PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jared Allen & Tony Gonzalez

teedubya
04-23-2009, 11:59 PM
I miss them so much. :deevee:

Kyle DeLexus
04-24-2009, 12:37 AM
With Tony I feel "Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late." With Jared, he was 26 and he should be a Chief.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2009, 12:39 AM
With Tony I feel "Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late." With Jared, he was 26 and he should be a Chief.

Jared Allen is a dumbass and he got us a bad ass left tackle so he can fuck himself in Minnesota.

Gravedigger
04-24-2009, 01:08 AM
You have seperation issues, it'll pass.

T-post Tom
04-24-2009, 01:13 AM
ALL other things aside: I will miss watching TG in a Chiefs' uniform. He's been so consistent for so long. I hope he gets to a Superbowl while in the ATL. [And that the Falcons lose to the Chiefs in that Superbowl. ;)]

Miles
04-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Albert has been impressive enough so far for me not to be missing Jared and his issues.

EyePod
04-24-2009, 04:48 AM
I do not miss Jared. I miss Tony a lot. I just opened about 10 packs of football cards two weeks ago and was really excited when one was a Tony G. card. Now I just want to throw it out. I will feel very dirty when I see Tony in a Falcons uniform.

PhillyChiefFan
04-24-2009, 04:57 AM
Part of me is happy for him, and will always see him in a Chiefs jersey, but it's a business and as loyal as we are to our team, the players are not.

Reerun_KC
04-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Jared Allen is a dumbass and he got us a bad ass left tackle so he can **** himself in Minnesota.

What makes Jarred different than all the fans that drink and drive home from the games at Arrowhead?

Just curious?

chiefzilla1501
04-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Jared Allen is a dumbass and he got us a bad ass left tackle so he can **** himself in Minnesota.

The Chiefs ended up okay because they got lucky. It doesn't change the fact that they pushed out a good DE because the GM was too arrogant to treat his player like a human being. If Minnesota didn't offer an all-world package, CP would have looked like a complete jerk.

Reerun_KC
04-24-2009, 05:37 AM
The Chiefs ended up okay because they got lucky. It doesn't change the fact that they pushed out a good DE because the GM was too arrogant to treat his player like a human being. If Minnesota didn't offer an all-world package, CP would have looked like a complete jerk.

I take it you havent been a fan of this team very long?

CP wasted 20 years of our lives with his quest for mediocrity... CP can die in a firey pit of ass and take his true fans with him...

SenselessChiefsFan
04-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Part of me is happy for him, and will always see him in a Chiefs jersey, but it's a business and as loyal as we are to our team, the players are not.

Actually, TG was pretty loyal to the Chiefs. In the end, the Chiefs were far from competing from a Super Bowl, and TG isn't far from being done. He wanted a chance to win the Super Bowl.

It was a win/win in my book.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-24-2009, 06:43 AM

I don't think Jared would fit in the Chiefs new system anyways.

MahiMike
04-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Addition by subtraction.

chiefzilla1501
04-24-2009, 06:51 AM
I take it you havent been a fan of this team very long?

CP wasted 20 years of our lives with his quest for mediocrity... CP can die in a firey pit of ass and take his true fans with him...

No, this is true. But I think a lot of people justify getting rid of Allen because the Chiefs got Albert back. The truth is, Peterson screwed up on the Allen deal and only after the fact got lucky that they found a suitor. It's like the Cutler trade--the Broncos royally screwed up that situation, and only lucked out that they found the right trade value.

Deberg_1990
04-24-2009, 06:53 AM
No, this is true. But I think a lot of people justify getting rid of Allen because the Chiefs got Albert back. The truth is, Peterson screwed up on the Allen deal and only after the fact got lucky that they found a suitor. It's like the Cutler trade--the Broncos royally screwed up that situation, and only lucked out that they found the right trade value.

Please inform us how the Chiefs screwed up?

alanm
04-24-2009, 07:02 AM
What makes Jarred different than all the fans that drink and drive home from the games at Arrowhead?

Just curious?Being a Chief and getting pulled over for a DUI.

Kyle DeLexus
04-24-2009, 07:05 AM

Jared was 25 and under when he got his DUI's, people make mistakes. We could have traded out of a #5 pick and gotten Albert plus more. I would take JA over Dorsey any day.

I feel we would be running a 4-3 and not switching to a 3-4 if we had Jared or any other legit DE.

