PDA

View Full Version : Life Has anyone ever worked for Kirby Co

crispystl
04-15-2009, 09:41 PM
My wife and I are victims of the auto industry. I have a job with the Kirby Co now. Has anyone ever worked for them? They copy checks leading sellers have received and it looks like people make good money selling these things. Has anyone ever worked for the company?

DeezNutz
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I played Kirby's Adventure.

Thought it was overrated.

Reaper16
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Kirby sucks

http://www.freewebs.com/kirbyscrib/Kirny%20sucking%20up.jpg

Reaper16
04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Which is to say that he inhales a lot.

Kirby is actually really awesome.

Bugeater
04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I hate those people with a fucking passion.

crispystl
04-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Which is to say that he inhales a lot.

Kirby is actually really awesome.

the machine is amazing don't get me wrong, but I'm just having trouble justifying to my wife all the hours and have no sales yet. my boss seems like a good due, but he is a salesman and i'm worried he is selling me on selling Kirbys. Do you guys get my drift??
p.s. thanks for all comments.

crispystl
04-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I hate those people with a ****ing passion.

Don't hate me bro. I'm just trying to find work in this horrible economy.

DeezNutz
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I hate those people with a ****ing passion.

You were a Sega Genesis guy?

It's cool. We should be able to get along now, though.

LaChapelle
04-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Who's got money for a chrome vacuum?

Smed1065
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM

I would believe that a Kirby salesman in this economy is not a good prospect. I mean food, transportation and the like would come first. IMO.

Saulbadguy
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Did you have to invest any of your own money to become a salesman?

Skip Towne
04-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I knew a guy who sold Kirbys. He told people he sold "dirt moving equipment"

Reaper16
04-15-2009, 09:59 PM
the machine is amazing don't get me wrong, but I'm just having trouble justifying to my wife all the hours and have no sales yet. my boss seems like a good due, but he is a salesman and i'm worried he is selling me on selling Kirbys. Do you guys get my drift??
No, you should not be thanking me. I was not helpful at all. I had no idea what you were talking about, so I posted a pic of a video game character.

crispystl
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Did you have to invest any of your own money to become a salesman?

No, but I didn't get paid for two days training and haven't sold shit lol. I should also say my wife has a great job so it's not like we will starve or anything if I don't make it.( She got promoted for relocating actually) So I guess I should say I am a victim of the auto industry. i had to quit my old job which I held for 9 years.

Bugeater
04-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I can respect that, but IMO their sales practices are sleazy. They weasel their way into your home on the pretense of cleaning your carpet for free, and then spend hours working you over with their sales pitch. I had to threaten to call the cops to get them out of my house one time after my wife let them in.

banyon
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Dog-Bounty-Hunter-tv-12.jpg

rad
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I sold Electroluxes for while years ago....same premise. I only made money if I sold anything and it's difficult to sell a vacuum cleaner that costs 600-900 bucks. I did OK, but I had just had my first kid and needed a job with benefits. My boss did the same thing you experienced, showing me a paycheck which he netted about 3G....I got fooled into thinking I could do the same thing, but I never did.

Makes for interesting stories though, going into all those houses, meeting all kinds of weird people...I did my stint during the summer and had old ladies telling me I could take my shirt off if I wanted to......had some hotties giggling and staring me up and down a couple times :D

Pablo
04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
My little brother worked for them for like a couple weeks..went through their training process..went on sales calls, etc.

Didn't sell shit and didn't get his "guaranteed" training pay from his boss either, but he quit after working there for like 2 or 3 weeks.

Pablo
04-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I hear ya on the sales stuff man, I'm not really wanting to go that route myself, but I may have to go into life insurance/mutual fund sales when I graduate here in a month.

Really don't wanna try the whole solely commission based route, but I'm considering it.

rad
04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
I can respect that, but IMO their sales practices are sleazy. They weasel their way into your home on the pretense of cleaning your carpet for free, and then spend hours working you over with their sales pitch. I had to threaten to call the cops to get them out of my house one time after my wife let them in.

