PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Potential wrench in our trade down plans?

Coogs
04-22-2009, 08:21 AM
If Stafford does not go #1, our trade down scenarios may all be moot...

http://www.freep.com/article/20090422/SPORTS01/90421081/1048

Aaron Curry willing to take less than top pick in '08
By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • April 22, 2009

Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry is willing to accept less money from the Lions than Michigan left tackle Jake Long received last year from Miami to be the No. 1 pick in the draft, according to an interview he gave Tuesday on Sirius NFL Radio.

Here is a partial transcript:

Host Pat Kirwan: “If they came to you and said, ‘We want you, and here’s the deal we want to give you,’ would you do a deal with them to be the No. 1 player in the NFL draft? … Have you thought that through in a business sense with your agent?”

Curry: “Yeah, we have actually. If they were to approach us with a deal and it is feasible, my plan is to be in camp, on time, and having fun.”

Kirwan: “Would you do a pre-draft deal to be the Detroit Lions’ No. 1 pick in the NFL draft?”

Curry: “I sure would. I sure would. No doubt about it.”

Host Tim Ryan: “What if the deal was under Jake Long’s deal from last year?”

Curry: “I’d be more than happy to accept that deal.”

Kirwan: “Can you see yourself in a Lions uniform? Can you really see that?”

Curry: “After my visit to Detroit, I felt very comfortable with the coaching staff and the management. And, you know, they made the new changes to the logo which I fell in love with. And they brought in Julian Peterson., who I’ve always been a big fan of. I see myself in that uniform, and I could also see myself playing beside Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson.”

Kirwan: “Have you picked up the phone yourself and called the head coach and said, ‘Coach, Aaron Curry here. I know you’re getting down to it, but I just want you to know I will sign a deal with you guys. I want to be a Detroit Lion. I don’t know where I stand in your plans, but make sure you understand who I am and what I would do.’?”

Curry: “I’ve actually been able to exchange text messages with [Lions GM] Mr. [Martin] Mayhew himself, just discussing the whole situation. He gave me some birthday wishes on my birthday, and we talked about just how things would be if me, Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson were together in one room, just to be able to go out there and wreak havoc. I told him I look forward to talking to him very soon.”

J Diddy
04-22-2009, 08:25 AM
I think it'd open all sorts of new possibilities provided St. Louis doesn't take a qb (which I don't think they will). Someone is gonna want Sanchez or Stafford.

milkman
04-22-2009, 08:26 AM
The Lions would be idiots to take Aaron Curry #1 overall.

Stafford will be the pick.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Oh man, the Lions taking Curry would be my wet dream come true.

Reaper16
Taking Curry #1 is like the Royals drafting Hochevar #1. Yeah, you're getting a guy that can reasonably contribute for years, but don't you want something more?

Quesadilla Joe
The Lions should take a tackle number 1 overall and then wait until number 20 to get Sanchez or wait until pick 32 and get Freeman.

milkman
04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
The Lions should take a tackle number 1 overall and then wait until number 20 to get Sanchez or wait until pick 32 and get Freeman.

LMAO

Wow!

Coogs
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
I think it'd open all sorts of new possibilities provided St. Louis doesn't take a qb (which I don't think they will). Someone is gonna want Sanchez or Stafford.

You really think so? Laws of supply and demand come into play IMO. If both are on the board at #3 teams can wait a bit longer to make the trade up. But again, that is JMO.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Yes because Sanchez will be available all throughout the 1st round and Freeman will slip into the 2nd.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
The only team I dont want Curry with is Detroit. They are just dumb if they decide to take him.

Coogs
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
The only team I dont want Curry with is Detroit.

Why is that? Are you a Lions fan?

Quesadilla Joe
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
LMAO

Wow!

What is so funny?

The Lions need a left tackle and there won't be an elite one left at pick #20.

If I was Detroit, getting Monroe/Smith at #1, Knowshon Moreno/Wells at #20, and Freeman at #32 would be a DREAM draft..

Brock
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
A LB number one overall? pfft.

Quesadilla Joe
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes because Sanchez will be available all throughout the 1st round and Freeman will slip into the 2nd.

Sanchez probably won't be, but if Freeman makes it past Minnesota he will drop to the second round.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Sanchez probably won't be, but if Freeman makes it past Minnesota he will drop to the second round.

Neither of those guys will be available during the picks you talked about, bud.

Quesadilla Joe
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Neither of those guys will be available during the picks you talked about, bud.

I think Freeman has a very good chance of making it into the second round. All of these QB's have been overrated by the media. If Sanchez is sitting at #12 I wouldn't want Denver to draft him.

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2009, 08:47 AM
What is so funny?

The Lions need a left tackle and there won't be an elite one left at pick #20.

If I was Detroit, getting Monroe/Smith at #1, Knowshon Moreno/Wells at #20, and Freeman at #32 would be a DREAM draft..

The Lions have much more important needs than Moreno/Wells at #20.

Brock
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I think Freeman has a very good chance of making it into the second round. All of these QB's have been overrated by the media. If Sanchez is sitting at #12 I wouldn't want Denver to draft him.

