PDA

View Full Version : Computers System Requirements for PC Game - Question

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I picked up a flight simulator for my laptop today; the requirements are 1GHz, and 512MB RAM for Vista.

My ‘puter is running 1.73GHz, and has 2GB of RAM and I have virtually zero add-ons that would eat up RAM (other than virus protection etc); will my laptop will support running the flight simulator?

This is the first PC game I've ever bought, so i'm not sure etc.

Gracias.

QuikSsurfer
Yes

Demonpenz
Janes Us Navy Fighters?

Fish
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
It will likely depend more on your video card. You have plenty of CPU and RAM. Does the game list requirement specs for your video card? If not, then it will be assumed to run it fine.

joesomebody
04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Should have no problems. Video card is something else you'll need to worry about, but those requirements are pretty low, so I wouldn't expect it to require much on the graphics card either.

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Great! Thanks.
I thought the requirements were a bit small by comparison to some others I’ve glanced at while browsing etc.
The game (Microsoft Flight Simulator) didn’t specify video card requirements; not even sure what I have. My laptop is HD capable…not sure if that tells me anything etc.

Thanks again guys.

Mr. Krab
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes, but for Vista 4 gigs of ram would probably help alot.

Demonpenz
04-15-2009, 11:18 AM
you aren't muslim are you?

orange
04-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Great! Thanks.
I thought the requirements were a bit small by comparison to some others I’ve glanced at while browsing etc.
The game (Microsoft Flight Simulator) didn’t specify video card requirements; not even sure what I have. My laptop is HD capable…not sure if that tells me anything etc.

Thanks again guys.

Unless you bought a souped-up laptop, you don't really have a video card. Any game that lists a video card as a requirement is probably out of your current reach (except older games in the discount pile).

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
But I should be good with my 2GB of RAM right?
Would it help a bit if I closed any unused programs before launching the game?

Good info about the video card…specifically avoiding games that may specify the need for one. I honestly didn’t know I ‘didn’t’ have one. :D:

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
you aren't muslim are you?

No, but I'm Iraqi...so I should be safe.

Jewish Rabbi
04-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Make sure you actually have Vista if it specifies it in the specs. The game may require DirectX 10.

Pants
04-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Good info about the video card…specifically avoiding games that may specify the need for one. I honestly didn’t know I ‘didn’t’ have one. :D:

Which MS Flight Simulator is it? They are usually pretty demanding on graphics. Don't worry about RAM, worry about the GPU instead.

Also, make sure you get a good flight stick, since playing those with a keyboard = game fail.

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Which MS Flight Simulator is it? They are usually pretty demanding on graphics. Don't worry about RAM, worry about the GPU instead.

Also, make sure you get a good flight stick, since playing those with a keyboard = game fail.

It’s “Microsoft Flight Simulator”; not being sarcastic, but that’s the info on the cover. It looks like it’s copywrighted from 2006? It’ll be my first exposure to it. I’m really looking forward to it. Does GPU = Processor speed? Man, I’m new at this stuff. Haha. Usually just use the computer for work/email/web.

I picked up joystick they had on sale for $30; 11 buttons, throttle etc. Yeah, about 10 years ago I tried playing a simulator with a keyboard….good god.

orange
04-15-2009, 11:43 AM

You do have to watch out for RAM a little, though. Your laptop video actually uses some of your RAM. Read your documentation to see how much - you don't really have 2GB free.

Obviously, you've got plenty for the game you're talking about, though. But if you're looking at a game that needs 1.5GB you may have problems.

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Make sure you actually have Vista if it specifies it in the specs. The game may require DirectX 10.

Hmm. I’m pretty sure I’m running Vista. It’s doesn’t look like XP or 2000 etc. I’m running XP here at work; my laptop is quite a bit different.
Does the DirectX10 come with Vista? Or is this a download etc?

Holy crap….computer games are complicated. Haha. I should just stick with PS3.

orange
04-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Hmm. I’m pretty sure I’m running Vista. It’s doesn’t look like XP or 2000 etc. I’m running XP here at work; my laptop is quite a bit different.
Does the DirectX10 come with Vista? Or is this a download etc?

Holy crap….computer games are complicated. Haha. I should just stick with PS3.

Click your Start button, then Control Panel, then System. That will tell you what you've got.

