PDA

View Full Version : Royals An interview with The Mexicutioner

Nzoner
04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Interview here (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Answer-Man-Joakim-Soria-talks-big-TVs-wrestlin;_ylt=Ai75S3lbh4DJWsjkZ9DrSfwRvLYF?urn=mlb,156925)

Ever since they plucked him from the Padres organization via the Mexican League before the 2007 season, Joakim Soria been a rollicking success for the Royals. He made the AL All-Star team and registered 42 saves in '08 and, along the way, was given the nickname "Mexicutioner" by KC fans.

Ask any of the Royals about Soria and they will glow about his character, work habits and confidence. Ask Soria about himself and all of that is communicated, along with a sense of humor and appreciation for all things big — from the Big Unit to Kauffman Stadium's giant scoreboard. And, being from a family with two dentists — his brother and sister, Soria doesn't fear addressing his adult braces.

David Brown: How hard is it to find good Mexican food in Kansas City?

Joakim Soria: [Sighs]. It's not really hard because I'm married and my wife, Karla, cooks good Mexican food, so it's not hard [laughs].

DB: What's your favorite dish?

JS: Mexican? Ooh, there's a lot. I'm going to have to say shrimp tacos. Corn tortillas. That's probably the best dish my wife makes.

(Teammate Juan Cruz is one locker over, half-listening)

Juan Cruz: Shrimp tacos, mmm hmm.

DB: As an authentic Mexican person, will you eat at Taco Bell, or does even the thought offend you?

(Cruz, who got up, is laughing and clapping in the background)

JS: [Laughs]. Well, no. I don't each too much Taco Bell. I just never liked that food.

DB: When visiting Chicago, ever go to Pilsen? That's the huge Mexican-American heritage neighborhood. It's got museums, places to eat, events.

JS: No, I just usually stay in the hotel when we go on the road. I stay in the hotel. It's got a big bar and room service and that's it.

DB: How does one pitch a perfect game in the Mexican League, where hitters have such an advantage because of the elevation? It's like old Coors Field in that league, no?

JS: Well, the perfect game was in Mexican winter ball. That league is not too high [in elevation]. It's near the Pacific Ocean and it's not too high there. Mexico City is high, but where I threw the perfect game, it's not. It's on the coast, so...

DB: Well, then it's not as impressive as I thought it was!

JS: No! [laughs].

DB: Just kidding. The scoreboard at Kauffman Stadium has been called the world's biggest TV — how does it compare to what you have in your living room?

JS: Whoa [laughs]. That is huge, no? It does not compare at all. That thing is just huge. You can see the pimples on your face.

DB: Do you hate going out to the bullpen because you have such a good view of it from the dugout. You get out to warm up and it's like sitting in the front row of a movie.

JS: Well, no. I'm fine with that. When I do my workout, I can still look at the screen and say, "Wow, that's big!"

DB: Did you see the movie "Nacho Libre"? The one with Jack Black about Mexican wrestling, Lucha Libre?

JS: No, I have not, but I did hear about it. Have not seen it.

DB: Mmm. Just wondered how close "Nacho" is to the real thing.

JS: Well, it's fun. I went one time and it's a lot of fun. A good show.

DB: Do you have an all-time favorite wrestler?

JS: I don't have a favorite, but I like El Santo. He's one of the popular Mexican ones.

DB: He's the greatest. Your nickname, the "Mexicutioner" — that kind of sounds like a Lucha Libre character. What if you wore a mask like an El Santo while warming up and then ripped it off when you came out to the mound? Make an act out of it.

JS: No [laughs]. No way, man. There's no chance of that. That's what I do for a living — pitching — so I would never want to make anyone laugh about it.

DB: Who in here would make the best wrestler?

JS: Probably my man, Juan Cruz. He's my boy [laughs]. But there's a lot of guys in here you could talk about when it comes to Mexican wrestling. Juan Cruz, though.

Juan Cruz: No, man, I can't cook (he's answering a question from a half-hour ago!).

DB: OK, another thing about Mexican pop culture. Andres Nocioni, who is from Argentina and used to play for the Bulls, said his favorite TV character is the Chapulin Colorado. This show is actually produced in your country. What's the story on this guy with the deelie bobs on his head?

JS: Yeah, it's an old show. It's been on TV for, like, 20 years in Mexico. It's very funny, but it's for kids. You can laugh along with the Chapulin. It's for a child, but it's good if you're an adult and you can laugh at it.

