be healthy. Whichever way this goes, I applaud your dedication.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Good luck. I don't see how they can say PE should be cut, it's possibly more important than other classes. You're teaching kids to be healthy. Whichever way this goes, I applaud your dedication.

I agree. Let's cut P.E in a time when Americans are getting fatter, and fatter, and fatter. We really ought to expand it to about 2 hours a day and make half of it dedicated to healthy eating. A lot of folks would be surprised at how much of a factor poor education is in obiesity.

Iowanian
04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Health eh....

You don't use a southern accent and tap the blackboard with a stick when you lead the recitation of "Penis penis penis, Verginer verginer Verginer" do you?

That would be...wrong.

Hound333
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
It sucks to be posting this but I got called into the office after school and told I will be getting the "slip" next week after the board approves the budget reductions. This includes getting rid of my position because of "numbers".

After this year I will no longer be a teacher at USD 450 Shawnee Heights. (Just outside Topeka)

I most likely will not be back on here to reply so just pm me and I will get it later. I want to drink.

Jenson71
04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
That sucks to hear, Hound. I hope the Biology degree goes well for you.

Bugeater
04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you find something else quickly.

Joie
04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. Drink away tonight, you deserve it.

kc rush
04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry to hear it. Good luck to you.

LaChapelle
04-14-2009, 03:59 PM
It sucks to be posting this but I got called into the office after school and told I will be getting the "slip" next week after the board approves the budget reductions. This includes getting rid of my position because of "numbers".

After this year I will no longer be a teacher at USD 450 Shawnee Heights. (Just outside Topeka)

I most likely will not be back on here to reply so just pm me and I will get it later. I want to drink.

There are far worse ways to lose a teaching job. Best of luck.

Valiant
04-14-2009, 04:00 PM

Best of luck bud.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah they are going after schools first in a lot of cities to save money..

Valiant
04-14-2009, 04:03 PM

:)

btw....

good luck and hope it don't happen

Schools are different now, they have computer classes and labs.. Generally most sites are blocked..

Hell I learned how to type at school on a electronic typewriter.. Either I am getting old or my school was cheap.. Granted this was around 92-93 in jr high..

Bowser
04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Really sorry to hear it. Get hammered tonight, but stay safe.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Terrible news. Loyalty is dead.

Buehler445
04-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Fuuuuuuuck that. Hopefully something comes your way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gracie Dean
04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Dude, I am sorry...how married are you to the area?

Mr. Plow
04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear it man. Best of luck to you in the future.