PDA

View Full Version : News Swine flu cases in NY, Kansas

RJ
04-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Since CP is the only source of news for many of its members......

http://news.aol.com/article/school-flu-test/445903Swine Flu Confirmed in NY Students

By VERENA DOBNIK
AP
posted: 3 MINUTES AGO
comments: 903
filed under: Health News, National News, World News

NEW YORK (April 26) — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed that students at a city high school were infected with swine flu.
New York officials previously had said they were eight "probable" cases, but tests later confirmed that it was indeed swine flu. Bloomberg stressed that the cases were mild and many are recovering.
Skip over this content
Swine Flu Outbreak
AP
191 photos

Previous

Next
Hiram Diaz, 8, left, gives his 6-year-old sister Adely Diaz a ride on the pegs of his bicycle while wearing protective masks near the market where their parents own a store in Mexico City, Saturday.
(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)
Skip over this content

The city is awaiting the tests of additional samples to see if more St. Francis Preparatory School students were infected.
About 100 students complained of flu-like symptoms at the school. Some students went to Cancun on a spring break trip two weeks ago.
So far, there have been at least 11 confirmed cases of swine flu in California, Texas and Kansas. Patients have ranged in age from 9 to over 50. At least two were hospitalized. All recovered or are recovering.
Some St. Francis students had recently traveled to Mexico, The New York Times and New York Post reported Sunday.
Skip over this content
Embedded video from CNN Video
Workers were sanitizing the school as a precaution. But a class reunion featuring cocktails, dinner and dancing for hundreds of alumni from as far back as 1939 went on as scheduled Saturday.
Symptoms in the New York cases have been mild, said New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden. But the illnesses have caused concern because of the outbreak in Mexico, where health officials say a strain of swine flu has killed up to 81 people and sickened more than 1,000.
The World Health Organization chief said Saturday that the strain has "pandemic potential," and it might be too late to contain a sudden outbreak.
State infectious-diseases, epidemiology and disaster preparedness workers have been dispatched to monitor and respond to possible cases of the flu. Gov. David Paterson said 1,500 treatment courses of the antiviral Tamiflu had been sent to New York City.
The city health department has asked doctors to be extra vigilant and test patients who have flu symptoms and have traveled recently to California, Texas or Mexico.
Investigators also were testing children who fell ill at a day care center in the Bronx. Two families in Manhattan also have contacted the city, saying they had recently returned ill from Mexico with flu symptoms, Frieden said.
Skip over this content
Flu Pandemics
Dario Lopez-Mills, AP
7 photos

Previous

Next
Some influenza experts expressed concern Saturday that a new, deadly hybrid strain of swine flu may spark a pandemic. The virus has killed at least 81 people in Mexico and sickened 11 in the U.S. Here, people wear surgical masks Friday as they stand in line to enter a hospital in Mexico City. Click through for past flu pandemics and pandemic fears.
Frieden said New Yorkers having trouble breathing due to an undiagnosed respiratory illness should seek treatment but shouldn't become overly alarmed. Medical facilities near St. Francis Prep have already been flooded with people overreacting to the outbreak, he said.
Kansas health officials said Saturday that they had confirmed swine flu in a married couple living in the central part of the state after the husband visited Mexico. The couple, who live in Dickinson County, weren't hospitalized, and the state described their illnesses as mild.
"Fortunately, the man and woman understand the gravity of the situation and are very willing to isolate themselves," said Dr. Jason Eberhart-Phillips, the state health officer.
Swine flu is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A flu viruses, the CDC's Web site says. Human cases are uncommon but can occur in people who are around pigs. It also can be spread from person to person. Symptoms include a high fever, body aches, coughing, sore throat and respiratory congestion.
At least nine swine flu cases have been reported in California and Texas. The most recent California case, the state's seventh, was a 35-year-old woman from Imperial County who got sick in early April. She had no known contact with the others.
Health officials are concerned because people appear to have no immunity to the virus, a combination of bird, swine and human influenzas. The virus also presents itself like other swine flus, but none of the U.S. cases appear to involve direct contact with pigs, Eberhart-Phillips said.
Associated Press writer John Hanna contributed to this report from Topeka, Kan.

RJ
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
As if not having a 2nd rounder wasn't enough.

teedubya
04-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I blame Hog Farmer

chiefqueen
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Folks, I attended the Royals home opener and then literally spent most of that weekend on the stool w/diarrehia.

At the ballgame I did have burnt ends (some of which were pork).

Just fyi.

teedubya
04-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Im not gonna eat pork anymore... not because I'm scared of swine flu... I just don't want to help Hog Farmer's industry. heh.

Crush
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I think this is how The Stand started.

jidar
04-26-2009, 10:47 AM
12 monkeys is an awesome movie

RINGLEADER
04-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Captain Trips.

It's all over the world now. No way to stop it.

RJ
04-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Captain Trips.

It's all over the world now. No way to stop it.

Well, that's depressing.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Im not gonna eat pork anymore... not because I'm scared of swine flu... I just don't want to help Hog Farmer's industry. heh.

I hope you get the worst case ever recorded and shit yourself daily !

RINGLEADER
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, that's depressing.

Mexico, Canada, US, Spain, New Zealand, possible cases in UK, France, Israel. According to the CDC it is impossible to contain now but I guess Homeland Security just released some of the Tamiflu reserves to innoculate health care workers.