DB: Brian Bannister once said that all the guys in the dugout would bet their next paycheck that the first pitch you throw in an appearance is a strike. What would you bet a paycheck on?

JS: The same thing [laughs].

DB: You don't feel you're giving something away?

JS: Mmm, nah. I just throw my pitches and don't worry about it. Whether it's for a paycheck, it doesn't really matter. I'm just confident.

DB: I saw a stat where you led all major league relievers in 1-2-3 innings last season, with 36, I think. Why are you so boring out there?

JS: [Laughs]. Well, it's good to be 1-2-3. It's not all that interesting sometimes for some people but it's good for me staying 1-2-3. I kind of like it. It's good for my arm [laughs].

DB: I saw a story in spring training where Zack Greinke said you made it a point to stay in the dugout and watch Randy Johnson pitch. Can you explain why you were so curious?

JS: Randy Johnson's a big baseball player and I never had seen him pitch in a game, so I waited to walk to the bullpen to watch him pitch for an inning, to see how he looked on the mound.

DB: Your eyes just got big when recalling it. Was it impressive?

JS: Yeah, yeah. He's impressive. He's a tall guy. I'm glad I saw him pitch.

DB: Do they have people that tall in Mexico?

JS: Yeah, we've got people that tall in Mexico.

DB: And yet, you've never had much of a national basketball team.

JS: Well, I don't know much about basketball, but I know we got big people, too.

DB: Are you excited that your braces are coming off?

JS: What a question! What is that, man? I mean, I'm just, I don't really care about it [laughs]. I'm just going to get them off and that's it.

(Juan Cruz laughing again)

DB: When people ask you about that, is it embarrassing? I didn't mean to be insulting.

JS: No, no. It's fine. I don't feel nothing about them. I just don't care about my braces. They'll take 'em off and that's it.

DB: OK. With all the dentists in your family, how come it took this long for someone to figure out that you needed 'em?

JS: No, no [laughs]. My brother, I remember, when he graduated from dental school, I said, "I'm going to have you put the braces on," and that's what I did.

DB: Is it true that if you weren't playing baseball, you'd be a dentist, too?

JS: Probably, probably. Or a math teacher.

DB: Do you have to worry about your pitches being straighter now that your teeth will be straighter?

JS: No, no [laughs]. I don't think I have to worry about that.

Juan Cruz: I mean, are you serious?

DB: No, not really.

Juan Cruz: OK! That's what I thought. I was gonna say!

DB: Two of your coaches in the WBC were Fernando Valenzuela and Ted Higuera. Were you able to learn anything from these guys, or were you just in awe of having these legendary guys around?

JS: They didn't talk too much about mechanics, or anything, because many of the guys who played on the Mexican team have a lot of time in the big leagues. But they talked about trust and confidence and all of that stuff, so we learned some of that from them. Very valuable, it always is, to regard those kind of guys.

DB: What sums up baseball to you?

JS: Baseball? It's my life. That's it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-17-2009, 08:38 AM
That's an odd interview, but entertaining at least.

jidar
04-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Hey have ya heard? Soria is from Mexico!
That means he's Mexican, like someone from Mexico would be!
Does he like Tacos? I heard Mexicans like Tacos.
Hey guys, you knew Soria was Mexican right?
hey dudes come check out this guy from Mexico being Mexican! He likes Tacos and Mexican wrestling!

argh worst interview ever.

Buck
04-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Wait, Soria was on the Padres?

Damnit. We could have used him!

ziggysocki
04-17-2009, 08:52 AM
god that interview was freaking awful. Its embarrassing as a white guy that a white interviewer would ask so many stupid ass questions strictly based on the fact that he is from Mexico. That guy David Brown is a dumbfuck

Sure-Oz
04-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Stupid interview, but Soria rules

Sure-Oz
04-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Wait, Soria was on the Padres?

Damnit. We could have used him!

Believe he was the 2nd pick in the rule 5 draft behind Josh Hamilton or maybe the 3rd pick i can't remember. Cubs sold hamilton to the reds, dumbasses

Buck
04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Believe he was the 2nd pick in the rule 5 draft behind Josh Hamilton or maybe the 3rd pick i can't remember. Cubs sold hamilton to the reds, dumbasses

And he's stayed in the Majors this whole time?

