Reaper16
04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Wylde

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Zakk

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 09:00 PM
I've posted all of these before. Dude is the shit.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rYMupc564zE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rYMupc564zE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Whatever

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Whatever

He's no Kip Winger that's for sure LOL. You're such a downer. Do you ever say anything positive? Do you conduct your real life the way you act here? If so, you must be a real treat.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:19 PM
He's no Kip Winger that's for sure LOL. You're such a downer. Do you ever say anything positive? Do you conduct your real life the way you act here? If so, you must be a real treat.

ROFL

I just don't think Zakk Wylde is anything special as a guitarist (or a person).

He's far from "the shit".

George Lynch
Gary Moore
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Chris Broderick
Doug Aldrich

THOSE guys are "the shit". Zakk can't sing, he repeatedly plays the same penatonic riffs over and over and over again, his EMG tone sucks ass and he can't write a song to save his life.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Over-Head
04-18-2009, 09:25 PM
ROFL

Were you dropped repeatedly on your head as a child? :hmmm:

Over-Head
Wylde
I'm drunk, pizz off :D

Reaper16
ROFL

George Lynch
Gary Moore
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Chris Broderick
Doug Aldrich

THOSE guys are "the shit". Zakk can't sing, he repeatedly plays the same penatonic riffs over and over and over again, his EMG tone sucks ass and he can't write a song to save his life.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I do like a BLS song here and there, though.

There are a lot of popular guitarists that are massively overrated. People think that Dimebag was like OMG teh best evar! but he's pretty 'meh.'

DaneMcCloud
Were you dropped repeatedly on your head as a child? :hmmm:

No, but clearly you were

Over-Head
Zakk
What I said to Reaper :D

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm drunk, pizz off :D

You're not stoned yet?

Aren't you a Newfi?

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:28 PM

There are a lot of popular guitarists that are massively overrated. People think that Dimebag was like OMG teh best evar! but he's pretty 'meh.'

Have you seen Broderick with Megadeth? He's fucking awesome.

I hope he creates memorable solos on the new album, much like Marty Friedman did during his time.

He's still one of my all-time favs. He's so "outside" yet he still shreds.

If he had gotten the Ozzy gig back in 1987, I think his work would have rivaled or surpassed Rhodes work with Ozzy.

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 09:28 PM
ROFL

George Lynch
Gary Moore
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Chris Broderick
Doug Aldrich

Thanks for your opinion. However, this thread is about Zakk Wylde. I'm sorry he doesn't fall in line with what YOU like. I like those guys you mentioned, but it's not really the same animal. This thread was started with a clip of a guy shredding, and when it comes to shredding, yes, Zakk wylde is among the best, and is considered to be so, by many. He never sings a note in either of these clips, and I don't really think anyone would post a video of him singing, and say,"Nuff Said"

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 09:30 PM

Dimebag was a guitar god. JMO

"but he's pretty 'meh" JYO

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your opinion. However, this thread is about Zakk Wylde. I'm sorry he doesn't fall in line with what YOU like. I like those guys you mentioned, but it's not really the same animal. This thread was started with a clip of a guy shredding, and when it comes to shredding, yes, Zakk wylde is among the best, and is considered to be so, by many. He never sings a note in either of these clips, and I don't really think anyone would post a video of him singing, and say,"Nuff Said"

Technically and tastefully speaking, Jake fucking shreds him. There are many people that can play circles around him and for my money, he's average at best.

AND, he's a weird fucking dude.

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Yeah, but my opinion with respect to metal is, like, the best on this whole board.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Dime is and was a legend.

Most of the metal and nu-metal guitarists (and bands) wouldn't exist without him. His "scooped" tone, stance and songwriting ushered in a new era of metal

He is sorely missed. And about 10,000 times as influential as Jeff.

Uh, I mean Zakk. ROFL

chiefs1111
04-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Have you seen Broderick with Megadeth? He's fucking awesome.

