PDA

View Full Version : Royals Rany: Another Injury to Overcome

alnorth
04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Rany completely unloads both barrels into Trey Hillman

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2009/04/another-injury-to-overcome.html

Some quotes:

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears that having already lost the services of Alex Gordon for half the season, the Royals have suffered another blow to their playoff hopes. Joakim Soria is out indefinitely with an apparent inability to pitch.

I say “apparent” because there has no been no confirmation from the Royals on the subject. I hesitate to say that Soria is injured, because there is no evidence of an actual injury.

Nonetheless, it appears quite certain that the Mexicutioner is suffering from an ailment that prevents him from pitching. That is because the alternative explanation is that Trey Hillman has the IQ of a barnyard animal, and I think we can all agree that barnyard animals possess neither the intellect nor the communication skills necessary to obtain a job as major league manager in the first place.

And after Wright got out of the inning (but not before surrendering the game-tying single to Davis), and the Royals went quietly in the top of the ninth inning, and the Royals had to choose between Farnsworth and Soria to pitch the bottom of the ninth inning of a tie game, surely there’s no way a sentient and bipedal primate would look at those two options and choose Captain Goodnight – not unless Soria was suffering from AITP. (And evidently, Robinson Tejeda may have a mild case of AITP as well – our sources are looking into it.)

But please, don’t blame Hillman for this. Rest assured that there’s no way someone could spend a quarter-century playing, coaching, and managing in professional baseball, and ascend to the highest rank of his profession before he turned 45, and make the decisions that Hillman appeared to make today. It’s simply not possible that Hillman would not use Soria to protect a tight lead, even as the inning was falling apart, just because it was the eighth inning instead of the ninth. It’s not possible that instead of Soria in the ninth, he would call upon KYLE FREAKING FARNSWORTH, who now has more losses (3) than the rest of the team combined (2) in exactly 3.1 innings of work, just because it was a tie game instead of a save situation. Trey Hillman is not that stupid. No one is that stupid.

kstater
04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Excellent article. I expect to see someone's head(hopefully Farnsworth) rolling tomorrow. The Royals don't get a day off in nearly a month after tomorrow.

kcfanXIII
04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
captain goodnight. i'm gonna run with this.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, this certainly is a relief. Now that we know the truth, I hope that Soria can get better soon. It sucks that he suffers these random illnesses that keep him from pitching, but we need him to protect our slim leads (after not having pitched for several days) pretty soon.

beavis
04-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Excellent article. I expect to see someone's head(hopefully Farnsworth) rolling tomorrow. The Royals don't get a day off in nearly a month after tomorrow.

Yes, because when you're 7-5 and in first place, that's when the heads always roll.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
The fire Trey Hillman movement is starting to gain serious momentum.

12 games in, and he's directly cost us 2.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I strongly disagree with Rany on one important point.... Hillman IS that stupid.

kstater
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes, because when you're 7-5 and in first place, that's when the heads always roll.

Sorry I expect change when a full 60% of your losses can be pinned on one person.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry I expect change when a full 60% of your losses can be pinned on one person.

Hillman.

You can't put players in situations in which you know they won't succeed.

WoodDraw
04-19-2009, 07:25 PM
It’s simply not possible that Hillman would not use Soria to protect a tight lead, even as the inning was falling apart, just because it was the eighth inning instead of the ninth. It’s not possible that instead of Soria in the ninth, he would call upon KYLE FREAKING FARNSWORTH, who now has more losses (3) than the rest of the team combined (2) in exactly 3.1 innings of work, just because it was a tie game instead of a save situation. Trey Hillman is not that stupid. No one is that stupid.

That, and Captain Goodnight, FTW.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
This is a geat thread.

Now, explain to me (in terms even Pete could understand), how you pin this loss on our defense, when YOU Trey Hillman, barnyard animal, could have made a switch or three and moved our resident metallurgist from 1b to the bench during the time you were overthinking the pitching aspect game you SOBA, you. (Son of barnyard animal)

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm going to hollow out Hillman's bible and place a .38 in there. Maybe that will talk to him too.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Being a dermatologist, I wonder if Rany could excise that big wart that is our manager.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 07:34 PM
This is a geat thread.

Now, explain to me (in terms even Pete could understand), how you pin this loss on our defense, when YOU Trey Hillman, barnyard animal, could have made a switch or three and moved our resident metallurgist from 1b to the bench during the time you were overthinking the pitching aspect game you SOBA, you. (Son of barnyard animal)

He fucked up in so many ways it's truly impressive. Pen, defensive alignment, post-game comments, etc.

:clap: Hillman.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm still sofa king angry over this. Especially because Kyle Davies deserved better after pulling it all together after that near nuclear 1st inning. He battled and scratched and clawed and challenged the best offense we've faced this season and kicked their ass.

Only to have Hillman snatch certain defeat for the Rangers from the jaws of victory.

DeepSouth
04-19-2009, 08:05 PM
This is so freaking retarded. Soria is the closer. You put him in to get the save. You can't close it out and get the save unless you have the lead. Going into the bottom of the 9th, the score was tied. There might have been better options than putting Farnsworth in but Soria was not the answer at the time.

Freaking idiots....................

irishjayhawk
04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
What a great effing article! Sums up everything I've thought so far.

And, actually, perhaps even better was his part about Mike Jacob's Interpretive Dance when fielding. It's like he's imitating bullet-time from the Matrix movies.

KevB
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
This is so freaking retarded. Soria is the closer. You put him in to get the save. You can't close it out and get the save unless you have the lead. Going into the bottom of the 9th, the score was tied. There might have been better options than putting Farnsworth in but Soria was not the answer at the time.

