PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with Scott Pioli &Todd Haley on Trade of Tony Gonzalez Apr 23, 2009

aturnis
04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Q&A with Scott Pioli &Todd Haley on Trade of Tony Gonzalez (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/04/23/qa_with_scott_pioli_todd_haley_on_trade_of_tony_gonzalez/)
Apr 23, 2009, 3:58:43 PM

<object width="249" height="290" id="delve_player776448o" classid="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://assets.delvenetworks.com/player/loader.swf"/><param name="wmode" value="window"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="flashvars" value="ldr=ldr&amp;channelId=3ae0242875334dcf955d884fb9bbd0b8&amp;playerForm=00000000000000000000000000000004"/><embed src="http://assets.delvenetworks.com/player/loader.swf" name="delve_player776448e" wmode="window" width="249" height="290" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="ldr=ldr&amp;channelId=3ae0242875334dcf955d884fb9bbd0b8&amp;playerForm=00000000000000000000000000000004"></embed></object>

SCOTT PIOLI: “As you all know, we traded Tony Gonzalez to the (Atlanta) Falcons today for a second round pick in the 2010 draft. As I mentioned in our statement, from an organizational standpoint and a personal standpoint there is a lot of mixed emotions here.

“I have tremendous personal and professional respect for Tony. He has had a Hall of Fame career on the football field as well as a Hall of Fame career here in the Kansas City community. The teams I was with played against Tony numerous times and he was always a handful. He is a tremendous player who you have to take a lot of time to prepare for. I am not going to get into specifics of our conversations with the Falcons other than to say we did not seek to trade Tony, however, there was an opportunity that came to us and after a lot of internal discussions in a short time we decided to make the trade.”

Q: How much did Tony want out to play somewhere else?

PIOLI: “I have no idea. Tony and I never had conversations, nor did Todd and I, about that and I want to try to stay away from characterizing Tony’s thoughts or comments. We didn’t get the sense that he wanted that.”

Q: Even though he wasn’t around for the mini-camp over the weekend?

PIOLI: “I’m not sure that was an indication of anything. I’m not certain he’s been here the last few years for a voluntary mini-camp. Again, I don’t know that for sure because I wasn’t here but that’s my understanding.”

Q: So, this was a case where neither you nor anyone else ever went to Tony and said, ‘are you okay with this – the trade?’ You just went ahead and made the trade.

PIOLI: “We did what was in the best interest of the Kansas City Chiefs in the short term and the long term.”

Q: It sounds like you didn’t pursue the trade but when a team offered a second round pick for a 12-year veteran that was what probably pushed you to make the move. Was it almost too good to pass up?

PIOLI: “They came to us on this and after we had internal discussions on what the opportunity was and what the pick was and the overall situation – and I’ve talked a couple of times about the picture of the organization now and in the future – we felt that a second round pick in 2010 was an acceptable value for the trade.”

Q: Did you push to get a pick in this year’s draft or was 2010 the only way it could get done?

PIOLI: “Again, out of respect for everyone involved in the trade I would prefer not to discuss what was involved in my conversations with Thomas. I think what the most important thing is what the end result of the trade is and that’s the second round pick.”

Q: Did Tony find out from you guys that he was getting traded?

PIOLI: “He found out from us once we were at the point of consummating the trade. I called Tony and had a conversation with Tony. Todd and I spoke with Tony.”

Q: You never talked to Tony personally or Todd never talked to Tony personally earlier?

PIOLI: “Todd and I both spoke to Tony here once the trade was going down. Now, the question you asked was had we had conversations with Tony and how he felt about being here. Let’s be sure we have that straight.”

Q: Let me clarify that one more time: at any discussions you ever had with Tony he never said, ‘I want out. I would like to be traded.” That goes for both of you guys.

PIOLI: “Without getting into details, I would say that’s fair. That’s accurate, but that being said I’m not going to get into any of the other details. We talked to Tony about a lot of different things since we’ve been here. We’ve talked to a lot of players about a lot of different things here including Tony.”

twitterQ: Matt Cassel just lost a valuable weapon obviously. What do you say to Chiefs fans who may think that trading Gonzalez means you’re really building towards 2010 and looking at this season as a rebuilding year?

TODD HALEY: “I would say it’s never easy when you lose a popular player, especially one that has had a career like Tony to this point. That’s always difficult. But after a lot of discussions this was the direction we decided to go and was best for the Chiefs now and in the future.”

PIOLI: “We don’t believe in the rebuilding term. This is something we really feel is in the best short term and long term interest of the Kansas City Chiefs and the program we’re moving forward with right now.”

Q: Why is it in the best short term interests?

PIOLI: “The pick that is the 2010 pick right now is, as we sit here, could very well be a pick that’s a second round in 2010 but that pick, as you all know can be used in a lot of different ways and can somehow end up being a pick that’s used in the draft this year. So, in terms of us continuing to bring in players and build a roster with players it may be that pick will be the Falcons pick next year or it may be a different pick this year or several picks.”