That's another story...I had a lady freak out on me because she wanted to leave me in the house alone while she went and ran an errand. I told her that I wasn't allowed to be in her house without someone present due to insurance purposes etc....she flipped and made me leave out the back door and walk around to the front, the whole while she was cursing me out and calling me names out her windows as I walked around, going from window to window...it was funny, but kinda scary at the time.

Rain Man
04-15-2009, 10:18 PM
You're not selling vacuum cleaners. You're selling cleanliness, which is next to godliness.

Pablo
04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
You're not selling vacuum cleaners. You're selling cleanliness, which is next to godliness.Haha.

To be fair, the machine you're selling is pretty damn nice. Pretty damn expensive too, but my brother demo-ed some really skanky part of the carpet at my dad's house(foyer), and that f*cking Kirby sucked up layer after layer of nasty gunk and made the carpet look remarkably better.

But it's still a really expensive vacuum.

Hell, I know Dyson's aren't nearly as powerful as a Kirby, but they're pretty effective and about 1/3 the price.

chop
04-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I think they build you up and tell you that you need to practice selling to your family and friends. They want you to practice on them cause they are the only ones that will buy one from you. Then they are off to the next class.

Pablo
04-15-2009, 10:22 PM
If you wanna sell the shit outta those things, just watch this before you go out on your sales call...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TROhlThs9qY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TROhlThs9qY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I had a guy try to sell me those one time, and he picked up my love seat to sweep and demonstrate it and i had a beer can underneth my couch and he tried to get it off the sweeper head before it did damage, but it started smoking and shit and burt my rug

crispystl
04-15-2009, 10:26 PM

I am a good person- if you can't afford it I don' t push. Today I met a very nice gentleman who served in the navy during WW2. I waited until i had everything packed up so he didn't think i was bs-ing him. I told him thanks for his time, but thank you most for my freedom. I appreciate what you have one for me and my country. He just lost his wife and told me about the day he came home from the navy and his wife was waiting for him. It almost brought him to tears. What a nice guy. he made me appreciate my family that much more. I felt so much sorrow for him. I always try to personally thank veterans.

crispystl
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
If you wanna sell the shit outta those things, just watch this before you go out on your sales call...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TROhlThs9qY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TROhlThs9qY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow my boss is way more positive than that, but man it all boils down.

SLAG
04-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I did-
I was told that there would be girls setting up appointments for us, as we went through training, I watched the William Shatner Video, did all the sales training...

Then I found out what it was really all about... they packed 6 of us in a mini van with NO AC in the middle of July and sent us door to door.. we would knock on the door with Dawn Dish soap in one hand and Palmolive in the other and ask what one they like better.. then they would get to keep the bottle once we were in to do a demo...
If someone was in a Demo and needed the closer.. the rest of us were stuck in the hot ass van while he tried to close the sale.

I did that one day then I quit.. they told me that they fired the call girls - no pun intended - right as we were set to go out door to door..

We were also trained to head to trailer parks.. and find houses that had decorations such as those shiny orbs out in their lawn.. they said if they can afford to buy crap and stick it outside then they can afford a Vacuum.

The Product is Amazing, the Sales method is Shit, they would sell much more if they would do it online or in a retail store like others ... heck. the machine can suck the tobacco out of a cigarette without ripping the paper... leaves the tube perfectly intact

Oddly enough - someone came to the house just yesterday trying to sell one.. I told Him I had been there and done that.. so he said "Can you help me out" I Said sorry buddy.. Only Hardwoods and tile in here... I had been taught that if the client said that.. Offer to do the demo on their car... guess dude didn't get good enough training..

My Advice... Find something else

Bugeater
04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I am a good person- if you can't afford it I don' t push.
You'll never be a successful salesman with that attitude.

crispystl
04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=Bugeater;5674435]You'll never be a successful salesman with that attitude.[/QUO
Yeah, that's why I don't know if it's for me it violates too many morals. I would rather be making ends meat than putting people in bankruptcy. I cant help it.

