PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Are there any movies that you think should not ever be remade?

bango
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
What are the sacred or untouchable?

Reaper16
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
All of them. No remakes. Ever.

Braincase
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Citizen Kane. Gone With The Wind. Goonies.

crispystl
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Casablanca comes to mind.

Buehler445
04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Hoosiers.

Jerm
04-21-2009, 08:47 PM
The Godfather
Goodfellas
JAWS
The Exorcist

Jenson71
04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I think any movie that was based off a book has my support for being remade, including such classics as Gone With the Wind, The Godfather, Goodfellas (Wiseguys), Jaws, The Exorcist.

Otherwise you are just allowing chance to be the final say in who gets to remake a book (the chance that they were older than you, kind of). Even though all those movies are great (it's been a while since I've seen GWTW, so I'll leave that aside), I'm definitely for someone trying to do it better.

And if it doesn't work out, in no way does it diminish the original's quality. For instance the Godfather Returns and Revenge (by Mark Winegardner) are widely recognized as being horrible. But that in no way hurts the legacy of the original novel by Puzo or Coppola's trilogiy.

Just my opinion for now.

Demonpenz
04-21-2009, 09:01 PM
any classic movie, but they still do it, just call it something else

04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Nothing. EVER

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Star Wars

Hot To Trot

TinyEvel
04-21-2009, 11:58 PM
The River's Edge.
Vampire's Kiss
Pink Flamingos
Heavy Metal
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Reservoir Dogs (though, I think it would make a GREAT stage play)

chiefs1111
04-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Tombstone
The Good,The Bad,The Ugly
GoodFellas

Otter
04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
No movies should be remade.

If you're too unoriginal to come up with a unique idea instead of capitalizing of someone elses get the fuck out entertainment.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 01:08 AM
No movies should be remade.

If you're too unoriginal to come up with a unique idea instead of capitalizing of someone elses get the fuck out entertainment.

That's not true.

Sometimes, a great idea isn't fully realized due to the budget, the actors or technology.

As much as I loved the original 1933 version of "King Kong", I think that Peter Jackson's version far surpassed it. Even with a poor choice of leading lady's.

"Ocean's 11" was an excellent update and quite a good film. The original was rubbish.

I could continue to make a larger list but I think I've made my point.

MoreLemonPledge
04-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Any Kubrick film.

And Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties. It's perfect just like it is.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2009, 05:32 AM
WHy dont they ever remake bad movies?? Try and get it right a 2nd time?

Fire Me Boy!
04-22-2009, 05:35 AM
My only stipulation for remakes: If you can't make it better, don't make it.

PhillyChiefFan
04-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Pink Flamingos

I wasn't right for a month.

Otter
04-22-2009, 10:09 AM
As much as I loved the original 1933 version of "King Kong", I think that Peter Jackson's version far surpassed it. Even with a poor choice of leading lady's.

You're referring to the one with Jack Black's fat, dough boy ass fighting giant bugs like he just came out of ranger school? Seriously, why didn't Jackson stick Drew Carey & Louie Anderson in there with him and call them "Team Hellcat's from Plant Kick Ass"? It wouldn't have been any more cheesy or over the top.

Maybe in his next movie he could have Paulie Shore play General Patton in a WW II remake.

All those Coke & Johnny Walker product ad placements really helped add to bringing this classic film back to life for a new generation as well.

King Kong's a popcorn flick by nature so it's not like Bay remaking "Pearl Harbor" into the abortion he spawned. I still don't see what it added to what the original had to offer besides some eye candy CGI and adding yet another remake to a pool of films where outside the Coen Brothers and a couple select others - Hollywood might as well build a production line to spew out this unoriginal crap a little bit faster.

Maybe they can go straight to DVD and combo it in with a happy meal.

Brock
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Just the obvious ones, GWTW, The Godfather, etc.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Screech's sex tape.

L.A. Chieffan
04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
they better not fucking touch Beverly Hills Chihuahua

blaise
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I think they should remake The Running Man. I thought the short story was pretty cool, and the hero as an everyman was good. I thought it sucked how they changed it all up and made it more cartoonish.
I read they're remaking the Bad Lieutenant with Nicholas Cage in the Harvey Keitel role- sounds disasterous, and they're remaking The Karate Kid with Will Smith's kid as the Karate Kid- sounds like the worst idea since the Bad News Bears remake.

