PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft On Record: Who do the Chiefs pick?

the Talking Can
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
lay it on the line, sometime before the draft:

Who do the Chiefs pick? If there is a trade down, say so....

this has nothing to do with your desires, you aren't advocating the pick, only a cold hard calculation on what our team does...

my pick is: Raji

kysirsoze
04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Curry

wild1
they trade down, and still get Curry.

Skyy God
Trade down. Not sure where or who the pick is, though.

Red Dawg
04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Trade down or Curry

DTLB58
04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Trade down or Raji

the Talking Can
04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
and who do we take if we trade down?

orange
04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
After much internal debate (or was that the beans?), I'm sticking with what I said in January:

Raji 60%
Orakpo 25%
Curry 15%

If they trade down, it won't be very far, and they'll be looking at the same players in the same order.

(In one change from Jan., Brown is no longer on my list, replaced by Curry.)

Deberg_1990
04-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Sanchez

StcChief
04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
trade down.... this off season has been getting better .
Pick.... depends BPA.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Trade Down with Denver:

12: DHB
18: Trade with Arizona
31: Mack/Unger

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
If their isn't a trade down then it'll be Everrette Brown

if their's a trade with Denver then it'll Rey Maulauga and Connor Barwin
and a trade with the Redskins the pick will be Tyson Jackson.

KChiefs1
04-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Trade down.

T-post Tom
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I like this game:

They trade down and don't quite get book value, but a reasonable deal nonetheless.

Their first pick will be either Raji or Tyson Jackson. If they're both gone, then they'll pick someone with a track record of getting after the QB.

Their second pick will an offensive lineman.

Their third pick will be a WR or LB, depending on which position has the higher ranked player [on their board.]

After that...who knows?

DaFace
04-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Your mom.

Jerm
04-22-2009, 06:23 PM
They'll try to trade down and when they can't they'll shock everyone and take Michael Crabtree.

.....or something lol.

ChiefsRoyalsMizzou
04-22-2009, 06:26 PM
trade down to get Tyson Jackson or stay and get Aaron Curry

mlyonsd
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Trade down. And then we pick a kicker.

Seriously, I have no idea who we pick if we trade down. Depends on the position. I will say if we trade down we'll almost certainly get a lineman of some kind.

It wouldn't surpise me at all if Pioli builds the team from the line out in the draft.

My gut wants Curry but after picking up the old LB's we might pick that position later and hope they can teach the young guys.

rad
04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
If they stay at 3 Sanchez

If they trade down it will be with San Fran and grab Tyson Jackson

RJ
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
They trade down and take a defensive player, for the fun of it I'll say Tyson Jackson.

booger
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Your mom.

i agree butt only after a tradedown.

Archie Bunker
04-22-2009, 06:45 PM
I think they trade down with Cleveland and take Tyson Jackson. If they are stuck at 3 I think they still take Jackson.

doomy3
04-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Tyson Jackson either at 3 or more likely in a trade down

MoreLemonPledge
04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
They won't have any worthwhile offers to trade down.

Raji

DrRyan
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Trade Down with Denver:

12: DHB
18: Trade with Arizona
31: Mack/Unger

DHB at 12?? :rolleyes: I guess that makes about as much sense as most of your posts.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Chiefs trade down to #10 and take Tyson Jackson.

chiefs1111
04-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Hopefully a trade down,im still not sure about the pick...

DrRyan
04-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I would agree with a trade down and Tyson Jackson being a very likely choice.

kcsam07
04-22-2009, 07:02 PM
its either gonna be eugene monroe or jason smith aaron curry or everett brown imo i dont want tyson jackson i dont like drafting a player just because there a workout warrior or have a mediocre college career but have a great combine

rad
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Chiefs trade down to #10 and take Tyson Jackson.

Get your own prediction, dick-knuckle.

DTLB58
04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
They'll try to trade down and when they can't they'll shock everyone and take Michael Crabtree.

.....or something lol.

I;m good with that, except the poor Defense.

KevB
04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
I think they stay at #3 (not for lack of trying to move down) and take the big man, Raji.

DrRyan
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
its either gonna be eugene monroe or jason smith aaron curry or everett brown imo i dont want tyson jackson i dont like drafting a player just because there a workout warrior or have a mediocre college career but have a great combine

I think if they are taking a "workout warrior" it would be Orakpo, not Jackson. Please, no Orakpo.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Get your own prediction, dick-knuckle.

Does everyone really read the entire thread before posting? I posted, then I looked to make sure I wasn't influenced.

But, since, I have to get my own prediction.... FINE!

Chiefs trade to #4 with Seattle and pick up a third round pick. Then they trade down to Eight and pick up a second. The Chiefs then trade to 17, the Jets, and pick up another second and third.

At 17, the Chiefs take Mark Sanchez who has gone into freefall. Then, they trade him to the Broncos for their 18th pick, as well as a second in this draft and a first and second in next years draft.

With the 18th, they take Freeman. They then trade him to Tampa Bay for Tampa's entire draft.

Okay, Now, with the #19th pick, they choose Aaron Curry, who has went into freefall after Pioli started a rumor on Friday morning about his affection for small farm animals.

