PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Whats the difference between LCD and Plasma?

Redrum_69
04-14-2009, 04:56 AM
I bought a Samsung 42" DLP back in 2005 and I am contemplating an upgrade to a 52" or higher this year. I went to Best Buy the other day and seen alot of their 50-60+ inch tvs at a cheap price. My only concern is that I would be playing my XBOX 360 on this new upgrade and I didnt want the images to be burned into the screen. Thats the reason I went with the DLP initially.

So if I play videogames on either LCD and Plasma screens will the images become burnt into the screen?

Is LCD better than Plasma?

I also noticed that Best Buy did not have a single DLP tv in stock. They completely dropped them it looks like.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2009, 07:20 AM
I had an LCD. There is zero glare on them. So, placing them in a well lit room would not be an issue. LCDs tend to have a problem with 'motion blur'. This isn't an issue if you pay a bit more for the 120Hz technology. I don't know how it works. Something to do with refresh rate. I have a 50" Samsung Plasma. I think plasmas have a slightly better picture. Also, if your room is well lit with incandesant lighting, there cound be an issue with glare. I live in a sub-level apartment with flouresent lighting. Its not a problem for me. Motion blur is not an issue with plasma. Plasmas do give off heat. Just make sure you get Full HD. 1080p.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Image burn can be a problem with Plasma. I've yet to expierence it on mine. My Directv HDDVR has a screen saver if I pause it for more than a few minutes. Nice feature. I paid $1300 for mine at Best Buy 2 months ago. Make sure you get the extended warranty, it was like $250. 4 yrs. and covers everything except something thrown thru the screen.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-14-2009, 07:34 AM
true plasma burn in would be pretty hard to get. You may see image retention if you pause a game for a couple of hours, but it will go away in less than a minute.

ZepSinger
04-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I've had my plasma for a year now, and absolutely no burn in. Of course, we use common sense and turn the TV off it it's going to display a still image for awhile...

Z

googlegoogle
04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Go to a TV repair store and look in the trash bin. You will see cathode and DLP TVs.

DLP tv's have moving parts which break down. The manufacturer monopoly keep prices high. It's pretty much like the inkjet printer business model.

Hootie
04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
If you're a serious gamer, and you buy a shitty LCD, expect a lag that will drive you INSANE.

I refuse to play video games on LCD unless I test it first and make sure that model doesn't have the LCD lag.

Duck Dog
04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I have been reading a lot of Plasma vs. LCD reviews and most will tell you to go with Plasma in the 50 inch and bigger range and LCD in 19-48 inch range. CRT burn in has been addressed with new plasmas. Don't pause a game or DVD over night and you shouldn't have any problems.

LCD also displays better in a well lit room.

CrazyPhuD
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
For the most part plasma's are going away the world is moving fully towards LCD and in a few years the OLED technology.

Expect Plasma's to be like the DLP in a year or two...most major manufacturers are dropping them.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
For the most part plasma's are going away the world is moving fully towards LCD and in a few years the OLED technology.

Expect Plasma's to be like the DLP in a year or two...most major manufacturers are dropping them.Which is sad because the technology provides a superior image than LCD. I imagine the OLEDs will blow everything away, though...

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Ufs9Wx0VXQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Ufs9Wx0VXQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Redrum_69
04-20-2009, 10:02 AM
My Samsung must have heard about this thread.

The last few days..after 20 minutes of use..starts making a sound like a circular saw. I shut off the tv and its ok until the set runs again for around 20 minutes or so...Ive checked all around the area and the closest business to fix the set is in Mission, KS. The part I need is a "color wheel" and its $155 not including shipping/handling, labor to install it, and taxes. The tech said it would be like $300 or so total. I'm seriously thinking of just opening another account at Best Buy and buying a 50" set...just not sure what I should go with...LCD or Plasma.

The set would see alot of videogame usage and hopefully have no lag.

Pants
04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
If you're a serious gamer, and you buy a shitty LCD, expect a lag that will drive you INSANE.

I refuse to play video games on LCD unless I test it first and make sure that model doesn't have the LCD lag.

It's called "ghosting", you nubcake.

Skyy God
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
My Samsung must have heard about this thread.

The last few days..after 20 minutes of use..starts making a sound like a circular saw. I shut off the tv and its ok until the set runs again for around 20 minutes or so...Ive checked all around the area and the closest business to fix the set is in Mission, KS. The part I need is a "color wheel" and its $155 not including shipping/handling, labor to install it, and taxes. The tech said it would be like $300 or so total. I'm seriously thinking of just opening another account at Best Buy and buying a 50" set...just not sure what I should go with...LCD or Plasma.

The set would see alot of videogame usage and hopefully have no lag.

When I was shopping for a TV for my 'rents back in December, BB had a 50" Panny 720P for $900. I'd be tempted to go that route rather than make this repair, not to mention the lamp you'll need to replace later.

LCD vs. plasma is really a matter of preference, but I can tell you I play a decent amount of 360 on my plasma and have had zero problems with burn in. It was more of a problem with older models. They do make plasmas with anti-glare coating if that's a concern. As for 720 vs. 1080p, supposedly you can't tell the difference in TVs 50" and under.

Jewish Rabbi
04-20-2009, 12:54 PM

My friend has a Philips that does this. I refuse to play Rock Band on that TV, you can't even calibrate it correctly.

Redrum_69
04-22-2009, 06:56 AM
*UPDATE*

52" Samsung LCD...bought it at Sears yesterday...and it freakin rocks. Cant wait to watch the Chiefs on it!!!