PDA

View Full Version : Life Should I sit through the 90-minute timeshare pitch to save $200 on a snorkel cruise?

TinyEvel
04-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I am in Hawaii on vacation.

I like this because, unlike stateside, my time is now my own.

The Oahu Mariott vacation resort villas (or whatever you should call them) team wants us to go through the timeshare sales seminar.

If we do, we get $200 off a sunset snorkel/dolphin sail cruise and get to hang in their resort pool for a day.

I told the wife no deal, since i hate high-pressure sales situations, and I want to spend my time between the poolside bar and the reef.

Should I agree to the sales pitch, just to shut the guy down at the end, in order to get $200 off a $400 family snorkel trip?

Nzoner
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Whatever you do just don't end up the topic of one of those Open Water movies

Bugeater
04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Absolutely not. That 90 minutes will become three days.

Jenson71
04-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd do it.

OnTheWarpath15
04-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Fuck no.

I honestly can't believe you're even considering it.

crispystl
04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Absolutely not. That 90 minutes will become three days.

Listen to this guy.

chiefscraze
04-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Talk to the people at the attraction desk where you are staying and they can usually get you booked for a snorkel cruise just as economically. Every time I have sat through the time share presentation I have regretted it due to their persistence and most of the time they don't even want to give me the F*****g discount at the end. They make you feel so bad for not committing to buying that you feel bad for even asking for the discount. Look around and talk to the cruise providers or the activities desk and ask them for the best deal and you will be suprised at the deals you can work out on your own.

whoman69
04-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I did one of those in Vegas. Took half a day when we only had two days there.

tonyetony
04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Talk to the people at the attraction desk where you are staying and they can usually get you booked for a snorkel cruise just as economically. Every time I have sat through the time share presentation I have regretted it due to their persistence and most of the time they don't even want to give me the F*****g discount at the end. They make you feel so bad for not committing to buying that you feel bad for even asking for the discount. Look around and talk to the cruise providers or the activities desk and ask them for the best deal and you will be suprised at the deals you can work out on your own.

That's dead on.

KCChiefsMan
04-16-2009, 09:56 PM
No, don't do it. You're on vacation and you should be relaxing, no need to waste your time.

Jenson71
04-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Maybe you can listen twice to make it free.

Kyle DeLexus
04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
You guys just don't know how to have a good time. Go and act extremely interested and make them think this one will be easy. After you have some fun with questions and such go for the kill and say your not interested and get your discount.

Kyle DeLexus
04-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Or, since it's your vacation and your having fun, be the most difficult person they have ever had to work with that way when you say no they won't keep asking.

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2009, 10:03 PM
There's no way I'd snorkel in the Hawaiian island waters.

Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too many tiger sharks and way too many shark attacks that are not reported in the local media (let alone, Stateside).

Joe Seahawk
04-16-2009, 11:08 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too many tiger sharks and way too many shark attacks that are not reported in the local media (let alone, Stateside).

Wouldn't that be a bitch.. You sit through the thing to get a snorkel trip and then get eaten by a tiger shark.. bummer!

Jenson71
04-16-2009, 11:10 PM

That's the point, Dane. Do you snorkel in your bathtub?

04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Not only no but HELL NO!!!

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2009, 11:44 PM
That's the point, Dane. Do you snorkel in your bathtub?

I don't snorkel anymore, period.

The last time I snorkeled, I came face-to-face with a 5 foot long Barracuda that bared his teeth at me.

Being eaten by a shark isn't my idea of a vacation.

Hootie
04-16-2009, 11:47 PM

The last time I snorkeled, I came face-to-face with a 5 foot long Barracuda that bared his teeth at me.

don't sit down at a poker table with me

DaneMcCloud
04-16-2009, 11:48 PM
don't sit down at a poker table with me

ROFL

L.A. Chieffan
04-16-2009, 11:49 PM
u like fishsticks?

alnorth
04-17-2009, 12:13 AM
God no. Forget 90 minutes, your looking at several hours of sheer boredom followed by saying no and politely trying to get your discount so many times you lose count. If I'm on a really big vacation, I value my time and freedom from being hassled a lot more highly than $200

Fritz88
04-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I will go through it.

Hear this:

One time, My buddy and I had to pretend that we were a gay couple in order to be eligible for the seminar. We spent 3 hours and saved 75 bux and it was worth it.

Jenson71
04-17-2009, 01:10 AM
I will go through it.

Hear this:

One time, My buddy and I had to pretend that we were a gay couple in order to be eligible for the seminar. We spent 3 hours and saved 75 bux and it was worth it.

Did you make out afterwards?

tmax63
04-17-2009, 05:25 AM
I listened 1 time. They were very persistent but I got them shut down pretty quickly. I only had to get to 5 on the "rude" meter before they gave up.

Old Dog
04-17-2009, 06:35 AM
I listen to these things once in a while when I go to Vegas (it depends on how long the trip is). 90 minutes generally turns into about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but I end up with show tickets for whatever we were looking at seeing and from $200 to $300 in cash.