There, now, I have my very OWN prediction.

The Franchise
04-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Chiefs trade down with the Bengals for their 1st and 2nd.

The Chiefs take B.J. Raji with the 6th pick.

Nightfyre
04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Trade with the Browns:
Chiefs Receive:
B. Edwards
Pick 36 (With which we draft Barwin if he remains on the Board.)
Brown's 2010 1st

Browns Receive:
Pick 3

Because its my favorite scenario.

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Honestly, selecting Tyson Jackson would be anticlimatic to the umpteenth degree. I can't really get that excited about the selection.

MMXcalibur
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Trade down or Curry. I have no idea who we'd pick (or who's available) at wherever we do pick. Soooo....in the end, Curry or *insert best player available after trade down*.

the Talking Can
04-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Honestly, selecting Tyson Jackson would be anticlimatic to the umpteenth degree. I can't really get that excited about the selection.

i think he's a smokescreen

tboss27
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Don't think we will be able to trade down, though i sincerely hope I'm wrong. Think we'll take Monroe, unless St. Louis doesn't take Smith then we'll take him.

SBK
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM

He's no Barwin.

SBK
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm going trade down and Maualuga.

tboss27
04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Trade with the Browns:
Chiefs Receive:
B. Edwards
Pick 36 (With which we draft Barwin if he remains on the Board.)
Brown's 2009 1st

Browns Receive:
Pick 3

Because its my favorite scenario.

We're gonna get Edwards and a second rounder to move down two spots? Pioli's good, he's not God

MoreLemonPledge
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
We're gonna get Edwards and a second rounder to move down two spots? Pioli's good, he's not God

And a first rounder next year...:banghead:

Demonpenz
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I think we get curry. we can't afford to go el busto on this pick

Dante84
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
No Trade- E. Brown

Trade- E. Brown (R. Maualuga close second)

Molitoth
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Trade down and get Raji

Pablo
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I'll go trade down and Heyward-Bay.

Saccopoo
04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Trade down, pick Oher in the first and Paul Kruger in the second with the compensatory picks.

Because, if you watch the tape/vids, Kruger is a substantially better player than any of the DE/OLB tweeners that we'll plug in as the weak side, standup ROLB, especially Orakpo. 'po plays short/compact. He doesn't extend himself on tackles, where Kruger plays like he's about 11 feet tall. In addition, Kruger is superb in drop back coverage - something that will be asked of the ROLB.

Dante84
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I have the DE's ranked as follows:

Everrete Brown- FSU
Brian Orakpo- UT
Larry English- UNI
Michael Johnson- GT
Tyson Jackson- LSU
Conner Barwin- Cinn
Phillip Hunt- Houston
Robert Ayers- Tenn
Paul Kruger- Utah

Of course, I am no scout, and this is my first year being super pumped for the draft.

I think Brown has the intangibles despite his size. I also really, really like Phillip Hunt as a late round pick. Kid has smarts, heart, and a great work ethic.

SBK
04-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm going trade down and Maualuga.

CRAP. I screwed this up, I'm changing to trade down and pick E. Brown, DE, FSU.

Dante84
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Also, maybe its just me, but i think Jackson is a cross between Eric Hicks and Tamba Hali.... yikes!

keg in kc
04-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Also, maybe its just me, but i think Jackson is a cross between Eric Hicks and Tamba Hali.... yikes!That's like asking if you prefer a runny shit or a solid shit, and then settling on diarrhea.

Dante84
04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
That's like asking if you prefer a runny shit or a solid shit, and then settling on diarrhea.

Haha... my thoughts exactly. His highlight videos are garbage. The featured play is him running around for ten seconds, and then eventually catching up to Tebow after he stops to look around. Then Tebow throws it away.

Now THAT'S neat.

The Bad Guy
04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't think there's a chance the Chiefs are able to trade out of 3.

Dante84
04-22-2009, 09:36 PM
My bad, Tebow ALMOST throws it away. Nevermind.

JACKSON IS GOD.

Nightfyre
04-22-2009, 09:41 PM

Ah yea, typo, edited and fixed.

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I'll go trade down and Heyward-Bay.

Great minds think alike

DaneMcCloud
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't think there's a chance the Chiefs are able to trade out of 3.

I think they'll trade down at least once, if not twice

beavis
04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I'll be shocked if they don't trade down now. Curry if they don't. If they do, I have no clue who'll they take.

I still think it's funny that people think it's even remotely possible that we make a trade with Denver.

soundmind
04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Here's to hoping they can trade down...

If not, then Take Monroe, Curry or Raji. I've not looked at the 2010 class well enough to pick amongst them myself. I think taking Monroe makes us better right now, but I think the others give us brighter futures.

However, my vote is to trade down - and select the best front 7 defensive player available. Get a 2 back and get an OT or Connor Barwin with that pick.

brandon
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm guessing we trade down and take E. Brown. Makes much more sense than Jackson IMO.

Titty Meat
04-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Monroe

Saccopoo
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Everrete Brown- FSU
Brian Orakpo- UT
Larry English- UNI
Michael Johnson- GT
Tyson Jackson- LSU
Conner Barwin- Cinn
Phillip Hunt- Houston
Robert Ayers- Tenn
Paul Kruger- Utah

Of course, I am no scout, and this is my first year being super pumped for the draft.