Did we have the lead in the 8th, with 2 outs already? I forget. :rolleyes:

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Hillman, FTW111

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/13/win456_gallery__350x400.jpg

It's cool. Farny will get 'em next time.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/images/photos2008/sb20080706wga.jpg

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-19-2009, 08:17 PM

So the best pitcher in the bullpen can only be used if it's a save situation? You should never have the best pitcher in the bullpen come in and try to shut down a pretty potent offense UNLESS we have a lead and he can get a save? Is that really what you're saying? I guess Soria coming in and holding said offense in a tie and giving your offense a chance to win in the next inning and therefor getting Soria a win rather than a save is a waste of the best pitcher in the bullpen? Really? Never mind the lead we still had in 8th when he could have come in and .... gasp.... been asked to get 4 outs in the game. You might have a place on Hillmans staff with that thinking.

Freaking idiot......................

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Freaking idiots....................Royals were leading with two outs in the bottom of the 8th inning. Why not just effectively end the game by putting in Soria?

Deberg_1990
04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
So the best pitcher in the bullpen can only be used if it's a save situation? You should never have the best pitcher in the bullpen come in and try to shut down a pretty potent offense UNLESS we have a lead and he can get a save? Is that really what you're saying? I guess Soria coming in and holding said offense in a tie and giving your offense a chance to win in the next inning and therefor getting Soria a win rather than a save is a waste of the best pitcher in the bullpen? Really? Never mind the lead we still had in 8th when he could have come in and .... gasp.... been asked to get 4 outs in the game. You might have a place on Hillmans staff with that thinking.

Freaking idiot......................

Thank you. Nice to see we agree once again. :)

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 08:23 PM

How far into the Deep South do you live? You got TV? Radio? Oxygen? (kidding)

At issue here is the 8th inning. And the number of things that Hillman actually could have controlled. Especially defensively.

BigMeatballDave
04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I haven't criticized Hillman much, but today was stupid. Soria hadn't thrown much lately. He could have come in in the 8th. Hopefully, Hillman has lost ALL faith in Farnsworth.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Note to Hillman: Only use Farnsworth to protect a 10+ run lead in the future. Thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Hopefully, Hillman has lost ALL faith in Farnsworth.

According to his post game comments he hasn't

WoodDraw
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM

So the "this is so freaking retarded" was an introduction to you or your post?

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 08:30 PM

He had to be wearing an earpiece and Dayton Moore had to be feeding him those lines to save face for the Farnsworth signing.

I refuse to believe that anyone is that stupid.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Anybody know, since we have a day off are we skipping Ramirez a start in Cleveland? I'd like to think we'd be anxious to keep this loss from being a snowball down the mountain effect.

No better way to do that than keep Ramirez from toeing the rubber.

Coogs
04-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Note to Hillman: Only use Farnsworth to protect a 10+ run lead in the future. Thanks.

:shake: Much to risky! 10+ run deficits only, and hope ther are very few of those.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Anybody know, since we have a day off are we skipping Ramirez a start in Cleveland? I'd like to think we'd be anxious to keep this loss from being a snowball down the mountain effect.

No better way to do that than keep Ramirez from toeing the rubber.

No, we're not skipping his start.

Heard this yesterday in the post-game. Hillman was pleased with Greinke's performance and noted his upcoming "additional day of rest."

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
And that's another reason why today's loss particularly stings.

Now we have Ponson and Ramirez to negotiate.

Reaper16
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM

We're gonna' need the bats to come alive.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 08:45 PM

Gee, I feel like we're in a barrel and the sound I hear is Victoria Falls.

thebrad84
04-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Are Hillman's post game comments posted somewhere? I looked at kcroyals.com, but didn't see a link for it. Would like to read Hillman's explanation, or lack-there-of on the 8th inning pitching decisions.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I am far more pissed about today than the Opening Day debacle. Thus, let's continue to pile on Trey (from the Star blog):

Kyle Farnsworth and a questionable decision by Trey Hillman, have we seen this before?

It sure is fun and easy to manage a baseball game from the couch (or the press box).

No decision made from either of those places has any real consequence. If you get it right, hey, look at you, you're a big league manager! If you get it wrong, hey, no sweat, and you don't even have to tell anybody.

When criticizing a manager, it's always best to keep in mind that the guy getting paid for the decisions is working with information the rest of us don't have, sometimes facts that would change our minds, and other times hunches and feelings and educated guesses built on access available only to the guys in the clubhouse.

All that said, this one's hard to understand.

Let's play the skipper game.

It's the beginning of the eighth inning, you're at Texas, and thanks to another absolutely brilliant start by Zack Greinke the night before* you're working with a completely rested bullpen and with the luxury of an offday coming up, you have all your options available. There aren't many days like this for a big league manager.

* More on this later, hopefully, as part of an MGD update. But here's the short version: Zack is really, really good.

The slugger formerly known as Andruw Jones leads off by crushing a first-pitch fastball from left-handed reliever Ron Mahay to the left-field wall. David DeJesus has what would be a fabulous catch in his glove, possibly twice, but he crashes into what appears to be a horizontal trampoline that's in place of the outfield fence in Arlington, and the ball falls for a double.

Hank Blalock is the next batter, and he hits a pretty sharp grounder at Mike Jacobs, who butchers the play a few different ways. He didn't field it cleanly, then panicked, then made a very bizarre toss to first base that, if it had been online, would've been about 10 seconds late. That's not an exact measurement, however, as Jacobs' toss was, oh, maybe four feet wide of what we have to assume his target is.

Here's where we pause for a moment to point out that Ball Star defended Jacobs' defense in spring training. I think (hope?) it came with a qualifier, a recognition of his terrible reputation as a first baseman, but still, I wrote that Jacobs was mostly pretty adequate at first base in Arizona.

And he was. But we should all forget that now. Or, and this would be even better, forget it last week.

Anyway, you've got first and third, no outs, up two runs and a completely rested bullpen -- one of your team's greatest strengths -- so obviously now's a good time to go get one of your relievers.

You've already used Juan Cruz in this game, so your best options to replace Ron Mahay would figure to be:

a) Joakim Soria. He's one of the best relievers in the world, hasn't pitched in nearly a week, and there's been talk around the club that you'd be more willing to extend him past just one inning this year. This is probably a little early, but the option's there.

b) Robinson Tejeda. He has ridiculous stuff, and has pitched 3 2/3 innings for you this season, not allowing a single hit and striking out seven. He's also walked three, hit one, and thrown a wild pitch.

