PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Some Cassel carry over from across the hall.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
We have little access to film of this guy, so I'll post anything from people who've watched him play for the majority if not all of 2008.

From one of three Pats fans at another Chiefs board:

That's what I've been saying, too, but Bru's telling me sometimes that accuracy leaves something to be desired as well. http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

I'd like to hear what zig, or andits, or any other Pats fan thinks. The stuff I've seen of Cassel seems to back up the "good short, bad long" stance, but I'd defer to someone who watches every game with religious zeal.

I watched every game last year except for the first game against Buffalo..Cassel had trouble even moving the chains at first ( I could go on and on about how he held the ball too long or took the sack with wide open guys in the end zone). I watched Welker adjust to many short throws from Cassel that would have/should have been incomplete. He had one of the better receivers in the league for the long passes too, but Moss was nearly non-existent in 95% of the games last season. Cassel couldn't even get a third and two against SD, and did even worse against Pitt once he started making mistakes.

I will say that he is careful about turning the ball over, his int rate was pretty low and several of those were because the receivers didn't catch the ball and it deflected into the D's hands..

Hard for me to say how he will fare behind KC's line and with their receivers tho..I have a feeling Gonzo may become KC's Welker..lol.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
More:

Ron Borges is an ass clown. http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif

imo Cassel is well worth high 2nd rounder while I think Vrabel was going to get released anyway. Trading him(Vrabel) -even "giving him away"- saved the Pats a few mil. Pioli probably knew this and Vrabel was spared the embarrassment of getting released. I figured Cassel would net us a 2nd plus a later round pick but 34 is fine by me. That gives the Pats 4 of the 1st 58 picks in the draft including 3 2nd rounders. They got a 2nd for a former 7th that was going to just fade into oblivion before he was forced into action. And they freed up cap space and got a little younger which is needed. We don't need a whole heck of a lot and have the picks and money to shore up the D. And the Chiefs get a potential above average QB and some vet leadership for the D.

Most of you know I predicted long ago( when he had the 2 400 yard games) Cassel would get tagged and traded. Many thought the Pats were stupid but it worked out great.

This isn't the mega deal it's made out to be but imo it's a good deal for both parties. I'm on record as a Cassel believer and I hope he proves me right. I think the kid can play. Sure he benefited from having a good team, but what QB doesn't? Has anyone seen what Warner looks like when his best WR was Toomer? How did Manning look in that game in '07 when half his o-line was out and Marv was hurt? 6 INTs vs the Bolts lol...The point is all QBs are affected good or bad by what they have to work with but there are many guys that can't even play under the best of circumstances. Cassel is actually very mobile (3.7 y/c is outstanding for a QB) but he is also very accurate throwing on the run. That's why I think he can play well even without a top 5 or so o-line. If Gonzo stays I can see Cassel being a very good QB for ya'll.

I don't get all the talk about he can't run Haley's "downfield" offense when he basically ran the same offense with the Pats...The Cards aren't bombs away all the time, in fact I'm sure they lead the league in YAC...imo, Fitz and Boldin are almost like big, fast TEs. I see them catching a lot of short-mid range passes and breaking tackles...or being wide open all the time lol... I've seen quite a few posts around here worried about the downfield stuff and it's silly...pretty much the same exact "system"...

sorry for rambling...I'm all hopped up lol

GoHuge
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
More:I wish we had more posters like this guy on CP. Kept it real.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I wish we had more posters like this guy on CP. Kept it real.

ROFL Several would disagree, but I'll take it. Thanks!

T-post Tom
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Several members of our local media have said that Cassel looked extremely accurate and impressive during this week's practice. For whatever that's worth.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Several members of our local media have said that Cassel looked extremely accurate and impressive during this week's practice. For whatever that's worth.

Any info is good; I just want a clear picture. I'm gonna' hit up some of those Pat fans for game footage.

DTLB58
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
What kills me about all the Criticism from the Cassel haters is it sounds like they all assume he will never get better. :eek:

He had a QB rating of almost 90. Threw for darn near 3700 yards, 21 TD's, 11 picks and ran for 2 more td's. And all of this after sitting on the bench for several years.

