PDA

View Full Version : Football As draft looms....watch out for these trades.

The Franchise
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9477606/As-draft-looms,-watch-out-for-these-trades

Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez
Summary: Gonzalez has said he isn't actively pushing Chiefs management for a trade, but his actions last weekend spoke volumes. Gonzalez and left guard Brian Waters (see below) both skipped the first volunteer minicamp under new head coach Todd Haley.

Gonzalez has never won a playoff game during his 12 NFL seasons in Kansas City and may not have the chance again on a rebuilding Chiefs squad. Haley and new general manager Scott Pioli are trying to change the culture in Kansas City. Gonzalez's absence is undermining those efforts.

Likely compensation: A second-round pick. Gonzalez continued to produce at a high level in 2008 on an awful team. Gonzalez, though, is 33 years old and has said he is approaching whether to continue playing each season on a year-by-year basis.

Trade odds: Very good. Atlanta is mulling whether to make a trade offer. Gonzalez would provide veteran leadership and give second-year quarterback Matt Ryan a Hall of Fame-caliber receiving target. Gonzalez, though, may not be an ideal fit considering Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey usually doesn't showcase the tight end in his passing attack.

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson
Summary: In February, Johnson told a radio station that he would "rather play somewhere else." Johnson has since softened that stance and reported last weekend for the team's voluntary minicamp.

Likely compensation: A mid- to late-round pick. Consecutive rushing seasons of 1,700-plus yards in 2005 and 2006 landed Johnson a big contract extension. Since then, Johnson's productivity has plummeted because of injuries and disciplinary issues.

Trade odds: Poor. A release seems more likely than a trade if the Chiefs ultimately can't get Johnson to lower his 2009 base salary of $4.55 million. To his credit, Johnson is being a good soldier and has immersed himself in Kansas City's offseason program.

Other players who may be on the move:

Chiefs guard Brian Waters: Waters wants out after reportedly bumping heads with Pioli and Haley shortly after their arrival. But unless the Chiefs shore a weak offensive line in the draft, Waters may be too valuable to let go. Waters, 32, is coming off his fourth Pro Bowl selection in nine NFL seasons.

Mr. Krab
04-20-2009, 04:37 PM
I hope they trade Waters to Detroit and he ends his career never winning another game. He hasn't been playing well enough the last few years to warrant any kind of attitude.

Micjones
04-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I won't be surprised to see TG traded.
I doubt seriously that the other two players wear anything but Red & Gold for the 2009 season.

chop
04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I hope they trade Waters to Detroit and he ends his career never winning another game. He hasn't been playing well enough the last few years to warrant any kind of attitude.

Waters has been a model citizen for all of his career until the reported incident with the current coaching staff. I think you are being way too harsh on the guy.

ChiefsRoyalsMizzou
04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
trade him to Denver and have him lose 12 games a year :)

brandon
04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Anyone else see we signed a TE, Sean Ryan, today. Could this be a sign that Tonys getting traded.

htismaqe
04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone else see we signed a TE, Sean Ryan, today. Could this be a sign that Tonys getting traded.

We only had 2 on the roster in Tony and Cottam. Probably not really much to see there.

Mr. Krab
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Waters has been a model citizen for all of his career until the reported incident with the current coaching staff. I think you are being way too harsh on the guy.
Probably.

CoMoChief
04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Personally I think all 3 stay in the red n gold.

All 3 are critical to Cassell being successful here.

Coogs
04-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Personally I think all 3 stay in the red n gold.

All 3 are critical to Cassell being successful here.

Yep! TG at the very least, but the other two I would maybe not term as critical.