PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why Tyson Jackson was the RIGHT pick...

petegz28
04-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I know he didn't have the flare and media hoopla Curry and others had. But the fact of the matter is the game is played in the trenches. We were THE WORST run and pass defense last year. That means guys were getting knocked off of the ball. Was it a reach? Yes. Could we have addressed this position elsewhere? Not without trading down and obviously that did not happen.

I know a lot of people wanted someone else but don't be down. We need to build on the D line big time. Whether we go 3-4 or 4-3 we need good, big, players to be there. Again, the game is won on the lines of both sides of the ball. This kid looks real good and will fill a huge hole on this team. Sorry we couldn't get him at 15 or 16 but that is how it goes.

Don't be bummed my fellow Planet members. I think this will show itself to be a good choice.

Scorp
04-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Absolutely........ I have faith Pioli knows what he is doing.

xbarretx
04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
i agree, i think its a initially solid pick that will pay serious dividends!

rep to you both

Fritz88
04-25-2009, 02:38 PM
If NE is drooling over TJ then there's something about him.

We addressed a need. We had 10 sacks last year. Pioli is doing it.

Dottefan
04-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Finaly a some sense is being made....we have already upgraded our lb core(just for the next sesone), and if we trade dorsey, one of the 3 LB from USC might still be there..this makes the best sense for us , if we plan on trading Glenn Dorsey

Huffman83
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm hoping it gives us a stronger d line in 2 ways. The pass rush, and then making Dorsey worth last years top 10 pick.

petegz28
04-25-2009, 02:41 PM
The kid fits the Piloi Profile....Big, Strong, Smart(?), Loves to play the game.....

Plus he fits an immediate need on the line. If you look at it now, we have 2 1st-round picks on our D-line now instead of a rotation of a bunch of other team's cuts. Dorsey will come around with better coaching and w ehave some bulk on the line now. I am pretty excitied about this kid the more I think about it. If he can keep the linemen off of our LB's we will see a much, much improved defense.

DenverChief
04-25-2009, 02:42 PM
I know this post will get skipped over but I said it a thousand time this off season we would pick a defensive player with the #3 overall:)

StcChief
04-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Trade Dorsey and see what happens. At least the mr over-rated USC Sanchez isn't here and /or a deal couldn't be made for him.

googlegoogle
04-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Absolutely........ I have faith Pioli knows what he is doing.

yes, i agree.

petegz28
Trade Dorsey and see what happens. At least the mr over-rated USC Sanchez isn't here and /or a deal couldn't be made for him.

Don't see that happening. In fact I would keep Dorsey. He was not used properly last year and the kid will be fine. I would rather see him at DE than NT in a 3-4, but nonetheless.

googlegoogle
Cleveland wanted him too.

Sure-Oz
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I really hope this guy proves me wrong x a million

Fish
04-25-2009, 02:46 PM
The kid fits the Piloi Profile....Big, Strong, Smart(?), Loves to play the game.....

Loves to play the game?

I've read on multiple draft boards that his desire is very questionable. Some have even said they question whether football is important to him.....

Pioli Zombie
04-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah what does Pioli know about defensive linemen

Seymour
Warren
Wilfork
Green
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
04-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Looka t it this way Oz, there is no point in drafting a Curry if your D-line isn't going to keep 325lb linemen off of him. Plus, Curry isn't really a pass rusher anyway....so all in all....we addressed the bigger need.

If we are going to go to a 3-4 we need big bodies to stuff the line so the LB's can roam. I think we might finally start to see DJ at his true potential.

petegz28
04-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Loves to play the game?

I've read on multiple draft boards that his desire is very questionable. Some have even said they question whether football is important to him.....

K well...throw a (?) on that...but I don't think they would have drafted him if that was his attitude. Just saying :shrug:

Huffman83
04-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't see that happening. In fact I would keep Dorsey. He was not used properly last year and the kid will be fine. I would rather see him at DE than NT in a 3-4, but nonetheless.

3-4 or 4-3 shouldn't matter. Jackson would have been a factor in what made some of us excited about Dorsey last year.

cabletech94
04-25-2009, 02:49 PM

I think everyone else too. *crosses fingers AND eyes*

Sully
04-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Some "IFs" to consider...

IF Jackson was the top guy at a position of need for Pioli
IF there was no trade down available
IF no other player "ranked" above him is a player you want on the team.....

