PDA

View Full Version : Royals 94 MPH perfectly placed fastball on 111th pitch to win game

T-post Tom
04-19-2009, 02:41 AM
:clap::clap::clap: Greinke is da Chit :clap::clap::clap:

MoreLemonPledge
04-19-2009, 04:10 AM
I wanted to see the slow curve. Just a little wink to Soria.

Coach
04-19-2009, 04:15 AM
I wanted to see the slow curve. Just a little wink to Soria.

Nah, the fastball was a good pitch. His curveballs were starting to hang, and if he hung one, it would more than likely be a tie game.

Red Dawg
04-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Nah, the fastball was a good pitch. His curveballs were starting to hang, and if he hung one, it would more than likely be a tie game.

HATER

seaofred
04-19-2009, 08:45 AM
It was a piece of beauty.

KChiefs1
04-19-2009, 09:16 AM
found this on Greinke:

STAT OF THE NIGHT
1.76:
Still on the fence about whether Zack Greinke (http://java%20script:newWin%28) is worth holding onto, or acquiring?
Since last August 1, no pitcher in MLB has an ERA as low as Greinke, at 1.76.
No pitcher is close!
Second is Toronto's Roy Halladay (http://java%20script:newWin%28) at 2.82.
Greinke hasn't allowed a run this season, and leads the AL in strikeouts with 26.
I have no questions about him. (ESPN)

sd4chiefs
04-19-2009, 09:21 AM
If he keeps playing at this level he will just end up signing with the Yankees for 25 million a year as soon as his contract is up.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2009, 09:30 AM
If he keeps playing at this level he will just end up signing with the Yankees for 25 million a year as soon as his contract is up.

Perhaps. But by that time we will have had him for 7 or 8 years. The theory is by then, we will have developed someone else to replace him.

rockchalkgirl
04-19-2009, 09:33 AM

In January, he signed a four year contract, so he'll be around for a little while yet. How about enjoying the major talent in the organization?

CoMoChief
04-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Perhaps. But by that time we will have had him for 7 or 8 years. The theory is by then, we will have developed someone else to replace him.

Which is why the Royals will never be seen as contenders on a regular basis. In baseball you have to pay to play. Getting rid of your top talent within the organization is not how you win these days.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 09:42 AM

Well, we do have him through 2012. His next four years could be either half or most of his peak career years. If he's a 4-year Cy Young award nominee for us, and then gets a big payday for his last few productive years, I wouldnt be too upset about that. That said, this could be one of those very unique circumstances (with his earlier emotional problems, the Royals sticking with him, giving him time, etc) where you could imagine him staying with the Royals and giving us a discount.

Its not like we're paying him nothing, he's getting solid #3 starter money right now. With the Gil Meche contract, we've also shown that we can pay #2 money if he wants an extension, though an ace pitcher market contract might be high for us.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Which is why the Royals will never be seen as contenders on a regular basis. In baseball you have to pay to play. Getting rid of your top talent within the organization is not how you win these days.

Outside of the big money teams on both coasts, pretty much every team in baseball is this way now.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 09:51 AM
While it was a nice pitch to end the game, his best series of pitches took place in the 2nd inning following the leadoff triple by Blaylock (that Crisp almost made the highlight reel on). Got Marlon Byrd to ground out 5-3 and then just embarrassed Cruz and Chris Davis with K's.

That was outstanding.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Outside of the big money teams on both coasts, pretty much every team in baseball is this way now.

Ya, I just looked through a lot of team rosters. There are very few people getting "ace" money, even the Yankees only have two guys earning more than Gil Meche, and its only by $3-4M. A lot of teams who you'd think could afford it, dont have anyone with a Carlos Zambrano type of "ace contract". (On a quick scan, Orioles and Red Sox have no one earning more than Meche)

That said, Greinke could be one of those very few pitchers who could command an ace contract.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 10:01 AM

What teams - MF'ing Yankees and Red Sox aside - are seen as "contenders on a regular basis"?

KChiefs1
04-19-2009, 11:05 AM
The Royals just signed Greinke to a long-term contract didn't they?

Hootie
04-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Soria for starter!

kcfanXIII
04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Soria for starter!

GOD NO!!!!!!!!

i hope you are joking, but just in case soria=elite closer. soria=slightly above average starter. just like you don't draft a tackle, then move albert. you don't rob peter to pay paul.

BWillie
04-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Soria for starter!

Imagine this f*cking rotation.....

Greinke
Meche
Soria
Hochevar
Pedro Martinez

Sh*t, me and Hootie could bat 8 and 9 and this team would still win.

Hootie
04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Imagine this f*cking rotation.....

Greinke
Meche
Soria
Hochevar
Pedro Martinez

Sh*t, me and Hootie could bat 8 and 9 and this team would still win.

I bet I could hit .090 off of Major League pitching...at least .045

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 12:12 PM

No chance.

With wood, you'd be lucky to get a hit once every 50 AB's.

Until you've stood in the box against someone throwing mid 90's, it's hard to imagine what it'd be like. Same thing for someone with sick off-speed stuff.

Hootie
04-19-2009, 12:14 PM
No chance.

With wood, you'd be lucky to get a hit once every 50 AB's.

NOPE

I UP MY STANCE TO .125

Reaper16
04-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd hit like .027 but my OBP would be sweet; I've got a hell of an eye for balls and strikes. As soon as the league figures out that all they need to do is throw fastballs down the middle to prevent walking me, I'll lay down the expertly placed bunt. See you bitches at 1st base.

Hootie
04-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm taking the Vladimir Guerrero approach...you won't see me taking any walks...if I get a hitters count I'm swinging no matter what...and I pretty much consider 0-0 a hitters count!

BWillie
04-19-2009, 12:32 PM
NOPE

I UP MY STANCE TO .125

I'm pretty sure you would bat under .50. Not a chance .125. Almost all pitchers were way above average at the plate back in their day and they are still horrendous at the plate. Can't imagine how bad it'd be if you took a ex-waiter drunken waiter from Illinois and threw him in there.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure you would bat under .50. Not a chance .125. Almost all pitchers were way above average at the plate back in their day and they are still horrendous at the plate. Can't imagine how bad it'd be if you took a ex-waiter drunken waiter from Illinois and threw him in there.

And at the D-1 level for most.

Little different from high school...