You choose:

c) Jamey Wright. He's a solid if unspectacular pitcher who will give you a professional effort. Nothing wrong with Jamey Wright.

Wright is facing Nelson Cruz, who swings at a first-pitch fastball and chops one to Alberto Callaspo. From the couch, it looked like Callaspo could've turned and had the lead runner at second base, but he plays it safe and goes to first for the out. Jones scores.

One out, the lead's down to one, tying run at second base, the left-handed David Murphy coming up.

You stick with Wright, which wouldn't have been my choice, but fine, Murphy flies out to right field. Two out.

Texas calls on pinch hitter Chris Davis, a rookie who has every look of being a big-time player and soon. He called is effort the night before -- 0-for-4, three strikeouts, including the last out looking -- "pathetic" but everyone in the ballpark knows this kid can rake.

Wright gives up a 94 tOPS+ to righties, and a 107 tOPS+ to lefties*.

* The problem with that stat, of course, is that Trey Hillman says he doesn't care much for splits. This may or may not be the reason heleft Kyle Farnsworth in on opening day to give up a three-run bomb to Jim Thome, may or may not be the reason Jimmy Gobble is not in the big leagues right now, and may or may not be the reason he called on Mahay (a lefty) to replace Cruz (a righty) to face Josh Hamilton (a lefty) an inning before.

This is all confusing, no?

Anyway, at this point you could go to Soria, who is actually a little better against lefties than righties. And did we mention he's fully rested? Hasn't pitched in six days? And is better at what he does than anybody else on your team is at what they do?

The downside is you're on the road so the cool flames won't light up the scoreboard and you won't get to hear "Welcome to the Jungle," but still, this seems like a pretty solid option.

You decide to stick with Wright.

Davis singles home the tying run.

Fine.

Questionable, but defensible.

Wright gets out of the inning with no more damage, you go to the ninth tied at 5. Frank Francisco is dealing in the ninth, and your offense gets nothing.

At this point, you have Kyle Farnsworth and Soria each warming up. Francisco is really the Rangers' only good reliever, so the longer you can keep the Rangers from scoring the more you have to like your chances.

So your choices:

a) Soria. He is terrific. Hasn't given up a home run since last August. Did we mention he hasn't pitched in six days? And you have an offday coming up? And that he's one of the best two or three relief pitchers in the world? Huh? Did we mention that? We can light a match, or track down an iPod and play a little G 'n R for you if that's your thing.

b) Farnsworth. He has two of your team's four losses. He gives up home runs at an incredible rate. You're facing one of the best home run hitting teams in baseball, with the heart of the order due up, in one of the better home run parks in baseball.

If you chose "b," you are the winner of our stupid little game here, because that's what Royals manager Trey Hillman did on Sunday.

Farnsworth, bless his heart, throws a perfectly straight 96 mph fastball down the middle to the first batter he faces, the powerful Michael Young, who crushes one deep enough into the left field seats that DeJesus' first move is not to track the ball but to jog into the dugout.

Soria heads that way, too. At the earliest, he will have gone eight days before he pitches next.

He has now pitches fewer innings in relief than both Jamey Wright and Juan Cruz, the same as Doug Waechter, and fewer games than Farnsworth, who now has three of the team's five losses. The only reason Soria has pitched more innings than Farnsworth is because Soria gets more batters out.

Look. This is just one game. There are 149 more. The Royals are still in first place. Maybe it's the good Farnsworth that comes in the game, blows away the Rangers' power, the move works out and then I'm probably blogging about something else.

Maybe there is some other piece of for-Trey's-ears-only information the rest of us don't know about that makes how he handled the bullpen on Sunday completely logical.

And even if there's not, Hillman is the manager of the first-place Royals even as he's had to juggle key injuries and inconsistencies, the rotation is humming, and in the big picture there are more reasons to be encouraged than discouraged about the Royals.

I get all that.

But, you know, it sure is tough to see Soria stay in the bullpen in that situation.
Submitted by Sam Mellinger on April 19, 2009 - 7:43pm.
Royals | login or register to post comments

http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/292

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Pretty good by Mellinger. Should have added something about Hillman, God, Easter, a crucifix, nails.... and how we'd all like to tack him up on one right now.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I was just starting to calm down when I read this in the Star:

Hillman said he never considered using All-Star closer Joakim Soria instead of Farnsworth to start the ninth inning because it was a tie game.

“Not on the road,” Hillman said. “At home, yes. But not on the road. Just simply because the percentages are against you in that situation.”

F***ing hell. Is there ANY way to read that without concluding that our manager is a damned fool? Your talking about percentages and playing Kyle Farnsworth, our most homer-prone pitcher against the heart of the lineup of the most feared power team in one of the most homer-friendly parks in baseball?

Can we win the division in spite of him? If 87 wins would do it, then we may have to "truely" be a 93-win team to make it.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Hillman said he never considered using All-Star closer Joakim Soria instead of Farnsworth to start the ninth inning because it was a tie game.

“Not on the road,” Hillman said. “At home, yes. But not on the road. Just simply because the percentages are against you in that situation.”

Wow, that might be the dumbest thing ive ever read.

KcMizzou

Now we have Ponson and Ramirez to negotiate.Sure would look better sitting at 8-4 right now.

That game hurt. Davies came out, sucked ass at first, and bounced back. He was a warrior. In the end, it meant nothing.

Mama Hip Rockets

are you trey hillman?

Mama Hip Rockets
04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Sure would look better sitting at 8-4 right now.

8-4? this team should be 10-2. farnsworthless/hillman have lost 3 games that should have been won.

Rigodan
04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
No, we're not skipping his start.

Heard this yesterday in the post-game. Hillman was pleased with Greinke's performance and noted his upcoming "additional day of rest."

FSKC said after the game today that Meche would go on Wed and Greinke on Thurs. I hope they know what they're talking about.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 09:45 PM
FSKC said after the game today that Meche would go on Wed and Greinke on Thurs. I hope they know what they're talking about.

