PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Signs the Chiefs will NOT draft Curry...

DaWolf
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Dropping hints and stirring the pot: Why the Chiefs will NOT draft Aaron Curry (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/782)

So a few things happened over the weekend that made me, at least for this moment, change my mind that Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry is the obvious, slam-dunk choice for the Chiefs to draft Saturday if they hold onto their No. 3 overall pick.

Yes, it's still possible, and Kansas City doesn't need linebackers less after the weekend and Mike Vrabel's absence from the team's voluntary minicamp. But anyway, back on topic: The Chiefs, at least to me, are a lot more likely to take an offensive tackle in that spot than they were five days ago.
In fairness, I get the feeling that the Chiefs' draft board was completed weeks ago. Things are always subject to change, but the way it works is that general manager Scott Pioli and his staff of merry men would generate a list of players, all of them ranked by how much the Chiefs want them. It was under a different regime, of course, but as it happened last year, the top overall player on the Chiefs' board was Glenn Dorsey. He fell to No. 5, and Kansas City got him, but the point was that if the Chiefs had the No. 1 overall pick, they'd determined that Dorsey was the best player out there, and they'd have taken him regardless of draft position.

The top player is generated by a combination of talent, scouting reports, value and, I'd suspect, need. So who's at the top of the Chiefs' draft board this year? For months, I've written here that it must be Curry. HAS to be Curry. NEEDS to be Curry. And maybe it still is Curry.

But here are the things I saw this weekend that makes me think that, well, it might not be Curry holding up a Chiefs jersey come mid-afternoon Saturday.
- Brian Waters was a no-show. The Pro Bowl guard's absence underscored how far the Chiefs' offensive line still has to go. It's unclear yet whether Waters will be on this team when it lines up in the fall, and at the risk of speculating here, Waters' decision to skip Todd Haley's first minicamp was a bad sign for a team whose first priority is to get everyone on the same page. Without Waters, the Chiefs have exactly one offensive lineman they can realistically count on beyond this year and possibly next: Branden Albert.

Factor Waters out of the equation, and here's the team's starting offensive line:
LT Albert
LG Wade Smith (who replaced Waters in first-team drills over the weekend)
C Rudy Niswanger
RG Mike Goff
RT Damion McIntosh

- Curry's agent was in Detroit this weekend. This is almost definitely a negotiating ploy from the Lions to quarterback Matthew Stafford's agent. It's designed to give the Lions a little more negotiating power as they try to seal a contract with whomever they'll make the No. 1 pick. They want that player signed before Saturday's draft, and sometimes teams have to play dirty. But it wouldn't be a shock if Detroit did take Curry at No. 1 overall. He's the safest pick in the draft, according to some experts, and as we learned three years ago when Houston took defensive end Mario Williams at No. 1 overall, sometimes it's a smart play to take a defender in that spot. To that end, the Chiefs might not even get the chance to draft Curry.

- Pioli's close eye on the offensive line. I just don't think that, more than 20 years after his final snap as a college lineman, Pioli is still so interested in watching an NFL line that he hovers around it for at least three practices. Pioli was measuring everything during the three practices reporters were allowed to attend this weekend, but no unit got his attention quite like the offensive line. He stood uncomfortably close at times, not talking to anyone or smiling, and carrying with him a notepad and pen. It's possible that Pioli was sizing up exactly what the Chiefs have -- and likely finding out it's not as much as most NFL teams would like.

- Matt Cassel's potential. It's clear that Cassel will be the Chiefs' starting quarterback, barring a catastrophe, if for no other reason than his $14 million guaranteed salary. But there's more to Cassel than that, including one of the most accurate arms the Chiefs have had on their roster in years. I saw Cassel make one bad throw the entire weekend, when he overthrew Bobby Engram on a corner post route Sunday. The trajectory on his passes is low and tight, and his passes generally arrive near receivers' numbers. It's something the Chiefs just haven't had in a long time, and I get the feeling they don't want anything to interfere with that.

So with those four observations in mind, perhaps the Chiefs' greatest need really is offensive tackle. If they draft Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith at No. 3, yes, that's a high price for a right tackle -- even if Albert is shifted to somewhere other than left tackle -- but it also would almost definitely lock in a pair of oustanding bookend linemen for the next five to seven years. There's an incredible market for that in the NFL, and the value of two marquee tackles is as high as anything these days.

The Chiefs need a linebacker and a pass rusher and a lot of other things. But after watching those guys this weekend, some things changed in my mind. We'll see Saturday how Pioli's mind processes it.

Submitted by Kent Babb on April 20, 2009 - 10:30am.

Micjones
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Trade down.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
For months, I've written here that it must be Curry. HAS to be Curry. NEEDS to be Curry. And maybe it still is Curry.

I didn't realize that Babb posted here. Welcome, Kent.

Tribal Warfare
04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Trade down.

This shall happen

RealSNR
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd rather take Curry if we're going to shoot our load at a fuggin right tackle, or move Albert over to the right side. That's just plain dumb. Take all the friggin linemen you want after the 3rd pick, but if trading down doesn't work, there's no position on the line worthy of that money

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Pioli was measuring everything during the three practices ...

He stood uncomfortably close at times, not talking to anyone or smiling, and carrying with him a notepad and pen.
This gives me wood.

dirk digler
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I felt the same thing after someone posted how the O-Line lined up on Saturday. There is no fucking way we go into the first game with that abortion of an offensive line and I am not counting on Waters being here.

DaWolf
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
This gives me wood.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/86026767.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19374ECC42B7A3FA40D5163D80FA189982BE30A760B0D811297
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/86026765.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19374ECC42B7A3FA40D664F1C157723B6B1E30A760B0D811297
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/04/19/23/708-CHIEFS_SP_041909_DRE_498f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

DTLB58
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
First I wanna trade down.

After that, We have so many needs on this team I would not be upset with DL,OL or LB....with a trade down.

I am in the consensus though I believe that it would be foolish to move Albert from LT.

Buehler445
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Trade down.

Truth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Trade down.
Move Gonzalez off the roster.

#12, #18, #55
Giddy up!

Buehler445
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
If they move Albert, I will be furious.
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones
04-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You and me both.

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/86026767.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19374ECC42B7A3FA40D5163D80FA189982BE30A760B0D811297
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/86026765.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19374ECC42B7A3FA40D664F1C157723B6B1E30A760B0D811297
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/04/19/23/708-CHIEFS_SP_041909_DRE_498f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg
A football guy at GM!!!