I hope he creates memorable solos on the new album, much like Marty Friedman did during his time.

He's still one of my all-time favs. He's so "outside" yet he still shreds.

If he had gotten the Ozzy gig back in 1987, I think his work would have rivaled or surpassed Rhodes work with Ozzy.

Really looking forward to the new Megadeth album. Im sure it will be awesome

Over-Head
04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
George Lynch- Great shread master
Gary Moore- At least you do have some taste Dane.
Marty Friedman- Before Megadeth he was who???
Paul Gilbert - And who else played for Mr Big?
Chris Broderick- Again , Dave Mustain makes an unknown famous.
Doug Aldrich- Well since Adrian Vandenburg said no to the reunion, poor David had to have someone didn't he?

chiefs1111
04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I like Zakk Wylde but I like Jeff Loomis from Nevermore better

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 09:40 PM

He was in Cacophony with Jason Becker. That's fairly significant. But another answer could be 'Who cares?' Rust in Peace is by far the best album by any musician mentioned in this thread.

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Technically and tastefully speaking, Jake ****ing shreds him. There are many people that can play circles around him and for my money, he's average at best.

AND, he's a weird ****ing dude.

He is a weird bastard. I don't want to go back, and forth with pure hard headed opinion. Jake shreds unmercifully. No doubt but there's really not anything that these guys can't play. I like a lot of Wylde's stuff, and a lot of it, I can't really even listen too, and the same holds true for Jake's stuff. You being alittle older than me, Jake's sound probably sounds better to your ears. I guess the world would suck if everybody liked the same things, and agreed about everything. I saw BLS a couple years back in West Palm Beach, and the energy, and performance was through the roof. I like some of Zakk's slower stuff too. Check this out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbED78e2dh4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbED78e2dh4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Dime is and was a legend.

Most of the metal and nu-metal guitarists (and bands) wouldn't exist without him. His "scooped" tone, stance and songwriting ushered in a new era of metal

He is sorely missed. And about 10,000 times as influential as Jeff.

Uh, I mean Zakk. ROFL
Dime's immense influence is undeniable. And indeed, he helped to usher in a sad, flacid era in metal and hard rock.

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but my opinion with respect to metal is, like, the best on this whole board.
:D

chiefs1111
04-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen has some good stuff...

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:50 PM
He is a weird bastard. I don't want to go back, and forth with pure hard headed opinion. Jake shreds unmercifully. No doubt but there's really not anything that these guys can't play. I like a lot of Wylde's stuff, and a lot of it, I can't really even listen too, and the same holds true for Jake's stuff. You being alittle older than me, Jake's sound probably sounds better to your ears. I guess the world would suck if everybody liked the same things, and agreed about everything. I saw BLS a couple years back in West Palm Beach, and the energy, and performance was through the roof. I like some of Zakk's slower stuff too. Check this out.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbED78e2dh4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Dude, I appreciate your opinion and I'm happy that you've found music that you like.

You don't know much about me and I'll for the most part, keep it that way. But let's just say that this goes beyond age and "hearing" and is more about technique, tone, chops and taste.

And I know Zakk, having hung out with him on several occasions. We even share the same guitar tech.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 09:50 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/asUQBl1DTDA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/asUQBl1DTDA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:52 PM
George Lynch- Great shread master
Gary Moore- At least you do have some taste Dane.
Paul Gilbert - And who else played for Mr Big?
Chris Broderick- Again , Dave Mustain makes an unknown famous.
Doug Aldrich- Well since Adrian Vandenburg said no to the reunion, poor David had to have someone didn't he?

Brough, Doug absolutely shreds Vandenberg. Check out his solo instrumental work or his work with Lion. Or just go see Whitesnake.

As for Marty, he's a very young cat as well. He was up for the Ozzy gig in 1987, just like Zakk (and several others). He spent several weeks writing and rehearsing but the chemistry wasn't there.

Marty's too cerebral for Ozzy.

