PDA

View Full Version : Life Senate backs waiving background checks by one vote

DenverChief
04-15-2009, 09:07 AM
DENVER (AP) - Concealed weapon permit holders could be exempted from additional background checks whenever they buy a gun.

That's the aim of a bill that passed an initial vote in the state Senate by just one vote Tuesday.

People must pass a background check before getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Bill sponsor Sen. Greg Brophy (R-District 1) said they shouldn't have to pass further checks whenever they buy a weapon.

Federal law requires background checks for gun store purchases but waives those for concealed weapon permit holders in some states.

Since the Columbine shootings, Colorado has also required background checks for people buying guns at gun shows.

Brophy's bill measure (House Bill 1180) would exempt permit holders from both types of checks.
http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=113817&catid=346

I'm curious gun owners do you agree with this policy? Also anyone else know which states already have this? Missouri?

Brock
04-15-2009, 09:11 AM
It appears they already underwent a background check for their concealed carry permit. The problem is?

rockymtnchief
04-15-2009, 09:12 AM
My CCW permit required me to take a hand gun safety course, give finger prints, have an FBI background check, three references to my mental stableness, and an interview with the county sheriff. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to buy another pistol.

DenverChief
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
It appears they already underwent a background check for their concealed carry permit. The problem is?

I have no problem with it, I agree. Just curious if I'm in the minority or not

Iowanian
04-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Its that way in Iowa now.

If You've got a CCW permit, you've already taken a class, had a background check by the sheriff, finger prints, possibly a shooting test etc....there is no need.

We can also buy a "purchase permit" that waives the hassle most of the time(Except in Kansas where Cabelas can be a pain in the ass).

mikeyis4dcats.
04-15-2009, 09:29 AM
not sure of the process, but once you have the CCW permit, do you undego perioduic checks?

My only concern would be someone could have had a CCW for years and then have circumstances change.

Iowanian
04-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Its a yearly review in Iowania

rockymtnchief
04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
not sure of the process, but once you have the CCW permit, do you undego perioduic checks?

My only concern would be someone could have had a CCW for years and then have circumstances change.

Every four years here.

DenverChief
04-15-2009, 09:55 AM

In Colorado if you are arrested your CCW is confiscated (and noted as such in CCIC - Colorado Criminal Information Center) until the charges are dropped and the Issuing Sheriff reinstates your CCW in CCIC

you have to renew your CCW every 5 years

TrebMaxx
04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I wish Missouri would do the same. Still have to get your background check even if you have a CCW. Just a stupid waste of resources IMHO.

gblowfish
04-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Off to the DC in 3.....2......1......

Brock
04-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Off to the DC in 3.....2......1......

Doesn't seem to be any argument.

kcfanXIII
04-15-2009, 10:29 AM
any gun control law is unconstitutional.

beer bacon
04-15-2009, 10:33 AM
any gun control law is unconstitutional.

Only musket control laws are unconstitutional.

kcfanXIII
04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Only musket control laws are unconstitutional.

i'm glad you think our personal liberties are a joking matter. whats next? freedom of the press? perhaps search and seizure? freedom of speech? crack jokes if you want, i don't find it funny. its a domino effect, that once they set a precedent (of removing amendments from the bill of rights) you can kiss ALL your freedoms good bye.

DenverChief
04-15-2009, 10:43 AM
HEY!! Knock it off this is about CCW background checks not a political discussion

Jilly
04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
The harder it is, the more hoops to jump through, the better. There's no reason that gun owners should have a problem with that if it means a safer society.

Radar Chief
04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Every four years here.

Same in Kansas.

Radar Chief
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
The harder it is, the more hoops to jump through, the better. There's no reason that gun owners should have a problem with that if it means a safer society.

I wonder if this is actually a cost saving maneuver by the state. Every background check means someone is taking time to do it, since states are all cutting back on hours and personal it may be becoming more than they can handle. :shrug:

Kyle DeLexus
04-15-2009, 10:53 AM

But what is the point if you have already been through the checks and balance system to get your CCW in the first place? I just turned 21 and will be filling out my app in the next couple weeks.

Brock
04-15-2009, 11:46 AM

It doesn't mean a safer society.

Iowanian
04-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Jilly. I encourage yourself and people like you to do some quick google search and a little reading on Crime rates in states with Right to Carry.

You'll quickly find drops in murder, rapes, home entry etc...

dtebbe
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
It's been this way in GA ever since I got my CCW back in 91 or 92, and is one great benefit of having a CCW permit.

You have to have the check done and be fingerprinted when you get your CCW, so why have to do it each time?

I guess they (gun control retards) think someone who has a CCW would not already have a weapon and would go make a spur of the moment purchase before they committed a crime.. ;)

DT

DenverChief
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
It's been this way in GA ever since I got my CCW back in 91 or 92, and is one great benefit of having a CCW permit.

You have to have the check done and be fingerprinted when you get your CCW, so why have to do it each time?