Katipan
04-24-2009, 07:11 AM
They're both pretty sexy.

That's why, huh.

rad
04-24-2009, 07:12 AM

Imagine on 3rd and goal, out trots Jared Allen and Mike Vrabel in a 2 TE formation?

Katipan
04-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Imagine on 3rd and goal, out trots Jared Allen and Mike Vrabel in a 2 TE formation?

dirty dirty dirty

rad
04-24-2009, 07:14 AM
dirty dirty dirty

Uhhh........ no, not that.

Reerun_KC
04-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Being a Chief and getting pulled over for a DUI.

Okay? So we just want to be hyprocrite's then?

How many Chiefs fans get pulled over every fall for DUI's?

Cormac
.....when he got his DUI's

Need anybody say more?

Reerun_KC
Uhhh........ no, not that.

Time for a shower....

Reerun_KC
04-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Need anybody say more?

Its not like he killed anyone! /Leonard Little...

Cormac
04-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Okay? So we just want to be hyprocrite's then?

How many Chiefs fans get pulled over every fall for DUI's?

At least part of it has to do with the fact he has boatloads of money. Most Chiefs fans blow their discretionary budget paying out the backside for tickets and beers. How could they get a cab home and then return the next morning (on a work day) and retrieve their car and get to work? None of that would have been a problem for JA, and he still got MULTIPLE DUIs.

I'm not condoning drink driving, just saying. I don't know any Chiefs fans who live the life of a Chiefs player.

Kyle DeLexus
04-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Need anybody say more?

Yes, He matured a lot. According to him the guy hasn't had a drink since and has truly learned. If you want to hold a grudge on a guy for something he did almost 2 years ago be my guest, but I see that he has changed. If he gets another I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong, but I believe he has changed and he is a leader of the Vikings D.

Kyle DeLexus
04-24-2009, 07:24 AM
At least part of it has to do with the fact he has boatloads of money. Most Chiefs fans blow their discretionary budget paying out the backside for tickets and beers. How could they get a cab home and then return the next morning (on a work day) and retrieve their car and get to work? None of that would have been a problem for JA, and he still got MULTIPLE DUIs.

I'm not condoning drink driving, just saying. I don't know any Chiefs fans who live the life of a Chiefs player.

BULLSHIT, anyone can get a DD or be a DD. It's not like you go to games alone.

Cormac
04-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Yes, He matured a lot. According to him the guy hasn't had a drink since and has truly learned. If you want to hold a grudge on a guy for something he did almost 2 years ago be my guest, but I see that he has changed. If he gets another I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong, but I believe he has changed and he is a leader of the Vikings D.

Believe me, I am never in favour of trading a team's best players. I still miss T-Rich for Christ sakes ;). I hated that we traded JA last year, and it's no coincidence that we had easily the worst pass rush in NFL history last season. That's Bengals embarassing.

But I find it hard to ignore multiple DUIs from anybody, let alone a privileged NFL star. I still would have preferred to keep him. I realise he's has supposedly changed. But I see no reason to defend his character while he was here.

Cormac
04-24-2009, 07:29 AM
BULLSHIT, anyone can get a DD or be a DD. It's not like you go to games alone.

Wow. Sorry, Jared :spock:

Reerun_KC
04-24-2009, 07:30 AM

Basically your saying that since he has money he should have a DD, but if your a poor fan, you can drink and drive, because your car is at the stadium and you need to get it home, because you cant get it on a monday? Where is the responsibility at?

It was a poor choice all the way around for JA and for the tens of thousands of drunk fans that drive home from Arrowhead after 8 home games a year...

Just because your not a millionare doesnt give you the right to make stupid choices. Then get on a message board and hammer a player who made 2 mistakes...

luv
04-24-2009, 07:31 AM
I missed JA when he first left. I got over it.

I think I'll wait and see what kind off offense Pioli and Haley play before saying I miss TG too much. If he wasn't going to fit, what good would it do to keep him? I miss what he did with the offense we had, and he's saved his number of QB's.

chiefzilla1501
04-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Please inform us how the Chiefs screwed up?