No one can figure out why the mortality rate is 7% in Mexico but so far doesn't seem to be as deadly in the rest of the world. I suspect we'll know in a day or two how well it kills but at this point it seems pretty strong. By way of reference the 1918 pandemic that killed 40 million + had a kill rate of about 2.5% according to the talking head that was on television this morning.

cabletech94
04-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Turkey bacon>regular bacon!!!!

Put down the glove hog farmer!

wild1
04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
close the damn border already

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM
FYI . You cannot be infected by eating pork. Cooking will kill any virus and of course you should ALWAYS wash your hands after handling ANY raw meat. This virus will be spread through human contact.

Except for Aridouche who I strongly reccomend eating all the raw meat availabe.

googlegoogle
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Buy alcohol hand cleaner and handkerchief. Don't sneeze and cough without covering mouth and nose.

04-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Wash your hands till they bleed.

Wa-Z
04-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Stop breathing.

Talisman
04-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Interesting article, but did anyone else
Skip over this content
6 photos
have a hard time reading it?
Previous

BWillie
04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
So where in Kansas did they find it?

RJ
04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Interesting article, but did anyone else
Skip over this content
6 photos
have a hard time reading it?
Previous

I'll work on that.

Admittedly not an internet savvy guy.

RNR labeled me a draft expert, though, so I got that going for me.

RJ
04-26-2009, 08:02 PM
So where in Kansas did they find it?

"Central part of the state", "Dickinson County".

A couple just returned from a Mexican vacation.

Yeah, who's having fun now?

Dylan
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Dandy...I can see it now: New York City, The Modern Day Poveglia in Venice

We're hearing, it may have been the bucolic plague that apparently ... blah blah blah ... The New York City mayor, Michael Bloomberg has a news conference...blah blah blah...

BREAKING NEWS!!! The head of New York State National Guard prepares its largest ever troop deployment ... blah blah blah ... had moved into those regions within the five boroughs of New York City .... blah blah blah ... orders are shoot to kill ... blah blah blah ... over nine million people perished .... j/k

===============================================================

This News is real!!!

U.S. declares state of emergency as 20 cases confirmed; 86 dead in Mexico

Global race is on to contain swine flu outbreak
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The world’s governments raced to avoid both a pandemic and global hysteria Sunday as more possible swine flu cases surfaced from Canada to New Zealand and the United States declared a public health emergency. “It’s not a time to panic,” the White House said.

Mexico, the outbreak’s epicenter with up to 103 suspected deaths, canceled some church services and closed markets and restaurants. Few people ventured onto the streets, and some wore face masks. Canada became the third country to confirm cases, in six people, including some students who — like some New York City spring-breakers — got mildly ill in Mexico. Countries across Asia promised to quarantine feverish travelers returning from flu-affected areas.

The U.S. declared the health emergency so it could ship roughly 12 million doses of flu-fighting medications from a federal stockpile to states in case they eventually need them — although, with 20 confirmed cases in five states recovering easily, they don’t appear to for now
Eight high school students from St. Francis Preparatory School in New York are among those who fell ill in five states, including New York, Ohio, California, Texas and Kansas. Patients have ranged in age from 7 to 54.

Officials said several schools, including St. Francis, would be closed for days. In California, St. Mel's Catholic School will be closed until at least Thursday while health officials determine if a seventh grader has a flu linked to the outbreak. Near San Antonio, a high school in Cibolo will remain closed for at least the next week after two students caught the virus.

Government health officials expect to see more cases of swine flu here, including possibly serious infections, a senior official with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

“We expect there to be a broader spectrum of disease here in the U.S.,” said Dr. Anne Schuchat, interim deputy director for the agency’s Science and Public Health Program. “I do fear that we will have deaths here.”

But make no mistake: There is not a global pandemic — at least not yet. It’s not clear how many people truly have this particular strain, or why all countries but Mexico are seeing mild disease. Nor is it clear if the new virus spreads easily, one milestone that distinguishes a bad flu from a global crisis. But waiting to take protective steps until after a pandemic is declared would be too late.

“We do think this will continue to spread but we are taking aggressive actions to minimize the impact on people’s health,” said Dr. Richard Besser, acting chief of the CDC.

President Barack Obama’s administration sought to look both calm and in command, striking a balance between informing Americans without panicking them. Obama himself was playing golf while U.S. officials used a White House news conference to compare the emergency declaration with preparing for an approaching hurricane.

“Really, that’s what we’re doing right now. We’re preparing in an environment where we really don’t know ultimately what the size or seriousness of this outbreak is going to be,” Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told reporters.

Continues: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/?GT1=43001

what should i do stock up on food?

CrazyPhuD
04-26-2009, 11:02 PM
And the muslims and the jews say pigs are unclean animals....sheesh

Dylan
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
The U.S. declared the health emergency so it could ship roughly 12 million doses of flu-fighting medications from a federal stockpile to states in case they eventually need them —

12 million doses? that'll take care of New York.

what's the rest of the country going to use?

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Perhaps Kansans should stop "loving on" pigs.

Fish
04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
That'll teach em to hump hogs.....

kysirsoze
04-27-2009, 02:14 PM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/319/mexico.jpg

Fat Elvis
04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/319/mexico.jpg

Well, with the drug wars in Mexico, the Horrible Death Option is now available in Normal Trip to Mexico column.....