PDA

View Full Version : Interesting debate going on about Mark Sanchez media savvy...

Mecca
04-21-2009, 07:49 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32849

Some feel he is using his better personality to work the media and it's helping his draft position when it shouldn't..

Read through that and chime in with some thoughts.

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
When Sanchez retires he will be an excellent color man.

KCUnited
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I have to admit, ESPN showing him playing b-ball at the firehouse with his pops and his crew was touching. Pointless, but touching. Almost like a Brett Favre commercial.

Cosmos
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
When Sanchez retires he will be an excellent color man.

Why, because he's Hispanic?

chiefscafan
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I still think he won't be that good

Mecca
04-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Mark Sanchez agent is very smart, when he speaks it's very hard to not like him. So they get him out doing a bunch of media stuff.

DaneMcCloud
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I still think he won't be that good

For someone that lives in the LA metro area, it appears that you didn't pay much attention to him on the field.

kcxiv
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I had no idea he's Mexican. Go Sanchez, just because of that, i am pulling for the guy to do well. lol

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I had no idea he's Mexican. Go Sanchez, just because of that, i am pulling for the guy to do well. lol

You lived in California and didnt know that?

kcxiv
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
You lived in California and didnt know that?

I dont live in Southern California. Ya know this state is pretty damned big. Not to mention i dont follow college football much.

Mr. Kotter
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Sanchez is the second-coming of Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, and Heath Shuler.

Hopefully we can really fugg the Broncos....by trading with them, to give them the "honor/privilege" of picking Sanchez.

LMAO

Heh. ;)

Mecca
04-21-2009, 10:29 PM

Hopefully we can really fugg the Broncos....by trading with them, to give them the "honor/privilege" of picking Sanchez.

LMAO

Heh. ;)

Says who?

ChiefsCountry
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Denver is the last place I want him, get him in the NFC if we can.

DaneMcCloud

LMAO

Heh. ;)

Wrong.

He didn't play in the spread, he doesn't have emotional problems and he has no interest in politics.

He may or may not be a great NFL QB but I am certain that he won't be a bust.

Mecca
This post should get attention from that thread...

A lot of Mark Sanchez haters here. Stafford fans will claim interviews and interviews alone could be the only possible explanation for Mark Sanchez's steady climb up the boards. Has it truly been that dramatic?

In my January 27th Big Board, I ranked Stafford at 2, Sanchez at 10. Now, on my final Big Board, Stafford remains at 2, Sanchez has moved up five spots to #5. So, what has happened between now and January that must have caused this, obviously dramatic and unpredictable, rise in stock for Mark Sanchez?

Could it have been a fairly strong Combine performance while Matthew Stafford, for the most part, sat and watched? No, I doubt it. Could it have been a Pro Day in which he wowed scouts and showed he could make every NFL throw accurately? I don't think so, makes too much sense. Is it because during interviews at both the Combine and following, he showed an intimate level of knowledge and passion for the game and has displayed a tremendous work ethic in the film room? ... I'm sorry, but probably not it. Is it because he has made a few media appearances at which he has seemed like a real nice, personable guy? Bingo, there we go. That must be why Mark Sanchez's stock has risen since January.

That was not meant to mock the original poster here, nor is it meant to mock Scott. It is meant to give the more stubborn Stafford enthusiasts (or Sanchez haters, who cares they're the same people) some perspective on why Mark Sanchez is considered a legitimate Top 5-10 pick and in some opinions a better prospect that Matthew Stafford.

Personally I have Matthew Stafford a bit above Sanchez in my rankings. Still, the arguments for Sanchez over Stafford can hold plenty of ground. Sanchez is the more cerebral of the two. He's a film junky with surprising knowledge and understanding of the game. He reads defenses well and has the arm strength and accuracy to deliver. I love his passion for the game, poise as a player and person, and ability to rally his teammates behind him. I think he's a big game player as well, he certainly showed up against Penn State, Oregon, and Ohio State (Three Top 15 teams.) In those three games, the three against highest ranked opponents, Sanchez threw 11 Td's, only 1 Int, and added a rushing score. Conversely, the three top ranked teams that Matthew Stafford faced (Florida, Alabama, Georgia Tech), 7 Td's 5 Int's. Stats aren't everything, I know that and you should too. Still, Sanchez has risen to the occasion and gotten it done on the football field which some don't give him proper credit for.

None of this is meant to take anything away from Stafford, but as I said earlier, maybe give some that don't understand his rising a new perspective.

aturnis
04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
I dont live in Southern California. Ya know this state is pretty damned big. Not to mention i dont follow college football much.

Yeah, but his last name is SANCHEZ!

T-post Tom
04-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Has anyone ever given their lover a "Dirty Stafford"? Case closed.

TRR
04-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Colin Cowherd (Who I am not a big fan of) brought up some interesting points on this topic on his radio show this morning. He basically said that Sanchez was and always has been listed as a mid first round pick, but because of his ability to control a room, he is rocketing up some draft boards.

Cowherd made the point that he has great hair, is good looking, says yes sir and no sir...but the bottom line is that he hasn't played a game in 6 months, and has done nothing to raise his draft stock. He went on to say that he played in weak conference where the first Defensive player to be taken out of the Pac-10 this season will be at the top of the third round (Oregon CB). He also added in the fact that there is a problem with a player who sat behind John David Booty....