They don't. Here's the info from the Star:

Heading to Cleveland

The Royals have an open date Monday before opening a three-game series Tuesday in Cleveland. The Royals won two of three games when the teams played last week at Kauffman Stadium.

Here are the projected pitching matchups:

• Tuesday: RHP Sidney Ponson, 0-1 and 4.50, vs. Cleveland LHP Aaron Laffey, 0-0 and 3.38, at 6:05 p.m. Central time.

• Wednesday: LHP Horacio Ramirez, 0-1 and 11.12, vs. Cleveland LHP Cliff Lee, 1-2 and 6.75, at 6:05 p.m. Central time.

• Thursday: RHP Gil Meche, 1-0 and 2.25, vs. RHP Anthony Reyes, 1-0 and 5.73, at 11:05 a.m. Central time.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1150717-p2.html

alnorth
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
They don't. Here's the info from the Star:

Heading to Cleveland

The Royals have an open date Monday before opening a three-game series Tuesday in Cleveland. The Royals won two of three games when the teams played last week at Kauffman Stadium.

Here are the projected pitching matchups:

• Tuesday: RHP Sidney Ponson, 0-1 and 4.50, vs. Cleveland LHP Aaron Laffey, 0-0 and 3.38, at 6:05 p.m. Central time.

• Wednesday: LHP Horacio Ramirez, 0-1 and 11.12, vs. Cleveland LHP Cliff Lee, 1-2 and 6.75, at 6:05 p.m. Central time.

• Thursday: RHP Gil Meche, 1-0 and 2.25, vs. RHP Anthony Reyes, 1-0 and 5.73, at 11:05 a.m. Central time.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1150717-p2.html

I'd be fine with Ponson, but I dont know if I'm listening to that Wednesday game. The only saving grace is that Cliff Lee also struggled, but he's really not that bad. I have a feeling he'll get back on track with our lineup and an early 5-run lead.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Sure would look better sitting at 8-4 right now.

That game hurt. Davies came out, sucked ass at first, and bounced back. He was a warrior. In the end, it meant nothing.

I'm all sorts of pissed about today, and wasting Davies' yeoman's effort is a major reason why.

But the unbelievable stupidity demonstrated by Hillman paints a bleak picture about what will happen in similar situations in the future.

Is there no one on the fucking bench trying to help this dipshit? The Royals version of a "father time," but someone who actually, you know..., knows something?

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I'd be fine with Ponson, but I dont know if I'm listening to that Wednesday game. The only saving grace is that Cliff Lee also struggled, but he's really not that bad. I have a feeling he'll get back on track with our lineup and an early 5-run lead.

Ponson deserves a start. He's been surprisingly competent.

Given Lee's most recent performance in the Bronx, however, I have no doubt that he's going to look like he's in Cy Young form on Wed, which will be aided considerably by what he'll look like in comparison to our own lefty.

KChiefs1
04-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I would love to have seen Dayton Moore's face when Farnsworth came out of the bullpen...I'm hoping he is as disgusted as all of us are with today's game.

I still don't understand why you just didn't leave Cruz out there in the 7th & 8th innings today. I don't give jackshit about lefty vs lefty matchups...Cruz has proven that it doesn't matter to him & why is Soria only used during the 9th inning?

The Royals will never be in the playoffs no matter what Moore does as long as this imbecile(Hillman) is allowed to screwup this bullpen by mismanagement.

DeezNutz
04-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I would love to have seen Dayton Moore's face when Farnsworth came out of the bullpen...I'm hoping he is as disgusted as all of us are with today's game.

I still don't understand why you just didn't leave Cruz out there in the 7th & 8th innings today. I don't give jackshit about lefty vs lefty matchups...Cruz has proven that it doesn't matter to him & why is Soria only used during the 9th inning?

The Royals will never be in the playoffs no matter what Moore does as long as this imbecile(Hillman) is allowed to screwup this bullpen by mismanagement.

I'd imagine that Moore's face was pretty placid considering that he's the dumbshit who gave Farnsworth over 9 mil for 2 seasons...

He and Hillman are the only two people surprised by Farnsworth's fucking gas can that he takes out to the mound.

KevB
04-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I'd imagine that Moore's face was pretty placid considering that he's the dumbshit who gave Farnsworth over 9 mil for 2 seasons...

He and Hillman are the only two people surprised by Farnsworth's ****ing gas can that he takes out to the mound.

Don't forget to add the butane lighter in his back pocket....

KevB
04-19-2009, 10:57 PM

Many things to criticize about the game today, but not using Soria at any point in the 8th is unforgivable really. Rany hits the nail on the head, and Hillman deserves every bit of criticism he's getting.

alanm
04-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Note to Hillman: Only use Farnsworth to protect a 10+ run lead in the future. Thanks.In light of the 1st 2 weeks with Farnsworth I'd cringe in that scenario as well.

chubychecker
04-19-2009, 11:21 PM

I agree that the play to put in Farny wasn't that bad. Obviously our scouting/management dept has faith in him bringing him in and paying him. You don't bring Soria in during that situation.

Look we still won three of four series to start the year. We realize farny is horrible. Big strides to take in the first few weeks of the season.

irishjayhawk
04-19-2009, 11:25 PM

He and Hillman are the only two people surprised by Farnsworth's ****ing gas can that he takes out to the mound.

Gas cans do damage. More like a bouncy ball.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I've heard a couple times now that not bringing the closer in for the 9th makes sense since this is a road game. If you stop them in the 9th, you score in the 10th, then you have to stop them again in the 10th when the closer might be tired, so its best to wait till you have the lead in the top of the XXth inning.

There is some logic to that, and I'd be fine with it if a) we faced a team with a good bullpen and b) we didnt use a rocket-launcher in place of Soria. Neither was true.

Texas threw their closer out there, and as soon as Francisco ran out of gas in extra innings, Texas would have been screwed with crappy pitchers. Therefore, I would have matched their closer with ours and waited them out. They replace Francisco with a bad pitcher and Soria's tired, I counter with Tejeda and wait for our guys to score the winning run.

irishjayhawk
04-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I've heard a couple times now that not bringing the closer in for the 9th makes sense since this is a road game. If you stop them in the 9th, you score in the 10th, then you have to stop them again in the 10th when the closer might be tired, so its best to wait till you have the lead in the top of the XXth inning.

