PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with Haley 4/18

Coogs
04-18-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/04/18/qa_with_todd_haley__418/

Q&A with TODD HALEY - 4/18
Apr 18, 2009, 1:00:02 PM

Q: How did it go today and what did you see today that you didn’t see yesterday?

TODD HALEY: “We were indoors, so today was a whole new deal practicing on the turf. I thought it was a little better than yesterday. Once you get that first day under your belt everyone’s learning a lot about themselves: the equipment guys, the trainers, everybody. I thought it was a little more efficient and that was the reason I wanted to get yesterday’s (practice) out of the way without (media present).”

Q: You had a couple of guys not here. Is that just part of the deal and you just hope everybody shows up?

HALEY: “Again, these are all voluntary deals and to me to have 60 plus players out there is a good sign of guys who want to be here and want to learn how to practice and play and be a good team.”

Q: Do you feel good from what you see of the guys out there as far as desire?

HALEY: “Yeah, like I said, I thought today was a better practice overall. Anytime you get guys who on their own time are choosing to be here I think it’s good.”

Q: What do you see from the veterans you brought in and what they can bring to the table this time of year?

HALEY: “The best example I can give is Zach Thomas who has been out on the street for three months whenever Dallas’ season ended. He was on his own, didn’t know exactly where he was going to be, didn’t know exactly what he was going to be doing. We signed the guy; he chose to fly on Easter in order to get in here the night before to be in the first group of workouts on Monday. He came in here from doing a different program from what he’s been doing. On the third day he was here we had a pretty good run which is a timed run and he ran three different times, won two of them and on the third one he made his time and was up towards the front.

“That’s what a true pro does. He knows how to take care of his body, to be in shape, what it takes and that’s why a guy like that survives in the league as long as he has when nobody thought he would. He was taken in the fifth round. People didn’t think he was big enough or fast enough to get the job done. All he’s done is proven people wrong from the start by the way he prepares. He understands how important this part of the year is. Bobby Engram understands how important this part of the year is.

“Now, those guys need to be able to play and they’re competing for jobs. But, at the same, if some of these young guys can see an example like that of someone who understands what it takes to win in this league and can play at a high level I think it’s a big help to us.”

Q: You’ve talked a lot about what you like about Matt Cassel, but now that you’ve been around him for a while what do you see from him physically?

HALEY: “I saw him up close in December of last year at New England and it wasn’t pretty from my vantage point. He’s big, he’s athletic and he can throw the football. I think with some of the other characteristics that he has it will give him a chance to be a good quarterback.”

Q: Does it seem hard to believe that someone who didn’t start in college and until recently in the pros has been able to maintain his concentration and focus?

HALEY: “I think he probably has some of those characteristics that you’re looking for, some of the same things that have allowed him to succeed in a spot that a lot of guys maybe would have packed it in. Where he didn’t, I think, is just a sign of some of the characteristics he has: that ability to keep working and keep preparing each week as if he were playing and to learn from a pretty good player in front of him and the coaches. I think it’s just a great testament and a little bit of what Scott (Pioli) talked about. The guy’s developed a little differently. He was obviously a good baseball player, so he was pretty developed as an athlete, I’ve got to believe. He just got into a situation where there were probably some pretty good players in front of him.”

Q: And, it was also the fact that he wants to play football…

HALEY: “I think he’s a smart guy who probably could be doing a lot of things. He loves the game, it’s clear to me. You don’t have to watch him for very long out there to realize that.”

Q: Being a quarterback often means being the spokesperson for the team. Do you have any doubts he’s going to do a good job with that?

HALEY: “I hope he does a better job of being a quarterback than a spokesperson. We’ll see, I guess. I’ve never seen him in that position.”

bishop_74
04-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Q: You’ve talked a lot about what you like about Matt Cassel, but now that you’ve been around him for a while what do you see from him physically?

HALEY: “I saw him up close in December of last year at New England and it wasn’t pretty from my vantage point. He’s big, he’s athletic and he can throw the football. I think with some of the other characteristics that he has it will give him a chance to be a good quarterback.”

WTF does that mean?

Coogs
04-18-2009, 02:36 PM
WTF does that mean?

I think it means NE and Cassel kicked the crap out of Haley and his Cards.