Q: How do you replace a guy like Tony who has been such an invaluable offensive weapon? What do you have here that gave you the confidence that in this first year with a new quarterback you could do it without a player like Tony?

HALEY: “It’s tough when you let go of a player that has put up the number he has. I don’t know that I have a direct answer for that right now. We felt that it was best for us right now, all things considered. We’re doing everything we can to give ourselves the best chance to win games in 2009.”

PIOLI: “There are a lot of things that need to be taken into consideration any time you make any player move, whether it’s a trade or a release or a signing. This is one move in a number of other moves that have been made this off-season in terms of acquiring players and acquiring picks. Again, it’s about the totality of the player moves, acquisitions and trades that complete the mosaic of building a football team.”

Q: Do you remember looking at Brad Cottam when he came out in the draft last year and what are your thoughts on him after watching video on him and also looking at him at the recent mini-camp?

HALEY: “I remember Brad coming out in the draft and he was a player that was of interest to us. Today is about Tony Gonzalez and what went on there. I don’t want to get into player specifics at this time.”

Q: But Brad’s your guy right now.

HALEY: “Brad’s been in here and working hard and doing all the things I’ve asked of him. Like all the other guys I’m encouraged about what he’s doing right now.”

Q: You said you talked to Tony and can you characterize how he felt?

PIOLI: “Again, with all due respect, I’m sure Tony is going to speak at some point in time and it was a private conversation. As we’ve said, private conversations that go on between us and players will remain private especially when I’m not going to characterize what Tony’s thoughts and feelings or beliefs were, just like I wouldn’t expect anyone to speak on behalf of what I was thinking or feeling.”

Q: Can you tell me was it necessary for Tony to have a deal with Atlanta before this deal for Tony became final?

PIOLI: “For Tony to have an agreement? I’m not sure what your understanding is. I don’t know that to be true or not. Tony had three years left on his contract and I know the Falcons had not had conversations with Tony or his representatives. I think that’s a question more for the Atlanta Falcons.”

Q: Would it be fair for someone to say that you guys have to get Matt Cassel some additional help this season for him to have some success? Is that fair?

PIOLI: “Here’s the deal: it’s April 23 and we play our first regular season game September 13 and there is a lot of time between now and then for us to continue to shape our roster. Like I’ve said time and time again, we’re going to continue to find ways to bring football players to this team that can help us win football games.”

HALEY: “In addition to developing the ones that are here right now.”

Q: How important is having a good tight end in building a football team?

HALEY: “Coaching comes down to utilizing the players you have in the best way possible. If that means you have the best guy at any position I still think it comes down to getting the most out of him and what he does best. A lot of teams have won in this league doing it a lot of different ways. There have been some teams that have won a lot of games that you would never say had the best tight end in the league, so to speak, and other positions included.”

aturnis
04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Teicher applies more pressure to the GM/Coach than I've ever head from the KC media. I must admit though, I never heard anything with Jack Harry.

Teicher is butt-hurt.

Mr. Krab
04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
PIOLI: “I have no idea. Tony and I never had conversations, nor did Todd and I, about that and I want to try to stay away from characterizing Tony’s thoughts or comments. We didn’t get the sense that he wanted that.”
WTF, he didn't even talk to him?

Mecca
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM

So? He's doing the work as a business and not as "oh this is my personal friend" big deal.

oldandslow
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Q: Why is it in the best short term interests?

PIOLI: “The pick that is the 2010 pick right now is, as we sit here, could very well be a pick that’s a second round in 2010 but that pick, as you all know can be used in a lot of different ways and can somehow end up being a pick that’s used in the draft this year. So, in terms of us continuing to bring in players and build a roster with players it may be that pick will be the Falcons pick next year or it may be a different pick this year or several picks.”

We aren't done.

Mecca
04-23-2009, 04:38 PM
He's just giving scenarios he's not tipping anything.

Skyy God
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
We aren't done.

Welcome to Tradedownville, population us.

BigRock
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM

"Tony and I never had conversations, nor did Todd and I, about that".

He's saying Tony never said "trade me". He's not saying he never talked to Tony.

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
HALEY: "We’re doing everything we can to give ourselves the best chance to win games in 2009.”

I'm all for the trade but how can anyone state that trading Gonzalez will help the Chiefs win in 2009, when the compensation doesn't even occur until 2010?

That makes no sense.

LaChapelle
04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Pioli is going to make the reporters at least think before asking questions. They can't be liking the responses too well ROFL

Huffman83
04-23-2009, 04:45 PM
This just tells me this isn't personal...It's football.

Mr. Krab
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
"Tony and I never had conversations, nor did Todd and I, about that".

He's saying Tony never said "trade me". He's not saying he never talked to Tony.
Umm, If Tony never said "trade me" then why did they trade him? I call bullshit.

I'm not that upset about trading Tony, i understand the reasoning.