Oh, if you haven't heard Paul's solo stuff or seen him in concert, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. He's as technical as Vai or Satriani or Yngwie or Petrucci, but he has a sense of humor in his playing and his songs.

He's fucking awesome.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 09:55 PM

I haven't had a chance to listen to the new Mastodon release. What's your take?

I know they hired Brendan & Nick - that's a weird choice for a metal band.

Does it work?

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Does it work?

It's pretty good. I don't understand all the hype though.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK0rvReE-4c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK0rvReE-4c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Does it work?
Its really, really good for a major label metal album. Its Mastodon's most progressive effort of all their work yet somehow manages to feature what is easily their most accessible vocal performance to date. Its got catchyness, but more importantly (for me, anyway) it has complexity.

Its probably my 3rd favorite album of the year so far, next to Devin Townsend Project's "Ki" and Kalisia's "Cybion."

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:04 PM

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK0rvReE-4c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

LMAO

He's such a fat fuck!

He walks around the NAMM show in leather pants and a feather boa.

Talk about a REAL douche!

ROFL

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
LMAO

He's such a fat ****!

He walks around the NAMM show in leather pants and a feather boa.

Talk about a REAL douche!

ROFL

Yea, he has always been like that...but he can fucking rip. Though after about his 4th album he started sounding too much the same

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Its really, really good for a major label metal album. Its Mastodon's most progressive effort of all their work yet somehow manages to feature what is easily their most accessible vocal performance to date. Its got catchyness, but more importantly (for me, anyway) it has complexity.

Its probably my 3rd favorite album of the year so far, next to Devin Townsend Project's "Ki" and Kalisia's "Cybion."

Cool, thanks! I'll check it out

Devon's a great guitarist but I can't get past his vocals. You're more of a true metal guy so it's probably not as big of an issue. But I'll check it out as well.

Thanks again!

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Yea, he has always been like that...but he can fucking rip. Though after about his 4th album he started sounding too much the same

I thought he started repeating himself after the second album.

He's a phenomenal guitarist technically speaking, but he can't write a song to save his life and he has awful choices in singers.

He's an egomaniac to the Nth degree. It's to his detriment.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
This is MR. Technical......you will find no other who is more tehcnical...not even Randy Rhoads, who btw was my fucking idol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U-zjnVmuTzs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U-zjnVmuTzs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

beach tribe
Dude, I appreciate your opinion and I'm happy that you've found music that you like.

You don't know much about me and I'll for the most part, keep it that way. But let's just say that this goes beyond age and "hearing" and is more about technique, tone, chops and taste.

And I know Zakk, having hung out with him on several occasions. We even share the same guitar tech.

I know you're connected to the biz. Your age does affect your "taste"(opinion) in technique, tone, and level of chops. It's subjective. The younger generations don't really dig megadeth, and such. Players of this caliber can only be separated by personal preference. I'm sure Wylde could play anything, anyone on the face of the earth can play. Along with every name mentioned on this list can. Hell, I know guys who smoke pot all day, and can play anything in the world.

beach tribe
This is MR. Technical......you will find no other who is more tehcnical...not even Randy Rhoads, who btw was my ****ing idol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U-zjnVmuTzs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U-zjnVmuTzs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's amazing stuff.

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I thought he started repeating himself after the second album.

He's a phenomenal guitarist technically speaking, but he can't write a song to save his life and he has awful choices in singers.

He's an egomaniac to the Nth degree. It's to his detriment.
The "Unleash the focking fury!" audio clip is infamous.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:11 PM
I know you're connected to the biz. Your age does affect your "taste"(opinion) in technique, tone, and level of chops. It's subjective.

Yes and no. Let's just say I'm more involved than just connected and that my opinion is based on experience. Both behind the console and behind the guitar.

The younger generations don't really dig megadeth, and such. Players of this caliber can only be separated by personal preference.