Again not my words....but I did find it interesting.

Mecca
04-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Cowherd is also a USC hater....

Read that long post I put up there it lays out many things that have happened since the games ended and how Sanchez played in their biggest games.

Notice how he didn't point out that Sanchez faced Ohio State and Penn State who have players going in the 1st round.

kcxiv
04-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, but his last name is SANCHEZ!

There is also Puerto Ricans, Cubans, ect ect ect. Cant ever tell these days until you look it up.

mylittlepony
04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I think he has a good head on his shoulders but then again I wouldnt be surprised to see him taking a one week vacation to mexico with his singer girlfriend in the middle of playoffs. He is exactly the type of person the media likes to chew up and spit out. I hope he does well unless he is playing for denver.

milkman
04-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Cowherd is also a USC hater....

Read that long post I put up there it lays out many things that have happened since the games ended and how Sanchez played in their biggest games.

Notice how he didn't point out that Sanchez faced Ohio State and Penn State who have players going in the 1st round.

FTR, Cowherd did mention those teams, asking what have those Big 10 teams have done in Bowl games in the last few years.

But I think that Cowherd says things simply to stir controversy.

Just two months ago he was saying that teams should be looking at what Mark Sanchez did against the three best teams on the USC schedule, Oregon, OSU and Penn St.

milkman
04-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I think he has a good head on his shoulders but then again I wouldnt be surprised to see him taking a one week vacation to mexico with his singer girlfriend in the middle of playoffs. He is exactly the type of person the media likes to chew up and spit out. I hope he does well unless he is playing for denver.

You're joking, right?

Mark Sanchez spends hours and hours in the film room breaking down tape.
He is dedicated to his craft, and has a work ethic comparable to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

And you think he would just a vacation in the middle of the playoffs.

He ain't Tony Romo, dumbass.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I hate ****ing Beaners!

haha, j/k only some of them. Sanchez is the whitest beaner ive seen since Tony Gonzalez.

mylittlepony
04-22-2009, 08:12 AM
You're joking, right?

He is dedicated to his craft, and has a work ethic comparable to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

True, because everyone knows Romo isnt known for his work ethic. Oh wait:

he won the walter payton award with the motivation:

"Tony is a classic example of what can be achieved by following Payton?s qualities. Tony earned the respect of his teammates by his work ethic. No matter how much individual success he achieved, he still was one of the hardest working players right up to his final collegiate game. That work ethic and leadership resulted in his teammates expecting to succeed. Tony is a quality young man who led his team to victories."

His current employer went so far as to say:
“Tony’s boring. He won’t talk about anything but football and the Cowboys and how to move the ball and what plays we can run. I don’t know if I’ve been around anybody that’s just that into football. I wish he would talk more about spicy things, but I can’t get him to.”

I think there are alot of similarities. I think Sanchez is a smart kid just like Romo. But if you are a charismatic young man with alot of money like Sanchez will be and Romo is and the media gets you in their crosshairs. You might not wanna be going to mexico for vacation... in the middle of the playoffs.

Chiefnj2
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
You're joking, right?

cbssportsline says he didn't spend as much time on film as past USC QB's. They still say he's a great leader though.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
True, because everyone knows Romo isnt known for his work ethic. Oh wait:

he won the walter payton award with the motivation:

"Tony is a classic example of what can be achieved by following Payton?s qualities. Tony earned the respect of his teammates by his work ethic. No matter how much individual success he achieved, he still was one of the hardest working players right up to his final collegiate game. That work ethic and leadership resulted in his teammates expecting to succeed. Tony is a quality young man who led his team to victories."

His current employer went so far as to say:
“Tony’s boring. He won’t talk about anything but football and the Cowboys and how to move the ball and what plays we can run. I don’t know if I’ve been around anybody that’s just that into football. I wish he would talk more about spicy things, but I can’t get him to.”

I think there are alot of similarities. I think Sanchez is a smart kid just like Romo. But if you are a charismatic young man with alot of money like Sanchez will be and Romo is and the media gets you in their crosshairs. You might not wanna be going to mexico for vacation... in the middle of the playoffs.

Doh!

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 08:17 AM
cbssportsline says he didn't spend as much time on film as past USC QB's. They still say he's a great leader though.

Im willing to bet that Carson Palmer was much more dilligent in his film studies.

Buehler445
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Eh. He may be rising up analyst draft boards due to his personality, but I seriously SERIOUSLY doubt his charming personality is accounting for huge rises with teams.

The way I see it is that teams have to figure out if he is smart and then if he is a headcase. The smart bit I would anticipate comes through interviews and getting an understanding of his knowledge of the game. The headcase bit is pretty much yes or no and could probably be determined with 5 minutes with the kid.
It is a great idea to have your client on TV all the time. It is his agent's job to do that shit. A lot of it. But I doubt it has much to do with his place on team's boards.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
04-22-2009, 08:44 AM

I don't know where they got that.

I know in watching USC throughout the season, the game announcers talked about the hours that Sanchez spent in the film room, and Pete Carroll, in a pre game show, said that he would have to kick Sanchez out of the film room to go home to get some sleep.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't know where they got that.

I know in watching USC throughout the season, the game announcers talked about the hours that Sanchez spent in the film room, and Pete Carroll, in a pre game show, said that he would have to kick Sanchez out of the film room to go home to get some sleep.

Hm. Sounds like Matt Cassel.