I think Brown has the intangibles despite his size. I also really, really like Phillip Hunt as a late round pick. Kid has smarts, heart, and a great work ethic.

Let me fix that for you:

1. Paul Kruger
2. Brian Orakpo
3. Everette Brown
4. Robert Ayers
5. Tyson Jackson
6. Larry English
7. Cody Brown
8. Aaron Maybin
9. Connor Barwin
10. Lawrence Sidbury

SBK
04-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I think they'll trade down at least once, if not twice

Me too.

As far as what I want, I want to have 2 first rounders next year.

soundmind
04-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Everrete Brown- FSU
Brian Orakpo- UT
Larry English- UNI
Michael Johnson- GT
Tyson Jackson- LSU
Conner Barwin- Cinn
Phillip Hunt- Houston
Robert Ayers- Tenn
Paul Kruger- Utah

Your scouting abilities would be scrutinized from this corner for even including Michael Johnson. That kid runs like an excited duck, he will get mashed in the NFL.

chiefs1111
04-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Let me fix that for you:

1. Paul Kruger
2. Brian Orakpo
3. Everette Brown
4. Robert Ayers
5. Tyson Jackson
6. Larry English
7. Cody Brown
8. Aaron Maybin
9. Connor Barwin
10. Lawrence Sidbury

Kruger number 1??

Saccopoo
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Kruger number 1??

Yep. His only downfall is that he's missing a kidney. Otherwise, he's a complete player. Best player on a 13-0 BCS winning team. Absolutely dominates for a full game. Stong, fast, long, smart, instinctive, plays sideline to sideline and has the burst to chase down plays from behind. Is excellent in drop back coverage as well. Cerebral, but also plays nasty. IMHO, best DE in this draft.

Put on the game tapes of the Utah vs. Michigan and Utah vs. Alabama. He is absolutely dominant. Was completely unstoppable in the MWC and played big in the big games.

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2009, 11:10 PM
He is our Utah homer.

Dante84
04-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Let me fix that for you:

1. Paul Kruger
2. Brian Orakpo
3. Everette Brown
4. Robert Ayers
5. Tyson Jackson
6. Larry English
7. Cody Brown
8. Aaron Maybin
9. Connor Barwin
10. Lawrence Sidbury

Thanks, but no thanks.

By the way, he is not only missing a kidney, he is also missing a spleen. And he is nowhere near the number one DE coming out. Come on, man. I know my list ain't perfect, but that's a joke.

And to follow it up by putting Orakpo in front of Brown? No way. Orakpo is high on my list purely on his physical ability. I think he takes plays/games off- but i couldnt throw any of the other guys in front of him with full confidence.

And I agree that Michael Johnson probably shouldnt be on the list- I threw him in the middle because of all the hype he had a few months ago. My bad.

Saccopoo
04-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks, but no thanks.

By the way, he is not only missing a kidney, he is also missing a spleen. And he is nowhere near the number one DE coming out. Come on, man. I know my list ain't perfect, but that's a joke.

And to follow it up by putting Orakpo in front of Brown? No way. Orakpo is high on my list purely on his physical ability. I think he takes plays/games off- but i couldnt throw any of the other guys in front of him with full confidence.

And I agree that Michael Johnson probably shouldnt be on the list- I threw him in the middle because of all the hype he had a few months ago. My bad.

Spleen? That's like missing a tonsil. And I'm totally serious about Kruger. None of the other DE's in this draft have his complete skill set. Not one. Find the Michigan game and Alabama game vids. Not Kruger highlights, but the actual game. Hell, any Utah game really. There is one guy that continually stands out every single game. That's Kruger. The guy is absolutely relentless with superb football instincts.

And yes, I put Orakpo in front of Brown. Brown seems to have a lot of love from this forum, but most guys in the know have him down the list due to the fact that all he can do, or has done, is go upfield in a speed rush. And he's probably maxed out his body. He's shorter than you would like on the outside as well. If he turns out to be Dwight Freeney that's one thing, but he hasn't shown enough, especially in the run game, to be that complete player. He's got an amazing first step, but that's just not enough to be anything other than the second coming of Elvis Dumervil - if he's lucky. Orakpo is big and amazingly strong which would help him against NFL caliber tackles. He also is able to play the run more effectively than Brown. He seems to be a bit stiff in his mechanics, but look to have more upside than Brown. Add to the argument that Brown was a 2nd Team All-American, while Orakpo was a consensus first team, and also won the Hendricks (top DE), the Lombardi (top D lineman) and Nagurski (top defensive player). Both are good players, but I think that Orakpo is the better player.

Otter
04-23-2009, 03:19 AM
If they don't trade down the best tackle available.

If the do trade down probably the same scenario.

It all starts with the lines.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 03:22 AM
Let me fix that for you:

1. Paul Kruger
2. Brian Orakpo
3. Everette Brown
4. Robert Ayers
5. Tyson Jackson
6. Larry English
7. Cody Brown
8. Aaron Maybin
9. Connor Barwin
10. Lawrence Sidbury

Kruger has short arms, lacks explosiveness, and has a bad injury history. He's pure dirt.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 03:23 AM
If they don't trade down the best tackle available.