No. Clearly, you don't play guitar. That's like saying that Eric Clapton could play like EVH or Rhodes if he so desired. That's totally untrue. It's a completely different way of thinking and expressing yourself.

I'm sure Wylde could play anything, anyone on the face of the earth can play. Along with every name mentioned on this list can.

Wrong again. And he'll tell you.

Hell, I know guys who smoke pot all day, and can play anything in the world.

I don't buy that for one second.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
That's amazing stuff.

Satch is fucking amazing at what he does. One of my most favorite. I like Wylde but I don't think he can hold a candle to Satch or Lynch for that matter. Namely because all I ever see from Wylde is a bunch of pentatonic stuff and basic hammer-on runs. Though he is amazing at making it sound good.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
That's amazing stuff.

Joe's my favorite all around guitarist, without a doubt.

But, he shakes his head at some of the things that Paul does.

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 10:13 PM
The younger generations don't really dig megadeth, and such.
The younger generations are shitbirds.

chiefs1111
04-18-2009, 10:16 PM
The younger generations are shitbirds.

Yeah most kids today think metal is bands like slipknot....

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah most kids today think metal is bands like slipknot....
:(

chiefs1111
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
:(

Yeah I know. Even worse i heard a kid not too long ago refer to Linking Park as metal,that made me want to :Lin:

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
This is Satch at his finest......fucking just getting it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EtkOSsHedzw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EtkOSsHedzw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:25 PM
This is Satch at his finest......fucking just getting it...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EtkOSsHedzw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

CHICKENFOOT!

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:25 PM
CHICKENFOOT!

Chickenfoot? What is I am missing?

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:30 PM
ROFL

George Lynch
Gary Moore
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Chris Broderick
Doug Aldrich

Sorry, you left out the Godfathers.....Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Rhoads and Van Halen....

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Chickenfoot? What is I am missing?

Google my friend, Google

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry, you left out the Godfathers.....Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Rhoads and Van Halen....

I was referring to the living

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:34 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fC71fFdCsbk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fC71fFdCsbk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Google my friend, Google

Afraid you are going to have to explain....

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Afraid you are going to have to explain....

Google the word: Chickenfoot

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Google the word: Chickenfoot

I did, I got everything from a Firefox addin to some Myspace stuff. Just tell me what it is ...

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I've got a soft spot for Buckethead:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JsjYqm-2PDk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JsjYqm-2PDk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I did, I got everything from a Firefox addin to some Myspace stuff. Just tell me what it is ...

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
http://www.chickenfoot.us/

ah ok, right on

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:48 PM
ah ok, right on

Okay, now scroll down and listen to the released tracks

beach tribe
04-18-2009, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=DaneMcCloud;5683482]Yes and no. Let's just say I'm more involved than just connected and that my opinion is based on experience. Both behind the console and behind the guitar.

No. Clearly, you don't play guitar. That's like saying that Eric Clapton could play like EVH or Rhodes if he so desired. That's totally untrue. It's a completely different way of thinking and expressing yourself.

Wrong again. And he'll tell you.

I don't buy that for one second.[/QUOTE
I've been playing for about 9 yrs, but that doesn't mean I know much about the tech side of it. I can agree with what you've said here though.

morphius
04-18-2009, 10:51 PM

How much is based on your bias of not really liking the guy? Zakk may not be one of the masters, but the twice I've seen him live with Ozzy he rocked and was fun to watch. I'm not sure there is that much more to it.

QuikSsurfer
04-18-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm sure Wylde could play anything, anyone on the face of the earth can play. Along with every name mentioned on this list can. Hell, I know guys who smoke pot all day, and can play anything in the world.

Wat?

petegz28
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OUrwa3TMSwE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OUrwa3TMSwE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:56 PM
How much is based on your bias of not really liking the guy? Zakk may not be one of the masters, but the twice I've seen him live with Ozzy he rocked and was fun to watch. I'm not sure there is that much more to it.

