PDA

View Full Version : Music Metallica - One: "Real" Guitar question

Dayze
04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
...not a Guitar Hero Question....

So, i've "played" One for several years. Recognizing that for said 'years' I've been intentionally avoiding the harmonization measures, specifically the measures that capture "..oh god please help me!" and after "Left me with life in hell" etc.. I mostly avoided this play live back in the day and there were only 2 guitarists; and the 'rhthym' was simply just that.....rhythym. A few power chords and that's it.

My question relates specifically to the point after "Left me with life in Hell"!.....
There is a grea harmonization between Kirk and James that I'm attempting to learn. Anyone have any suggestions (other than "antifreeze" or "nuthooks":evil:) on how to tackle this?

I have the tab for reference (had it since 1989!); just hard to get the timinig down of the harmony even when listening to headphones /monitor-style.

I'm getting there slowly but surely, but wondered if there was a faster methode.

Third Eye
04-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I guess I'm not sure what part you are referring to. I thought they continued their rhythm part for a few bars before going to Kirk's finger tapping solo.

Huffman83
04-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I think I know what you're talking about. But what's the time of the song? Is it when one of the first "clean." solo's happens after the "chorus."?

Dayze
04-14-2009, 10:41 PM
I guess I'm not sure what part you are referring to. I thought they continued their rhythm part for a few bars before going to Kirk's finger tapping solo.

I think I know what you're talking about. But what's the time of the song? Is it when one of the first "clean." solo's happens after the "chorus."?

Third Eye: yes,it's the same for the first few bars;
Huffman: correct; it's after the first 'clean' solo after the chorus.

once the lyrics end, it's the harmonized rhthym etc,just as the 6 bass drums begin etc...."darkness, imprisoning me..." and a few measures of "chub"

then leads into the solo etc......

after the solo; around the the 6:30 mark; lots of triplets on single strings etc. thats the timing I'm having a b*tch of a time with. Ironic, because all the other 'chub' E string 1/8 nothes (etc) of the main chorus is like old hat.

Probably hard because I'm hearing 3 guitars on a monitor sytle ( main rhythym + 2 harmnoizing) etc; and the sheet music is a bit all over the place on the 2 guitars playing the harmony.

Grrr.....shouldn't be the difficult, but it's kicking my butt. I decided that I should really 'learn' the entire song, despite playing the meat of it for 15+ yrs of what I thought was 'correct'. Lots more going on with those tracks than the ear hears.......dang.