Because as per usual, Carl Peterson treated Jared Allen like a piece of shit. He even used a year-ending press conference to label Jared Allen as an "at risk" player to drive down negotiations. And based on most stories we hear, Peterson refused to even sit down at the table and refused to budge from what was apparently an insultingly low offer. Jared Allen went from being a man of Kansas City, to a guy who despised the entire organization. Business is business, but this was pretty characteristic of typical CP negotiations. Allen was so pissed off at the organization that he wasn't even negotiating anymore. The Chiefs had no choice but to trade him at that point.

Like i said... the Chiefs only did okay because they found an organization dumb enough to offer the moon. Let's assume that the best offer they could get for Allen was a second rounder? It's hard to credit the Chiefs' organization for lucking out. The Chiefs screwed up and then did damage control. There's a difference. And I don't think this is any different than the way the Broncos handled the Cutler situation.

CoMoChief
04-24-2009, 07:39 AM

To be fair, this season would have been perfect to draft a LT in top 3.

Allen should still be a Chief. I know it didn't work out that way.

He's 26, we've tinkered with him in a 3-4 at times during games. He'd be a great rush backer in a 3-4 IMO.

Jared Allen also out-sacked the Chiefs last season after we got rid of him.

HemiEd
04-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Both were great players, and entertaining to watch. We didn't win a playoff game with either of them on the roster. Time to move on.

I am anxious to see how this new approach works, at least these guys really do have a plan. They appear to have the intellect to do some serious constructing.

Herms only plan was where to stash the fig newtons, and that probably taxed his resources.

Cormac
04-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Basically your saying that since he has money he should have a DD, but if your a poor fan, you can drink and drive, because your car is at the stadium and you need to get it home, because you cant get it on a monday? Where is the responsibility at?

It was a poor choice all the way around for JA and for the tens of thousands of drunk fans that drive home from Arrowhead after 8 home games a year...

Just because your not a millionare doesnt give you the right to make stupid choices. Then get on a message board and hammer a player who made 2 mistakes...

Let me try to dumb this down.

Your question was "what makes Jared different to all the Chiefs fans to drink and drive".

My answer to your question was "at least part of it has to do with his money". I also stated "I'm not condoning drink driving" (by anybody).

I know it was a poor choice for JA as it is for the drunk fans. But this is a startling difference in their lifestyles. You asked the question, there's my answer. On top of that.....he did it TWICE!

What part of this is confusing?

Chief Chief
04-24-2009, 07:44 AM
For all of you JA buttlickers out there, please read and completely understand the following:

First of all, which to you is more (take your pick and justify it please) ridiculous/mature: JA demanding contract restructure one day after getting released from jail for his 2nd DUI conviction, or JA running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain, just a couple of months later?

Second, in most games JA played for the Chiefs, he'd be good for 1 or 2 sacks and then, for the most part, one or more of several things would happen in the second half if not before: Either he'd tire out and be pretty much worthless or the opposing tackles would figure out his moves and negate them.

Third, if JA got involved in any alcohol-related incident whatsoever (to include, for example, being under the 0.8 blood alcohol content limit or even totally sober but trying to break up a bar fight), he'd be very much eligible for an 8-game suspension. For those of you scoring at home, that would be half of a 16-game regular season with JA sitting at home and figuring out what other stunts he can try on his free time which just couldn't possibly wait until 2024 or later when he'd most definitely be no longer playing in the NFL.

Fourth, you really wouldn't be happy now when comparing the production of JA vs. his salary (even if it was $10M/year instead of the $12M the Vikes are giving him), knowing that the $$$ tied up into his contract would prevent KC from re-signing other productive players currently on our team roster or pursuing free agents to shore up weak areas.

Fifth, since you're great at licking butt, please feel free to ki$$ my a$$ before preparing your rebuttal (oh yes...that IS one well-intended pun)!

chiefzilla1501
04-24-2009, 07:56 AM
For all of you JA buttlickers out there, please read and completely understand the following:

First of all, which to you is more (take your pick and justify it please) ridiculous/mature: JA demanding contract restructure one day after getting released from jail for his 2nd DUI conviction, or JA running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain, just a couple of months later?

Second, in most games JA played for the Chiefs, he'd be good for 1 or 2 sacks and then, for the most part, one or more of several things would happen in the second half if not before: Either he'd tire out and be pretty much worthless or the opposing tackles would figure out his moves and negate them.