JIMP

Coogs
04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
I got this from BobGretz.com...

OFFENSIVE LINE NOTES

With Brian Waters not in attendance, the Chiefs No. 1 offensive line looked like this during the camp: LT-Branden Albert, LG-Wade Smith, C-Rudy Niswanger, RG-Mike Goff and RT-Damion McIntosh.

The No. 2 offensive line was: LT-Andrew Carnahan, LG-Tavares Washington, C-Brian De La Puente, RG-Edwin Harrison and RT-Barry Richardson.

Does anybody here know what happened to Herb Taylor?

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Seeing the Star pimp Curry means the Chiefs wont take him.
Posted via Mobile Device

penguinz
04-20-2009, 01:11 PM
NE has what... 1 first rd pick on their o-line? Why would Pioli start spending 1sts on OL now?

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Good question. He still shows up on the roster at KcChief.com

Micjones
04-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Guessing he just wasn't there.
Not a good sign though either way.

DaWolf
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I felt the same thing after someone posted how the O-Line lined up on Saturday. There is no ****ing way we go into the first game with that abortion of an offensive line and I am not counting on Waters being here.

I think we're trading down if we can find a trade partner. We have a lot of holes obviously.

It's also nice to read about the accuracy and catchability Cassel has been displaying on his throws...

Coogs
04-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Guessing he just wasn't there.
Not a good sign though either way.

Supposedly, the only three not there were TG, BW, and Vrabel.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Just because Carl was incompetent doesn't mean that Pioli is or has to be because he's assumed Carl's old job.

DaWolf
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM

My guess would be he must have been held out due to injury, because he's still listed on the roster and I highly doubt he would have been demoted to third team...

BryanBusby
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
My guess would be he must have been held out due to injury, because he's still listed on the roster and I highly doubt he would have been demoted to third team...

I think somewhere in Blob Gretzs notes, Herb Taylor was one of the ones held out due to injury.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I would not be upset if we drafted Monroe and put Albert at the RT. The only 3 things i see for the Chiefs is Monroe, Crabtree or trade down.

dirk digler
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I think we're trading down if we can find a trade partner. We have a lot of holes obviously.

It's also nice to read about the accuracy and catchability Cassel has been displaying on his throws...

I agree about trading down but I imagine one of our first round picks will be an offensive lineman.

BryanBusby
04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I would not be upset if we drafted Monroe and put Albert at the RT. The only 3 things i see for the Chiefs is Monroe, Crabtree or trade down.

I think people are too quick to assume Monroe would beat Branden Albert out as Left Tackle.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I think people are too quick to assume Monroe would beat Branden Albert out as Left Tackle.

He beat him out in college and they made Albert play LG. This dude supposedly has hall of fame talent or someshit. He would boot him there in a heartbeat. Plus you wouldnt draft a guy at 3 for him to play right tackle.

the coaches traded for our "Franchise" quarterback. I think the first thing they want to make sure is that he's protected. This pick to me makes alot of sense.

BryanBusby
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
He beat him out in college and they made Albert play LG. This dude supposedly has hall of fame talent or someshit. He would boot him there in a heartbeat. Plus you wouldnt draft a guy at 3 for him to play right tackle.

the coaches traded for our "Franchise" quarterback. I think the first thing they want to make sure is that he's protected. This pick to me makes alot of sense.

Who gives a flying fuck what happened at Virginia? Al Groh is a college level coach for a reason.

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM
He beat him out in college and they made Albert play LG.

Albert was moved to guard bc he was more athletic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Kent Babb: "I like drooly retard sex."

bowener
04-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Death by mediocrity.

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 01:39 PM
If Andre Smith wasn't acting like a complete dumbass i could definitely see us trading down and picking him for our right tackle. I think Pioli wants to make sure Cassel has every chance to look good.

bowener
04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
So, after reading BABBel I was struck with one continuing thought...

If Waters seems to be a no show, and possibly off the team, the center position blows a bag of dicks, and the RT is basically the loosest hole in KC metro, how exactly does that equate to fixing the OLine by drafting a RT for NEED?

It would seem a more wise proposition if your ultimate goal was to build the best OL to draft a LT, play them at LT, move Albert to LG, Goff as Center, if Waters remains, force him to play RG again, and draft a stud RT in the 3rd, or pick up a veteran that gets cut later this offseason. That would seem like a more sturdy line than having a stud LT, and a stud LT playing RT,with absolute shit between them.

I am not a fan of doing that of course, and I think, barring a trade, Waters is a Chief. But the Chiefs have bigger needs than wasting a #3 on RT.

philfree
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
If Andre Smith wasn't acting like a complete dumbass i could definitely see us trading down and picking him for our right tackle. I think Pioli wants to make sure Cassel has every chance to look good.

So the last we've heard about A. Smith is that he's hired a new agent?
Sounds like he had the wrong agent to start with so maybe this was a good move. Besides that there no news on him? I'd like to know his current weight and if he's working out and such.

PhilFree:arrow:

bowener
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Well, in all logical sense, as the GM, he should want Cassel to look good. That would most likely mean he is doing good, and that would mean that he is helping the Chiefs win games.

Coogs
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I think somewhere in Blob Gretzs notes, Herb Taylor was one of the ones held out due to injury.

Here is what I was able to come up with...

There were 66 players on the field. That included two kickers who are trying out: Carlos Martinez and Mark Myers.

The only players not visible on the field during that window of opportunity were TE Tony Gonzalez, LG Brian Waters and OLB Mike Vrabel.

There were seven players there who were limited or not taking part in practice because of injury rehab. Those players were: QB Brodie Croyle, RB Kolby Smith, CB Maurice Leggett, DL Alfonso Boone, DT Glenn Dorsey, DE Turk McBride and DT T.J. Turner.

beavis
04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
You guys do realize we have more picks than just #3. It's entirely possible he'll fortify the OL later on in the draft. I for sure think they'll take a guard somewhere.

BryanBusby
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Here is what I was able to come up with...

Oh shit. I've got nothing than.....

the Talking Can
04-20-2009, 01:58 PM
we need a RT

so trade down and draft a fucking RT

is that so fucking hard to understand?

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm all for building a strong OL. I hope we draft Monroe ,then let the coaches figure out how they line up. If Cassel is such an accurate passer as they say, this will make our team better than any other pick at #3.

chiefscafan
04-20-2009, 02:00 PM
No way we draft andre smith I would be shocked. They asked pioli during the combine about smith's absence he basically said he wouldn't be someone the chiefs would be interested in because of questions of work ethic.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh shit. I've got nothing than.....