There is some logic to that, and I'd be fine with it if a) we faced a team with a good bullpen and b) we didnt use a rocket-launcher in place of Soria. Neither was true.

Texas threw their closer out there, and as soon as Francisco ran out of gas in extra innings, Texas would have been screwed with crappy pitchers. Therefore, I would have matched their closer with ours and waited them out. They replace Francisco with a bad pitcher and Soria's tired, I counter with Tejeda and wait for our guys to score the winning run.

A simpler approach would be just to not put Farnsworth in, even if you don't put Soria in either.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 11:34 PM
A simpler approach would be just to not put Farnsworth in, even if you don't put Soria in either.

Thats... basically what I said.

irishjayhawk
04-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Thats... basically what I said.

Oh, it sounded like you advocated putting Soria in to match their closer, and then call on Tejada. I just reversed it.

Reaper16
04-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Sunday Night Thought of the Week (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/04/19/sunday-night-thought-of-the-week/)

Joe Posnanski
19 Apr 2009 Baseball (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/category/baseball/)
http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/wp-content/plugins/wp-print/images/print.gif (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/04/19/sunday-night-thought-of-the-week/print/) Print This Post (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/04/19/sunday-night-thought-of-the-week/print/) http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/wp-content/themes/scrapbook/images/comment.png 1 (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/04/19/sunday-night-thought-of-the-week/#comments)

I could take this moment to, once again, marvel at the remarkable character that is Kansas City Royals reliever Kyle Farnsworth.

A week ago, with the Royals losing soundly to the New York Yankees, Farnsworth stomped into the game, unleashed his 100-mph fastball, struck out Damon, Teixeira, Matsui — left all of them swinging helplessly at his ungodly stuff — a commanding performance that inspired a crusty baseball man to say with wonder: “No one else in the world could do that.” Sunday, with the score tied in the ninth, that same Kyle Farnsworth came into the game, and on his second pitch he unleashed a 96-mph fastball that Michael Young hit so far that Royals left fielder David DeJesus did not even chase it to the wall. DeJesus instead took two or three steps back and then, like a golfer who realizes he will never find his ball in the jungle, turned back toward and let the cheering crowd fill him in on the details. The walk-off home run tagged Farnsworth with three losses in less than two weeks, which is telling when you consider that the Royals whole team only has five losses. And this time it was not a baseball man, but instead Royals fans all over the country, who were left muttering: “No one else in the world could do that.”

As I Twittered in the seconds after the game ended: If William Shakespeare was alive and a sportswriter — two plausible possibilities — he would never tire of writing about Kyle Farnsworth.

But no, I’m not going to write about Farnsworth today. There’s a whole season for that. I’m also not going to write about my new favorite Kansas City Royals everyday player, Mike Jacobs, who had what I have to believe is a perfect Mike Jacobs day: He crushed an opposite field home run that sailed and sailed, he also struck out, and he spectacularly botched a sluggish ground ball in the eighth inning — first fumbling it, then seeming to lose it under his car seat*, then making an ill-advised throw to no one in particular. His runner would tie the game. Mike Jacobs giveth, and he taketh away, and he makes it all interesting.

*Yes, I’m already previewing what an infomercial blog post coming soon!

I’m not even going to write about Royals manager Trey Hillman … well, not entirely. I think it’s fair to say that Trey has not yet figured out how he will use the bullpen — and that’s probably not a good thing since, as far as I can tell, these games count in the standings. I remember Bill James wrote that it really would make sense for every big league manager to spend time simulating hundreds and hundreds of baseball games on a computer. People took that wrong; Bill was not saying that managers could LEARN about their teams from playing these simulations. What he was saying by playing these games again and again, some parts of the game would become second nature — he was saying they should simulate baseball games for the same reason that astronauts simulate and race car drivers and pilots and so on. I suspect if Trey had done that, he would not have left Kyle Farnsworth in on Opening Day to face Jim Thome when he had a fresh lefty in the bullpen. I suspect if Trey had done that, he would not have used a fresh bullpen in the odd way he used it Sunday.

But no, my point is not to go over the details of Sunday’s loss, but to get to a different point: The Royals led 5-3 going into the eighth inning. They still led 5-4 with one out. They led 5-4 with two outs. And their star closer — the guy who might just be the best closer in baseball — had not pitched in SIX DAYS. OK? This was Sunday afternoon, and Joakim Soria had not pitched since the previous Monday. That’s awful no matter what — you don’t leave any pitcher out for six days, much less your dominant closer. And on top of this, the Royals had a DAY OFF coming. OK? Are you with me here? Six days off coming in. One day off coming out.
So, it’s fair to say that you will never, ever have a better time to bring in your closer to try and get four or five outs. Never. Soria had not pitched in almost a week. The team was going into a day off. It was a beautiful afternoon. The Royals were in first place and going for a sweep. This was absolutely, positively the perfect time to stretch out Joakim Soria. If you are not going to do it in this spot, then you are basically saying that you will never do it.

Well, of course, you know that the Royals did not bring Soria into the game in the eighth inning. Hillman said he did not want Soria to pitch more than an inning. He said — and I am not making this up — that he did not think that would be right considering that Soria had not pitched much lately. So it goes.

But, again, I’m not really writing about Trey Hillman: The Royals are off to a pretty nice start, and they are doing some good things, and he gets credit for that. If they can keep it going, then Hillman will have a real shot at being named manager of the year — like Tony Pena was in 2003.

No, my point is this: I have written quite a lot about what the Royals should do with Joakim Soria, but I haven’t really written a hard opinion on it. There’s a reason for this: I can really see both sides of the argument — I can see why some people think he should become a starter where he would be more valuable, and I can see why some people think he should be a closer where he has proven to be dominant. If you want to know the truth, I personally am on the side of making him a starter, but I have very good friends and baseball people whose opinion I respect more than my own give me solid-sounding reasons why he should stay a closer. When he shut the door last week against the Yankees, I wrote a column saying that on days like that you can certainly see the closer side of the argument. It’s nice to close out victories.