It's based on the fact that he's never broken any new ground (unlike guys like Dime, Marty, Lynch, VH, Rhodes, Broderick, Malmsteen, etc.), the fact that he can't write a memorable song and that he plays the same scale over and over and over and over and over and over again.

My dislike of him personally is no where near the level of my dislike of him as a guitarist.

Dayze
04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK0rvReE-4c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eK0rvReE-4c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

he's always been amazing; each time I can't get over it.

check out how quickly and effortlessly he swtiches between bridge and neck pick ups. you can barely see it.

unreal.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:58 PM
I've been playing for about 9 yrs

My apologies.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 10:58 PM

check out how quickly and effortlessly he swtiches between bridge and neck pick ups. you can barely see it.

unreal.

It's because his fingers are so fucking fat!

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
It's because his fingers are so ****ing fat!

ROFL

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:00 PM

unreal.

Yngwie is great.....he just got to the point where he lost melodic talent and just ran scales all the damn time.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Yngwie is great.....he just got to the point where he lost melodic talent and just ran scales all the damn time.

Yngwie, like Zakk, can do one thing and do it well.

Unfortunately, neither have been able to ascend and move beyond their debut records.

For me, that's disappointing. For others, that's fun and somewhat comforting and familiar.

To each, his own.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
It's based on the fact that he's never broken any new ground (unlike guys like Dime, Marty, Lynch, VH, Rhodes, Broderick, Malmsteen, etc.), the fact that he can't write a memorable song and that he plays the same scale over and over and over and over and over and over again.

My dislike of him personally is no where near the level of my dislike of him as a guitarist.

If Wylde has a signature anythng it is his vibrato. He has a fairly unique tone as well but you are right, there was nothing ground-breaking with his playing.

Hendrix=Hendrix
Van Halen=Master of taps
Rhoads=Bach-Rock
Lynch=Master of the half step bend and pinch harmonic
Yngwie=Arpeggio God and Sweep Picker Extrodinaire
Satriani=Master technician and re-invented the Lydian mode.

Dayze
04-18-2009, 11:11 PM
It's because his fingers are so ****ing fat!

lol

thos fat fingers chucked a pick at me in 2003 at the G3 tour at the Uptown theater. :D
couldn't believe it; our 3rd row seats...the pick just landed net to my foot. score!

he was great on stage; he always gives great performances. He reminds me of David Lee Roth in the fact they're both showmen; and don't really care about perception - they just enjoy it.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:12 PM
lol

thos fat fingers chucked a pick at me in 2003 at the G3 tour at the Uptown theater. :D
couldn't believe it; our 3rd row seats...the pick just landed net to my foot. score!

he was great on stage; he always gives great performances. He reminds me of David Lee Roth in the fact they're both showmen; and don't really care about perception - they just enjoy it.

He id a good stage presence...not shy by any means. I saw him at the Lone Star...I was right up against the stage in front of him. He also has a SICK keyboard player in Jens Johanson. That did fucking ripped the ivory off the keys.

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 11:15 PM
John 5 puts out my fav instrumental guitar albums these days. Not much live video of him on youtube, but here's a song from his most recent album:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/drgNwPpwtCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/drgNwPpwtCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 11:16 PM
If Wylde has a signature anythng it is his vibrato. He has a fairly unique tone as well but you are right, there was nothing ground-breaking with his playing.

Hendrix=Hendrix
Van Halen=Master of taps
Rhoads=Bach-Rock
Lynch=Master of the half step bend and pinch harmonic
Yngwie=Arpeggio God and Sweep Picker Extrodinaire
Satriani=Master technician and re-invented the Lydian mode.

FWIW, people "in the know" will tell you that George Lynch was "tapping" in the clubs before EVH. Eddie saw George doing it and immediately began copying him. This can be backed up by several well-known people.

George not only influenced Eddie but Jake, Warren DeMartini, Terry Kilgore and many other "famous" guitarists.

