PDA

View Full Version : Life RIP Bea Arthur

RealSNR
04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I think we all need to thank her for being a friend

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/04/beatrice-arthur.html

Beatrice Arthur, 'Golden Girls' star, dies at 86
Apr 25, 2009, 04:29 PM | by Steve Korn

Beatrice Arthur, an icon of '70s TV as the star of Maude, and then one of the staples of '80s TV as one of the leads in The Golden Girls, has died at age 86, according to an Associated Press report. A family spokesman told AP the Emmy and Tony Award winner had cancer, and died peacefully at her home in Los Angeles.

Arthur's best-known roles came in popular sitcoms that didn't shy away from the serious issues of the day. On Maude, which aired from 1972-1978, Arthur's pantsuit-wearing, feminist title character had an abortion, which resulted in a flurry of viewer protests. Arthur scored five Emmy nominations and one win for the role. The ribald, hilarious Golden Girls -- which over seven seasons tackled hot-button issues such as menopause, homophobia, suicide, and racism -- found Arthur playing gruff, wisecrack-spewing divorcée Dorothy Zbornak, who shared a Miami home with her mother and two loopy friends. Arthur picked up four more Emmy nods and one win as Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for the role.

In a 2005 interview with EW, Arthur recalled she "flipped" when she first read the script for The Golden Girls' pilot episode. "After all of the crap I'd been sent, here was something so bright and adult and fabulously funny," she said.

Arthur's long-time friend Billy Goldenberg, who co-created 2002's Bea Arthur on Broadway, tells EW.com that the actress was "never afraid to say anything that she believed in. The rest of us always took a moment before we said anything, maybe edited it. But she never did. And that was rather odd, because she was a very shy, private person." Goldenberg says that while Arthur would often wonder why she inspired such widespread and passionate fandom, he surmised it was the way the actress championed underdogs, "people who felt like second-class citizens," in both her on-screen and off-screen life.

After exiting Golden Girls in 1992, Arthur worked sparingly. Since 2000, she made guest-starring appearances on Curb Your Enthusiasm and Futurama. She scored yet another Emmy nomination as Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for a role as a loopy babysitter on Malcolm in the Middle.
Earlier in her career, Arthur tasted success on Broadway and on the big screen, even winning a Tony Award for her roles as Vera Charles, formidable pal of Angela Lansbury's title character in Mame. She would go on to play the same role in the musical's big-screen adaptation, though in that instance opposite Lucille Ball.

EW.com will be catching up with more of Arthur's friends and colleagues as the weekend goes on. Please keep checking back for further updates:
Betty White, who so memorably played Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls opposite Arthur, gave this statement to Entertainment Tonight: "I knew it would hurt, I just didn't know it would hurt this much. I'm so happy that she received her Lifetime Achievement Award while she was still with us, so she could appreciate that. She was such a big part of my life."
Angela Lansbury, who co-starred with Arthur in Mame on Broadway, released this statement (via ET Online): "Bea Arthur and I first met when we did 'Mame' together in 1965. She became and has remained 'My Bosom Buddy' ever since. I am deeply saddened by her passing, but also relieved that she is released from the pain. I spoke to Matt, her son, yesterday and I was aware that her time was imminent. She was a rare and unique performer and a dear, dear friend."

Mitchell Hurwitz, creator of Arrested Development, who worked with Arthur when he was a writer-producer for The Golden Girls, tells EW exclusively: "I really loved her -- and gained so much from working with her. She was deeply supportive of me at the start of my career. Her warmth wasn't superficial -- it was genuine and bespoke true compassion. And it was this same inner sweetness that made her comedy so real and touching, and made her such an inspiration."

-- Michael Slezak, with additional reporting by Dan Snierson and Adam B. Vary

Pitt Gorilla
04-25-2009, 09:31 PM
That really sucks. RIP.

RealSNR
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
LMAO at the tag

Boon
04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
This place has the greatest tags evah!
When did they return?

wild1
04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
86 years. man. that's a long life.

she seemed like a good lady.

wild1
04-25-2009, 09:59 PM
This place has the greatest tags evah!
When did they return?

i don't know, but they need to stay!

Boon
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
i don't know, but they need to stay!

This.

We have the same number of posts!!

wild1
04-25-2009, 10:07 PM
This.

We have the same number of posts!!

Now I'm ahead. heh heh.

Looks like you haven't been as bored over the last month as I have :D

Pioli Zombie
04-25-2009, 10:13 PM
She was the Golden Girl I wanted to bang.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
04-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear that she is now the newest star of "Moldin' Girls".

Spott
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear that she is now the newest star of "Moldin' Girls".

LMAO

Crush
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
She was the Golden Girl I wanted to bang.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dorothy and Blanche is where it is at. Epic Golden Girl 3-Way FTW. Sophia can watch as long as she videotapes it.

Pioli Zombie
04-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Dorothy and Blanche is where it is at. Epic Golden Girl 3-Way FTW. Sophia can watch as long as she videotapes it.

Dorothy had that tall thing going on.

86. And Dead.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Maybe Claythan would have a chance with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Crush
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Maybe Claythan would have a chance with her.
Posted via Mobile Device

With the family's consent, that could be the ultimate pity fuck.

RealSNR
04-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Dorothy and Blanche is where it is at. Epic Golden Girl 3-Way FTW. Sophia can watch as long as she videotapes it.Sophia's got the experience, though. She'd know how to really make you happy

Crush
04-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Sophia's got the experience, though. She'd know how to really make you happy

Yeah, but she'll leave you hanging. She is that kind of bitch.

kysirsoze
04-26-2009, 04:32 AM
Does anybody have any good Bea pics?? I have a raging eXtenZe driven hard one that needs an outlet.

All Due Respect. R.I.P.

Pioli Zombie
04-26-2009, 06:58 AM
With Bea Arthur gone what other elderly ladies can I get aroused by?

Rosaynn Carter? Mmmmm. Naaaah
Mary Tyler Moore? Nope
Olympia Dukakis? Yeeeeech no

I'm at a loss.
Posted via Mobile Device

nathanKent
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
With Bea Arthur gone what other elderly ladies can I get aroused by?

Rosaynn Carter? Mmmmm. Naaaah
Mary Tyler Moore? Nope
Olympia Dukakis? Yeeeeech no

I'm at a loss.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Ruth. She's ugly as shit, but I guarantee you that stoaty little German knows how to handle her business.

Lumpy
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Does anybody have any good Bea pics?? I have a raging eXtenZe driven hard one that needs an outlet.

All Due Respect. R.I.P.

"Good" pics... no, but here, this should suffice.

okcchief
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I can't remember whose roast it was but she was in the gallery. Pam Anderson maybe? Jeffrey Ross said "I wouldn't fuck you with Bea Arthur's dick" to someone there. She shot laser beams out her eyes at him. HAHA. Classic shit.

RIP Bea

88TG88
04-26-2009, 10:53 PM
This thread isn't the same without tags. They were hilarious.

beavis
04-26-2009, 11:10 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzXKySxPFCI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzXKySxPFCI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kysirsoze
04-27-2009, 12:18 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzXKySxPFCI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzXKySxPFCI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gotta love the Star Wars Christmas Special

TOBOR is Robot spelled backwards!!

gblowfish
04-27-2009, 09:43 AM
You guys are some sick, sick bastards.

I'm sure there's lots of old dudes rubbing one out at the nursing home this week for Bea.

StcChief
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Spinning off "All in the Family" Maude was a decent show. Bea Auther made it.