PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 3-4 might make this moot, but someone had an interesting post...

Frankie
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
...in the "other" Chiefs forum. This is a copy/paste of his post:

OK, Im gonna compare two players and to keep emotions out, Im gonna label them player A, and (you guessed it) player B

player A was the second overall choice in his respected draft.

He is 6´4" tall
270 pounds

in his first three years in the nfl, he racked up totals of:

18.5 sacks
188 total tackles
9 forced fumbles

broken down year by year as
rookie
2.5 sacks
53 tackles
1 forced fumble

soph
6.5 sacks
67 tackles
4 forced fumbles

third year
9.5 sacks
68 tackles
4 forced fumbles

Player B was drafted 20th overall in the first round

through his first three years in the league he ammased:

18.5 sacks
173 tackles
10 forced fumbles

broken down by year as:

rookie year
8 sacks
61 tackles
5 forced fumbles

sophmore
7.5 sacks
58 tackles
2 forced fumbles

third year
3 sacks
54 tackles
3 forced fumbles

So which, if either, was overdrafted or a better value? I will recap them again:

player A
6´4"
18.5 sacks
188 tackles
9 forced fumbles

player B
6´3"
275 pounds
18.5 sacks
173 tackles
10 forced fumbles

Player A is Niel Smith
Player B is Tamba Hali

My point is, dont be so quick to judge a career of a defensive player on the first three years, as you might miss a gem!

EyePod
04-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I would argue that Neil Smith showed improvement over those 3 years. That's the most important thing I saw. Tamba's ability (and stats in each of those categories) declined over those 3 years.

Frankie
04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I would argue that Neil Smith showed improvement over those 3 years. That's the most important thing I saw. Tamba's ability (and stats in each of those categories) declined over those 3 years.

I would argue that the team around Neil got progressively better. The team around Tamba has gotten consistantly worse.

Blindside58
04-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Jared Allen was on the other end Tamb's First 2 years and Neil Smith gained DT????
Interesting Stats!

Chiefnj2
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Tamba's ability "declined", in part, because he was asked to switch positions. He's a LDE, not a RDE.

EyePod
04-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Tamba's ability "declined", in part, because he was asked to switch positions. He's a LDE, not a RDE.

Look, I like Hali as much as the next guy, and I don't think he should get cut. But this year is do or die for him. If he doesn't improve significantly, then I think he should be cut loose. I know that our entire team declined (especially our inside 7), but they're all on tight leashes for now. That way, we can look for improvement and attribute the decline to Herm as opposed to the players.

Buehler445
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Put up or shut up for Tamba.

Show us you have talent and were coached by go-tards. No more grass was tall bullshit. Just get to the motherfucking QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Look, I like Hali as much as the next guy, and I don't think he should get cut. But this year is do or die for him. If he doesn't improve significantly, then I think he should be cut loose. I know that our entire team declined (especially our inside 7), but they're all on tight leashes for now. That way, we can look for improvement and attribute the decline to Herm as opposed to the players.

I agree.

PhillyChiefFan
04-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Agreed. He was never suppose to be placed in that role.

I don't think it is fair to judge Hali decline based on his performance in a position he was never suppose to play.

He was a stopgap, a plug to "replace" Allan, can't expect the same production.

keg in kc
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Hali's biggest issue has been injuries; he's always hurt.

Dave Lane
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I would argue that the team around Neil got progressively better. The team around Tamba has gotten consistantly worse.

I would argue that Hali isn't very good. He is what we thought maxxed out effort guy

JohnnyV13
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I was looking at Jason Taylor's first three years and found something interesting. Taylor had 5 sacks in 97, 9 sacks in 98 and then fell to 2.5 sacks in 99.

Taylor didn't really become a force in the league until 2000, when he had 14.5 sacks.

I guess it just means that giving up on tamba hali might be a bit premature.

Frankie
04-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I would argue that Hali isn't very good. He is what we thought maxxed out effort guy

On the other hand OUR players are always the worst until they sign with another team.

HemiEd
04-14-2009, 03:57 PM

I was a big Neil Smith fan, but his best move, is now illegal and draws a flag. I very seriously doubt he would be as effective now.

Frankie
04-15-2009, 07:31 AM
I was a big Neil Smith fan, but his best move, is now illegal and draws a flag. I very seriously doubt he would be as effective now.

Very good point.

EyePod
04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Agreed. He was never suppose to be placed in that role.

I don't think it is fair to judge Hali decline based on his performance in a position he was never suppose to play.

He was a stopgap, a plug to "replace" Allan, can't expect the same production.

You could expect better production than he had.

EyePod
04-15-2009, 07:41 AM
On the other hand OUR players are always the worst until they sign with another team.

It's like we're the ****ing Arizona Cardinals!