If the do trade down probably the same scenario.

It all starts with the lines.

Of the last 10 teams to win a Super Bowl, how many had more than 1 first rounder on the line?

Otter
04-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Of the last 10 teams to win a Super Bowl, how many had more than 1 first rounder on the line?

I don't know.

I'm making my guess by the draft strengths and the fact we already have our starting QB. You start at the QB and start working back from there when building a team.

Just a guess, nothing more.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 04:00 AM
I don't know.

I'm making my guess by the draft strengths and the fact we already have our starting QB. You start at the QB and start working back from there when building a team.

Just a guess, nothing more.

The Pats won 3 Super Bowls, and had no first rounders on their line
The '99 Rams had 1, Pace
The 2000 Ravens had 1, Ogden
The 2002 Bucs had 1, and it was their RT, Kenyatta Walker
The 2005 Steelers had 3, they were a 6 seed, and none were taken higher than 23.
The 2006 Colts had 1, Tarik Glenn
The 2007 Giants had 0.
The 2008 Steelers had 0.

So, If you average those out you get an average of .7 first rounders per Super Bowl champion.

Five teams had no first rounders, 4 had 1, 0 had 2, and one had 3.

Of those 7 first rounders, 4 were taken in the top 20 and two in the top 10.

We already have one. Logic would dictate that we are far better served addressing other needs rather than bloating our cap with OL that we are unable to retain (see the Steelers with Hartings, Faneca, and Simmons).

Remember, even when we had our best line, there was only one first rounder on it, Roaf, two UDFAs (Waters and Wiegmann), a third rounder, and a fourth rounder.

salame
04-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Yeah but those teams you listed had several years of a consistent unit and much better coaching than most of the chiefs have ever had.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Yeah but those teams you listed had several years of a consistent unit and much better coaching than most of the chiefs have ever had.

If we aren't winning the Super Bowl next year, and 2009 isn't the last NFL season ever, I fail to see what your point is.

salame
04-23-2009, 04:24 AM
you know I guess my point was that with a truly good o-line coach and a consistent unit of players you don't need first round lineman
I wasn't disagreeing

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Remember, even when we had our best line, there was only one first rounder on it, Roaf, two UDFAs (Waters and Wiegmann), a third rounder, and a fourth rounder.

Actually, the Chiefs best line was Tait and Roaf at the OT spot. So, there were two first rounders.

Coach
04-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Ryan Douchebag, TE, Jackson State.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2009, 05:13 AM
The '99 Rams had 1, Pace
The 2005 Steelers had 3, they were a 6 seed, and none were taken higher than 23.
The 2007 Giants had 0.
The 2008 Steelers had 0.

So, If you average those out you get an average of .7 first rounders per Super Bowl champion.

We already have one. Logic would dictate that we are far better served addressing other needs rather than bloating our cap with OL that we are unable to retain (see the Steelers with Hartings, Faneca, and Simmons).

Damien Woody was a first round center. So, the Pats had one for two of their three Super Bowls. He left before their last one, I believe.

They also drafted another first rounder in 2005, Mankins.

Now, you are incorrect about the Chiefs offensive line. When they were the 'best', they have Roaf and Tait as the bookends, two first rounders.

They also had Shields and Waters, two pro bowlers. They had a ton of money in that line.

I am not a big fan of an OT at #3, but I won't be upset about it.

Pioli Zombie
04-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Something like the deal with Washington. Tyson Jackson
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Damien Woody was a first round center. So, the Pats had one for two of their three Super Bowls. He left before their last one, I believe.

They also drafted another first rounder in 2005, Mankins.

Now, you are incorrect about the Chiefs offensive line. When they were the 'best', they have Roaf and Tait as the bookends, two first rounders.

They also had Shields and Waters, two pro bowlers. They had a ton of money in that line.

I am not a big fan of an OT at #3, but I won't be upset about it.

I overlooked Woody, but Mankins has been on 0 SB winners.

The Chiefs line was no better with Tait than Welbourn at RT, and Welbourn was cheaper.

They scored 1 fewer point with Welbourn and Roaf at bookends, and led the league in yardage.

You also seem to lack reading comprehension. Waters=UDFA, Shields=3rd rounder. Whether or not they were pro bowlers only further undermines your argument, as it shows you don't need high picks to get elite production from your line.

Furthermore, if you want to get technical about what they truly invested in their line, Roaf was had for only a mid round pick, so even then they only truly had 3 draft picks worth of investment on that line, and none after '03, when it was at it's apex.

Moreover, the fact that we won shit with one of the best lines in NFL history should show you how important stacking your o-line really is.

Bane
04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Trade down,draft Orakapo,and use the additional picks for O line

Otter
04-23-2009, 06:42 AM
The '99 Rams had 1, Pace
The 2007 Giants had 0.
The 2008 Steelers had 0.

How are these stats relevant without taking into consideration factors such as what those teams needs were and what was available in prior drafts?