Saulbadguy
04-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I think any movie released in the past 20 years should be off limits.

chasedude
04-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Scanners
Evil Dead - any of them
Poltergeist
Children of the Corn

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 11:28 AM
You're referring to the one with Jack Black's fat, dough boy ass fighting giant bugs like he just came out of ranger school? Seriously, why didn't Jackson stick Drew Carey & Louie Anderson in there with him and call them "Team Hellcat's from Plant Kick Ass"? It wouldn't have been any more cheesy or over the top.

Maybe in his next movie he could have Paulie Shore play General Patton in a WW II remake.

All those Coke & Johnny Walker product ad placements really helped add to bringing this classic film back to life for a new generation as well.

King Kong's a popcorn flick by nature so it's not like Bay remaking "Pearl Harbor" into the abortion he spawned. I still don't see what it added to what the original had to offer besides some eye candy CGI and adding yet another remake to a pool of films where outside the Coen Brothers and a couple select others - Hollywood might as well build a production line to spew out this unoriginal crap a little bit faster.

Maybe they can go straight to DVD and combo it in with a happy meal.

Well, I fully disagree.

While I loved the original, I thought it was a very cool remake which was completely faithful to the original. The CGI was amazing and I for one really enjoyed the T-Rex confrontations.

Furthermore, this movie wasn't produced or filmed in Hollywood. It was done in NZ and released by Fox (just like the Lord of the Ring films).

Last time I checked, no one forced you to the movie theater or to rent the DVD.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Scanners
Evil Dead - any of them
Poltergeist
Children of the Corn

I think all of those films are in various stages of being remade.

Even Poltergeist (For what end I have no idea).

Valiant
04-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Citizen Kane. Gone With The Wind. Goonies.

I want to see a Goonies sequel though with the kids as parents now though..

Aliens and most 80's horror movies should not be remade..

The only one that has been done worth a shit is the first Hills have eyes..

Deberg_1990
04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, I fully disagree.

While I loved the original, I thought it was a very cool remake which was completely faithful to the original. The CGI was amazing and I for one really enjoyed the T-Rex confrontations.

Furthermore, this movie wasn't produced or filmed in Hollywood. It was done in NZ and released by Fox (just like the Lord of the Ring films).

I agree. I liked it as well. Even better than *dont flame* LoTR's.

BTW, any fans of the 76 King Kong with Jeff Bridges? LOL

Deberg_1990
04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
I want to see a Goonies sequel though with the kids as parents now though..

heh

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I think they should remake The Running Man. I thought the short story was pretty cool, and the hero as an everyman was good. I thought it sucked how they changed it all up and made it more cartoonish.

Yeah, I'm sure the short story ending where he plows a plane into the building that houses the corporate HQ would go over great.

blaise
04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the short story ending where he plows a plane into the building that houses the corporate HQ would go over great.

You're saying the adaptation was good?

blaise
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh, because of 9/11, I guess- still, the adaptation sucked I thought. It could be rewritten with an alternate ending that didn't evoke 9/11.

Donger
04-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

chasedude
04-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I think all of those films are in various stages of being remade.

Even Poltergeist (For what end I have no idea).

I guess originality has become a rare delicacy. :shake:

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I guess originality has become a rare delicacy. :shake:

No, it's more of a "sure thing". There are "original" movies released every week.

That doesn't mean that they're going to be any good...

kysirsoze
04-22-2009, 07:17 PM
No, it's more of a "sure thing". There are "original" movies released every week.

That doesn't mean that they're going to be any good...

It's more of a sure thing as far as box office, but certainly not quality.

(See 70's King Kong, Bangkok Dangerous, The Eye, The Blob, Get Carter, The Longest Yar, etc.)

There are some good ones, though. Ben Hur, Fistful of Dollars, Ocean's Eleven, The Magnificent Seven, Mutiny on the Bounty, just to name a few.

I think if you can make a quality film that has the proper revence to the original, while distinguishing itself, almost anything is fair game. It doesn't diminish the original movie, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
It's more of a sure thing as far as box office, but certainly not quality.

(See 70's King Kong, Bangkok Dangerous, The Eye, The Blob, Get Carter, The Longest Yar, etc.)

There are some good ones, though. Ben Hur, Fistful of Dollars, Ocean's Eleven, The Magnificent Seven, Mutiny on the Bounty, just to name a few.

I think if you can make a quality film that has the proper revence to the original, while distinguishing itself, almost anything is fair game. It doesn't diminish the original movie, IMO.

It may be cheesy but I LOVE "Get Carter" with Stallone and Mickey Roarke.