SBK
04-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't even read coach and GM interviews anymore, no point because NOTHING newsworthy gets out.

Mr.Smartass2U
04-18-2009, 02:46 PM
I think it means NE and Cassel kicked the crap out of Haley and his Cards.

Yeah that sounded weird at first

FD
04-18-2009, 02:51 PM
WTF does that mean?

Cassel threw for 345 yds and 3 tds.

In a blizzard.

Coogs
04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't even read coach and GM interviews anymore, no point because NOTHING newsworthy gets out.

Just post in them huh?

I still read them. And if nobody else does, I will probably still post them. It is your choice to click on the link or not. Me, I'm too much of a die hard Chief to not read.

2bikemike
04-18-2009, 03:02 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/04/18/qa_with_todd_haley__418/

Q&A with TODD HALEY - 4/18
Apr 18, 2009, 1:00:02 PM

Q: You had a couple of guys not here. Is that just part of the deal and you just hope everybody shows up?

HALEY: “Again, these are all voluntary deals and to me to have 60 plus players out there is a good sign of guys who want to be here and want to learn how to practice and play and be a good team.”

I wonder how detrimental those comments are to getting Waters and TG on board with the program. Personally I don't want to lose either of those guys and wish they would buy into this program.

Last Year when Tony asked to be traded I kind of hoped he would go to a team who would make it to the big dance. But after the season he had last year I want him to stay.

mlyonsd
04-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I still read them. And if nobody else does, I will probably still post them. It is your choice to click on the link or not. Me, I too much of a die hard Chief to not read.

Especially this time of year I read them. Not a lot is said but the broken down argument of who we should draft gets tedious.

"I like taking Curry at #3".

"Moving Albert to RT and taking a LT makes more sense".

"You're an idiot".

"No, you're the idiot".

"You suck".

"You suck more".

Threads like this might not have a lot of news but at least we're hearing from those that make the decisions.

ILChief
04-18-2009, 03:15 PM

Better than coaches and GMs that love to hear themselves talk and win 6 games in 2 years.

mlyonsd
04-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I wonder how detrimental those comments are to getting Waters and TG on board with the program. Personally I don't want to lose either of those guys and wish they would buy into this program.

Last Year when Tony asked to be traded I kind of hoped he would go to a team who would make it to the big dance. But after the season he had last year I want him to stay.

To me I see them as separate issues.

TG is getting long in the tooth and deserves a chance to win a ring because I'm doubting he has enough time left to do it here. For him I understand his side.

Waters just sounds like a whiney bitch to me. I'd have respected him more if he would have showed up to the mini camp. I'd have no problem letting him go.

TRR
04-18-2009, 03:27 PM
It's tough not to root for a guy like Matt Cassel. I'm pulling for him to turn into a star.

A week or so ago, I really was upset at the thought that we may lose or trade Brian Waters and Tony Gonzalez away. But now, I am sold on the players that are working to build this thing...to change the losing culture in Kansas City. If Waters and Gonzalez don't want to be a part of that, then thank you for the time here, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Coogs
04-18-2009, 03:28 PM
He understands how important this part of the year is. Bobby Engram understands how important this part of the year is.

“Now, those guys need to be able to play and they’re competing for jobs. But, at the same, if some of these young guys can see an example like that of someone who understands what it takes to win in this league and can play at a high level I think it’s a big help to us.”

I kind of wondered if this was a bit of a jab at TG and Waters as well. I realize TG usually brings it come the fall, but he has never won a playoff game in his whole career. Could this be why?

Coogs
04-18-2009, 03:29 PM
It's tough not to root for a guy like Matt Cassel. I'm pulling for him to turn into a star.

A week or so ago, I really was upset at the thought that we may lose or trade Brian Waters and Tony Gonzalez away. But now, I am sold on the players that are working to build this thing...to change the losing culture in Kansas City. If Waters and Gonzalez don't want to be a part of that, then thank you for the time here, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Totally agree.

chuxtrux
04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I wish one person would ask Haley which players besides the new guys have impressed him.

Rigodan
04-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I kind of wondered if this was a bit of a jab at TG and Waters as well. I realize TG usually brings it come the fall, but he has never won a playoff game in his whole career. Could this be why?