You're not related to ex Royal, Steve Busby are you ?

Coogs
04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of trade downs happening and having us wind up with about 5 total picks betwenn the end of the first round and the top of the 3rd round. And I am just throwing names out there, so you are free to add your own favorites...

Alex Mack C
Duke Robinson G
Gerald Codogan OT
Jasper Brinkley MLB
Cody Brown OLB

Something along those lines would really do wonders IMO.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Babb said this morning on 810 that he thinks Stafford goes to the Lions and the Rams take either Monroe or Smith. He thinks the Chiefs take whichever of them is left.

He saw Pioli taking notes in close proximity to the OL during the mini-camp and from that, he draws the conclusion they're taking a tackle at #3.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:16 PM

Which makes Monroe a complete waste of a pick.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I felt the same thing after someone posted how the O-Line lined up on Saturday. There is no ****ing way we go into the first game with that abortion of an offensive line and I am not counting on Waters being here.

We'll address the offensive line. It doesn't need to be done in the 1st round.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Babb said this morning on 810 that he thinks Stafford goes to the Lions and the Rams take either Monroe or Smith. He thinks the Chiefs take whichever of them is left.

He saw Pioli taking notes in close proximity to the OL during the mini-camp and from that, he draws the conclusion they're taking a tackle at #3.

http://www.thepeoplescube.com/red/richedit/upload/2k51daafa5c3.jpg

raybec 4
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM

LT is really the only OL spot you should try to fill in the first, we have a damn good one of those. We can get immediate starters in the other OL positions of need on the second day.

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
It makes complete sense that Pioli was studying the o-line extensively; this is the deepest o-line class in a long time. But it seems like a leap for Babb (who, admittedly, is a fucking idiot in all of his blog posts where he gets to do analysis/commentary) to think that it all means Pioli wants to address the O-line at #3.

RustShack
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You and me both.

Question. Say at LT Albert goes to one or two Pro Bowls, say at another position he goes to 10, and our new LT goes to say 10 himself. How pissed would you be to have Roaf and Shields back vs say Tait at LT? I'm not trying to turn this into a QB thing either, but for the people who still think we should take Stafford if he falls(I myself am in that group), wouldn't that be the same thing? Albert has one year of starting experience, as does Cassel(yes I know hes older, but not that old for a QB).

Otter
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I haven't broken out Photoshop for a long time but I think I'm going to have to combine this with some kind of Sopranos picture. Maybe some goons burying Carl in the background.

Can't believe it's over and there's competent people in place.

After all these years I feel like I'm going to wake up and Carl's going to be giving a speech welcoming Jimmy Raye and Gunther Cunningham back in an effort to "return to greatness".

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Question. Say at LT Albert goes to one or two Pro Bowls, say at another position he goes to 10, and our new LT goes to say 10 himself. How pissed would you be to have Roaf and Shields back vs say Tait at LT? I'm not trying to turn this into a QB thing either, but for the people who still think we should take Stafford if he falls(I myself am in that group), wouldn't that be the same thing? Albert has one year of starting experience, as does Cassel(yes I know hes older, but not that old for a QB).

Albert isn't going to go to 10 pro bowls as a guard. If this team moves him, he'll leave after his contract is up because SOME team will want him as a left tackle.

As for comparing the situation to Cassel, they are somewhat similar. The major difference (and it isn't small) is the Cassel did it with a stellar supporting cast. Albert did it with THIS team - this AWFUL team - and he did it well.

RustShack
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Albert isn't going to go to 10 pro bowls as a guard. If this team moves him, he'll leave after his contract is up because SOME team will want him as a left tackle.

As for comparing the situation to Cassel, they are somewhat similar. The major difference (and it isn't small) is the Cassel did it with a stellar supporting cast. Albert did it with THIS team - this AWFUL team - and he did it well.

Teams aren't going to break the bank on a player who has played OG for the last five years and give him elite money to play LT. I have no problem paying him like a premier OG. You guys act like hes going to become the highest paid LT ever no matter what happens.

While Albert did do it with a bad team, he also did it next to Brian Waters.

LaChapelle
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
The Seahawks taking Sanchez at #4, if he is there. Is slowly becoming the consensus pick. Hopefully discussing who the Chiefs pick at #3 becomes moot.

dirk digler
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM

I don't know about that especially with their brand new QB I doubt they want him to get destroyed.

Chiefnj2
04-20-2009, 02:41 PM

And in the Pistol formation which would have cut down on sacks.

Mecca
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
The Seahawks taking Sanchez at #4, if he is there. Is slowly becoming the consensus pick. Hopefully discussing who the Chiefs pick at #3 becomes moot.

That's where I thought he was going for about 2 months now.

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Some of us actually like to watch the players and form an opinion based off of that.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Teams aren't going to break the bank on a player who has played OG for the last five years and give him elite money to play LT. I have no problem paying him like a premier OG. You guys act like hes going to become the highest paid LT ever no matter what happens.

Brian Waters for the last 2 years has fell big time. Since Big Willie left, he's not played at the pro bowl level even though he got there. He got there on name alone.

I am sorry but the last few years Waters is overrated. He got manhandled quite a bit last year.

htismaqe

You really think if the Chiefs move Albert to guard, he's just gonna swallow his pride and smile?

Nobody has said ANYTHING about him being the highest-paid LT ever. But look at what Peters just got from Philly - LT's are INFINITELY more valuable than guards and don't think for a minute Albert doesn't know that.

And Brian Waters isn't anything special anymore. If anything, he benefitted from Albert.

dirk digler
Call me a true fan if you want but the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards O-Line in the first round. If that happens with a trade down all that much better.

Mecca
Some of us actually like to watch the players and form an opinion based off of that.

Do you find it funny that people still think Waters is awesome?

LaChapelle
04-20-2009, 02:45 PM

Here's hoping the Jets and Skins get in a bidding war. Not sure what ammo they have, may include players.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I don't know about that especially with their brand new QB I doubt they want him to get destroyed.

This is absolute bullshit reasoning.

Not taking another LT at #3 is in NO WAY an admission that they want to get Cassel killed. How many of the great offensive linemen that have played here (at positions other than left tackle) over the last 25 years were taken in the 1st round?

We can get GREAT offensive line help later in the draft.

htismaqe

He looked great right out of the gate, before the Pistol formation, and DESPITE missing time in TC due to injury.