...then what other option do you have?

blazzin311
04-25-2009, 02:52 PM
In hindsight am I bit disappointed that we weren't able to trade down a few spots and still select Tyson Jackson. But in no way whatsoever am I disappointed with actually getting TJ. Just where we got him at is all. Wish it could have been further down but oh well. I trust Pioli.

petegz28
04-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Just seems Jackso, Boone and Dorsey are 3 big bodies to run out there. And since we are going away from the Cover-2...the pass rush responsiblity will not be on the front 4

kcpasco
04-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Some "IFs" to consider...

IF Jackson was the top guy at a position of need for Pioli
IF there was no trade down available
IF no other player "ranked" above him is a player you want on the team.....

...then what other option do you have?

Didn't you know

Rational thinking isn't allowed here

Pioli Zombie
04-25-2009, 02:57 PM
This is the EXACT reaction some people had to Ty Warren.

The Belichick model back to Parcells is to build your lines. And they've been successful. Pioli knows what he's doing. This guy will be solid on the Seymour/Warren level.
Posted via Mobile Device

xbarretx
04-25-2009, 03:05 PM

The Belichick model back to Parcells is to build your lines. And they've been successful. Pioli knows what he's doing. This guy will be solid on the Seymour/Warren level.
Posted via Mobile Device

and it will help Dorsey and allow the haters to get off his case. now just gotta see if we get back into the second.....

chop
04-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Plus he fits an immediate need on the line. If you look at it now, we have 2 1st-round picks on our D-line now instead of a rotation of a bunch of other team's cuts.

Sorry but that are three 1st round picks on the d-line. Remember Tamba Hali.

Plus we have a 2nd (McBride) and a 3rd (Tank).

milkman
04-25-2009, 03:11 PM
I am not excited about the pick, but neither am I pissed.

At least Pioli didn't take a LT.

Huffman83
04-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Sorry but that is three 1st round picks on the d-line. Remember Tamba Hali.

Current OLB?:eek:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-25-2009, 03:12 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

#3 Overall, you stupid motherfucker.

You don't draft a guy at 3 to be solid. You draft him to change games.

petegz28
04-25-2009, 03:13 PM
#3 Overall, you stupid mother****er.

Go change your pad....

Huffman83
04-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Yeah...cause that worked last year.

petegz28
04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Sorry but that are three 1st round picks on the d-line. Remember Tamba Hali.

Plus we have a 2nd (McBride) and a 3rd (Tank).

Ah...ty, I almost forgot about Tamba

PastorMikH
04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
There's no question after seeing this DL with Allen, then without him how much we needed a DE.

With 3 first round picks, we SHOULD have the best DL in the NFL. (I doubt it, but we SHOULD).

petegz28
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
There's no question after seeing this DL with Allen, then without him how much we needed a DE.

With 3 first round picks, we SHOULD have the best DL in the NFL. (I doubt it, but we SHOULD).

Comes down to how the coaches utilize the talent. Herm wanted to play that Cover-2 crap and that wasn't happening. We need BIG bodies on the line now if we are going to go to a 3-4ish defense.

htismaqe
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I am not excited about the pick, but neither am I pissed.

At least Pioli didn't take a LT.

Bingo.

Exactly how I feel.

Not excited, but at the same time, not PISSED OFF.

Pioli Zombie
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
#3 Overall, you stupid motherfucker.

Hey, asshole, who at #3 this year is going to "change the game"?

And don't tell me your boyfriend Sanchez.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Bingo.

Exactly how I feel.

Not excited, but at the same time, not PISSED OFF.

I would have rather had him at 15. But Piloi was not getting shit for offers. So you play the cards you have. You want Jackson, you have to take Jackson when you can get Jackson.

petegz28
04-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey, asshole, who at #3 this year is going to "change the game"?

And don't tell me your boyfriend Sanchez.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sanchez will prove to be a bad pick for where he was slotted.

FloridaMan88
04-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm giving the pick a C-, which is more based on the year long benefit of the doubt Pioli/Haley are receiving from me that is preventing me from giving the pick a D or an F.

Bottom line is the Chiefs reached at #3 to fill a need (a defender to rush the passer who fits in a 3-4 defense) on a player who by all accounts could have still been available if the Chiefs would have traded down lower in the first round.

Captain Obvious
04-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Reason why it wasn't? His position coach.

googlegoogle
04-25-2009, 03:22 PM

STFU

You know what about football? ROFL

petegz28
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm giving the pick a C-, which is more based on the year long benefit of the doubt Pioli/Haley are receiving from me that is preventing me from giving the pick a D or an F.