04-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Kirby sucks

http://www.freewebs.com/kirbyscrib/Kirny%20sucking%20up.jpgNot suction. AIRFLOW!!!

kcfanXIII
04-16-2009, 12:59 AM

just quit justifying. i justified for two months. didn't make shit. oh, i sold about 15 units, but they all came back bad credit. so not a dime. the hours suck. knocking doors sucks. i would say just find another job.

macdawg
04-16-2009, 01:33 AM
I would wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do if you got it.

crispystl
04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
well I sold one today and made three bills so I guess that's a start. I've only shown six and the first two I would have walked out of now that I have a little more experience.

crispystl
04-16-2009, 06:55 PM
WTF do you say that?

Rain Man
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
well I sold one today and made three bills so I guess that's a start. I've only shown six and the first two I would have walked out of now that I have a little more experience.

Congrats! The world has become a slightly cleaner place.

Bugeater
04-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Nice going, that's not a bad commission on one sale...

crispystl
04-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Nice going, that's not a bad commission on one sale...

Thanks I was stoked. I needed the icebreaker ya know?

crispystl
04-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Congrats! The world has become a slightly cleaner place.

Yes it has. Yes it has lol

Mama Hip Rockets
04-16-2009, 07:14 PM
i have a chinchilla named kirby. he is awesome.

LaChapelle
04-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Keep the kirby people busy long enough so the nieghbors siphon his gas instead of yours.

Hydrae
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I prefer a Rainbow. Expensive but it does a hell of a job. I was spending $100 a year on new vaccuums (too many pets and kids). Don't expect to ever buy another one.

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/rainbowsystem/main/?lg=english

ElGringo
04-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I sold Kirbys for about a year while in college, and I believe I learned something from the experience. I believe if you can make a single person living off selling those things, you were made to be a sales person of some kind. They are great machines, and everyone should have one, but for the price, talking someone into one is quite a task.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I tried to work at Kirby when i turned 18, but i couldnt take it, so i quit 1 week later
signed
Will Franklin

StcChief
04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
I have a 30 yo Kirby, what a tank.

xpatriotpatsfan
04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
My wife and I are victims of the auto industry. I have a job with the Kirby Co now. Has anyone ever worked for them? They copy checks leading sellers have received and it looks like people make good money selling these things. Has anyone ever worked for the company?

two weeks they weren't straight with me, didn't outright lie but didn't reveal stuff they should have, so i left

crispystl
04-16-2009, 08:21 PM
two weeks they weren't straight with me, didn't outright lie but didn't reveal stuff they should have, so i left

That's kinda what thought. Then after I got a sell I felt much better. I will see how it goes, but I was just sitting at home dropping resumes on craigslist. So the way I see it I can still do that and hey if I sell kirbys in the meantime that's better than zero income, and if I get an offer, I'm an independent contractor so I can stay home any day if I want an interview. I kinda feel like I could do this though. I see the potential they speak of now that I've gotten over the hump of training.

tate2133
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
crispystl420...i pm'd ya in case you dont check...nice work on your sale

04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I prefer a Rainbow. Expensive but it does a hell of a job. I was spending $100 a year on new vaccuums (too many pets and kids). Don't expect to ever buy another one.

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/rainbowsystem/main/?lg=englishI absolutely hated the Rainbow system. Tried a demo of it.

crispystl
04-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Oh man, you're missing out. But I am not soliciting on cheifsplanet. Lol

crispystl
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
crispystl420...i pm'd ya in case you dont check...nice work on your sale

Thanks bro, but i like the product I'm selling. I appreciate though.

crispystl
04-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I absolutely hated the Rainbow system. Tried a demo of it.
I agree. The stagnant water sucks.

tate2133
04-16-2009, 09:32 PM
no prob

The_Doctor10
04-16-2009, 09:41 PM

If you're one of the one percent of humans who was born to be a salesman, you can make a killing.