Jerm
We keep hearing Curry, Monroe, Smith, etc. but I've just had this feeling for a while that it's going to be someone that no one is talking about (media or otherwise) in reference to the Chiefs.

Whether that's a trade or at #3, we shall see.

Mecca
Here's hoping the Jets and Skins get in a bidding war. Not sure what ammo they have, may include players.

Those teams are to low, you're talking the farm to move that high and the Skins don't even have a 2nd rounder.

Skyy God
04-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Teams do manage to keep their QBs from getting "destroyed" without investing a 1st round pick in a RT.

Other than Albert, we haven't drafted an o-lineman in the 1st 4 rounds since '03. This year, that will change.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Call me a true fan if you want but the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards O-Line in the first round. If that happens with a trade down all that much better.

Trading down isn't part of the discussion.

Kent Babb thinks we're taking a LEFT TACKLE at #3 overall.

Most of us, myself included, have no problem trading down and getting help on the line.

This is 100% about the #3 overall pick and screwing with one of the few good things we have on offense in Albert.

bowener
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I know this wont happen, but say Waters is traded for a late 2nd rounder.

If that were to take place on draft day or before, would CP feel somewhat more comfortable with taking a LT at #3 (and yes we CANNOT trade down in this scenario) and playing Albert at LG (where he could be dominant), Niswanger at Center (for now), Goff at RG, and the best RT we can draft in the 3rd round.

In the second we would take the best defender on the board.

I guess we could draft the best center (if worthy) in the 2nd round as well... spending our first 3 picks on the OL (one that should be able to play together for several seasons to come).

Honestly, there is no way I can look at drafting a LT at #3 and feel good about it... it just feels like a waste, but this scenario seems like one of the best ways.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I'd rather take Curry if we're going to shoot our load at a fuggin right tackle, or move Albert over to the right side. That's just plain dumb. Take all the friggin linemen you want after the 3rd pick, but if trading down doesn't work, there's no position on the line worthy of that money

I think all the Curry supporters are basically thinking the same way. Curry isn't ideal, but he would be the best available option.

The only other players worth of the #3 overall pick are tackles.

Mecca
04-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I'll throw this up 1 more time, point to me a team that has 2 1st rounders on its line that they themselves drafted...then you can use the 2 if they came in FA or 1 did just make sure you say that.

Very very few teams burn 1st rounders on OL especially 2 of them.

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Its really evident that he hasn't been the past couple of seasons. He's getting the Pro Bowl nods off of reputation at this point.

Mecca
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
I think all the Curry supporters are basically thinking the same way. Curry isn't ideal, but he would be the best available option.

The only other players worth of the #3 overall pick are tackles.

It's questionable because of his position. He's no different than the top traditional backer that is available in every draft they just usually go around 10 not 3.

Deberg_1990
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
I'll throw this up 1 more time, point to me a team that has 2 1st rounders on its line that they themselves drafted...then you can use the 2 if they came in FA or 1 did just make sure you say that.

Funny that u mention that. The Chiefs had two former #1's for a few years. Roaf and Tait.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I know this wont happen, but say Waters is traded for a late 2nd rounder.

If that were to take place on draft day or before, would CP feel somewhat more comfortable with taking a LT at #3 (and yes we CANNOT trade down in this scenario) and playing Albert at LG (where he could be dominant), Niswanger at Center (for now), Goff at RG, and the best RT we can draft in the 3rd round.

In the second we would take the best defender on the board.

I guess we could draft the best center (if worthy) in the 2nd round as well... spending our first 3 picks on the OL (one that should be able to play together for several seasons to come).

Honestly, there is no way I can look at drafting a LT at #3 and feel good about it... it just feels like a waste, but this scenario seems like one of the best ways.

I'm not in favor of moving Albert for any reason.

Furthermore, I don't think we NEED to address the defense in the 2nd round. That's working against the strength of this draft, which is very deep offensively.

Mecca
04-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Funny that u mention that. The Chiefs had two former #1's for a few years. Roaf and Tait.

They however did not give up a 1st round pick for Roaf so that falls into the 2nd example.

Deberg_1990
04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
They however did not give up a 1st round pick for Roaf so that falls into the 2nd example.

BTW, have u stated what you would do if you were the Chiefs and couldnt trade down? Would u take Sanchez?

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 02:58 PM

And how did that end?

Oh yeah - with Tait going to a team that wanted him as a LT.

Furthermore, the Chiefs were every bit as good moving the ball the year after Tait left as they were with him. They were 1st in points and 2nd in yards in 2003, and 1st in yards and 2nd in points in 2004.

Mecca
04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
BTW, have u stated what you would do if you were the Chiefs and couldnt trade down? Would u take Sanchez?

I probably would but that has more to do with what I personally think of him and what I think of Cassel.

rambleonthruthefog
04-20-2009, 03:01 PM
no unit got his attention quite like the offensive line. He stood uncomfortably close at times, not talking to anyone or smiling, and carrying with him a notepad and pen.

that was my favorite part of the read. i like just about everything i've ever heard about, or heard from Scott Pioli.

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
And how did that end?

Furthermore, the Chiefs were every bit as good moving the ball the year after Tait left as they were with him. They were 1st in points and 2nd in yards in 2003, and 1st in yards and 2nd in points in 2004.
Oh, my. This post is full of win.

dirk digler
04-20-2009, 03:05 PM
This is absolute bullshit reasoning.

Not taking another LT at #3 is in NO WAY an admission that they want to get Cassel killed. How many of the great offensive linemen that have played here (at positions other than left tackle) over the last 25 years were taken in the 1st round?

We can get GREAT offensive line help later in the draft.

After looking at that line that has to concern them which is my main point. Thigpen got hit alot last year even for being in the shotgun most of the season.

I guess the way I look at it is if they can't trade down do you take Curry or one of the 2 best Tackles?

chiefs1111
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I guess the way I look at it is if they can't trade down do you take Curry or one of the 2 best Tackles?

I think you could take Sanchez. That way if Cassel end up being a colossal flop,you have a back up plan. If Cassel happens to work out and shows he's not a one year wonder then you can resign him and then trade Sanchez....

RedThat
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I think the most important position on the offensive line that needs to be addressed is the center position. Im not sold on Niswanger.