But for someone to tell me that a Gm just upped and traded a veteran player out of the blue with no discussion of "when,where,why etc" then i don't believe it. I mean what if Tony wanted to retire a Chiefs.

Did Pioli take the Media's word for it? Bullshit.

Micjones
04-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Pioli is going to make the reporters at least think before asking questions. They can't be liking the responses too well ROFL

That will honestly lead to better sports journalism.
They'll really have to think instead of having the table set for them.

Redrum_69
04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
So maybe the Chiefs will trade this years #3 pick back to Atlanta for Tony Gonzalez and throw in Larry Johnson for a third round pick in 2011.

WhitiE
04-23-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm all for the trade but how can anyone state that trading Gonzalez will help the Chiefs win in 2009, when the compensation doesn't even occur until 2010?

That makes no sense.

you can use that pick in a trade in this years draft....

wild1
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I remember an article where Tony said he wanted Herm back, and that Thigpen should be the QB this year.

Think about that, about Herm sill being the coach, Tony still being here, Thigpen being the starter. Basically last year's offense returning.

Ouch.

Glad the new sheriff is in town.

Fritz88
04-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Why? Why did not Pioli try to inititae talks with TG and understand his what is going on with him. I could swear the main reason TG wanted to leave is not an SB run but because of the attitude of the new Pioli and Haley.

I am pissed but I will ride with them and see where they take me

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
you can use that pick in a trade in this years draft....

I understand that but if a 2nd round pick next year is devalued by 20% immediately, you're not going to get equal value for that pick this year, so you further devalue that pick.

Again, I like the trade but I don't see how it makes the Chiefs better in 2009.

wild1
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Again, I like the trade but I don't see how it makes the Chiefs better in 2009.

I agree. It doesn't make the Chiefs better in 2009. I'm fine with that.

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree. It doesn't make the Chiefs better in 2009. I'm fine with that.

So am I.

I originally quoted Haley.

HALEY: "We’re doing everything we can to give ourselves the best chance to win games in 2009.”

IMO, trading Gonzalez for a 2010 pick doesn't make the Chiefs better in 2009.

KcFanInGA
04-23-2009, 06:46 PM
They gotta have somethin brewin here, I mean if it is as it stands now, I am really gonna have to search deep to find how this helps now. I hope Cottam can step it up, I like him so far.

L.A. Chieffan
04-23-2009, 06:47 PM
vrabel can play te people

ChiefMojo
04-23-2009, 06:59 PM
So many of your think in the present and don't look at the big picture. When your dealing with Pioli, there are always a step or two already figured out. Sure losing Tony hurts presently when we are looking at the 2009 season, but we don't know what is being set up for the near future. We don't know who we will draft or may trade with picks to get.

What would you guys say if we maneuver around get other 1st round picks and end up with the likes of Boldin and Peppers? We are use to bland straight forward drafting by Carl Peterson. Things are going to be completely different. Don't be surprised if Dorsey, LJ, and Waters are moved as well this weekend or in the near future.

RippedmyFlesh
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
So am I.

I originally quoted Haley.

IMO, trading Gonzalez for a 2010 pick doesn't make the Chiefs better in 2009.
True but haley dropped a hint that the pick could be used to get a player this year.Maybe a team has something we want but didn't want TG but WOULD want that 2nd pick.
Alot of people covet 2nd round picks because of 1st vs 2nd round contracts.
Siavii Freeman etc...I just like our chances now of getting a good player where as in the past...a 2nd in carls hand is a squirt gun...in Pioli's its a m 16.

chiefscafan
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Ok let remind you all that when it said we were trading our second for vrabel everyone here me included freaked out. However we didn't realize there was more to it I believe this is a move done to create other moves have patience.

Contrarian
04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Umm, If Tony never said "trade me" then why did they trade him? I call bullshit.

I'm not that upset about trading Tony, i understand the reasoning.

But for someone to tell me that a Gm just upped and traded a veteran player out of the blue with no discussion of "when,where,why etc" then i don't believe it. I mean what if Tony wanted to retire a Chiefs.

Did Pioli take the Media's word for it? Bullshit.

Who gives a shit if he wanted to retire a Chief?
OK Tony you can retire a Chief and we will continue to get less than adequate production from our WR corp because we are always feeding you the ball. And when it counts to win the game we'll force it to you for the loss by 3 points and this can become your legacy as a Chief. Greatest TE in football but never won a playoff game let alone a ring.:shake:

KCUnited
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
I read this interview before I was able to listen to it on the radio on my ride home. Two very different feels to both of them. These guys don't care for the media at all, I can see a Haley/Teicher blow up looming.

aturnis
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Why? Why did not Pioli try to inititae talks with TG and understand his what is going on with him. I could swear the main reason TG wanted to leave is not an SB run but because of the attitude of the new Pioli and Haley.

I am pissed but I will ride with them and see where they take me

What? Tony requested to be traded last year, and once this offseason, and even after he retracted his statements, there were others saying, "no, he doesn't want to be there, I know he said he did, but he lied".

Tony did not want to be here.