BUT … on days like Sunday, the starter argument jumps hard, and suddenly I can’t keep still on this. What’s the point of keeping this brilliant young pitcher in the bullpen if you are NOT GOING TO PITCH HIM? What’s the point of using Joakim Soria, with his three great pitches and zen-like calm, as a stinking, pitiful, plain old, start-the-ninth-if-up-by-1- 2-3-runs closer? What’s the point of being afraid to throw your best pitcher more than one inning or in a tie game?
Here is the starter argument to me: The Royals have never pushed to see what they have with Joakim Soria. They have gratefully taken his 1-2-3 ninth innings because those have been so rare in recent years. But they don’t know what he could be … and they seem too scared to find out.

Yes, I have been on the side of starting, but I’ve never been militant about it, I fully understand the argument to keep him in the bullpen. The Royals have not had much go right the last decade or more. They don’t want to screw this up. I get it.
But I don’t get this. I just don’t. Leaving Soria in the pen on Sunday to me was an affront — Joakim Soria was a gift. If you don’t pitch him, you are wasting that gift. And wasting gifts — that’s about the most frustrating thing in sports. Life too.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Oh, it sounded like you advocated putting Soria in to match their closer, and then call on Tejada. I just reversed it.

Actually in this case, yes thats what I would have done, because Texas was down to their very last good relief pitcher while we still had 2, and then 1 ok one. Outlast Francisco, and the game is over, so you might as well match their best with our best.

However, failing that, I figured the "rocket launcher" comment made it clear that plan B doesnt include Farnsworth. So, I basically said we use anyone but Farnsworth in that situation.

irishjayhawk
04-19-2009, 11:44 PM
I disagree with the starter notion, but I'll be damned if we can't use Soria more than we have.

alnorth
04-19-2009, 11:50 PM
BUT … on days like Sunday, the starter argument jumps hard, and suddenly I can’t keep still on this. What’s the point of keeping this brilliant young pitcher in the bullpen if you are NOT GOING TO PITCH HIM? What’s the point of using Joakim Soria, with his three great pitches and zen-like calm, as a stinking, pitiful, plain old, start-the-ninth-if-up-by-1- 2-3-runs closer? What’s the point of being afraid to throw your best pitcher more than one inning or in a tie game?
Here is the starter argument to me: The Royals have never pushed to see what they have with Joakim Soria. They have gratefully taken his 1-2-3 ninth innings because those have been so rare in recent years. But they don’t know what he could be … and they seem too scared to find out.

Yes, I have been on the side of starting, but I’ve never been militant about it, I fully understand the argument to keep him in the bullpen. The Royals have not had much go right the last decade or more. They don’t want to screw this up. I get it.
But I don’t get this. I just don’t. Leaving Soria in the pen on Sunday to me was an affront — Joakim Soria was a gift. If you don’t pitch him, you are wasting that gift. And wasting gifts — that’s about the most frustrating thing in sports. Life too.

I agree with a lot of this. I can probably live with Soria as a closer if he is a 4-5 out closer when needed, if we are not afraid to turn to him immediately when the game is in danger in the 8th.

If Soria is going to be a strict, traditional, ordinary, only in the 9th if up by 1 to 3 runs, closer, then his talent is wasted. A lot of guys can do that and maybe collect nearly as many saves per year. As a "long closer", he has some more value worth talking about, but if we are going to waste him as a 1,2,3 out closer, then I want to see if he can start.

Valiant
04-19-2009, 11:55 PM

I am hoping we can trade farnsworth to the Nats for a twelvepack..

alnorth
04-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Kansas City Royals Salaries - 2009

1. Jose Guillen 12,000,000
2. Gil Meche 11,400,000
3. Coco Crisp 6,083,333
4. Kyle Farnsworth 4,250,000
5. Ron Mahay 4,000,000
6. Zack Greinke 3,750,000
7. David DeJesus 3,600,000
8. Mark Teahen 3,575,000
9. Mike Jacobs 3,275,000
10. John Buck 2,900,000
11. Miguel Olivo 2,700,000
12. Juan Cruz 2,250,000
13. Horacio Ramirez 1,800,000
14. Willie Bloomquist 1,400,000
15. Kyle Davies 1,300,000
16. John Bale 1,200,000
17. Joakim Soria 1,000,000
18. Doug Waechter 640,000
19. Alex Gordon 457,000
20. Robinson Tejeda 437,000
21. Tony Pena 425,000
22. Mike Aviles 424,500
23. Billy Butler 421,000
24. Alberto Callaspo 415,500
25. Brayan Pena 405,000
Total Team Salary: 70,108,333

Rigodan
04-20-2009, 12:27 AM
How much did Ben Sheets end up signing for?

alnorth
04-20-2009, 12:35 AM
How much did Ben Sheets end up signing for?

He is an unsigned free agent. Looks like he's hurt and rehabbing, might be ready to pitch for someone in July. He's also a type-A free agent, so there's no incentive at all to sign him early.

Rigodan
04-20-2009, 12:36 AM
He is an unsigned free agent. Looks like he's hurt and rehabbing, might be ready to pitch for someone in July.

hehe no wonder I couldn't find it.

tk13
04-20-2009, 01:16 AM
I understand JoPo's argument, but just to play the other side.... if Soria's a starter, then Farnsworth there is our setup guy all the time. How many games you think we're gonna win like that... we're going to have dominant starting performances thrown away 2 or 3 times a week.

HemiEd
04-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Royals were leading with two outs in the bottom of the 8th inning. Why not just effectively end the game by putting in Soria?

I agree, and was screaming for him to come in. But, BA couldn't hear me.

alnorth
04-20-2009, 07:32 AM
I understand JoPo's argument, but just to play the other side.... if Soria's a starter, then Farnsworth there is our setup guy all the time. How many games you think we're gonna win like that... we're going to have dominant starting performances thrown away 2 or 3 times a week.