Do you really think the stats would be that much different if you did it for RB, WR, DL or anything but QB?

Did you notice there's only 7 teams in that sample pool?

Come on Hamas, you're smarter than this.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 06:58 AM
How are these stats relevant without taking into consideration factors such as what those teams needs were and what was available in prior drafts?

Do you really think the stats would be that much different if you did it for RB, WR, DL or anything but QB?

I believe there were 8 teams this year of 32 that had 2 first round picks on their line. They averaged 7-9 and had 0 playoff victories.

The Cowboys dynasty never had a 1st round lineman starting for them.

The 49ers dynasty had one first round pick on their five SB teams, Harris Barton.

At what point do people realize that investing this much money is foolhardy?

htismaqe
04-23-2009, 08:05 AM

So don't limit it to this year.

Go back TWENTY years and look at the playoff teams that had more than 1 first round offensive lineman. You might find 1 or 2.

It's quite simple - statistics don't favor teams with multiple first rounders on the line.

Furthermore, draft a lineman with the #3 overall pick produces the INSTANT EXPECTATION that he's the starting LT, based on his draft position and especially on his salary.

The ONLY outcome of drafting a lineman at #3 is moving Brandon Albert to another position, when he's EARNED the starting LT job going away. It's not only not fair, to him or the team, but it's STUPID.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I overlooked Woody, but Mankins has been on 0 SB winners.

The Chiefs line was no better with Tait than Welbourn at RT, and Welbourn was cheaper.

They scored 1 fewer point with Welbourn and Roaf at bookends, and led the league in yardage.

You also seem to lack reading comprehension. Waters=UDFA, Shields=3rd rounder. Whether or not they were pro bowlers only further undermines your argument, as it shows you don't need high picks to get elite production from your line.

Furthermore, if you want to get technical about what they truly invested in their line, Roaf was had for only a mid round pick, so even then they only truly had 3 draft picks worth of investment on that line, and none after '03, when it was at it's apex.

Moreover, the fact that we won shit with one of the best lines in NFL history should show you how important stacking your o-line really is.

Again, I am not in favor of drafting a OT at #3. But, I think you are way overstating things.

#1) I know that Mankins has not won a Super Bowl. But for someone to read your post, they may have assumed that the Pats didn't take OL in the first round, which would be incorrect.

#2) The Chiefs went 13-3 with Roaf and Tait. The Chiefs went 7-9 with Roaf and Welbourn. There was a HUGE dropoff to Welbourn. And, you aren't being intellectually honest if you are trying to argue otherwise. That, or you have no idea what you are looking at. The Chiefs gave up 11 more sacks in 2004 and Green had five more INT's.

The reality is that you can argue that teams can win a super bowl with late round picks at 'any' position. While I understand, and AGREE that taking an offensive lineman #3 overall is not ideal. The reality is that it is still a need for this team, and there will be a premier player available at the position.

Finally, the Chiefs teams won nothing with that offensive line, but they were able to get HOF production from a solid, not spectacular QB, and two less than great WR's. The failures of that Chiefs team were about the defense, and frankly, that was because of poor signings, not the lack of money spent on that side of the ball due to an offensive line that was paid too much.

Again, I agree with you in principle. However, there are not hard fast rules when building a team. Every year is a different group of players with a different group of strengths, and you have to make your picks based on the situation, not some set of arbitrary rules.

Chiefnj2
04-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Chiefs stay at 3 and take Curry.

If KC falls to around the 10th pick - Jackson, Orakpo or A. Smith.

Coogs
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Two days before the draft...

Crabtree. Then offensive line. It's not a 1 year fix, defense will be taken care of next year.

Reasoning... Albert is fine at LT. We need a RT, but can get one of those in 3rd round, or 2nd if we trade down a few spots.

If TG is indeed going to be traded, then Cassel is going to need another WR. In fact it would be a must, as with just one WR threat in Bowe we would neither be able to pass or run the ball with any consistancy at all.

Two days out... Crabtree.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2009, 08:38 AM
So don't limit it to this year.

Go back TWENTY years and look at the playoff teams that had more than 1 first round offensive lineman. You might find 1 or 2.

It's quite simple - statistics don't favor teams with multiple first rounders on the line.

Furthermore, draft a lineman with the #3 overall pick produces the INSTANT EXPECTATION that he's the starting LT, based on his draft position and especially on his salary.

The ONLY outcome of drafting a lineman at #3 is moving Brandon Albert to another position, when he's EARNED the starting LT job going away. It's not only not fair, to him or the team, but it's STUPID.

To call it stupid is silly. Anytime you have an opportunity to upgrade a position on your team, doing so is not stupid.

I am not sold, absolutely not sold on taking a OT at the spot. Nor, do I think the Chiefs will do so. However, if they do, I won't categorize the move as stupid.

We could go through the entire history of the NFL and look at Super Bowl teams and come up with the fact that Super Bowl winners, on average don't have more than one first rounder at ANY Position.

So, does that mean that a team 'shouldn't' have more than one first rounder at any position?

Every year is different. I hope that they don't select an OT, but I will understand the thinking if they do.

Duck Dog
04-23-2009, 08:41 AM
We will trade down with the Skins. Not yet sure who we take.