TheGuardian
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Anyone who wants to take a tackle, either left or right, in the first round when the defense had the fewest number of sacks EVER for a season in the NFL and gave up rushing records to other teams............

kill yourself

Chiefnj2
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I think you could take Sanchez. That way if Cassel end up being a colossal flop,you have a back up plan. If Cassel happens to work out and shows he's not a one year wonder then you can resign him and then trade Sanchez....

You think you are going to get more than a 3rd round pick for Sanchez?

dirk digler
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM

I don't think that is an option but who knows.

chiefs1111
I think the most important position on the offensive line that needs to be addressed is the center position. Im not sold on Niswanger.

Agreed.In fact we need at least a couple offensive lineman out of this draft. Lucky for the Chiefs there will be good o-line talent in the mid to late rounds.

dirk digler
Anyone who wants to take a tackle, either left or right, in the first round when the defense had the fewest number of sacks EVER for a season in the NFL and gave up rushing records to other teams............

kill yourself

I would agree with you except I don't see any DE at the #3 spot worthy do you?

RedThat
04-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Agreed.In fact we need at least a couple offensive lineman out of this draft. Lucky for the Chiefs there will be good o-line talent in the mid to late rounds.

There are some really good centers in this draft.

I like Max Unger and Alex Mack. both of those guys I think will be 2nd rounders. Which I know the Chiefs don't have unless a trade down happens? I hope they trade down.

RedThat
04-20-2009, 03:20 PM

kill yourself

They gotta fix the trenches which is where Im hoping Pioli will place his focus on.

O-line and D-line needs to be addressed.

I think the sack total had to do a lot more then just personnel imo. I think it was more predictable playcalling, misuse of personnel, bad overall coaching.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't understand why Curry is in the mix. If you can't rush the passer, ie. you're not a game changer, you're not worth the number 3 pick at his position. Is the talent really that low this year?

ChiTown
04-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

They're not moving Albert. He's the best OT we have on the OL.

Buehler445
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM

I'm not going to the QB thing. The Cassel situation is way way WAY different than the LT thing.

Anyway, to look at Monroe or Smith and say he is 8 pro bowls better than Albert is rediculous. Just absurd. If I'm Pioli right now there is no way I came to that conlusion. We have film on Albert against NFL defenses in which he performed very well after injury and position change kept him out of the preseason, 2 games, and a metric fuckton of practice.

On those guys you have film of them playing well against college guys.

Physically, you can't ask for more from Albert. Experience would be a knock if these guys were in the same class, but Albert has shown he can play well in the NFL so that pretty much takes care of that.

I have no idea why anyone would think that the production difference between a new LT and Albert would be worth the 3rd pick. (I intentionally left the upgrade Albert would provide at guard out because a BAMF guard is cheap).
Posted via Mobile Device

RedThat
04-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't understand why Curry is in the mix. If you can't rush the passer, ie. you're not a game changer, you're not worth the number 3 pick at his position. Is that talent really that low this year?

Well, he is considered the best prospect, and safest pick in the draft according to the experts?

The talent level this year is not as strong as other years, doesn't mean can't get a good player though?

I disagree with your statement simply because the linebacker position is more then just rushing the passer..If he can do other things amazing well, then you can sure bet he is worth it to draft high.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 03:26 PM

I was one of the first in the with Seattle call...

Reaper16
04-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't understand why Curry is in the mix. If you can't rush the passer, ie. you're not a game changer, you're not worth the number 3 pick at his position. Is the talent really that low this year?
On defense? Yeah, pretty much. There are no elite DBs, no elite pass-rushing prospects.

Chiefnj2
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Go to NFL.COM and you can check out the Chiefs highlights by each game. Watch Atlanta and Carolina run right down KC's throats and see how many missed tackles and players out of position and/or being dragged. An ILB like Curry might not make highlight reels, but he can be an impact player and be a huge upgrade on this team.

RedThat
04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Go to NFL.COM and you can check out the Chiefs highlights by each game. Watch Atlanta and Carolina run right down KC's throats and see how many missed tackles and players out of position and/or being dragged. An ILB like Curry might not make highlight reels, but he can be an impact player and be a huge upgrade on this team.

I really think adding Zach Thomas and Vrabel should help in that area of weakness.

But Im hopng the Dline gets addressed, Im not sold on it at all.

vailpass
04-20-2009, 03:34 PM
I would agree with you except I don't see any DE at the #3 spot worthy do you?

Orakpo?

melbar
04-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Not saying OT is my first choice either, but as devils advocate Albert would be making a little less than premier G's in the league are currently making. If Pioli thinks he can upgrade LT and RG or RT at the same time, he didnt draft Albert and has no "loyalty" to keep him where the previous regime had him slated.

chiefs1111
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Orakpo?

3 is way too high for Orakpo

melbar
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM

I think it is low at the only other position we need (of high draft value) which would be a pass rushing end and there are some serious questions with those players. Curry hasnt shown that, but he is a playmaker in pretty much every other aspect of LB play. We dont have guys who can do anything well (save the new vets) which would make him an upgrade to our D, just not a specialist in an area of need. He is the BPA which you useually hear a lot more about around here, but he's not at one of the 3 typically high draft value positions.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I just dont see Pioli trading for Cassel and letting him take snaps from the same offensive line that knocked 2 quarter backs out and should have been a 3rd, but Thigpen is an ellusive bastard. I just dont see the Chiefs taking that chance. Yes, we could get someone in the 3rd or 4th, but i dont know if they want to trust someone with lesser talent on the oline.

Just think Pioli is going to draft a tackle. We cant afford for Cassell to get murderlized becuase of poor oline play.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I just dont see Pioli trading for Cassel and letting him take snaps from the same offensive line that knocked 2 quarter backs out and should have been a 3rd, but Thigpen is an ellusive bastard. I just dont see the Chiefs taking that chance. Yes, we could get someone in the 3rd or 4th, but i dont know if they want to trust someone with lesser talent on the oline.

Just think Pioli is going to draft a tackle. We cant afford for Cassell to get murderlized becuase of poor oline play.

Huard fucking quit. He's a pussy.

Croyle is made of fucking glass. He'd get hurt reading this post.

Shockingly, the only QB on the roster who had the physical and mental toughness to play was able to survive the season.

The O-line is going to be addressed. No worries. We once had a 3rd rounder work out ok, even in the bleak Carl years.

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't understand why Curry is in the mix. If you can't rush the passer, ie. you're not a game changer, you're not worth the number 3 pick at his position. Is the talent really that low this year?I was unaware that it had been established that Curry couldn't rush the passer. It's just an unknown right now.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Curry's ability to play QB is also unknown.