I think Freeman will go into the second round, but Sanchez won't make it out of the top 10.

Quesadilla Joe
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I think Freeman will go into the second round, but Sanchez won't make it out of the top 10.

Sanchez probably does have a good shot at being a top 10 pick. He could go anywhere though. Right after the combine he was supposed to be a mid first round pick.

milkman
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM

Even if Josh McDaniel is as stupid as you are, and he passed on Sanchez at 12, the Skins would take him at #13, with Freeman going the Jets, Bucs or Vikings.

Buehler445
04-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Think about what you are saying.....

Realistically though, I think you're right. Just because that's not the way the D was built in TN.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quesadilla Joe
04-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Even if Josh McDaniel is as stupid as you are, and he passed on Sanchez at 12, the Skins would take him at #13, with Freeman going the Jets, Bucs or Vikings.

That scenario could happen.

EyePod
04-22-2009, 08:56 AM
At least we could pay our pick less.

milkman
04-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Think about what you are saying.....

Posted via Mobile Device

We know that Matt Millon was/is an idiot, and despite the fact that they hired Cunther, the jury is still out on Mayhew and Shwartz.

bringbackmarty
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM

The lions are idiots, ya moron....:evil:

The Franchise
04-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Yeah....go Lions!

#1 - Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
#20 - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida

FTW!!!!!!!!!!

htismaqe
04-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm going to go on record right now and say the Lions will take Curry.

The NFL, and the majority of the fans, are ultra-conservative and would rather play not to lose than play to win.

Curry is the safe pick and he's now the cheaper pick.

So much for kcbubb's idea that NFL owners and GM's don't care about the size of contracts.

Frankie
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Sanchez will be long gone by 20, Mr. Millen.

Frankie
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
A LB number one overall? pfft.

Can you say,.... Aundray Bruce?

Frankie
04-22-2009, 10:37 AM
That scenario could happen.

Will, not could.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Sanchez will not get past 13 to the redskins

The Franchise
04-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Sanchez will not get past 13 to the redskins

I'm saying right now that Sanchez won't make it past #8.

Frankie
04-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm saying right now that Sanchez won't make it past #8.

This.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Im gonna go on record and say Sanchez wont make it past #73

Frankie
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Im gonna go on record and say Sanchez wont make it past #73

Double this.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
I like Aaron Curry a ton. I really do. I think he is going to be a stud. I think he will be a pro bowl player for sure, and probably a HOF player.

But, if I were the Lions, I take Stafford. Stafford isn't Sanchez. He played against the best defenses, he has a ton of experience, he had a 38 on the wonderlic, and as soon as he is drafted, he will have a top five arm in the NFL.

There is no reason NOT to take Stafford.

BUT, if by some chance the Lions see a 'flaw', then they should go with a franchise LT.

If they take Curry and it allows the Chiefs to trade down, then great. But, if they take Curry, and the Chiefs can't trade down, that will suck.

At that point, I hope that Stafford is on the board and the Chiefs take him and then trade Cassel to Denver for a first round pick.

Ebolapox
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I'll go on record.

if matt stafford falls to number three, YOU FUCKING TAKE HIM AND LAUGH ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

htismaqe
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I'll go on record.

if matt stafford falls to number three, YOU ****ING TAKE HIM AND LAUGH ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

This.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh man, the Lions taking Curry would be my wet dream come true.

I can't decide if it would be joy, elation, a pants-pissing fit of laughter, or a combination of all 3.
Ah what the hell, let's splurge; ALL THREE!!!:D

I'll go on record.

if matt stafford falls to number three, YOU FUCKING TAKE HIM AND LAUGH ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

THIS.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm going to go on record right now and say the Lions will take Curry.

The NFL, and the majority of the fans, are ultra-conservative and would rather play not to lose than play to win.

Curry is the safe pick and he's now the cheaper pick.

So much for kcbubb's idea that NFL owners and GM's don't care about the size of contracts.

Who knows with KC, but I'm sticking with my initial picks:

Curry to Detroit

Smith to STL

And who the fuck knows WHAT after that.

Skyy God
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Ok guys, the deal is done. ESPN just reported that Stafford & the Lions have almost finished negotiating his contract.

Who knows with KC, but I'm sticking with my initial picks:

Curry to Detroit

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Stafford. Thanks for playing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Ok guys, the deal is done. ESPN just reported that Stafford & the Lions have almost finished negotiating his contract.

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Stafford. Thanks for playing.

I believe you. In fact, anyone with a Thigpen avatar instantly commands a re-thinking of my picks.

Wait,
what?
No.

Thanks for playing, enjoy this case of Turtle Wax and a copy of the Home Edition.
See ya' next year!

T-post Tom
04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
“After my visit to Detroit, I felt very comfortable with the coaching staff ..."

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/cunninghamfinger.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-22-2009, 01:39 PM
“After my visit to Detroit, I felt very comfortable with the coaching staff ..."

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/cunninghamfinger.jpg

ROFL