I on the other hand worked for Kirby for six weeks, made .50 cents a day (averaged out over my tenure), caught pneumonia, and almost stood by and watched my boss try and talk some old lady with Alzheimer's out of her Canada Pension money.

So if you haven't gotten five sales within the first three days, quit now. You're better off job-hunting, at least then you're not kidding yourself into believing you're making money.

The_Doctor10
04-16-2009, 09:45 PM

If you're one of the one percent of humans who was born to be a salesman, you can make a killing.

I on the other hand worked for Kirby for six weeks, made .50 cents a day (averaged out over my tenure), caught pneumonia, and almost stood by and watched my boss try and talk some old lady with Alzheimer's out of her Canada Pension money.

So if you haven't gotten five sales within the first three days, quit now. You're better off job-hunting, at least then you're not kidding yourself into believing you're making money.

Btw, the product is indeed excellent. The business practices this company employs are fucking criminal. Do not drink the Kool-Aid, you will regret it.

Pioli Zombie
04-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Fuck Kirby. Fuck Todd and Fuck Kyle too!!
Posted via Mobile Device

crispystl
04-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Btw, the product is indeed excellent. The business practices this company employs are ****ing criminal. Do not drink the Kool-Aid, you will regret it.

Five sales in my first three days would be insane. Like i said i can still drop my resume on the net all day long. However no one was calling so at least I'm making something.

The_Doctor10
04-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Five sales in my first three days would be insane. Like i said i can still drop my resume on the net all day long. However no one was calling so at least I'm making something.

But that's the point though. Unless you can sell at an insane clip, you're wasting your time. And personally, I find online resume-dropping is the most inefficient way to find a job.

ExtremeChief
04-17-2009, 04:52 AM

I sold rainbows and own one. They can be a pain since you have to dump the water out of them but they absolutely dont have any dust or anything coming out of them like traditional vacs. The traditionals have gotten better though with the hepa filters and such...

jjjayb
04-17-2009, 05:50 AM
Do you think overly expensive vacuums are going to sell better than cars?

crispystl
04-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Do you think overly expensive vacuums are going to sell better than cars?

Well, I sold one today and yesterday so I guess.

Pioli Zombie
04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Kirby vacuums are of the Devil. The Anti-Christ will come selling vacuums in the age of communication, so sayeth the Lord. When that giant sucking comes near, flee it. It comes to clean, kill, and destroy. But He who made the heavens and the Earth will come to crush Kirby. Be ready for the day of reckoning suction of death.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
04-17-2009, 06:46 PM

You've sold two now? What's your batting average? That seems pretty good.

Monty
04-17-2009, 07:16 PM

If you're working it correctly, you should average 1 sale for every 3 showings. Just have fun while you're doing it. I did this back in the day when I was in college and it can be rewarding, you just have to work at it and have the right frame of mind. There are a few ppl who don't run the business correctly and make the rest look bad. I found the experience to be quite enlightening as I really learned a lot about people. I still apply that knowledge today.....good luck to you.

Monty
04-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I sold Kirbys for about a year while in college, and I believe I learned something from the experience. I believe if you can make a single person living off selling those things, you were made to be a sales person of some kind. They are great machines, and everyone should have one, but for the price, talking someone into one is quite a task.

Maybe, but if the presentation is done correctly, they'll be asking you to buy one, not the other way around. You should never have to talk someone into buying one of these machines.

Pioli Zombie
04-17-2009, 08:25 PM
If I want to spend a grand for something that can suck the dirt out of a carpet I'll go on The Backpage.
Posted via Mobile Device

scorpio
04-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Had a roommate who tried to sell those things for awhile.

Don't do it, man. Especially if you have a family.

Fairplay
04-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Victory is mine..............

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQNj1EQN-o0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQNj1EQN-o0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stewie
04-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Rule #1 in the training class: Don't mention that there are other vacuum cleaners that perform just as well at an 80% discount.