Blankey
04-15-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Pretty good indicator

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Click your Start button, then Control Panel, then System. That will tell you what you've got.

I shall :thumb:

Dayze
04-15-2009, 11:55 AM

Pretty good indicator

Cool; thanks. I'm going to email it to my home address and have the wife run it. Great link.
:thumb:

Fish
04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
It’s “Microsoft Flight Simulator”; not being sarcastic, but that’s the info on the cover. It looks like it’s copywrighted from 2006? It’ll be my first exposure to it. I’m really looking forward to it. Does GPU = Processor speed? Man, I’m new at this stuff. Haha. Usually just use the computer for work/email/web.

I picked up joystick they had on sale for $30; 11 buttons, throttle etc. Yeah, about 10 years ago I tried playing a simulator with a keyboard….good god.

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. That's the "chip" on your video card.

Pants
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM

If it has a big "X" after the "Flight Simulator" part, it's the 10th one and, yeah, you will need a decent video card to run it.

orange
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Pretty good indicator

Cool; thanks. I'm going to email it to my home address and have the wife run it. Great link.
:thumb:

That is cool. They don't have Sacred II, though, which I would like to checkout. Too bad they don't have a "requests" button.

Dayze
04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
If it has a big "X" after the "Flight Simulator" part, it's the 10th one and, yeah, you will need a decent video card to run it.

Grrr…yep, it has an “X” after it.
So, this game is not doable with my current setup?

Pants
04-15-2009, 12:08 PM

It's doable depending on what your laptop is packing in terms of a graphics card. It's all relative to how well you expect to run it (on what settings) as well.

Fish
04-15-2009, 12:09 PM

It's probably doable, it just won't look quite as good as it should. Maybe a little jerky in certain spots. Just give it a try. It won't hurt anything.

orange
04-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Keep in mind- once you start down the path of PC games, "upgrade" will become a part of your daily vocabulary. ;)

Basileus777
04-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Don't worry about this. No games actually require Vista or DX10.

Dayze
04-15-2009, 12:17 PM
It's doable depending on what your laptop is packing in terms of a graphics card. It's all relative to how well you expect to run it (on what settings) as well.

I would simply like a fairly smooth running game etc; not too worried about having astonishing graphics etc.

Dayze
04-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Keep in mind- once you start down the path of PC games, "upgrade" will become a part of your daily vocabulary. ;)

...I can see why. ;)
good lord.

Basileus777
04-15-2009, 12:21 PM
According to this you only need a 32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card. Vista and DX10 are not required. You can probably run this game with integrated graphics if you don't have a video card.

http://www.fsinsider.com/product/faqs/Pages/default.aspx

Dayze
04-15-2009, 12:25 PM
From the sounds of things – the collective wisdom of CP – I think I’m just going to install it and see what happens with regard to graphics etc. hopefully it’s fairly smooth during game play.

If not, I guess it’s not a big deal; I got it for $19 – although the price tag read 29.99…but it rang up as 19 and I was outta there.

Fish
04-15-2009, 12:31 PM
From the sounds of things – the collective wisdom of CP – I think I’m just going to install it and see what happens with regard to graphics etc. hopefully it’s fairly smooth during game play.

If not, I guess it’s not a big deal; I got it for $19 – although the price tag read 29.99…but it rang up as 19 and I was outta there.

Dayze is now offline..... :D

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/07/CIMG3042-1200.jpg

Dayze
04-15-2009, 01:08 PM
that might be what my laptop looks like if we draft an OT at #3.

:D:

Dayze
04-15-2009, 07:49 PM
now I know why i've always avoided buying a PC game; I've been trying to install the game since 6pm lol

It made it abou 90% through the install process, then just 'hung' and wasn't responding at all. let it sit for about 30 minutes, just in case, then had to end it.

I've placed 6 calls to MS customer support; each time I get transferred, wait 20 minutes; then get disconnected.:#

lol.....unreal.

htismaqe
04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, that's why I rarely play PC games.

Something always needs tweaking, usually video and sound drivers.

macdawg
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I played pc games from 2004-2006 and quit gaming, but man its not worth it unless you want to become a bit of a computer geek.

Most games have in the manual to shut down your anti-virus program while installing, because those can interfere with the install.