PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thigpen has a fan in the media

shaneo69
04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Tyler Thigpen would rather not be forgotten
By MJD
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am EDT

Odd as this may sound, one of the bright spots of the 2008 NFL season for me was watching Chiefs quarterback Tyler Thigpen. The rambunctious little devil came out of nowhere to start 11 games for Kansas City after Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle were hurt, and the Tyler Thigpen experience was magnificent.

By all realistic measures, we should have never heard of Tyler Thigpen. He was a 7th round draft pick. He played his college football at noted football powerhouse Coastal Carolina. He was third on the depth chart on a team that didn't have any good quarterbacks.

But necessity forced the Chiefs to put Thigpen under center, and while it may be an overstatement to say that he was magnificent, I'm going to say it anyway: Thiggers was magnificent.

We're talking about a two-win team here, being led by a 7th-round draft pick at quarterback, with no running game or defense supporting him, and he finished with 18 touchdowns against 12 interceptions? Bananas. Ben Roethlisberger, David Garrard, or Joe Flacco would have all gladly traded their TD-to-INT ratio with Tyler Thigpen last year. Add three rushing touchdowns onto Thigpen's total, as well as a 6.2 yards-per-carry average, and Tyler Thigpen should be a full-fledged phenomenon at this point.

Perception's a funny thing, though. If it wasn't Coastal Carolina, and it was some powerhouse SEC school; and if it wasn't the seventh round, and was the number seven overall instead, what would we all be saying about Thigpen right now?

He'd be adored. He'd be revered. He'd be the quarterback of the future. We'd all be wearing t-shirts that read, "Thigpen is mightier than the sword." Or something more clever.

But instead, Thigpen's just hoping to be given a chance. He's not going to be, of course, because the Chiefs gave up a draft pick and a $14 million paycheck to get Matt Cassel. When you get right down to it, though, which is more impressive: Cassel's 89.4 QB rating last year, with the Patriots roster and coaching staff supporting him, or Thigpen's 76.0, while getting almost no help at all?

I don't know. Even if you answer Cassel, is it by enough or a margin that Thigpen shouldn't even be considered for the starting spot?

Thigpen hopes not, and so do I, but in the back of our minds, I suspect that we both know the truth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tyler-Thigpen-would-rather-not-be-forgotten?urn=nfl,157549

Rain Man
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Interesting article by the multi-talented Maurice Jones-Drew.

I hope Thigpen makes a good run at the starting job, frankly, and may the best man win.

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Thigpen has never been arrested or beaten his girlfriend. He tries his best to play the game and took all the hits without crying. Good luck to him, i hope he succeeds.

RealSNR
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I'll take "Thigpenis Mightier" for $1000, Trebek.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Tyler Thigpen would rather not be forgotten
By MJD
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am EDT

Odd as this may sound, one of the bright spots of the 2008 NFL season for me was watching Chiefs quarterback Tyler Thigpen. The rambunctious little devil came out of nowhere to start 11 games for Kansas City after Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle were hurt, and the Tyler Thigpen experience was magnificent.

By all realistic measures, we should have never heard of Tyler Thigpen. He was a 7th round draft pick. He played his college football at noted football powerhouse Coastal Carolina. He was third on the depth chart on a team that didn't have any good quarterbacks.

But necessity forced the Chiefs to put Thigpen under center, and while it may be an overstatement to say that he was magnificent, I'm going to say it anyway: Thiggers was magnificent.

We're talking about a two-win team here, being led by a 7th-round draft pick at quarterback, with no running game or defense supporting him, and he finished with 18 touchdowns against 12 interceptions? Bananas. Ben Roethlisberger, David Garrard, or Joe Flacco would have all gladly traded their TD-to-INT ratio with Tyler Thigpen last year. Add three rushing touchdowns onto Thigpen's total, as well as a 6.2 yards-per-carry average, and Tyler Thigpen should be a full-fledged phenomenon at this point.

Perception's a funny thing, though. If it wasn't Coastal Carolina, and it was some powerhouse SEC school; and if it wasn't the seventh round, and was the number seven overall instead, what would we all be saying about Thigpen right now?

He'd be adored. He'd be revered. He'd be the quarterback of the future. We'd all be wearing t-shirts that read, "Thigpen is mightier than the sword." Or something more clever.

But instead, Thigpen's just hoping to be given a chance. He's not going to be, of course, because the Chiefs gave up a draft pick and a $14 million paycheck to get Matt Cassel. When you get right down to it, though, which is more impressive: Cassel's 89.4 QB rating last year, with the Patriots roster and coaching staff supporting him, or Thigpen's 76.0, while getting almost no help at all?

I don't know. Even if you answer Cassel, is it by enough or a margin that Thigpen shouldn't even be considered for the starting spot?