Third, if JA got involved in any alcohol-related incident whatsoever (to include, for example, being under the 0.8 blood alcohol content limit or even totally sober but trying to break up a bar fight), he'd be very much eligible for an 8-game suspension. For those of you scoring at home, that would be half of a 16-game regular season with JA sitting at home and figuring out what other stunts he can try on his free time which just couldn't possibly wait until 2024 or later when he'd most definitely be no longer playing in the NFL.

Fourth, you really wouldn't be happy now when comparing the production of JA vs. his salary (even if it was $10M/year instead of the $12M the Vikes are giving him), knowing that the $$$ tied up into his contract would prevent KC from re-signing other productive players currently on our team roster or pursuing free agents to shore up weak areas.

Fifth, since you're great at licking butt, please feel free to ki$$ my a$$ before preparing your rebuttal (oh yes...that IS one well-intended pun)!

First, there's no excuse for what he did. But using that as an excuse to insultingly lowball an offer is another. I don't mind the Chiefs worrying about the risk, but it's embarrassing that Allen signed a contract with the Vikings that was very risk-friendly.

Second, I'm guessing you didn't watch the Chiefs in 2009. Because the pass rush with and without Allen was night and day. Allen was a difference maker. And I think it's ridiculous to blame a guy for not getting late sacks when he was constantly double and triple teamed, and was constantly pushing QBs into Tamba Hali. Allen got sacks we didn't get in 2009, and he made Hali a much better player.

Third, while true, the Vikings structured a deal that gave Allen incentive to behave. If I'm not mistaken, Allen was never opposed to having any of those in the contract.

Fourth, why not? Jared Allen had a good 5 years left in his body. He was a young, second contract player. And he played a very high-impact position. I would argue that outside of QB, it is the most difficult position to shore up. He would have been worth every dollar and he brought a team with a ridiculously bad QB situation into the playoffs. I'd have no problem paying that kind of coin, especially given that the Chiefs sat on over $20M in cap space last year that did NOT roll over into this season. What I have a problem with is overpaying for a RB with similar behavioral problems who everybody in the locker room despised and who many questioned if he had more than 2-3 years left in his body. Funny how Peterson labeled Allen at risk and yet was pretty forgiving of LJ's long list of problem behavior.

htismaqe
04-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Third, while true, the Vikings structured a deal that gave Allen incentive to behave. If I'm not mistaken, Allen was never opposed to having any of those in the contract.

Actually Jared said publically, more than once, that he wouldn't sign a contract with behavior clauses in it.

He said he was "cured" and that it wasn't necessary.

In hindsight, it's now obvious that it wasn't the contract, it was the TEAM and most-likely Carl Peterson, that made him want to say that.

Chief Chief
04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
First, there's no excuse for what he did. But using that as an excuse to insultingly lowball an offer is another. I don't mind the Chiefs worrying about the risk, but it's embarrassing that Allen signed a contract with the Vikings that was very risk-friendly.

Second, I'm guessing you didn't watch the Chiefs in 2009. Because the pass rush with and without Allen was night and day. Allen was a difference maker. And I think it's ridiculous to blame a guy for not getting late sacks when he was constantly double and triple teamed, and was constantly pushing QBs into Tamba Hali. Allen got sacks we didn't get in 2009, and he made Hali a much better player.

Fourth, why not? Jared Allen had a good 5 years left in his body. He was a young, second contract player. And he played a very high-impact position. I would argue that outside of QB, it is the most difficult position to shore up. He would have been worth every dollar and he brought a team with a ridiculously bad QB situation into the playoffs. I'd have no problem paying that kind of coin, especially given that the Chiefs sat on over $20M in cap space last year that did NOT roll over into this season. What I have a problem with is overpaying for a RB with similar behavioral problems who everybody in the locker room despised and who many questioned if he had more than 2-3 years left in his body. Funny how Peterson labeled Allen at risk and yet was pretty forgiving of LJ's long list of problem behavior.

First, it was CLEARLY INSULTING for JA to demand contract restructure when he hadn't really proved over a reasonable period of time (say, a year) that he could stay off the bottle and show mature behavior. Completing your penance to society by serving your sentence doesn't mean you're totally cured of your ways. I don't believe the Chiefs would have been on the hook to pay JA IF he did get an 8-game suspension, but I guarantee you that the majority of our fans would have eagerly ripped into CP (and MUCH LESS SO into JA) for signing someone who hadn't shown much concern regarding the adverse effects of his immature actions on the team.