Soria start does not directly lead to Farnsworth setup. They are unrelated. If Farnsworth is ineffective, he is eventually released regardless of what Soria does.

The argument is, if we are not going to treat Soria like an elite closer and use him when we need outs in the 8th, then he is wasted in the bullpen. Let Cruz close.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Hillman said he did not want Soria to pitch more than an inning. He said — and I am not making this up — that he did not think that would be right considering that Soria had not pitched much lately.

This comment from Hillman reflects an unprecedented level of stupidity and would justify his firing. It's not possible to be any ****ing dumber than this.

It's simple: If you're dumb enough to make this comment, you are not intellectually qualified to be the manager of any club, much less a ML one.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-20-2009, 08:41 AM
If we are able to stay in contention all season... which I think we can in this division... it frightens me to think about how we could lose the divison by 1, 2 or 3 games.......

Nzoner
04-20-2009, 09:05 AM
If we are able to stay in contention all season... which I think we can in this division... it frightens me to think about how we could lose the divison by 1, 2 or 3 games.......

I agree,plus I also think other players keep an eye on these things,Hillman keeps making dumb moves and remains the manager and next season a good free agent thinks no way I'm playing for this dumbass.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I agree,plus I also think other players keep an eye on these things,Hillman keeps making dumb moves and remains the manager and next season a good free agent thinks no way I'm playing for this dumbass.

Exactly. After the season opener I said to someone that this is why free agents (talking about Meche once he is one) sign elsewhere when like contracts are offered by other teams.

Sure-Oz
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
No way i want Soria as a starter, he just dominates at the closer spot. I like not seeing losers like Burgos or Macdougal struggling in the 9th anymore. He needs to stay cause he dominates in that role and probably would be a #2 or 3 starter who even knows what that ceiling would be but he could be our Rivera, keep him that way!

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 10:42 AM
No way i want Soria as a starter, he just dominates at the closer spot. I like not seeing losers like Burgos or Macdougal struggling in the 9th anymore. He needs to stay cause he dominates in that role and probably would be a #2 or 3 starter who even knows what that ceiling would be but he could be our Rivera, keep him that way!
He could be our Rivera if we'd fucking use him like Rivera.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Note to Hillman: Soria can get 6 outs, and he can probably do this pretty regularly.

Sure-Oz
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
He could be our Rivera if we'd ****ing use him like Rivera.

Be nice if they did, soria could do 2 innings easy im sure.

I wish they just used the pen right....Cruz in the 8th, Tejeda in the 7th or Mahay if needed. Farnsworth right now only in the mid innings or blowouts preferably or cut!

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Seriously, Trey. Tejeda-Cruz-Soria. Its not a difficult combination. Whether that's 7th-8th-9th or 6th-7th-8th-9th with any of the three going 2 innings, its easy as fuck to figure out. You didn't have any trouble last year when you were going Mahay-RamRam-Soria. Why are you fucking everything up this year?

Sure-Oz
04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Seriously, Trey. Tejeda-Cruz-Soria. Its not a difficult combination. Whether that's 7th-8th-9th or 6th-7th-8th-9th with any of the three going 2 innings, its easy as **** to figure out. You didn't have any trouble last year when you were going Mahay-RamRam-Soria. Why are you ****ing everything up this year?

I know right? It's not like Cruz didn't dominate last year or anything and Mahay is solid as well usually. Tejeda pitching well and well Farnsworth is pulling a chin mieng wang this year too

Maybe he's really trying to get fired and go back to his Nipple hams

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Trey--actual quotation, paraphrased: "What do you want me to do? Use him (Farny!) in only the 5th and 6th?"

Yes, Trey. That's exactly what I want you to do.

Demonpenz
04-20-2009, 11:14 AM
wait until our historical pitching preformance goes back to what it should be. We are going to be screwed.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Trey--actual quotation, paraphrased: "What do you want me to do? Use him (Farny!) in only the 5th and 6th?"

ROFL what an idiot.

(hillman, i mean. not you).

alnorth
04-20-2009, 11:27 AM
ROFL what an idiot.

(hillman, i mean. not you).

I dont think the qualifier was necessary.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I dont think the qualifier was necessary.

true, but you never know how people take things on the internet.

Sure-Oz
04-20-2009, 11:34 AM

Yes if you don't want to get canned by the allstar break

Dartgod
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
WTF? I was in Mexico last week and just read about Gordon's injury! :cuss:

RockChalk
04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
The real screw up in my opinion was pulling Cruz out of the game with Hamilton coming up. Meche, Grienke, and Davies (all righties) had just spent the better part of 3 games making Hamilton look like a fool with curves, change-ups, and sliders. Cruz makes two of the 3 Rangers batters he faced look stupid with his nasty slider and Trey pulls him because he wants the lefty-lefty matchup against Hamilton. In my opinion, that was the biggest mistake of the game. He should've taken his chances with Cruz in hopes that he could pitch the 8th as well...quite simply, he over-managed the game once again and based on his post-game comments, he seems too arrogant to even consider that he made poor choices.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
The real screw up in my opinion was pulling Cruz out of the game with Hamilton coming up. Meche, Grienke, and Davies (all righties) had just spent the better part of 3 games making Hamilton look like a fool with curves, change-ups, and sliders. Cruz makes two of the 3 Rangers batters he faced look stupid with his nasty slider and Trey pulls him because he wants the lefty-lefty matchup against Hamilton. In my opinion, that was the biggest mistake of the game. He should've taken his chances with Cruz in hopes that he could pitch the 8th as well...quite simply, he over-managed the game once again and based on his post-game comments, he seems too arrogant to even consider that he made poor choices.

but...but...i thought mahay was not a lefty specialist?

KChiefs1
04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
This comment from Hillman reflects an unprecedented level of stupidity and would justify his firing. It's not possible to be any ****ing dumber than this.

It's simple: If you're dumb enough to make this comment, you are not intellectually qualified to be the manager of any club, much less a ML one.

Trey Hillman is an imbecile plain & simple. A 5 year old could manage better than this dumbass.

irishjayhawk
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Trey Hillman is an imbecile plain & simple. A 5 year old could manage better than this dumbass.