10K posts in just 9 years. Yeeehaaa!

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Two days before the draft...

Crabtree. Then offensive line. It's not a 1 year fix, defense will be taken care of next year.

Reasoning... Albert is fine at LT. We need a RT, but can get one of those in 3rd round, or 2nd if we trade down a few spots.

If TG is indeed going to be traded, then Cassel is going to need another WR. In fact it would be a must, as with just one WR threat in Bowe we would neither be able to pass or run the ball with any consistancy at all.

Two days out... Crabtree.

I will give you props if Crabtree is the pick because I don't think there is any way the Chiefs go with Crabtree. Seriously, I don't see it as even a possibility.

I think Curry is the best pick because he is the best player, but I think Pioli will go with the defensive or offensive line.

And, since I don't think that any player on the defensive line is worth the #3 overall pick, I guess I think the Chiefs will take an OT... IF they can't trade down.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
To call it stupid is silly. Anytime you have an opportunity to upgrade a position on your team, doing so is not stupid.

I am not sold, absolutely not sold on taking a OT at the spot. Nor, do I think the Chiefs will do so. However, if they do, I won't categorize the move as stupid.

We could go through the entire history of the NFL and look at Super Bowl teams and come up with the fact that Super Bowl winners, on average don't have more than one first rounder at ANY Position.

So, does that mean that a team 'shouldn't' have more than one first rounder at any position?

Every year is different. I hope that they don't select an OT, but I will understand the thinking if they do.

This is just retarded.

First of all, it's a bad argument to even suggest that the #2 LT in this class would be an upgrade over Albert at that position.

Secondly, let's assume that you call that a wash, assume that he can be as good, or better, and you move Albert inside. You've then spent a #3 pick on incrementally (if it works out perfectly) improving your blindside, and improving your interior line or bookend by a sizable margin. Meanwhile, you could spend a third round pick on a player who could play RT at a pro bowl level, and compensate him at 1/30th the rate of the guy you would take at three.

Again, I ask.

Would you rather dump 60 Million into Eugene Monroe, and move Albert and his decent salary to RT or LG, or 2 million into a RT in the third round, and draft someone at three who could possibly anchor the defense, or be a franchise signal caller for the next decade, and give you the opportunity to offload Cassel for more than what you paid for him?

Coogs
04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I will give you props if Crabtree is the pick because I don't think there is any way the Chiefs go with Crabtree. Seriously, I don't see it as even a possibility.

I think Curry is the best pick because he is the best player, but I think Pioli will go with the defensive or offensive line.

And, since I don't think that any player on the defensive line is worth the #3 overall pick, I guess I think the Chiefs will take an OT... IF they can't trade down.

In my mind, I am thinking if it is not Crabtree then it is going to be an OT.

Which pretty much seals the deal that the pick will be a defensive player. :)

Chiefnj2
04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Offload Cassel - ha, ha, ha.

Amnorix
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM

You are the master of taking interesting data and making really big leaps with it to where it's just completely unsupportable.

How many teams over the last 10 years had more than 1 first rounder on the line? I really doubt it's a very high percentage of the league. Certainly Centers and Guards are infrequent 1st rounders at best. You'll see 1 or 2 guys a year at most. The positional value isn't there.

But honestly, if they think one of these OTs is the second coming of Munoz or whatever, then of course they'll take him.

Amnorix
04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
I think the order of thinking goes like this:

1. TRADE BACK IF POSSIBLE.

2. Did I mention trade the hell back?

3. Take defense, preferably a pass-rusher.

The Chiefs have a huge hole in their draft. After the #3 pick they don't go again until what? 62. They're definitely going to want to slide back and fill that gap if they can, or otherwise get value. The Chiefs are talent deficient, and need to grab some extra picks to help start to catch up on the talen gap.

TommyHawk69
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
I am all for the trade back scenario.

What about bills after trading away Peters?

Chiefnj2
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I am all for the trade back scenario.

What about bills after trading away Peters?

The Bills will most likely need a LOT. At #11 they have a good shot at Oher, and an outside shot at A. Smith. Would they think that Monroe/J. Smith (whoever the Rams don't take) is worth the loss of their later 1st round pick? I doubt it.

CoMoChief
04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
- Trade down with DEN in 1st rd
- Trade Tony Gonzalez (as much as it hurts to say that) to ATL for 2nd rd pick.
- Trade Larry Johnson for 3rd rd pick
- Trade next season's 1st to ARZ for Boldin

1 - OT Oher (Ole Miss)
1 - DE Jackson (LSU)
2 - RB Bown (UConn)
3 - NT Brace (Boston Coll)
3 - OL Caldwell (Bama)
4 - TE Coffman (MU)
5 - WR Wallace (Ole Miss)
6 - OT Watkins (Florida)
7 - K Louie Sakoda (Utah)

Mr. Kotter
04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
My pick: I don't know....

Because, IMHO Pioli is pulling out all the stops to trade away that Number 3 pick.

If we get stuck at three, I suspect it's gonna be Curry, if he's available....or a "reach" for an impact NT, or pass-rushing DE or OLB.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2009, 09:23 AM
This is just retarded.