He might be great at it.

dirk digler
04-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Orakpo?

LMAO

Is that a joke?

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM

He might be great at it.
Quote the leap in logic, Nutlicker.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 04:02 PM
LMAO

Is that a joke?

Is the OT talk?

There is a zero percent chance that the Chiefs select an OT at #3.

Fuck it...I also think there is a zero percent chance KC selects Curry at the same spot.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Huard ****ing quit. He's a pussy.

Croyle is made of ****ing glass. He'd get hurt reading this post.

Shockingly, the only QB on the roster who had the physical and mental toughness to play was able to survive the season.

The O-line is going to be addressed. No worries. We once had a 3rd rounder work out ok, even in the bleak Carl years.

lol while i agree that they are fairly fragile, but they got beat up, but our oline was fucking bad. People need to go back and watch the last 2 years just to look how bad they were. So many times where guys didnt even get touched. I dont remember how many times i see Mackinsuck just totally whiff on a blocker and not even lay a fingernail on him.

Sure 3rd rounders can work out ok, but i just dont see Pioli hoping it works out. We need talent on that oline and now.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Quote the leap in logic, Nutlicker.

Thanks, Mr. Krab's ______.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
lol while i agree that they are fairly fragile, but they got beat up, but our oline was ****ing bad. People need to go back and watch the last 2 years just to look how bad they were. So many times where guys didnt even get touched. I dont remember how many times i see Mackinsuck just totally whiff on a blocker and not even lay a fingernail on him.

Sure 3rd rounders can work out ok, but i just dont see Pioli hoping it works out. We need talent on that oline and now.

I don't think he's hoping for shit.

I think he believes he knows what he's doing and he's going to get a player who can actually...play. There isn't any wishing and hoping going on at 1 Arrowhead with this crew. They're cock sure.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 04:06 PM

He might be great at it.

You need to come up with a better comparison then that. At least being a Linebacker he has done it before. Its part of his position.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't think he's hoping for shit.

I think he believes he knows what he's doing and he's going to get a player who can actually...play. There isn't any wishing and hoping going on at 1 Arrowhead with this crew. They're cock sure.

Thats why i think we are getting a LT with the 3rd pick in the NFL draft. Its a sure them for them. This is assuming we dont trade down. I cant really go that route yet, because someone has to offer the goods.

DaWolf
04-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I think Babb is overanalyzing here. Just because Pioli was watching the line closely doesn't relate to the #3 pick. It could relate to our third rounder for all we know. It's also a great way to set up a smokescreen. People who know Pioli say he leaves no detail unattended to. So I would not put it past him to invite the media in, and then pay close attention to the OL and take lots of notes to give the impression that he did. If he makes it look like he'd love to take Monroe there, it gives him more footing to ask for a lot more for a trade down. If he looks desperate to get out of there, people will lowball him...

smittysbar
04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't think there is a chance in hell that this team selects an OT with the 3rd, they are not that stupid.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 05:51 PM
After looking at that line that has to concern them which is my main point. Thigpen got hit alot last year even for being in the shotgun most of the season.

I'm sure they're VERY concerned, which is why Pioli was watching them so closely.

I'm also sure that they're smart enough to know that they can address it, and address is WELL, in the later rounds.

htismaqe
04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Not saying OT is my first choice either, but as devils advocate Albert would be making a little less than premier G's in the league are currently making. If Pioli thinks he can upgrade LT and RG or RT at the same time, he didnt draft Albert and has no "loyalty" to keep him where the previous regime had him slated.

And he'd be throwing away a perfectly good talent at LT to do it.

Pioli is a smart man, and knows that he can get an equally-talented upgrade at G without burning the #3 overall pick to do it.

Gravedigger
04-20-2009, 06:03 PM

Imagine if that was the guy standing next to you while you are making love to your woman with that look and notepad.... good times.

SAUTO
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Imagine if that was the guy standing next to you while you are making love to your woman with that look and notepad.... good times.

i wouldnt WANT to even imagine that. who would?

vailpass
04-20-2009, 06:06 PM

If ugly makes for a good GM I see several SB rings in KC's future.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
lol with people comenting on the looks of our front office, do they look at other teams too and see if their gm's are hot or something? haha I dont really look at guys n say , that dude is ugly or he's cute. Obviously if they say they are ugly they are looking for both side of it. lol

tmax63
04-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I could also safely assume that Pioli knows that the line, other than Albert and Goff, truly suck and is trying to make up his mind as to whether he needs to draft 2, 3, or 4 OL that can start day 1. I agree with those saying that the Chiefs will get protection for a 14 mil. QB. Who are they gonna get or when? I, like everyone here have no frigging idea because there's not just a new sheriff in town, there a whole new police department and we don't know how much they are gonna lean towards protecting an investment (Cassell) and if they grade positional value the same as everyone here.

Mecca
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
On defense? Yeah, pretty much. There are no elite DBs, no elite pass-rushing prospects.

Vontae Davis has supreme top 10 type of DB talent just everyone thinks he's a douchebag or something.

vailpass
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
lol with people comenting on the looks of our front office, do they look at other teams too and see if their gm's are hot or something? haha I dont really look at guys n say , that dude is ugly or he's cute. Obviously if they say they are ugly they are looking for both side of it. lol

Exactly. So if you hear several guys say about another guy"wow that motherfucker is ugly" you know he's gotta' be REAL ugly.

When I first saw pics of Pioli I thought they were photoshopped to make him look like an evil genius.No lie. Pioli is one unfortunate looking dude. I'll bet he has an excellent personality and a very good sense of humor.

SAUTO
04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Vontae Davis has supreme top 10 type of DB talent just everyone thinks he's a douchebag or something.

what did he run?

Mecca
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
4.4 something or another...

He has all of the things you like physical, he has size, comes up for the run, has recovery speed. It's weird to see him be so poorly thought of.

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
4.4 something or another...

He has all of the things you like physical, he has size, comes up for the run, has recovery speed. It's weird to see him be so poorly thought of.

Teams think he is like his douchebag brother.

CanadaKC
04-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I feel better pimping Curry than Sanchez...we'll trade down now cause we don't want to spend the money...:doh!:

SAUTO
04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Teams think he is like his douchebag brother.

oh he's vernon's brother, yep he's probably a douche:D

milkman
04-20-2009, 07:32 PM

I've told you this, over and over.