Bottom line is the Chiefs reached at #3 to fill a need (a defender to rush the passer who fits in a 3-4 defense) on a player who by all accounts could have still been available if the Chiefs would have traded down lower in the first round.

Hello...McFly....we couldn't trade down. We tried. It wasn't happening. This has already been addressed. I give you a C- for not paying attention. :D

googlegoogle
04-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Go change your pad....

:clap:

KCChiefsMan
04-25-2009, 03:26 PM
The LSUification of the Chiefs continues

FloridaMan88
04-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Hello...McFly....we couldn't trade down. We tried. It wasn't happening. This has already been addressed. I give you a C- for not paying attention. :D

Then don't reach for a player who shouldn't be drafted at #3 overall. Go for best player on the board. Its not like the Chiefs don't need help at several other positions.

ChiefGator
04-25-2009, 03:28 PM
A surprising pick to me (although every mock suddenly shifted his way in the last couple days) but I'm happy with him. You don't always get who you want, and you don't get to dictate at what pick you get to choose. We clearly need more bodies on the D-Lineman. If just a couple of the DLine picks over the last 3-4 years show they have talent, we could have a good, young, stout d-line, which should do wonders for our defense in general.

Not a glamour move... but could prove to be very good.

And, I think I may be alone, but if we can't just trade the 2nd next year straight-up for 2nd this year... I think I'ld rather stockpile the pick and just pick twice in the second next year. While it would detract from today's fun... I kinda hope we just sit tight the rest of the day. Seems smarter from a long-term standdpoint, unless someone just starts dropping that they are really high on. (Like a good O-Line prospect).

petegz28
04-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Then don't reach for a player who shouldn't be drafted at #3 overall. Go for best player on the board. Its not like the Chiefs don't need help at several other positions.

Dude that sounds good and all...but that is not how it works. As I stated before....Curry does you no good with a 325lb lineman all over him.

htismaqe
04-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Trade down with who? The Cleveland Browns got RAPED.

For 6 days straight.

And twice on Sunday.

No fuggin way should we have traded down for that kind of "value".

ChiefGator
04-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Dude that sounds good and all...but that is not how it works. As I stated before....Curry does you no good with a 325lb lineman all over him.

Exactly. It seems like alot of people think Pioli said, "Ah hell, there's much better players out there, but I just feel like taking a huge reach and grabbing someone much earlier than necessary. Let's roll a die and see who we reach for."

I'll tell you this, almost 100% of GM's and coaches who are accussed of reaching, don't think they are. They just have a slightly different board than the Mayock's, Kipers, or even other NFL teams.

unothadeal
04-25-2009, 03:38 PM
The LSUification of the Chiefs continues

Repost

KcFanInGA
04-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Cant believe people are bitching so much on the planet (other threads) when we have Pioli and Haley remaking most of our pathetic D in one offseason

wild1
04-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Trade down with who? The Cleveland Browns got RAPED.

For 6 days straight.

And twice on Sunday.

No fuggin way should we have traded down for that kind of "value".

exactly. it's obvious no one wanted to move up in this draft.

they didn't take a poor value trade like Cleveland did. they took their guy. it's the right thing to do.

MMXcalibur
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
This is why I hate Draft Day. Way too many kneejerk reactions. Pioli has the pedigree, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Jackson might just be a world-beater or he might be just like every other defensive lineman we've drafted since Derrick Thomas...who knows....

No kneejerk reaction here. If Pioli thinks he fits and is worthy of the #3 overall pick, then by god....let's give it a shot.

RNR
04-25-2009, 05:03 PM
This is why I hate Draft Day. Way too many kneejerk reactions. Pioli has the pedigree, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Jackson might just be a world-beater or he might be just like every other defensive lineman we've drafted since Derrick Thomas...who knows....

No kneejerk reaction here. If Pioli thinks he fits and is worthy of the #3 overall pick, then by god....let's give it a shot.

:spock:

MMXcalibur
04-25-2009, 05:11 PM
:spock:

Er...I meant to put Jared Allen....dur..

RNR
04-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Er...I meant to put Jared Allen....dur..

:) ok you did have me wondering

Danman
04-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Awesome!!! We didn't waste the #3 ON an Offenwive Lineman !!!

ILChief
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM

maybe he was the best player on their board :hmmm:

htismaqe
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Awesome!!! We didn't waste the #3 ON an Offenwive Lineman !!!

Exactly.