PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Heating and AC? Anybody bought new lately?

gblowfish
04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Have a Carrier heating/AC system that's now 30 years old. Obviously time to do a replacement. Don't know the square footage of my house, it's not huge, 3 bedrooms, 1 car garage, full basement, pretty typical suburban home built in 1940s.

I've done new roof, new gutters, all new windows, all new appliances, now time to replace that old furnace AC.

Anybody in the biz? Recommend a particular brand (Lennox, Rheem, Bryant, Trane, Carrier, American Standard)?

Any companies who do work in Independence area who do a great job, or anybody to avoid?

As always, your vast pool of knowledge is mucho appreciato.

excessive
04-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Just spent $7500 dollar on a new furnace, air conditioner and minor duct work. Went top of line with Amana because of the 10 year warranty they were offering then. My best advice would be to get multiple bids. I only got two and feel I probably should have done a third, just because of the differences in advice and cost you get. There was almost $2000 dollar difference in the bids, and the one I took was even an upgrade in equipment.

rambleonthruthefog
04-23-2009, 12:31 PM
don't let em bend you over. if its new it will work fine. as long as its one of the main ac companys. they are going to try to sell you much more ac than you need remember that. if your gonna do it do both the furnace and condensing unit.

Skip Towne
04-23-2009, 12:41 PM
It's hard to stop a Trane.

DTLB58
04-23-2009, 12:55 PM
3 weeks ago I just got a new Furnance and Heat pump installed.

10 year warranty on parts, 5 years on Labor and had all the duct work cleaned out.

Total Bill $5700

With the Heat pump this particular company gurantees at least 20% saving in utility bill, if you don't they will pay it. They said we could save as much as 40%.

The heat pump will run until about 0 degrees outside and then the Furnance will take over. It takes the place of the air conditioner also.

Good luck.

rambleonthruthefog
04-23-2009, 01:05 PM
oh yeah, if you don't have good insulation in your attic, your new a.c. won't save you jack sh*t utility wise.

DTLB58
04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
oh yeah, if you don't have good insulation in your attic, your new a.c. won't save you jack sh*t utility wise.

Nope, That's why last spring I added more than a foot in the attic and did the walls to. Also, new windows and siding last year. :D

gblowfish
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
My attic has really good insulation, and house already has steel siding and all new windows. So, I think it will hold the air OK. Do need to get the ducts cleaned for sure.

BWillie
04-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I have a home warranty on my 31 year old furnace. I'm praying it goes out any day now. If it doesn't, I'll just have to make sure I buy another home warranty and get it inspected by a heating and cooling guy to make sure they can't f*ck me and say it wasn't properly maintained.

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Just spent $7500 dollar on a new furnace, air conditioner and minor duct work. Went top of line with Amana because of the 10 year warranty they were offering then. My best advice would be to get multiple bids. I only got two and feel I probably should have done a third, just because of the differences in advice and cost you get. There was almost $2000 dollar difference in the bids, and the one I took was even an upgrade in equipment.

Wow, that seems expensive.

I had a new air conditioner/electric heater installed on my home last summer for $5,800 including tax and crane fee.

It's a Carrier.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Heat pump is the only way to go. Saves you money and does the job just as well, if not better.

Sandyskc
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I like United Heating and Cooling, but I agree, get several estimates. Most units are now made by the same company and the "brand name" sticker is added later.

NCarlsCorner2
04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Have a Carrier heating/AC system that's now 30 years old. Obviously time to do a replacement. Don't know the square footage of my house, it's not huge, 3 bedrooms, 1 car garage, full basement, pretty typical suburban home built in 1940s.

I've done new roof, new gutters, all new windows, all new appliances, now time to replace that old furnace AC.

Anybody in the biz? Recommend a particular brand (Lennox, Rheem, Bryant, Trane, Carrier, American Standard)?

Any companies who do work in Independence area who do a great job, or anybody to avoid?

I'm in the business, Call your cooling man from..........................

Phobia
04-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Call Chris from http://boanheatingcooling.intuitwebsites.com/Home.html

Dave Lane
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM

PM me I have a guy who does awesome work and is 1/2 the cost of any other bid you will get. He's worked for Phil on a tough job if you need another recommendation

Bill Lundberg
04-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I have a home warranty on my 31 year old furnace. I'm praying it goes out any day now. If it doesn't, I'll just have to make sure I buy another home warranty and get it inspected by a heating and cooling guy to make sure they can't f*ck me and say it wasn't properly maintained.

Your home warranty will not cover the cost to replace your furnace. I can promise you that. It will give you a nice discount, but won't replace the unit once it goes.