Monroe didn't keep Albert at LG, Monroe's lack of versatility and Albert's superior athlecism kept him at LG.

The Virginia offense relies heavily on pulling guards who can get out is space, and Albert was better and more athletic and more capable.

milkman
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM

More, from the McGinn thread in draft planet.

"In another draft none of these guys would be top five," Seattle Seahawks scout Charles Fisher said. "They're good players, but I wouldn't consider any of these guys as pure franchise cornerstones. Branden Albert is more athletic than all these guys."

milkman
04-20-2009, 07:40 PM

And Brain Waters looked like complete crap last year playing next to Damion McIntosh.

Albert did his job well, and he made Waters look better than he has in couple of years.

It wasn't the other way around.

milkman
04-20-2009, 07:43 PM

He's definitely declined, but his play was improved in '08 compared to the previous two years.

kcfanXIII
04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Dropping hints and stirring the pot: Why the Chiefs will NOT draft jesus christ. (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/782)

So a few things happened over ...

fixed it

dirk digler
04-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Is the OT talk?

There is a zero percent chance that the Chiefs select an OT at #3.

Fuck it...I also think there is a zero percent chance KC selects Curry at the same spot.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

If the Chiefs can't trade back I don't know who else they could pick except maybe the LSU DE if they don't go OT or Curry

soundmind
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Just judging by the guys we're bringing in for "official" workouts, I'd say its a lock we're VERY actively pursuing a trade, but intend to remain in the middle of the first round.

However, this article does do a good job of selling the OT pick I think. Truth is, our OLine sucks. The only players I'm willing to trust on there are Goff and Albert, and that's not enough. Yes, I agree, moving Albert is not ideal - but opportunity and need, along with talent and pricetag, the move just makes it an unsexy and incovenient, but rational choice - I won't hate that decision if its made (providing that OT is Monroe). They're looking at the same boards we're drooling over more or less, and anyone can see this draft is extremely weak on defense - while next season looks extremely deep. Best Player Available may well be an OT.

That said, I'm taking anything from this guy with a grain of salt, he's basically downing Dorsey for not being a pro bowler as a rookie.....meanwhile he played all 16 games for us, and improved over the year. I'm excited to see this kid play in 09, I have expectations, but I'm excited...

milkman
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Just judging by the guys we're bringing in for "official" workouts, I'd say its a lock we're VERY actively pursuing a trade, but intend to remain in the middle of the first round.

However, this article does do a good job of selling the OT pick I think. Truth is, our OLine sucks. The only players I'm willing to trust on there are Goff and Albert, and that's not enough. Yes, I agree, moving Albert is not ideal - but opportunity and need, along with talent and pricetag, the move just makes it an unsexy and incovenient, but rational choice - I won't hate that decision if its made (providing that OT is Monroe). They're looking at the same boards we're drooling over more or less, and anyone can see this draft is extremely weak on defense - while next season looks extremely deep. Best Player Available may well be an OT.

Kill yourself.

soundmind
04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Kill yourself.

Nah, go ahead, I'll catch up with you later.

melbar
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
And he'd be throwing away a perfectly good talent at LT to do it.

Pioli is a smart man, and knows that he can get an equally-talented upgrade at G without burning the #3 overall pick to do it.

Again this is not my choice, but I think the reasoning is that although Albert is a very good LT, he's been a LT for 1 year and a guy who's played it 4 years and maybe a top 5 pick in the draft could well be even better. Albert would also vastly improve any position on this line that he was given. Thus you dont "throw away talent", you improve 2 positions even if LT is just a slight improvement. J. Smith would probably be more of an improvement as opposed to Monroe imo,...but...

devils advocat...:evil:

BryanBusby
04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
J. Smith would probably be more of an improvement as opposed to Monroe imo,...but...

Ugh, I don't see it. He plays more stiff than you'd like to see from a probable #1 overall pick, lacks experience playing as a tackle (which seems to have been forgotten) and finishes off his blocks in a sloppy fashion. His potential is great, but I think his stock has been over hyped because of it.

Quesadilla Joe
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Jeff Otah was picked 3 spots behind Brandon Albert last year and he was Carolina's RT tackle. I don't see why Chief fans cry about being set at the tackle spots for 10 plus years.

lostcause
04-20-2009, 10:36 PM

New York Jets

salame
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
And Brain Waters looked like complete crap last year playing next to Damion McIntosh.

Albert did his job well, and he made Waters look better than he has in couple of years.

I agree with you about Waters, he made his money on Willie Roaf's hard work previously so there you go

salame
04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Jeff Otah was picked 3 spots behind Brandon Albert last year and he was Carolina's RT tackle. I don't see why Chief fans cry about being set at the tackle spots for 10 plus years.

Chris Williams for Chicago was selected 14th last year and he is a right tackle now ( I understand his back injury prevented him for getting a fair shot last year but he still will be a RT)

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Exactly. So if you hear several guys say about another guy"wow that mother****er is ugly" you know he's gotta' be REAL ugly.

When I first saw pics of Pioli I thought they were photoshopped to make him look like an evil genius.No lie. Pioli is one unfortunate looking dude. I'll bet he has an excellent personality and a very good sense of humor.

Not really, i dont ever look at guys n say that. To tell ya the truth, it never crosses my mind.

kcxiv
04-20-2009, 11:08 PM

Waters didnt look all that good during the whole year. He was beat tiem and time again even with Albert in there.

DeezNutz
04-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Cry?

By "cry" I assume you mean, "Some Chiefs fans proudly state the fact that we have one of the best young LT's in the game who will protect the blindside of the QB whom your HC desperately wants to plant soft little kisses on."

Mecca
04-21-2009, 12:29 AM
New York Jets

And they have won?

Fairplay
04-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Draft Sanchez and watch the trade negotiations for him go bonkers.

That would be awesome.

Cormac
04-21-2009, 06:23 AM
I think Babb is overanalyzing here. Just because Pioli was watching the line closely doesn't relate to the #3 pick. It could relate to our third rounder for all we know. It's also a great way to set up a smokescreen. People who know Pioli say he leaves no detail unattended to. So I would not put it past him to invite the media in, and then pay close attention to the OL and take lots of notes to give the impression that he did. If he makes it look like he'd love to take Monroe there, it gives him more footing to ask for a lot more for a trade down. If he looks desperate to get out of there, people will lowball him...

Exactly! It's not like Pioli only realised the depth of our OL needs after a voluntary mini-camp. He knows more about this whole team by now than all of us and the writers put together.