But he sucks? And that's it. He will never see better days and never improve a bit. End of story. The dude might as well just pack up his bags and quit because players in the NFL never improve.

You read people knocking him because Moss was running wide open and not used 95% of the time was it? But yet those same people say they wanna see how he wll do without Moss and Welker. :rolleyes: As if the only reason he had any success was because of them. You can't have it both ways.

If he stays on the Pats roster he is just another great pick by them. He comes to the Chiefs and suddenly he is a project with huge question marks. :rolleyes:

Pasta Little Brioni
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I think his main weakness is the accuracy on the deep stuff. It may be just an issue of timing and not starting a game in forever. We'll see if he can improve on that with KC.

Reaper16
04-21-2009, 08:30 PM
You read people knocking him because Moss was running wide open and not used 95% of the time was it? But yet those same people say they wanna see how he wll do without Moss and Welker. :rolleyes: As if the only reason he had any success was because of them. You can't have it both ways.
Moss doesn't need the ball in his hands to impact the game. He's an automatic double-team, which really helps guys like Welker get open underneath all the time.

If he stays on the Pats roster he is just another great pick by them. He comes to the Chiefs and suddenly he is a project with huge question marks. :rolleyes:
Well, sure. When your 7th round backup QB could be an adequate starter on most teams, then I'd say its a pretty great pick. But he's not KC's backup.

Pioli Zombie
04-21-2009, 09:01 PM
The point people need to know about Cassels season is how he improved as the season wore on. Sure, at first he was learning and he held on to the ball too long and had some growing pains but that improved. Most of the sacks came in the first half of the season. There were times later in the season where he damn near looked like Brady. The deep ball improved as well. If you watched the games you saw a very good qb.
Posted via Mobile Device

EyePod
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I have a feeling Gonzo may become KC's Welker

He already is.

KCBOSS1
04-21-2009, 09:15 PM
He's got a year of tryout.

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't think Cassel can be a top 5 QB in the league thats the biggest knock I have on him. Now I hope he proves my ass wrong so I can eat a thousand times worth of crow.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't think Cassel can be a top 5 QB in the league thats the biggest knock I have on him. Now I hope he proves my ass wrong so I can eat a thousand times worth of crow.

If his game can eventually match his work ethic and seriousness about the gravity and opportunity of the job, we'll have a great QB.

TRR
04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I tape quite a few games throughout the year having NFL Sunday Ticket. I believe I have 10 NE games from last season including the season opener, and have watched all of them since Cassel was traded. I will be honest in saying that after watching these 10 games, it's hard to not be over-excited about this kid.

Cassel had some issues with hitting Moss deep on a couple of occasions, but it was usually because he overthrew him....a timing issue in my opinion. It's not because he doesn't have the arm.

He scrambles a lot better than I thought he would for a kid of that size. He converted numerous plays with his legs last season.

Last but not least is his ability to throw under pressure and on especially on the run. We haven't had anyone throw this accurately in KC on the run in quite some time.

Put all the "intangible" stuff to the side. Strictly looking at tape and data, he has all the tools that it takes to be a Top 10 QB in this league. Whether he will be is another matter.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I tape quite a few games throughout the year having NFL Sunday Ticket. I believe I have 10 NE games from last season including the season opener, and have watched all of them since Cassel was traded. I will be honest in saying that after watching these 10 games, it's hard to not be over-excited about this kid.

Cassel had some issues with hitting Moss deep on a couple of occasions, but it was usually because he overthrew him....a timing issue in my opinion. It's not because he doesn't have the arm.

He scrambles a lot better than I thought he would for a kid of that size. He converted numerous plays with his legs last season.

Last but not least is his ability to throw under pressure and on especially on the run. We haven't had anyone throw this accurately in KC on the run in quite some time.

Put all the "intangible" stuff to the side. Strictly looking at tape and data, he has all the tools that it takes to be a Top 10 QB in this league. Whether he will be is another matter.

Well I'm certainly the last person to tell someone what to do with their free time, but maybe dude over at "Classic Games" could house a few for a while?
Or maybe somebody running the Planet?

solidgold
04-21-2009, 10:59 PM
My college roomie is a lifelong pats fan and he called me the day after the trade was announced to congratulate me on the pick-up.