I guess they (gun control retards) think someone who has a CCW would not already have a weapon and would go make a spur of the moment purchase before they committed a crime.. ;)

DT

LMAO

wild1
04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
as long as the state has some kind of safeguard against someone who previously got a CCW but has now done something to where they can't legally purchase one, it seems like a good idea.

i am wondering though given the political climate if CCW will be under attack before we know it.

WoodDraw
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
How long does a background check normally take?

DenverChief
04-16-2009, 04:55 AM

couple of hours to purchase a firearm

90 days for a CCW - much more thorough

DenverChief
04-16-2009, 04:56 AM
as long as the state has some kind of safeguard against someone who previously got a CCW but has now done something to where they can't legally purchase one, it seems like a good idea.

In Colorado if you are arrested your CCW is confiscated (and noted as such in CCIC - Colorado Criminal Information Center) until the charges are dropped and the Issuing Sheriff reinstates your CCW in CCIC

you have to renew your CCW every 5 years

wild1
04-16-2009, 06:26 AM

When you buy one, about 15 minutes in my experience.

The CCW process took a month, maybe more like 6 weeks.

Jilly
04-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Jilly. I encourage yourself and people like you to do some quick google search and a little reading on Crime rates in states with Right to Carry.

You'll quickly find drops in murder, rapes, home entry etc...

Who are people like me? Exactly what assumption are you making here?

Sully
04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Anyone watch 20/20 last week?

Radar Chief
04-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Who are people like me? Exactly what assumption are you making here?

Wait a minute. What do YOU mean, “you people”?

Radar Chief
04-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Anyone watch 20/20 last week?

No. :shrug:

1ChiefsDan
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I wonder if this is actually a cost saving maneuver by the state. Every background check means someone is taking time to do it, since states are all cutting back on hours and personal it may be becoming more than they can handle. :shrug:That's exactly what it is. Same reson states are making drivers license renewals longer. The fees charged don't cover the overhead costs for doing them on a shorter term basis. Heck, when I managed our fleet, we had some drivers with licenses that didn't expire for 15-20 years in some cases.

Jilly
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
No. :shrug:

Great show on gun control. Very informative.

1ChiefsDan
04-16-2009, 11:57 AM
couple of hours to purchase a firearm

90 days for a CCW - much more thoroughI heard something on the radio here in Denver the other day that the CCW process is now taking more like 5-6 months because they are getting so many applications right now they can't keep up.

Brock
04-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Great show on gun control. Very informative.

Very biased.

Jilly
04-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Very biased.

did you see it?

Buehler445
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
We can also buy a "purchase permit" that waives the hassle most of the time(Except in Kansas where Cabelas can be a pain in the ass).

Sorry dude. BATF requirements. The BATF audited one of our stores (I'm pretty sure it was KC) and didn't play nice in the sandbox.

I know it is a pain, it is also a pain to audit all the forms and regulations.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
did you see it?

Of course. That's why I was able to say it was very biased.

Jilly
04-16-2009, 12:19 PM

how so?

Radar Chief
04-16-2009, 12:21 PM

It’s not like they’ve been nice to gun owners in the past so that was a reasonable assumption before you posted it.

Brock
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
how so?

Basically everything they said about people carrying guns was tracking a "leave it up to the professionals, you can't handle it, you might get sued" viewpoint.

Brock
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
It’s not like they’ve been nice to gun owners in the past so that was a reasonable assumption before you posted it.

Of course, network news shows never lie or distort the truth. Why, I've been blown up literally hundreds of times by my Chevy pickup with the saddle bag gas tanks, just like NBC said I would. P.S. Not really.

Sully
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Of course, network news shows never lie or distort the truth. Why, I've been blown up literally hundreds of times by my Chevy pickup with the saddle bag gas tanks, just like NBC said I would. P.S. Not really.

What is your opinion on the police trainees "protecting themselves" in the virgins tech-type scenario?

Mile High Mania
04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, if you passed the background check to have a concealed weapons permit... you shouldn't have to go through the process again in order to buy a gun.

How long do the permits, etc last? Are they forever or a few years? Anything can happen after your first check... I would have a problem with having a background check every 3-5 years or something like that. I dunno.

Brock
04-16-2009, 12:42 PM
What is your opinion on the police trainees "protecting themselves" in the virgins tech-type scenario?

What is your opinion of people who have already had a background check not having to have a redundant background check every time they purchase a weapon?

DenverChief
04-16-2009, 02:07 PM
How long do the permits, etc last? Are they forever or a few years? Anything can happen after your first check... I would have a problem with having a background check every 3-5 years or something like that. I dunno.

I Colorado they last 5 years. Yes anything could happen after your first check and if it does and you are caught then your permit gets revoked, just like your drivers license. Florida did a study and just off the top of my head the figures were 25 million concealed permits issued, 600 permits revoked for criminal acts.....kinda shows you who these people are getting the permits (Law abiding citizens)

People who have CCW's at least here in Colorado have to have so many hours of training with a handgun and are held to a higher standard if they use their gun (similar to the standard for Police Officers)

Sully
04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
What is your opinion of people who have already had a background check not having to have a redundant background check every time they purchase a weapon?

I don't mind it. Everytime I go to get hired at another school district, I have to have a background check.

Are you going to ignore my question?