Damn. Good for him.

The Padres got this guy named Everth Cabrera in the Rule 5 Draft this year who never played above A Ball. Hes a Short Stop, with a gun.

They are already predicting he'll be the Padres shortstop for the next 10 years. I hope that they keep him up on the Major League Roster so we don't have to give him back to the Rockies.

Blindside58
04-17-2009, 09:07 AM
DB: So, did you come close to drowning when you swam across the river?
JC: (Laughing in back ground)
JS: No Gringo, I used your Mom as a flotation device!
JC: (In background) Daaaaammmmmm!

shitgoose
04-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Interview Fail

Reaper16
04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I would have been pissed if I were Soria.

Nzoner
04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking WTF was this guy thinking when reading his interview.

thebrad84
04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Is that an actual interview from someone in the media? Who the hell is David Brown? I'm assuming Brown went to college and got a degree in journalism, no? Did he really ask Soria if he ate at Taco Bell in a professional interview? (Because he's Mexican and all Mexican's hate TB, hahaha get it!)

Then he manages to stoop even lower and makes fun of him for wearing braces, as an adult! Hahahaha. Who wears braces as an adult? Better make sure I bring that up in the interview!

Absolutely pathetic excuse of an interviewer right there.

Fairplay
04-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Many dumb questions. WTF

Kyle DeLexus
04-17-2009, 09:44 AM
My guess is he knows that Soria is a fun guy and would have fun with this kind of interview. It's still unprofessional and a terrible interview.

Kyle DeLexus
04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Is that an actual interview from someone in the media? Who the hell is David Brown? I'm assuming Brown went to college and got a degree in journalism, no? Did he really ask Soria if he ate at Taco Bell in a professional interview? (Because he's Mexican and all Mexican's hate TB, hahaha get it!)

Then he manages to stoop even lower and makes fun of him for wearing braces, as an adult! Hahahaha. Who wears braces as an adult? Better make sure I bring that up in the interview!

Come on now JC dug the Taco Bell question. It's probably something they joke about all the time :)

Sure-Oz
04-17-2009, 09:45 AM
And he's stayed in the Majors this whole time?

Damn. Good for him.

The Padres got this guy named Everth Cabrera in the Rule 5 Draft this year who never played above A Ball. Hes a Short Stop, with a gun.

They are already predicting he'll be the Padres shortstop for the next 10 years. I hope that they keep him up on the Major League Roster so we don't have to give him back to the Rockies.

Who Soria or Hamilton?!

Hope that SS pans out for you better than Greene did

WoodDraw
04-17-2009, 09:54 AM

No shit, this was embarrassing. Everyone should send him an email for being a dumbass, and his editor one for publishing it instead of firing him.

thebrad84
04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Come on now JC dug the Taco Bell question. It's probably something they joke about all the time :)

Alright, I'll give you that one. Perhaps Brown was simply just alluding to the fact that Taco Bell is a horrible excuse for Mexican food. However, I'm not sure how this can be explained:

JS: Yeah, yeah. He's impressive. He's a tall guy. I'm glad I saw him pitch.

DB: Do they have people that tall in Mexico?

JS: Yeah, we've got people that tall in Mexico.

DB: And yet, you've never had much of a national basketball team.

JS: Well, I don't know much about basketball, but I know we got big people, too.

That is, at the very least, an incredibly unprofessional question to ask someone who is Mexican and is borderline racist right there.

Demonpenz
04-17-2009, 10:34 AM
It reminds me when someone asked sam cassell how does it feel to be an Alien. That interview was just rude, especially for the amount of joy we get from soria pitching. Now I would be all for it if it was like Elvis Grbac. So elvis do you know you are the first 6 foot tall vagina?

alnorth
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
That is one of the worst interviews I have ever read. I usually dont get upset at the media very easily, but this guy really should be ashamed of this pathetic performance.

I'm kind of impressed that Soria had the class to put up with this.

eazyb81
04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Terrible interview. I can't believe those are the questions that guy came up with.

What a douche. Soria should have punched him in his teeth so that guy would have to get braces.

MoreLemonPledge
04-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Wow. That's borderline racist. Is that how all of his interviews go?

kchero
04-17-2009, 02:21 PM
The sad thing is that this "journalist" got paid to ask questions like that. No wonder some athletes get annoyed with the media.

Pitt Gorilla
04-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Embarrassingly bad interview.