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. But this shit is just too much and it's been building since last year.

I don't even completely blame Farnsworth. I blame the use of Farnsworth, which is Hillman.

KChiefs1
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM

I would have been happy with Cruz doing the 7th & 8th with Soria in the 9th but why not Cruz in the 7th with Soria in the 8th & 9th?:doh!:

People debate whether Soria should be an awesome closer or an average starter...at least as a starter we will see him more than once a week.:thumb:

KcMizzou
04-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I would have been happy with Cruz doing the 7th & 8th with Soria in the 9th but why not Cruz in the 7th with Soria in the 8th & 9th?:doh!:

People debate whether Soria should be an awesome closer or an average starter...at least as a starter we will see him more than once a week.:thumb:He hasn't pitched in like eight days now. Which makes the fact that he wasn't used all the more frustrating.

KChiefs1
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
It’s getting harder for the Royals to keep right-hander Luke Hochevar at Class AAA Omaha after his latest performance: one run and five hits in eight innings Monday in a 7-2 victory over Albuquerque.

Hochevar improved to 3-0 through three starts and lowered his ERA to 1.89. He also threw 72 strikes in 107 pitches.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
It’s getting harder for the Royals to keep right-hander Luke Hochevar at Class AAA Omaha after his latest performance: one run and five hits in eight innings Monday in a 7-2 victory over Albuquerque.

Hochevar improved to 3-0 through three starts and lowered his ERA to 1.89. He also threw 72 strikes in 107 pitches.

Mr. KChiefs1, we'd like you to report to the office. We've found that you've plagiarized your last post.

Love,
CP

:)

KcMizzou
04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Mr. KChiefs1, we'd like you to report to the office. We've found that you've plagiarized your last post.

Love,
CP

:)LMAO

KChiefs1
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Love,
CP

:)

How many swats do I have to get?:p

T-post Tom
04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Trey Hillman soon to unseat Lynn Elliot as most hated KC sports figure.

KChiefs1
04-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Rob Neyer on Hillman:

Hillman's odd percentages (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sweetspot/0-1-80/Hillman-s-odd-percentages.html) [/URL]
April 20, 2009 11:13 AM

The Royals are tied for first place. They've lost five games. Three of those games have been lost by Kyle Farnsworth (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=sweetspotadmin&at=7&vid=1240240412704). Sunday afternoon, the Royals blew a 5-3 lead in the last two innings, and their ace closer -- who hadn't pitched in nearly a week -- never escaped the bullpen. Care to wallow in the pity of it all? You've got your choice between Jazayerli (http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2009/04/another-injury-to-overcome.html) and Posnanski (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/04/19/sunday-night-thought-of-the-week/#more-1931). I don't recommend either unless you have a limitless capacity -- as you know, neither Joe nor Rany is shy with the ol' word count -- for reading about managers who don't know what they're doing.
And then there's this, from Bob Dutton (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1151000.html):
Hillman said he never considered using All-Star closer Joakim Soria (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28688) instead of Farnsworth to start the ninth inning because it was a tie game. "Not on the road,” Hillman said. "At home, yes. But not on the road. Just simply because the percentages are against you in that situation.”
The Royals entered the Texas ninth knowing they needed, as the road team, at least six outs to get a victory. Hillman said he wasn't willing to extend Soria beyond "one up and down” because of a lack of work in recent days.
The problem now is Soria hasn't pitched since April 13. And because of Monday's open date in the schedule, he will have at least seven days of rest before his next appearance.
That matches his longest down time logged last season, which is something Hillman has said repeatedly that he hoped to avoid.

Got that? You just can't use your best pitcher in a close road game because the percentages are against you. Yes, folks: this is the manager who is going to lead the Kansas City club out of the wilderness.

Not that we're bitter or anything.

[URL]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sweetspot/0-1-80/Hillman-s-odd-percentages.html

BWillie
04-20-2009, 10:21 PM

Royals are just being cheap. Hochevar will be up after May 1st, count on it.

KcMizzou
04-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Trey Hillman soon to unseat Lynn Elliot as most hated KC sports figure.Unlikely. He's got 150 games to make nice with the fans. Worst case for him... mild dislike.

Big difference between an NFL kicker in a home playoff game, and an MBL Manager over the course of a season. If Hillman fails, he's just another Tony Muser, Pena, etc.

T-post Tom
04-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Unlikely. He's got 150 games to make nice with the fans. Worst case for him... mild dislike.

Big difference between an NFL kicker in a home playoff game, and an MBL Manager over the course of a season. If Hillman fails, he's just another Tony Muser, Pena, etc.

Pardon the hyperbole, but talk to me after Hillman is fired.

alnorth
04-20-2009, 10:30 PM
I agree with KcMizzou. Hillman is a Farnsworth lesser role/demotion, a Greinke 18-win season, and a successful Hochevar rookie year away from having a mostly neutral reputation. Liked by casual fans, looked at with wary suspicion by the die-hards, etc.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Worst case for him... mild dislike.

that is completely false. anybody who is a royals fan should already hate his guts.

Demonpenz
04-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry if I don't hate a guy's guts who is in first place
THE FIRST PLACE MOTHER FUCKING ROYALS HOLY FUCKING SHIT
where's the asprin.

DeezNutz
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
In the case of Hillman, ignorance (for the casual fan) is indeed going to be bliss.

Do NOT look behind the curtain.

Fish
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Sorry if I don't hate a guy's guts who is in first place
THE FIRST PLACE MOTHER ****ING ROYALS HOLY ****ING SHIT
where's the asprin.

The asprin is on the ship! Let's get to it!!

Demonpenz
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
lolz

Demonpenz
04-21-2009, 11:55 AM
In the case of Hillman, ignorance (for the casual fan) is indeed going to be bliss.

Do NOT look behind the curtain.

i did, and ZANE SMITH IS BEHIND THERE OMG!

DeezNutz
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
i did, and ZANE SMITH IS BEHIND THERE OMG!

Alou pissed on him when they passed each other via airplane.