I asked him if we were getting anything worthwhile and he said that as the year went on you could see Cassel getting better and better. By the end of the year he had knocked all that "non-starter rust" loose and was a legit quarterback and team leader.

Here's to hoping he can at least do the same this year for the good guys.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-22-2009, 04:23 AM

What defines top five? Most wouldn't say Big Ben is top five, especially not until last year. Yet, many would say Cutler is top five.

Cassel was top 10 in passer rating and yards last year. I know he had a ton of talent around him, but it was also his first year as a starter. So, which was more of a factor?

Top five? That is so subjective, that it is impossible to debate.

I don't think Eli Manning is a top five QB, but he won a Super Bowl. I am not sure that Big Ben is top five, and I know he wasn't when he won his first Super Bowl, and he has two.

The reality is that you need a QB that is dependable and consistent.

Tom Brady was considered a game manager until he got Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Even now, many fans would argue that Manning is the better QB.

You take a QB that is consistent and makes good decisions, you put him in a system that takes advantage of what he does best, and you surround him with talent.

Trent Green was considered a top five QB by many. Does anyone think that he was a top five talent?

Frankly, the only reason that anyone wonders whether he can be top five is because he didn't start in college. He went to a great school with a ton of talent at the position.

It isn't like he couldn't beat out John David Booty.

Plus, in college, he still flirted with playing baseball.

Top five? Perhaps, perhaps not. Franchise QB's play 10 years or so. If there is an average of two franchise QB's per draft, then there are 20 franchise QB's at any point in the NFL. And, the list of the top five ebs and flows on a yearly basis.

The guy is ideal size, mobile, and a good arm. He was top 10 in rating and yards in his first year starting.

I just don't understand the pessimism

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Frankly, the only reason that anyone wonders whether he can be top five is because he didn't start in college. He went to a great school with a ton of talent at the position.

It isn't like he couldn't beat out John David Booty.

And Cassel started how many games at USC again?

As if beating Booty were an accomplishment. I'll indulge this take one more time for shits and giggles:
Booty's start was the product of Sanchez's coed scandal, which turned out to be a false accusation.
Sanchez could and DID beat out John David Booty.

TheGuardian
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM

As if beating Booty were an accomplishment. I'll indulge this take one more time for shits and giggles:
Booty's start was the product of Sanchez's coed scandal, which turned out to be a false accusation.

What was Tom Brady doing at Michigan?

Who gives a flying squirrels ass what they did in college now? :rolleyes:

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
What was Tom Brady doing at Michigan?

Who gives a flying squirrels ass what they did in college now? :rolleyes:

Oh so NOW the college career isn't important. Okay, got it.

No.

Yeah, the next time I need a goal post moved, I know exactly where to look.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-22-2009, 09:44 AM

No, beating Booty isn't an accomplishment. That is the point. In 2007, Sanchez won the starting job, but was then injured. So, Booty started. But, then, midseason, Booty got hurt and Sanchez was able to play.

He was benched after three games in favor of Booty.

TheGuardian
04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Oh so NOW the college career isn't important. Okay, got it.

No.

Yeah, the next time I need a goal post moved, I know exactly where to look.

Who cares what Cassel did in college if the guy CAN PLAY now? It's apples to oranges. Brady was a backup at Michigan. Does that matter now? What is the guy that beat Brady out doing right now? So in the scope of the players being talked about, Sanchez beating out Booty is irrelevant.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Who cares what Cassel did in college if the guy CAN PLAY now? It's apples to oranges. Brady was a backup at Michigan. Does that matter now? What is the guy that beat Brady out doing right now? So in the scope of the players being talked about, Sanchez beating out Booty is irrelevant.

So were on the same page then?

htismaqe
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
If his game can eventually match his work ethic and seriousness about the gravity and opportunity of the job, we'll have a great QB.

I think he already understands the gravity and opportunity of the job.

If the Chiefs win a Super Bowl with him at the helm, he'll at least make the team's HoF, if not better.