Baby Lee
04-18-2009, 08:51 AM
All salesmen are selling the same thing, getting them to shut up and leave. ;)

crispystl
04-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Rule #1 in the training class: Don't mention that there are other vacuum cleaners that perform just as well at an 80% discount.

Thats simply not true. I'm not trying to sell you anything. Read the consumer reviews.

crispystl
04-18-2009, 07:23 PM
You've sold two now? What's your batting average? That seems pretty good.

ya I've had six 8 showings. I don't really count the first two, because my boss gave me people who he knew wouldn't buy for practice. So i am 2 for 6 .333 , but it's my first week I only expect to get better. I would have sold one today had the wife's husband not been in a recent motorcycle crash she loved it and was dying for it, however after she said she couldn't afford the best offer I could give her I got all of her spots up and packed up. I won't pressure the hell out of people. I understand hardships. I'm not looking to get rich just make a living. So please don't stereotype me as the asshole pushy salesman.

crispystl
04-18-2009, 07:24 PM
If I want to spend a grand for something that can suck the dirt out of a carpet I'll go on The Backpage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Man if you don't want one that's cool. No reason to bash me.

crispystl
04-18-2009, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=Monty;5680413]If you're working it correctly, you should average 1 sale for every 3 showings. Just have fun while you're doing it. I did this back in the day when I was in college and it can be rewarding, you just have to work at it and have the right frame of mind. There are a few ppl who don't run the business correctly and make the rest look bad. I found the experience to be quite enlightening as I really learned a lot about people. I still apply that knowledge today.....good luck to you.[/QUOTe

I agree. it's a great experience , and our crew plays it real we don't pressure anyone we give you our bottom dollar if you say no, we make sure to clean your carpet well and leave.

crispystl
04-18-2009, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Monty;5680413]If you're working it correctly, you should average 1 sale for every 3 showings. Just have fun while you're doing it. I did this back in the day when I was in college and it can be rewarding, you just have to work at it and have the right frame of mind. There are a few ppl who don't run the business correctly and make the rest look bad. I found the experience to be quite enlightening as I really learned a lot about people. I still apply that knowledge today.....good luck to you.[/QUOTe

I agree. it's a great experience , and our crew plays it real we don't pressure anyone we give you our bottom dollar if you say no, we make sure to clean your carpet well and leave.
I wanna say thanks for the good luck nod too.

Monty
04-18-2009, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=crispystl420;5682799]
I wanna say thanks for the good luck nod too.

No problem. :toast:

Monty
04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
ya I've had six 8 showings. I don't really count the first two, because my boss gave me people who he knew wouldn't buy for practice. So i am 2 for 6 .333 , but it's my first week I only expect to get better. I would have sold one today had the wife's husband not been in a recent motorcycle crash she loved it and was dying for it, however after she said she couldn't afford the best offer I could give her I got all of her spots up and packed up. I won't pressure the hell out of people. I understand hardships. I'm not looking to get rich just make a living. So please don't stereotype me as the asshole pushy salesman.

Well done. Don't be surprised to get a call from her in a few months when the timing is better. I can't count how many times that happened to me. People really respect it when you don't pressure them. :)

crispystl
04-19-2009, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=crispystl420;5682787]ya I've had six 8 showings. I don't really count the first two, because my boss gave me people who he knew wouldn't buy for practice. So i am 2 for 6 .333

Shit I take that back I've been in eight shows. Two of them my boss gave me for my first time because he h knew they wouldnt buy so i dont even count them because I would just shampoo and roll nowadays. Two of them I just watched so I am 2-2.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2009, 06:51 PM

What do I know about Kirby salesmen? I would rather have an infectious disease in my house, at least you can kill that without being brought up on charges.

I had a guy that wouldn't leave. I had to threaten to call the police. I would buy a Kirby Vacuum new ever.