Thigpen hopes not, and so do I, but in the back of our minds, I suspect that we both know the truth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Tyler-Thigpen-would-rather-not-be-forgotten?urn=nfl,157549

I know guys bash Thigpen, but that is just because he was brought in under Herm and Dick Curl was the reason he was here. I am not saying he is 'great', but he is the kind of guy that anyone can root for. But, then again, so is Cassel.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and to see if Thigpen goes somewhere else and does well.

RealSNR
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I know guys bash Thigpen, but that is just because he was brought in under Herm and Dick Curl was the reason he was here. I am not saying he is 'great', but he is the kind of guy that anyone can root for. But, then again, so is Cassel.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and to see if Thigpen goes somewhere else and does well.Thigpen's also got to realize that if you're a 7th round QB, you don't just toss a few touchdowns while making plenty of mistakes and expect the team to have complete confidence in you. Why should they? Cassel had a much better year and I don't know if I trust HIM.

Micjones
04-20-2009, 12:50 PM
If he starts over our $14 million dollar QB I will wear a Raiders jersey for 7 straight days.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and to see if Thigpen goes somewhere else and does well.

I bash Thigpen because he deserves it.

It doesn't have anything to do with who brought him in or who coached him.

We had to design a gimmick offense in order for him to not be a completel disaster.

Brock
04-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I like Thigpen, but come on. There are throws he just can't make.

The_Doctor10
04-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Thigpen's also got to realize that if you're a 7th round QB, you don't just toss a few touchdowns while making plenty of mistakes and expect the team to have complete confidence in you. Why should they? Cassel had a much better year and I don't know if I trust HIM.

Ok, but just because you're a 3rd round pick with a rocket arm who never managed to stay on the field for an entire game, the team and fans should have complete confidence in you?

Please.

The_Doctor10
04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I bash Thigpen because he deserves it.

It doesn't have anything to do with who brought him in or who coached him.

We had to design a gimmick offense in order for him to not be a completel disaster.

18 TDs and 12 INTs. His numbers were almost identical to Flacco's. You trade off Flacco's arm strength for Thigpen's running ability.

There are throws downfield Rivers isn't adept at either, yet San Diego seems to have no problem with him as their starter.

BryanBusby
04-20-2009, 05:20 PM
If he starts over our $14 million dollar QB I will wear a Raiders jersey for 7 straight days.

Only if its a Todd Marinovich jersery.

Thig Lyfe
04-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I obviously like Thigpen, but I wouldn't say he was magnificent. He made a shitty season fun to watch, and it would be nice if he had an opportunity to start somewhere, but I'm not crazy enough to suggest he's a QBotF.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 05:48 PM
18 TDs and 12 INTs. His numbers were almost identical to Flacco's. You trade off Flacco's arm strength for Thigpen's running ability.

There are throws downfield Rivers isn't adept at either, yet San Diego seems to have no problem with him as their starter.

San Diego runs a pro offense, not the half-cocked abortion we ran last year...

smittysbar
04-20-2009, 05:58 PM

So you think Thigpen is a starter in this league?

RealSNR
04-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Ok, but just because you're a 3rd round pick with a rocket arm who never managed to stay on the field for an entire game, the team and fans should have complete confidence in you?

Please.Uhhh... when did I ever talk about Croyle?

And by the way, the team chose Croyle because he runs a pro offense, and he was the best QB talent-wise that was on the roster. Yes, he played better than Huard. It turns out his bones are actually made out of my grandmother's fine bone china, and gets crushed anytime he takes a small hit.

That was Herm. His staff should have looked at his body type and his inability to stay on the field, and instead gone a different direction. We should have signed a free agent after Matt Ryan got drafted two spots ahead of us. Instead Herm ended up with the clusterfuck that was last season. Between Croyle and Huard, the games were a mess. Thigpen didn't help.

Either way, Thigpen is a longshot to do anything in this league. There are spread QBs like Graham Harrel who at least possess accuracy. Thigpen doesn't even have that.

He's going to have to work his ass off to make the successful transition to running a pro offense. That's his only shot. And that's a huge task, that I and many others (including the coaches) don't think he's capable of.

salame
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
I really love mjd

MoreLemonPledge
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I really love mjd

FYI, That's not Maurice Jones-Drew. He's a regular writer for Yahoo.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
"Odd as this may sound, one of the bright spots of the 2008 NFL season for me was watching Chiefs quarterback Tyler Thi-".

NO!%(/

salame
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
FYI, That's not Maurice Jones-Drew. He's a regular writer for Yahoo.

That doesn't change my passion for the real Pocket Hercules

T-post Tom
04-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Thigpen has never been arrested or beaten his girlfriend. He tries his best to play the game and took all the hits without crying. Good luck to him, i hope he succeeds.

Sounds good to me. Ya gotta like that "rambunctious little devil". :)

LaChapelle
04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Herm Edwards is a curse on QBs. Some how Thigpen had an antidote. Weak as it may have been, the mojo went in reverse.