The last time though I came real close to buying the damn thing at the end....scary thought. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

Skip Towne
04-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Does anybody actually buy after listening?

Amnorix
04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Yes, you should go, because dealing with high pressure sales tactics and the guilt of saying no is a great way to spend your vacation!

Duck Dog
04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't do it for $200. In addition you should ask for at least 1dinner for two, 2 messages, $50 in drinks.

Chiefnj2
04-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Would the $200 saved allow you and your wife to do something else you otherwise wouldn't do on the vacation? Like take a helicopter to look at a volcano? Then it might be worth it. If it is just the cash savings, I'd say skip the stress of the sales pitch.

thebrad84
04-17-2009, 08:23 AM
My wife and I had our honeymoon in Kauai last August and we debated that very thing. We ultimately decided it wasn't worth our short time there. Like you, we were staying at a resort that offered their own activities to choose from (snorkel, dinner cruise, kayaking, luau's, etc.) that were all expensive. We went outside our resort to a discount activity agent (there were tons of them on Kauai, not sure about Oahu) and saved us $150.00 on three activities that were the same three activities our resort offered. Might be worth a look if you decide to go the route of not listening to the time share.

Iowanian
04-17-2009, 08:38 AM

I'll bet your scuba name is "brown mcCloud" isn't it. Admit it dane...you inked the water like a giant squid.

Lex Luthors
04-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I am in Hawaii on vacation.

I like this because, unlike stateside, my time is now my own.

So why the hell would you give up your own time?

Listen to the guys who are saying the 90 minutes will turn into half a day. They are right.

Mr. Plow
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Nope. Enjoy your vacation without having to deal with shit like that.

Frazod
04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I got suckered into attending one of those stupid time-share presentations once. Got a thing in the mail saying I was guaranteed to win one of a bunch of GREAT AMAZING PRIZES!!!!, all of which I really wanted except the lame ass Florida vacation. Watched some stupid sales movie with Florence Henderson, then stuck my hand in a bin and drew my prize.... the lame ass Florida vacation (which would have included more high pressure sales crap). Somehow I doubt if anything was in the pin except the Florida vacations.

The funny thing is, I was completely broke at the time and ended up filing for bankruptcy shortly thereafter. And those fools thought I could afford a time share? I guess they were as dumb for inviting me as I was for going. :D

But these things are life learning lessons. And unlike the pricks who took me for the better part of my meager navy paycheck with a 3 card monty scam on a Norfolk bus when I was 19, this one didn't cost me anything.

MIAdragon
04-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Hanauma bay/

Bowser
04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Just drop the "don't you know who I am" card on them. Show them that MLB 09 commercial, and you'll likely just get comped the whole thing.

burt
04-17-2009, 10:31 AM
I do it, it gives me a chance to see some real closers. Then I basically laugh at them and tell them their closing flaws. In Mexico, they keep it to 90 minutes. I got my activities paid for, a Mexican blanket and some rot gut Tequila...which I drank straight.

Kyle DeLexus
04-17-2009, 10:46 AM
If your not the kind of person who can be talked into buying something, I think it'd be fun to go to these things and messing with them. Kind of a dick move, but your on vacation.

DaneMcCloud
04-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I'll bet your scuba name is "brown mcCloud" isn't it. Admit it dane...you inked the water like a giant squid.

Actually, I found out later from my Dad (who's a very experienced diver) that I did the exact wrong thing: I screamed underwater (I think!), turned and swam as fast as I could to the shore (about 60 yards away - this was in a "supposedly" safe lagoon). I was told that I should have stared him down and I was "lucky" he didn't chase me.

A very nice couple was there to help me get out of the water and onto a dock. They said they saw the whole thing and that it looked like the barracuda was ready to attack.

It scared me shitless. Fortunately, I didn't poop.

If it had been a shark, I most certainly would have lost control of my bodily functions and I'd probably be dead.

Bowser
04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Actually, I found out later from my Dad (who's a very experienced diver) that I did the exact wrong thing: I screamed underwater (I think!), turned and swam as fast as I could to the shore (about 60 yards away - this was in a "supposedly" safe lagoon). I was told that I should have stared him down and I was "lucky" he didn't chase me.

A very nice couple was there to help me get out of the water and onto a dock. They said they saw the whole thing and that it looked like the barracuda was ready to attack.

It scared me shitless. Fortunately, I didn't poop.

If it had been a shark, I most certainly would have lost control of my bodily functions and I'd probably be dead.

Maybe not, had you turned around and pooped in the shark's mouth. He wouldn't be in the mood to eat then.

TinyEvel
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I think the handle "brown McCloud" is gonna stick. :thumb:

(and, we didn't go to the sales thing. We had already bailed on it when I posted, but I know a lot of people get these offers and was wondering how shitty it really is. Thanks for confirming my beliefs, guys)