PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs stay flexible about draft

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Chiefs stay flexible about draft (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1146869.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Scott Pioli comes from a culture where draft trades are not only the rule but also the expectation, so it goes without saying that as the new Chiefs general manager, he will listen to any and all offers from rival teams.

That’s true whether it comes to the Chiefs’ top pick, third overall, or veterans like Tony Gonzalez, Brian Waters or Larry Johnson. But Pioli said the Chiefs wouldn’t try to move any player merely because he asked out.

“The decisions are made by the Kansas City Chiefs as to whether players are here or not,” Pioli said. “It’s not up to the players. The players are under contract. A player under contract doesn’t make decisions as to whether or not he’s going to be here.”

Since the end of last season, Waters and Johnson have asked to be traded or released, and Gonzalez has sent out mixed signals as to his desire. Johnson’s agent recently indicated Johnson had a change of heart and wanted to stay with the Chiefs.

When Pioli was New England’s director of personnel, the Patriots weren’t averse to trading or releasing a disgruntled veteran. They parted with wide receiver Deion Branch and safety Lawyer Milloy after contract or other issues.

The Patriots were also busy draft-day traders, often moving down in or out of a given round to collect more picks. New England entered last year’s draft with the seventh overall pick but wound up choosing 10th after a trade with New Orleans that also brought the Patriots an extra third-round pick.

“If there’s an opportunity to make a trade, we’ll listen,” Pioli said. “You have to take your time, be patient, not be reactive and think things through to make the best decision. It (can’t be) the best decision just at that second but long term.

“I don’t know if we want someone to make us an offer. Here’s what I know: When it’s our turn to pick, whenever that is, we’re going to know who we’re picking and we’re going to be ready. No matter when your turn comes, you’d better be ready to pick. Be ready to make the pick and then see if there’s another opportunity. Sometimes the opportunity is good, and sometimes it’s not. If it’s not, if it’s not of value or you don’t think it’s of value, you make the pick.”

The Chiefs don’t have a second-round pick after trading it to the Patriots in the trade that brought quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel. They recently met with several draft prospects, including linebackers Connor Barwin, James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga, who figured to be drafted between the Chiefs’ third overall pick and their next selection in the third round.

“That’s the important part of the draft,” Pioli said. “Preparation is the key. We don’t know where we’re picking. As we sit here today we’re picking at No. 3. We have no idea if that’s where we’re going to pick. It wouldn’t be prudent for us to have it locked in our heads that the only opportunity we’re going to have is at three. Someone might come to us with what is a tremendous opportunity.

“We don’t know what players are going to slide. Right now, we’re not picking again until the second day of the draft. That may be the case, and it may not be the case. So after we make that first pick, don’t grab your pizza and go home for the night. You never know. We may move up from the third round to the second round.

“That’s the beauty of the draft. There are so many opportunities to do so many different things.”

The Chiefs hired Pioli from the Patriots in large part because of their success in the draft. New England picked about as well as any team in their nine drafts with Pioli and it’s difficult to picture Pioli and new coach Todd Haley succeeding with the Chiefs if they don’t draft consistently well in Kansas City.

“I get an adrenaline rush,” Pioli said. “I don’t think I’ll have trouble sleeping based on the hours we’re putting in. I’ll probably wake up early like I do every year and wander around the house a little bit aimlessly.

“Once you wake up that morning, it’s like Christmas morning. You can’t fall back asleep because you know there’s something waiting for you. It’s a really exciting time because this is what we do. This is a huge opportunity to build our football team.”

pr_capone
04-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Chiefs stay flexible about draft (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1146869.html)
“The decisions are made by the Kansas City Chiefs as to whether players are here or not,” Pioli said. “It’s not up to the players. The players are under contract. A player under contract doesn’t make decisions as to whether or not he’s going to be here.”

So much for the Will Franklin asked to be released theory.