First of all, it's a bad argument to even suggest that the #2 LT in this class would be an upgrade over Albert at that position.

Secondly, let's assume that you call that a wash, assume that he can be as good, or better, and you move Albert inside. You've then spent a #3 pick on incrementally (if it works out perfectly) improving your blindside, and improving your interior line or bookend by a sizable margin. Meanwhile, you could spend a third round pick on a player who could play RT at a pro bowl level, and compensate him at 1/30th the rate of the guy you would take at three.

Again, I ask.

Would you rather dump 60 Million into Eugene Monroe, and move Albert and his decent salary to RT or LG, or 2 million into a RT in the third round, and draft someone at three who could possibly anchor the defense, or be a franchise signal caller for the next decade, and give you the opportunity to offload Cassel for more than what you paid for him?

Okay, I don't see a franchise signal caller available at #3 because the only one in the draft, IMO is Stafford and he will be gone.

The only defensive player that I am completely sold on is Curry.

Raji is more like Glen Dorsey than anyone in here seems to understand. I know he is a 'bigger' guy, but he is still more of a penetrator than a guy that will just eat up blockers.

I like Jackson, but he is a reach at #3.

I don't think that taking an ILB is any smarter than a guard/RT at #3 (which I agree is effectively what the Chiefs would be doing).

My problem is that I don't like Sanchez or Raji.

Rain Man
04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
It'll be Monroe unless they do some gymnastics to draft and trade Sanchez.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 09:33 AM
- Trade down with DEN in 1st rd
- Trade Tony Gonzalez (as much as it hurts to say that) to ATL for 2nd rd pick.
- Trade Larry Johnson for 3rd rd pick
- Trade next season's 1st to ARZ for Boldin

1 - OT Oher (Ole Miss)
1 - DE Jackson (LSU)
2 - RB Bown (UConn)
3 - NT Brace (Boston Coll)
3 - OL Caldwell (Bama)
4 - TE Coffman (MU)
5 - WR Wallace (Ole Miss)
6 - OT Watkins (Florida)
7 - K Louie Sakoda (Utah)

You are trading what will most likely be a top 10 pick for Anquan Boldin?

Fuck me with a rubber hammer.

CoMoChief
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
You are trading what will most likely be a top 10 pick for Anquan Boldin?

**** me with a rubber hammer.

You dont know that.

Btw - why not a real hammer? Aren't you man enough?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-23-2009, 09:38 AM
You dont know that.

Btw - why not a real hammer? Aren't you man enough?

Think about how much bigger a rubber hammer is, dumbass.

That's the equivalent of trading for Boldin. But hey, the world doesn't exist beyond 2009, so let's flush it all and WINRIGHTFUCKINGNOW!!

CoMoChief
04-23-2009, 09:50 AM

That's the equivalent of trading for Boldin. But hey, the world doesn't exist beyond 2009, so let's flush it all and WINRIGHT****INGNOW!!

A real hammer would hurt more. esp if it were to get broken off in your ass.

Theres nothing wrong with winning right now as long as you draft well while doing it.

Otter
04-23-2009, 09:51 AM

That's the equivalent of trading for Boldin. But hey, the world doesn't exist beyond 2009, so let's flush it all and WINRIGHT****INGNOW!!

Actually the Mayan calendar is predicting we may not exist beyond 2012.

Now doubt Yellowstone will erupt jettisoning the kicker that shall go unnamed's lifeless corpse into Indianapolis Stadium with 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl altering the trajectory of the would be winning field goal for the Chiefs in one final act of tragic irony for Chiefs fans before we're wiped out of existence.

ct
04-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Trade down to 12/13, select DE Tyson Jackson, LSU.

Chiefnj2
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Trade down to 12/13, select DE Tyson Jackson, LSU.

Do you think Jackson fits into the 4-3 under scheme?

beach tribe
04-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I hope we move down to 13, and get Maualuga, and land larry english, or connor barwin later with a trade going up a few spots.

Coogs
04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm sticking with my earlier today prediction.

El Jefe
04-23-2009, 01:29 PM
It'll be Monroe unless they do some gymnastics to draft and trade Sanchez.

I'd rather slit my wrist with a plastic spoon than listen to anyone trying to justify taking a tackle with the #3 pick. I would take Curry before I would take an OT, and I do not want Curry at all.

MoreLemonPledge
04-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Well, if we can't trade down, it will be Raji or Crabtree (now that Tony's gone).

Archie Bunker
04-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Crabtree does seem a more likely now and he's about the only top prospect the Chiefs haven't been linked to, maybe Pioli has smokescreened everyone.

Chiefnj2
04-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Crabtree does seem a more likely now and he's about the only top prospect the Chiefs haven't been linked to, maybe Pioli has smokescreened everyone.

I don't think they needed a smokescreen to get Crabtree.

Cormac
04-23-2009, 02:01 PM
If we stay at 3 - Curry.

If we trade down - Tyson Jackson.

Brock
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
As of right now, Pettigrew. :Poke:

the Talking Can
04-23-2009, 02:04 PM
As of right now, Pettigrew. :Poke:

:deevee:

keg in kc
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing it's someone in the middle of the round that nobody expects.

the Talking Can
04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
i am stumped

i think it is Raji, but I don't think he fits the profile of an uber-committed player...jackson seems like a smoke screen....