I'd bet he knows exactly who he's taking in the 1st round whether we trade down or not. He's probably working out 5th/6th round decisions now.

tiptap
04-21-2009, 07:05 AM
And how did that end?

When you break down the performances of Tait vs ex Tait years you find a big drop off in running plays to the right. The team compensated by having a big T end block on that side. Now the passing game didn't suffer but you want your RT to be a guy you can run behind.

EyePod
04-21-2009, 07:50 AM

HERBIE!!!!

http://www.priory-campus.co.uk/dreamweaver/andrewhall/images/herbie.jpg

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Again this is not my choice, but I think the reasoning is that although Albert is a very good LT, he's been a LT for 1 year and a guy who's played it 4 years and maybe a top 5 pick in the draft could well be even better. Albert would also vastly improve any position on this line that he was given. Thus you dont "throw away talent", you improve 2 positions even if LT is just a slight improvement. J. Smith would probably be more of an improvement as opposed to Monroe imo,...but...

Albert would have been a left tackle his 4 years in college if it hadn't have been for the fact that Eugene Monroe was an INFERIOR PLAYER who could only play one position.

You are throwing away talent. Because moving Albert will result in a DOWNGRADE at LT. Period.

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
When you break down the performances of Tait vs ex Tait years you find a big drop off in running plays to the right. The team compensated by having a big T end block on that side. Now the passing game didn't suffer but you want your RT to be a guy you can run behind.

You want to argue semantics. BS

The offense was every bit as good in 2004 and 2005 as it was in 2002 and 2003.

Tait at RT made absolutely ZERO difference in the grand scheme of things. Marcus Spears was actually better.

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM

Because we won't be set for 10 years.

Albert will bolt to be a LT somewhere. This idea that he's just gonna smile and accept his fate is ridiculous.

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
For the third time in as many weeks, notice that we've got a BRONCO fan here endorsing us taking a tackle.

Think about it.

Please stop the insanity.

bringbackmarty
04-21-2009, 09:39 AM
It all depends on what are trade down options are in terms of compensation this year, and what pioli plans to do with waters and gonzo. I think if we can't trade down, than a draft day trade is more likely for Gonzalez.

The worst possible scenario is keeping waters, and not being able to trade down. Waters is done, he sucks now, and he is unhappy. He's got to go. In this scenario, we might take monroe, and the most likely landing spot for albert is RT. Gonzo could stay or go in this scenario, but I doubt we use our compensation for him on the OL. His presumed 2nd round pick would almost certainly have to go towards defense if we draft monroe.

Second worst is trading waters, but still unable to trade down. Then I could see us taking monroe, moving albert to left guard, goff and niswanger switch, and we draft a RT rds 3-5. (assuming we get a 3 for waters, 2 for gonzo) The second for gonzo goes towards defense again.

If we pull off the trade down for multiple first rd picks this year or even a first and second this year, and move waters, then we draft defense for sure in the first round, probably with the first of those two picks, maybe even both. With whatever is left we select a right tackle, guard or possibly a center in the first four rounds. I have no idea who what our line would look like then. My guess is it would be improved with goff at left guard, niswanger at center or right guard, and rooks filling out the RT, and remaining c\g position.
I think it all depends on what our opportunities really are. I don't think anything pioli is doing right now is a smokescreen, because he doesn't know for sure what those opportunities are going to be. He simply has to be prepared for several scenarios and try and pull the trigger on a trade if he thinks he is getting enough value, hoping that someone he likes will be there after pick 10.

KCrockaholic
04-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Why wont this thread go away? I thought we were all sick of talking about Curry? I know I dont wanna discuss him again until the day before the draft.

smittysbar
04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I still don't understand why people think that Albert would be moved, he IS the KC Chiefs LT.

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I still don't understand why people think that Albert would be moved, he IS the KC Chiefs LT.

Because Monroe can't play anywhere BUT LT. If we draft Monroe, we have to move Albert or our #3 pick sits on the bench.

smittysbar
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Because Monroe can't play anywhere BUT LT. If we draft Monroe, we have to move Albert or our #3 pick sits on the bench.

That is exactly why they won't draft him. {I know you don't think they will take him either}

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
That is exactly why they won't draft him. {I know you don't think they will take him either}

I don't think they'll take him, but I can't say it doesn't worry me.

bowener
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Why wont this thread go away? I thought we were all sick of talking about Curry? I know I dont wanna discuss him again until the day before the draft.

This thread is about Curry? I thought it was about Monroe and moving Albert to RT.

EyePod
04-21-2009, 01:56 PM

The 2008 Eagles had 2 first round picks at the start of the season. Shawn Andrews and Tra Thomas. I'm going through every other team now and I will hopefully start a thread about whether or not this is likely.

Buehler445
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think they'll take him, but I can't say it doesn't worry me.

That's where I'm at. I know my fat ass wouldn't take him, but I am a little concerned that Pioli and Co may.

That's why I said I would be furious if they move Albert.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
The 2008 Eagles had 2 first round picks at the start of the season. Shawn Andrews and Tra Thomas. I'm going through every other team now and I will hopefully start a thread about whether or not this is likely.

The Jets have 2, I believe Seattle has 2 and once had 3...

What have these teams won?

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

They have a lot to show for it too.

rad
04-21-2009, 03:23 PM

We're talking about the third overall pick in the draft, not 19th......go away.

Mecca
04-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Jeff Otah was a college RT and I don't believe has ever had any illusions about playing LT.

rad
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Jeff Otah was a college RT and I don't believe has ever had any illusions about playing LT.

I heard your boy Raji didn't test positive after all....I'd be good with him at 3.

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
We're talking about the third overall pick in the draft, not 19th......go away.

Of course he wants us to take a tackle, he's a BRONCO fan...

EyePod
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
The Jets have 2, I believe Seattle has 2 and once had 3...

What have these teams won?

I'd say that the Eagles are the best. But their only issue was at WR. If they had an actual #1 receiver, they would have won the SB. But that's what you get when you're excited that Kevin Curtis is back from his injury and will be your #1 receiver. Everyone knows that #1 receivers can't be white anymore. It's in the rulebooks.

whoman69
04-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Does anyone realize how long its been since a team traded into the top 4 in the draft? Its too financially prohibitive for teams to be in those situations. Its the major reason why some of the teams show up there year after year. If that player is a bust it kills them in the cap for years to come.

Curry is the best player available and is in a position of need.