I'm certain you meant 2008 instead of 2009, and I agree with your comments to an extent. I blame the defensive disaster on Herm Edwards and his "don't-give-up-the-big-play" philosophy, where on pass plays 3-4 linemen would rush and all of our linebackers would automatically sprint back 15-20 yards to help out the secondary which would create a large space in the middle for the QB to throw quick passes to the WRs on slant/crossing routes, TEs, and RBs or run a draw play or scramble through a gap or around the end before our linemen could get anywhere close to him. So, let's agree that our Chiefs, even with JA, still would have had a record well below .500 for 2008.

Third, what message are you sending to every player on the team when you give the bad boy(s) extra incentives for behaving properly? Hell, who WOULDN'T be opposed to making more jack for doing what every player in the league is supposed to be doing. If I was any other player on the team I'd shoot a beer and drive straight into a manned police car to get my future good (i.e., normal) behavior rewarded.

Fourth, I would have expected CP to renegotiate JA's contract only at the start of the following off-season AFTER he had ample time to see if JA's exposure to his alcohol rehab/treatment program had a positive effect and determine if his off-field behavior is more in line with what the team/league expects it to be. And, finally, I'm in total agreement with your comments about LJ.

chiefzilla1501
04-24-2009, 10:58 AM
First, it was CLEARLY INSULTING for JA to demand contract restructure when he hadn't really proved over a reasonable period of time (say, a year) that he could stay off the bottle and show mature behavior. Completing your penance to society by serving your sentence doesn't mean you're totally cured of your ways. I don't believe the Chiefs would have been on the hook to pay JA IF he did get an 8-game suspension, but I guarantee you that the majority of our fans would have eagerly ripped into CP (and MUCH LESS SO into JA) for signing someone who hadn't shown much concern regarding the adverse effects of his immature actions on the team.

I'm certain you meant 2008 instead of 2009, and I agree with your comments to an extent. I blame the defensive disaster on Herm Edwards and his "don't-give-up-the-big-play" philosophy, where on pass plays 3-4 linemen would rush and all of our linebackers would automatically sprint back 15-20 yards to help out the secondary which would create a large space in the middle for the QB to throw quick passes to the WRs on slant/crossing routes, TEs, and RBs or run a draw play or scramble through a gap or around the end before our linemen could get anywhere close to him. So, let's agree that our Chiefs, even with JA, still would have had a record well below .500 for 2008.

Third, what message are you sending to every player on the team when you give the bad boy(s) extra incentives for behaving properly? Hell, who WOULDN'T be opposed to making more jack for doing what every player in the league is supposed to be doing. If I was any other player on the team I'd shoot a beer and drive straight into a manned police car to get my future good (i.e., normal) behavior rewarded.

Fourth, I would have expected CP to renegotiate JA's contract only at the start of the following off-season AFTER he had ample time to see if JA's exposure to his alcohol rehab/treatment program had a positive effect and determine if his off-field behavior is more in line with what the team/league expects it to be. And, finally, I'm in total agreement with your comments about LJ.

I think you are undermining how important Jared Allen was to this defense. Keep in mind that in 2007, it was defense that led an atrocious Chiefs' team to a 4-4 record to begin the season. Allen was a difference maker. The team went from having a fairly competitive defense to one of the worst pass rushing defenses in the league. And it wasn't just about scheme. It was the fact that Hali wasn't nearly as good when Allen wasn't flushing QBs toward him and the fact that Allen somehow managed to have big seasons with worthless turds of crap lining next to him at DT. Allen was successful in KC despite having no help around him whatsoever. It's a shame that the Chiefs got Dorsey after he left.

As for the other stuff... I don't completely disagree. But the fact is, the Vikings gave Allen a deal that had "behavior incentives." No, it didn't have specific behavioral clauses, but it made it clear that the Vikings could easily cut the chord on Allen at any time and his contract could be revoked without major cap consequence. That's a pretty strong incentive for Allen to behave. I know Allen made some mistakes, but the fact is that the negotiations were killed because Peterson refused to pick up the phone, was reportedly shuffling out insultingly low offers, and was using greasy tactics to play up Allen's off-the-field problems to gain leverage. Keep in mind that it was reported after Peterson was fired that he had gained a wide reputation around the league for being a GM agents hated working with because of this sort of stuff. So realize that Allen was one of many players CP pissed off over the years, which makes Allen's claims of mistreatment more credible.