PDA

View Full Version : Computers Computer won't connect to wireless automatically

Buehler445
04-16-2009, 11:59 PM
OK,I just got off the phone with Dell for 2 motherfucking hours. :cuss:

The deal is that when I restart my computer, it doesn't automatically connect to my wireless network (which it hasn't done since I bought it). Their end recommendation was reformat my harddrive and start over. I don't particularly want to do that so I figured I'd take a flyer on the Planet gurus.

What I have is a Vista Machine (a month old) connecting to a Netgear router that is pretty old. The guy looked at a bunch of settings, turned off everything in my startup (including avast) reinstalled the driver and no luck. After he reinstalled the driver, when I connected, I chose to save the network and connect automatically. When it starts up it starts connecting to the network, when you roll over the icon, it says "Identifying" and then doesn't connect and I have to do it manually.

Any suggestions?

Buck
04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Get a new Router.

Clean + Simple

Thats what I did.

pr_capone
04-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I have found that netgear makes some of the nicest looking piles of dog shit ever made.

Buehler445
04-17-2009, 07:20 AM
I have found that netgear makes some of the nicest looking piles of dog shit ever made.

Well, it worked for several years with my XP machine. It worked much better than the Microsoft router and Belkin router I used before it.

Pants
04-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Well, it worked for several years with my XP machine. It worked much better than the Microsoft router and Belkin router I used before it.

Linksys.

pr_capone
04-17-2009, 08:31 AM

An old shoebox wrapped in aluminum with a coat hanger for an antenna would work better than a microsoft or a belkin box.

Buck
04-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Ever heard of TP Link?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704001

This is the one I bought.

It works great.

Read the reviews on Newegg.

Otter
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Any suggestions?

1. Don't buy a Dell

2. Do a factory reset on router, reboot, see if it reconnects

3. Buy a new router

jjjayb
04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Buy a new router. I had issues with a router that worked perfectly well on xp when I switched to Vista on my wife's laptop. My max transfer rate was 30K/s. I spent countless hours troubleshooting it trying every fix I could find on the web. After hours and hours of messing with it and pulling my hair out I spent the few dollars for a new router. Worked flawlessly immediately. Not only that but my speeds went much faster than what it was on xp.

Save yourself the headaches and get a new router.

Duck Dog
04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Get rid of that net gear crap. Get a Linksys. Net Gear 95% of the time will not connect for our customers on our network. Also, make sure you disable the NIC.

htismaqe
04-18-2009, 04:08 PM
ROFL

Netgear stuff is just fine.

Linksys is shit.

Buehler445
04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Netgear has worked out for me. I think this one is just...ancient. I think I'm just going to deal for awhile until I can justify buying a new router.

chasedude
04-20-2009, 09:16 AM
ROFL

Netgear stuff is just fine.

Linksys with Tomato is the shit.

FYP

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 09:23 AM
OK,I just got off the phone with Dell for 2 motherfucking hours. :cuss:

The deal is that when I restart my computer, it doesn't automatically connect to my wireless network (which it hasn't done since I bought it). Their end recommendation was reformat my harddrive and start over. I don't particularly want to do that so I figured I'd take a flyer on the Planet gurus.

What I have is a Vista Machine (a month old) connecting to a Netgear router that is pretty old. The guy looked at a bunch of settings, turned off everything in my startup (including avast) reinstalled the driver and no luck. After he reinstalled the driver, when I connected, I chose to save the network and connect automatically. When it starts up it starts connecting to the network, when you roll over the icon, it says "Identifying" and then doesn't connect and I have to do it manually.

Any suggestions?
Are you sure your network is secure? Vista won't connect to an insecure automatically. It's a safety feature.

petegz28
04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Linksys...

Buehler445
04-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Are you sure your network is secure? Vista won't connect to an insecure automatically. It's a safety feature.

It's not. I don't live within distance of anyone that can jack my signal.

Thanks.

I told that to the horsefucker from Dell and he didn't say a damn word about it. What a douchenozzle.

God fucking damn it. An hour could have been 20 seconds. Fucking Dell.
Posted via Mobile Device