Crabtree is the sexy pick now that tony is gone......

Mecca
04-23-2009, 03:52 PM
If they traded next years 1st for Boldin that would blow. Next years class has a ton of top end elite defensive players in it...

And if we draft Orakpo I will puke.

Nightfyre
04-23-2009, 04:09 PM
The tony g move supports the braylon edwards trade scenario! Woo woo!
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
The tony g move supports the braylon edwards trade scenario! Woo woo!
Posted via Mobile Device

Great.

The top two pass dropping players in the league.

The Bad Guy
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm changing my tune and saying Crabtree is the pick at 3.

Mecca
04-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Man if they want a WR we could significantly drop and get a player who is rated similar to Crabtree.

Crabtree did nothing to distance himself from the pack.

The Bad Guy
04-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Man if they want a WR we could significantly drop and get a player who is rated similar to Crabtree.

Crabtree did nothing to distance himself from the pack.

I'll put some trust in Haley with this one. The guy has been around the best in the NFL. If he feels Crabtree is worth it, I'll take my chances in supporting the move.

Blick
04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Tyson Jackson is my guess.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2009, 09:02 PM
If they traded next years 1st for Boldin that would blow. Next years class has a ton of top end elite defensive players in it...

Are there any players in the Big 12 that you like?

Coogs
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM

I agree with this totally. I am, however, on the other side of the fence on Crabtree. I would love a Bowe and Crabtree combo with some O-line help early Saturday and Sunday.

Major players on the defensive side of the ball next year.

Nightfyre
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Great.

The top two pass dropping players in the league.

Hey, they are having a slump. And Haley can make them catch. I am confident in that.

Edit: Edwards value is low, but his ceiling is HIGH! C'mon, buy low, sell high!

Jethopper
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM

:thumb:

Dante84
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM

I would rather 69 with a goat carcass than draft Tyson Jackson.

Blick
04-23-2009, 11:19 PM

Have fun with that. :p

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2009, 11:22 PM

Uh, that would be a 68

T-post Tom
04-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Actually the Mayan calendar is predicting we may not exist beyond 2012.

Now doubt Yellowstone will erupt jettisoning the kicker that shall go unnamed's lifeless corpse into Indianapolis Stadium with 2 seconds left in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl altering the trajectory of the would be winning field goal for the Chiefs in one final act of tragic irony for Chiefs fans before we're wiped out of existence.

Only one minor flaw with your theory, sir: his/her transgendered body wouldn't be hard or sturdy enough to breach the dome's roof.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-24-2009, 12:55 AM
You are the master of taking interesting data and making really big leaps with it to where it's just completely unsupportable.

How many teams over the last 10 years had more than 1 first rounder on the line? I really doubt it's a very high percentage of the league. Certainly Centers and Guards are infrequent 1st rounders at best. You'll see 1 or 2 guys a year at most. The positional value isn't there.

But honestly, if they think one of these OTs is the second coming of Munoz or whatever, then of course they'll take him.

1/4 of the league last year had two 1st round OL on them and they averaged 7-9 with 0 playoff wins.

the Talking Can
04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Raji

FAX
04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
We're in a pretty tough situation. Pretty tough, indeed.

I like Curry. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if we take a QB should we remain stuck at 3.

I'm going to say Curry. We have needs everywhere (including TE, as it happens), but the fastest way to get this team over the hump will be to fix the defense.

FAX

EyePod
04-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Trade down to 13, Maualuga

jAZ
04-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Aaron Curry.

MikeMaslowski
04-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Trade our first round pick for Boldin?

MikeMaslowski
04-25-2009, 08:26 AM
or fitz?

Pioli Zombie
04-25-2009, 08:40 AM
A krabby patty
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
04-25-2009, 08:43 AM
I want Sanchez...

MikeMaslowski
04-25-2009, 08:46 AM
silly sanchez writing on his face....

Reerun_KC
04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Draft Sanchez if he is there and trade Cassel...

wild1
04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I wonder if it might not be a good idea to take Sanchez. Washington might just stay where they are if they think he's going to fall. That way we could be sure to get the trade proceeds. More than one team would be interested.

I think Pioli will make a trade happen either way.

Messier
04-25-2009, 09:26 AM

The Chiefs don't want Sanchez. I know you do, but the Chiefs wanted Cassel and he is our QB.

htismaqe
04-25-2009, 11:11 AM
The Chiefs don't want Sanchez. I know you do, but the Chiefs wanted Cassel and he is our QB.

You hope.

You don't know that this is true anymore than the people on the other side do.

DeezNutz
04-25-2009, 11:12 AM

I think it's far more likely that we could draft and trade Sanchez.

Dante84
04-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Have fun with that. :p

If things pan out like the "experts" on ESPN say they should, then I may have to actually go through with this whole goat carcass 69'ing thing to prevent this Jackson bullshit from happening.

God Damnit.... what if Pioli calls me and seriously asks me to?

I'd have no choice.

Is his daughter getting married today?