A more likely culprit is our quaterback play. Tony is only a TIGHT END. If you're putting the responsibility for the success of a franchise on a TE, it's not going to end well.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Totally agree.

Not me. We're a better team with them than without them !

LaChapelle
04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Thomas and Engram seem to have been brought in more for their work ethic. They're getting the praise, setting the tone or new culture. None of the already here guys get any props. Why should they 6-32.

Coogs
04-18-2009, 03:39 PM
A more likely culprit is our quaterback play. Tony is only a TIGHT END. If you're putting the responsibility for the success of a franchise on a TE, it's going to end well.

I think you missed my point. TG, IMO, while been somewhat of a team player, has never been totally committed to the Chiefs. And his absence could send the wrong message to the rest of the team. It is all about chemistry.

And yes, I know TG brings it every Sunday. But what the coaches and the new players are trying to convey right now is "this is the time of year when TEAMS are made".

Coogs
04-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Not me. We're a better team with them than without them !

TG is a great player, Waters better than most at his position. TEAM is what winning championships is all about. While I really love watching TG play, I want to see the Chiefs succeed far more than I want to see TG succeed.

2bikemike
04-18-2009, 03:46 PM
To me I see them as separate issues.

TG is getting long in the tooth and deserves a chance to win a ring because I'm doubting he has enough time left to do it here. For him I understand his side.

Waters just sounds like a whiney bitch to me. I'd have respected him more if he would have showed up to the mini camp. I'd have no problem letting him go.

Tony is getting up there in age. Maybe last year was just a chip on his shoulder and a way to showcase his self for a possible trade this year. But I still think he has enough game and is fit enough to last a few more years so IMHO it comes down to hanging on to see us turn that corner. There are no guarantees he will go to a competitive team, Many a perceived contenders before opening day flop through out the season.

As far as Waters. I too feel like he is being a Whiny Bitch. With him leaving would just create another need in our already long list of needs. I would rather solve the need problem with a known quantity and just get him in the fold until we can solve the other needs. I suppose thats another reason to keep Tony as well.

ncCHIEFfan
04-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Especially this time of year I read them. Not a lot is said but the broken down argument of who we should draft gets tedious.

"You're an idiot".

"No, you're the idiot".

"You suck".

"You suck more".

Threads like this might not have a lot of news but at least we're hearing from those that make the decisions.

I am with ya BIG DAWG

ncCHIEFfan
04-18-2009, 03:49 PM

This!:clap:

CoMoChief
04-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I think you missed my point. TG, IMO, while been somewhat of a team player, has never been totally committed to the Chiefs. And his absence could send the wrong message to the rest of the team. It is all about chemistry.

And yes, I know TG brings it every Sunday. But what the coaches and the new players are trying to convey right now is "this is the time of year when TEAMS are made".

This is such a retarded comment. Tony G works, practices, prepares harder than probably anyone on the team.

People and media especially get too tied up in these "VOLUNTARY" workouts. Most superstars in the league have personal trainers themselves and work out around the clock. Tony G isn't someone thats gonna take off a few months and just do nothing. He's a guy that constantly works out and prepares his 33 yr old body for the upcoming season.

milkman
04-18-2009, 04:46 PM
This is such a retarded comment. Tony G works, practices, prepares harder than probably anyone on the team.

People and media especially get too tied up in these "VOLUNTARY" workouts. Most superstars in the league have personal trainers themselves and work out around the clock. Tony G isn't someone thats gonna take off a few months and just do nothing. He's a guy that constantly works out and prepares his 33 yr old body for the upcoming season.

You are a dumb fuck.

Crush
04-18-2009, 04:52 PM
While Tony "prepares his 33 yr old body for the upcoming season," I really hope that he takes some time out of his regiment in order to whine and bitch about being traded.

BryanBusby
04-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Considering how many games Tony has missed over his career, I'm not going to complain about how he prepares for the upcoming season.

MMXcalibur
04-18-2009, 05:25 PM
“I saw him up close in December of last year at New England and it wasn’t pretty from my vantage point.

Haha, yeah...it certainly doesn't sound good out of context.

Cormac
04-18-2009, 05:58 PM
You are a dumb ****.

I'm another dumb ****.

Sully
04-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Run into a mild case of bronchitis tree!!!

"You're an idiot".

"No, you're the idiot".

"You suck".

"You suck more".