He just never got his just due because he was in Dokken instead of Van Halen with DLR.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
John 5 puts out my fav instrumental guitar albums these days. Not much live video of him on youtube, but here's a song from his most recent album:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/drgNwPpwtCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/drgNwPpwtCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I couldn't make it past the first 30 secs......sounded all totally improvised to me. Just not my cup of tea. I like improvisation...Lynch fucking rules at that, but not out of the gate. There has to be some harmonic continuity to it.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 11:18 PM
lol

I'm glad you enjoyed his performance!

In the end, that's really what it's all about.

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I couldn't make it past the first 30 secs......sounded all totally improvised to me. Just not my cup of tea. I like improvisation...Lynch fucking rules at that, but not out of the gate. There has to be some harmonic continuity to it.
You're a failure.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:19 PM
FWIW, people "in the know" will tell you that George Lynch was "tapping" in the clubs before EVH. Eddie saw George doing it and immediately began copying him. This can be backed up by several well-known people.

George not only influenced Eddie but Jake, Warren DeMartini, Terry Kilgore and many other "famous" guitarists.

He just never got his just due because he was in Dokken instead of Van Halen with DLR.

I agree... Lynch just never made it "his thing". Actually Warren DeMaritini fucking rocked. I know Don Dokken used to cry about Lynch and his solos as such.

The thing about Lynch is he is unorthodox in his playing style and very, VERY melodic. And his tone was beyond signature. Beast from the East was his best work, imo. He totally shredded the fuck out of his own stuff live and ever since I heard that album I hate his studio stuff. The only other guitarist I can say I liked their live stuff better than studio was Rhoads.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:21 PM
You're a failure.

Dude he didn't set it up with anything but some unison bends that sounded dry to me....then just started wailing on scales. Little too Steve Vai for me I guess. I like more of a melodic base.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 11:21 PM

It also sounded like it was recorded in the same room as his wife while she was doing soft-core porn movies.

Not a fan. He sounds like a wanker with no sense of melody, dynamics or taste. And his guitar was about 10db too loud in the mix.

Sorry to disagree, Mr. Reaper.

I guess I'm a "failure" as well.

Which isn't so bad.

I LOVE "FAILURE".

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:22 PM
You're a failure.

Okm I listened to a little more.....sounds like Dave Mustane plays Yngwie until he breaks into a bit of a Satchmo run.

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 11:23 PM
It also sounded like it was recorded in the same room as his wife while she was doing soft-core porn movies.

Not a fan. He sounds like a wanker with no sense of melody, dynamics or taste. And his guitar was about 10db too loud in the mix.

Sorry to disagree, Mr. Reaper.

I guess I'm a "failure" as well.

Which isn't so bad.

I LOVE "FAILURE".
Well, I really hated the Chickenfoot tracks. No biggie.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Dude he didn't set it up with anything but some unison bends that sounded dry to me....then just started wailing on scales. Little too Steve Vai for me I guess. I like more of a melodic base.

Steve Vai smokes that clown.

Of course, that just IMO.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, I really hated the Chickenfoot tracks. No biggie.

I think it's completely and utterly underwhelming. The musicianship is there, the voice is there.

But nothing is said.

The reason I hipped Pete to them is that based on his preferences, I thought he'd like them.

The record sounds like an early stage demo of Van Halen's OU812.

My least favorite VH mk2 record.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Steve Vai smokes that clown.

Of course, that just IMO.

Yes but that was not my point.

DaneMcCloud
04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Yes but that was not my point.

I know

Reaper16
04-18-2009, 11:29 PM
I just grabbed the first youtube link from John 5 that I found, anyway. My tastes are awesome, and I've listened to all his albums, so that's good enough for me.

petegz28
04-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I just grabbed the first youtube link from John 5 that I found, anyway. My tastes are awesome, and I've listened to all his albums, so that's good enough for me.