KcFanInGA
04-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Had a Kirby lady ask me if I wore the pants in the family when we dident get one. My wife came home and bought it. Waste. My Kenmore from Sears works a thousand times better. I dont know about Kirby, but I sold Electrolux once for about a month, and it was absolute hell. Good luck to you though, Im hopin to pick up some work cleaning carpets next week.

kcfanXIII
04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293624/

check this movie out. you'll laugh so hard you'll cry if you've ever done this work.

Monty
04-19-2009, 07:52 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293624/

check this movie out. you'll laugh so hard you'll cry if you've ever done this work.

Agreed!

IMO, this ranks up there with Office Space. :thumb:

Pioli Zombie
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
This thread is destined for 100 posts
Posted via Mobile Device

B_Ambuehl
04-19-2009, 08:11 PM

When I was in college I made over 10 grand in a summer selling cutco knives and I'm admittedly the worst salesman ever. With virtually all direct sales it's how hard you work, not how bad ass of a salesman you are. Most of the products sold by direct sales will sell themselves it's just a matter of getting enough solid presentations.

crispystl
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
When I was in college I made over 10 grand in a summer selling cutco knives and I'm admittedly the worst salesman ever. With virtually all direct sales it's how hard you work, not how bad ass of a salesman you are. Most of the products sold by direct sales will sell themselves it's just a matter of getting enough solid presentations.

Yeah I've noticed you have to work hard at it whether you are good at it or not.

kcfanXIII
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
crispy, have you watched super suckers yet? get together with your crew for a "morale boost." it will have you all laughing hysterically, like the woman in "reefer madness."

Bwana
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM
That has to be a hard gig in these trying times.........good luck.

Spott
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
I had one of those guys come by a while back trying to sell me a Kirby. I had the guy at my house for over 2 hours doing his demonstration and I even got him to shampoo the carpet in a room that I had origanally planned on paying to have done as well as vacuuming most of my house. He started off at 2 grand and I got him down to 600 dollars before I told him and his "manager" that I never wanted the vacuum in the first place and I was just purposely wasting their time because I don't like door to door salesman. I've done the same with the Culligan man, a couple of life insurance salesman and guy selling Cutco knives. I got one life insurance salesman so mad that I thought we were going to end up duking it out in my front yard.

The_Doctor10
04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Thats simply not true. I'm not trying to sell you anything. Read the consumer reviews.

The consumer reviews say the product is great, and the salespeople make the experience so goddamn unpleasant that they wish they'd never bought the damn thing.

Jenson71
04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I had one of those guys come by a while back trying to sell me a Kirby. I had the guy at my house for over 2 hours doing his demonstration and I even got him to shampoo the carpet in a room that I had origanally planned on paying to have done as well as vacuuming most of my house. He started off at 2 grand and I got him down to 600 dollars before I told him and his "manager" that I never wanted the vacuum in the first place and I was just purposely wasting their time because I don't like door to door salesman. I've done the same with the Culligan man, a couple of life insurance salesman and guy selling Cutco knives. I got one life insurance salesman so mad that I thought we were going to end up duking it out in my front yard.

They're just trying to make a living. No reason to think you're better than them and treat them like horseshit.

Bwana
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM

It's not worth burning 2 hours of my life to screw with people. I just say no thanks and close the door.

Rain Man
04-21-2009, 09:34 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to screw with someone who is selling knives door to door.

kcfanXIII
04-21-2009, 09:42 PM

can't wait for karma to come back around on you...

anymore i stop them when they start talking about their contests. i say i've been there and i'm not interested. if i'm not busy i tell them even though i'm not buying they are more then welcome to come in and take a break. only had one take me up on it, cause it was a hot august day. she was hot too.

Spott
04-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to screw with someone who is selling knives door to door.

Well, I only wanted a chef's knife from the Cutco guy but he would only sell me a set. I talked him into giving me the knife he was using for his demonstration and I bought a smaller set and I immediately mailed them back to get a full refund.

It's not worth burning 2 hours of my life to screw with people. I just say no thanks and close the door.

Normally I've tell the salesman no right off the bat, but some of them are very persistent after I tell them no which has lead to me wasting their evening.