PDA

View Full Version : Electronics HD Camcorder advice needed

The Bad Guy
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm looking at this camcorder:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-UX10-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B00123WDSQ/ref=pd_ts_e_23?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

The only question I have is whether or not I can transfer this video to my Mac or PC to create edited DVDs?

It seems like a really good buy, but I have absolutely no knowledge of these things. I initially wanted one with a built in HD, but my concern is if the HD fails, then I might be screwed.

Any help is appreciated.

Valiant
04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes you can transfer the video.. We have a Sony HD camcorder.. awesome..

If any camcorder fails you will be screwed.. Hopefully you already have the rest of your HD network set up: tv, dvd player or just plug it in to your hd tv..

The Bad Guy
04-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes you can transfer the video.. We have a Sony HD camcorder.. awesome..

If any camcorder fails you will be screwed.. Hopefully you already have the rest of your HD network set up: tv, dvd player or just plug it in to your hd tv..

What camcorder do you have?

The thing I'm not sure about is the flash memory compared to the harddrive storage.

I do have everything else set up so I'll be golden.

jiveturkey
04-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Flash memory is nice because it's not going to fail. I currently own 2 Sony's and love both of them.

Your pick looks like a good one. Just make sure you use Memory Stick Pro. The cheap Memory Sticks don't have a fast enough transfer rate to handle HD.

Wrasse
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure if this will help but, in order to film my daughter growing up and the delivery/hospital visit, I just recently purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001144JQU

A newer model just came out I believe and I received this one when Amazon was selling it (for $599)...it's much more expensive now.

I really like the piece of mind with the solid state media (flash) and LOVE the camera. My friend (who coincidentally also had a daughter that same week) got the hard drive version. I'm a big Canon fan (Sony for TVs) and this also came with software to transfer the footage onto blu ray and other media. I purchased a blu ray burner from NewEgg for another 150 I think (it's been a while now but I can check).

I haven't transferred anything to a blu ray YET, but read that it's not too painful with a good PC/Mac. They cover that in the conversation (if I remember again correctly) thread associated with that item for purchase on Amazon.

Good luck!

The Bad Guy
04-27-2009, 04:57 PM
If the Canon dips to 599 again, I'll definitely get that one. I wanted to keep the purchase to around 600. I'm also buying it for the birth of my first baby.

Valiant
04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
What camcorder do you have?

The thing I'm not sure about is the flash memory compared to the harddrive storage.

I do have everything else set up so I'll be golden.

Have the previous version of this one, I like the harddrive..

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665736664

Valiant
04-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Flash memory is nice because it's not going to fail. I currently own 2 Sony's and love both of them.

Your pick looks like a good one. Just make sure you use Memory Stick Pro. The cheap Memory Sticks don't have a fast enough transfer rate to handle HD.

Memory can go bad, not going to say it always will happen but it does happen.. We have had 3 memory sticks go bad for my SLR, sold it and got a Canon because I hate the cost of MS, and I can use SD in other devices..

They do sell Sandisk MS sticks that work great and are half the cost usually of Sony branded ones.. You just have to look at the speed rates, because you are right not all sticks are fast enough to transfer the HD..

Wrasse
04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I made an error.

I purchased this blu ray burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129036

That's where I got the software to burn the media (makes sense but it slipped my mind).

Congrats on soon-to-be fatherhood!

It's amazing. Nothing in the world can prepare you for how awesome it is. Your wife will be your hero. Your child will be your new best friend. I'm sure you know all this already. :)

I wish you and yours all the best!

Pieces of unsolicited advice: listen to your own fatherly instincts and let those sometimes trump what the books and, on occasion, doctors say. You're going to hear about so many different ways to raise a child (attachment parenting, parent directed feeding / baby wise vs baby whisperer vs etc)...take it all in and then do what YOU feel is right for your child. You seem like a very confident guy so I'm sure this is your plan anyway. :) Also...breastfeeding can be torture so, if your wife chooses to do this, be very patient and understanding. Seems like the toughest part for us and many others (friends and family who had children around the same time) was getting the feeding down. We had issues with formula and breastfeeding.

Oh...and let your family help as much as they want to. :)

I hope that didn't sound too pretentious. I'm just in the thick of it all with a 6 week old.

Good luck!!!

The Bad Guy
04-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I made an error.

I purchased this blu ray burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129036

That's where I got the software to burn the media (makes sense but it slipped my mind).

Congrats on soon-to-be fatherhood!

It's amazing. Nothing in the world can prepare you for how awesome it is. Your wife will be your hero. Your child will be your new best friend. I'm sure you know all this already. :)

I wish you and yours all the best!

Pieces of unsolicited advice: listen to your own fatherly instincts and let those sometimes trump what the books and, on occasion, doctors say. You're going to hear about so many different ways to raise a child (attachment parenting, parent directed feeding / baby wise vs baby whisperer vs etc)...take it all in and then do what YOU feel is right for your child. You seem like a very confident guy so I'm sure this is your plan anyway. :) Also...breastfeeding can be torture so, if your wife chooses to do this, be very patient and understanding. Seems like the toughest part for us and many others (friends and family who had children around the same time) was getting the feeding down. We had issues with formula and breastfeeding.

Oh...and let your family help as much as they want to. :)

I hope that didn't sound too pretentious. I'm just in the thick of it all with a 6 week old.

Good luck!!!

You weren't pretentious at all. Thank you for all the advice.

That's part of the reason we are moving back to my hometown. We want our families heavily involved.

We are beyond excited.

I'm going to probably waiit to get a blu-ray burner because I bet we will just hook up the DVD player to the TV for a while since we only have one blu-ray burner.

Can I transfer the content to my computer and just burn it without a blu-ray burner? Can it go on standard DVDs?

Thanks again for your help.