As long as you dig it, that's all that matters

L.A. Chieffan
04-19-2009, 01:59 AM
i get fucked up with wylde all the time at a little dive bar down the street. quiet dude, really cool though not egotistic or douchy or anything. btw rust in peace rules

Demonpenz
04-19-2009, 07:29 AM
ROFL

George Lynch
Gary Moore
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Chris Broderick
Doug Aldrich

while I you are probably right, it is just fun to like the guy. Kind of like a pro wrestler who isn't very good at wrestling, but is a decent showman. Especially if you are from say I dunno St joe, and Wylde looks like your uncle who dropped out of highschool, talks about fingering nuns and crazy shit, and plays in a classic rock coverband.

Scorp
04-19-2009, 07:36 AM
sigh

nevermind don't feel like arguing with retards

okcchief
04-19-2009, 10:34 AM

I don't personally know. However, I saw an interview with Don Dokken the other night talking about the first time he saw Eddie Van Halen play and he said it was the first time he had ever seen anything like that. Since he was in Lynch's band I doubt he would have been that blown away if Eddie was copying Lynch. Not that I give a fuck either way.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't personally know. However, I saw an interview with Don Dokken the other night talking about the first time he saw Eddie Van Halen play and he said it was the first time he had ever seen anything like that. Since he was in Lynch's band I doubt he would have been that blown away if Eddie was copying Lynch. Not that I give a fuck either way.

George and Eddie have a completely different style, so it's not surprising that Don would say something like that. Plus, it's documented just about everywhere that George & Don pretty much hate each other to death.

All I know is that I've seen, heard and talked to a shit-ton of guys who were around in the clubs in the early to mid 70's and they all say one thing:

George Lynch was the guy everyone wanted to be.

petegz28
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
George and Eddie have a completely different style, so it's not surprising that Don would say something like that. Plus, it's documented just about everywhere that George & Don pretty much hate each other to death.

All I know is that I've seen, heard and talked to a shit-ton of guys who were around in the clubs in the early to mid 70's and they all say one thing:

Amazing how much Dokken doesn't care for Lynch when arguably it was Lynch who made Dokken.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Amazing how much Dokken doesn't care for Lynch when arguably it was Lynch who made Dokken.

He's a grumpy old bastard that didn't like sharing the limelight. Plus, he was a major cokehead.

I've never heard anyone say anything nice about him.

Ever.

okcchief
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM

Yeah, I knew George Lynch kicked his ass and they have never spoken since. So I'm sure Dokken wouldn't go out of his way to make Lynch look good. He even said he just put down his guitar after seeing Van Halen play he was so blown away. That may be a jab at Lynch for all I know lol.

IMO they are both badass guitar players but neither are the best. You have to remember sometimes people like to spout an unpopular view just to be different. It makes people feel like they are in the know. I'm not saying that is the case here as I don't know your peeps and I'm sure you have your reasons to believe them. What they say may be fact.

It just amuses me when a first happens someone is credited and then their is a crowd that comes around years later to give someone lesser known all the credit. It always becomes the chicken or the egg arugument.

The only way to know is to have seen it with your own eyes. Some accounts may be accurate and some may have an agenda.

Grain of salt......

I'm curious though Dane. With the recent rival on hard rock and Metal is the strip hopping again? Is there a new breed?

DaneMcCloud
04-20-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm curious though Dane. With the recent rival on hard rock and Metal is the strip hopping again? Is there a new breed?

To your first part, I've talked to, heard tapes and been around enough people to know that George was the guy. For proof, have you heard the Van Halen/Mammoth tapes floating around from 1975 or the Gene Simmons produced Van Halen from 1976/77?

Eddie sounds nothing like "Eddie".

As for the second, the strip's not happening. The music business is dead. Tribute bands rain supreme. Labels are more interested in endless "Best Of" and "Remastered" catalog music than signing up and coming bands.

It's a very strange time.

Over-Head
04-20-2009, 06:22 PM
It's a very strange time.

It's a very strange town ;)