It's just so slimey. :)

KCChiefsMan
04-23-2009, 03:19 AM
It may be cheesy but I LOVE "Get Carter" with Stallone and Mickey Roarke.

It's just so slimey. :)

I too loved Get Carter. that scene toward the end when Sly approaches Rourke on the dance floor and beats the ever living crap out him, it gives me chills man! I liked that movie a lot

oaklandhater
04-23-2009, 03:23 AM
[QUOTE=TinyEvel;5692749]The River's Edge.
Heavy Metal

To late.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1202580/

oaklandhater
04-23-2009, 03:33 AM
I have no problem with remakeing old 70's sci fi movies that are way to freaking dated

Logans run
Dune
Soylent Green
Black Hole
WestWorld/futureworld
Time Bandits
Time After Time
The Final Countdown

all these films are way to dated and really need a remake.

Otter
04-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Well, I fully disagree.

Filmed in NZ - produced by Hollywood. Blah, blah, blah

Nope, no one forced my to put it in my Netflix Queue but it did drive one more nail in the coffin of why I'll never step foot into a movie theater.

In the immortal words of Will Hunting: "Are you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter...or is that your thing, you come into a [theater] you read some obscure passage and pawn it off as your own idea to impress some girls. - Someday you're gonna be about 50 and start doing some thinking on your own, do yourself a favor by that time - don't do that".

I have no idea what you have to do with what comes out of Hollywood but you act like you do on some level and it's embarrassing. Sink or swim, at least be original. It would go a long way in being credible.

Nzoner
04-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Any Kubrick film.

Thank God they remade The Shining,don't get me wrong I love Kubrick's film but for staying with the book I'll take the tv mini-series anytime.

Nzoner
04-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Nope, no one forced my to put it in my Netflix Queue but it did drive one more nail in the coffin of why I'll never step foot into a movie theater.

In the immortal words of Will Hunting: "Are you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter...or is that your thing, you come into a [theater] you read some obscure passage and pawn it off as your own idea to impress some girls. - Someday you're gonna be about 50 and start doing some thinking on your own, do yourself a favor by that time - don't do that".

I have no idea what you have to do with what comes out of Hollywood but you act like you do on some level and it's embarrassing. Sink or swim, at least be original. It would go a long way in being credible.

Never remake Good Will Hunting that movie is great as is.

I'll also add Seven since it's not been mentioned,leave it the hell alone.

Otter
04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Thank God they remade The Shining,don't get me wrong I love Kubrick's film but for staying with the book I'll take the tv mini-series anytime.

You've just earned yourself a 3rd degree roundhouse to the sphincter muscle.

Nzoner
04-25-2009, 09:54 AM
You've just earned yourself a 3rd degree roundhouse to the sphincter muscle.

Yeah I get that a lot when making that comment but seeing that it was King's original vision I was disappointed with Kubrick when he felt the need to change the hedge animals to a maze and the Denver Croquet mallet to an axe,not to mention his lack of developing the whole character of Jack.

Granted,the mini-series was 4 1/2 hours but with King being the executive producer they were able to tell the story in depth and the way he wrote it and I thought it was focking great.

DaneMcCloud
04-25-2009, 10:43 AM

I'm sorry that you're butt-hurt over a remake of a movie that was released 73 years after the original.

JFC.

STFU

Deberg_1990
04-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Wow, I liked the TV miniseries. Havent seen it since it was aired to be honest....but its not even near close to as creepy as the movie.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Did Peter Jackson rape your childhood or something? Oh and you do realize jackson added 90 minutes on top of the original Kong, so he did have a few ideas of his own. Also, this was the 2nd remake of Kong, not the 1st.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Leave 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'The Wild Bunch' alone. Don't f**k with any John Wayne movies, otherwise you kids have fun. Stay off my lawn.

Nzoner
04-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Wow, I liked the TV miniseries. Havent seen it since it was aired to be honest....but its not even near close to as creepy as the movie.

I disagree here as well,I knew I would never get full effect watching it in 3 parts with commercials etc. so I bought the dvd and all I can say is if you have 4 1/2 hours put it in and let it go.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I disagree here as well,I knew I would never get full effect watching it in 3 parts with commercials etc. so I bought the dvd and all I can say is if you have 4 1/2 hours put it in and let it go.

Well, DeMornay hotter than Duvall. :)

pr_capone
04-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Back To The Future

Breakfast Club

Encino Man

Miles
04-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Apparently Videodrome is being remade.