PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli: "We've started, but there's a lot more ground to cover."

DaWolf
04-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds like we're going to hit some more free agents after the draft. We're not done...

<object width="249" height="290" id="delve_player896380o" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://assets.delvenetworks.com/player/loader.swf"/><param name="wmode" value="window"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="flashvars" value="ldr=ldr&amp;playerForm=00000000000000000000000000000004&amp;channelId=ceefbe638ea14522b70ad409bc53ea14"/><embed src="http://assets.delvenetworks.com/player/loader.swf" name="delve_player896380e" wmode="window" width="249" height="290" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="ldr=ldr&amp;playerForm=00000000000000000000000000000004&amp;channelId=ceefbe638ea14522b70ad409bc53ea14"></embed></object>

Q&A with Scott Pioli - Draft (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/04/26/qa_with_scott_pioli__draft/)
Apr 26, 2009, 6:02:22 PM

2009 NFL DRAFT SUMMARY

SCOTT PIOLI: “Just a quick recap to where we’re at right now. We’ve still got the final pick in the draft and there is a chance we may be in this round [again]. We may try to get back in this round even before the compensatory picks.

“As you see we spent most of the time on defense yesterday and today on offense. Todd and I feel like we’ve upgraded our football team on offense, defense and special teams.

“Big picture we feel very good that we’ve improved our football team in terms of depth and competition. Again, we’ve added three on each side of the ball [as of this time.] ”

Q: What about the kid from Missouri, where do you project him?

PIOLI: “He’s a tackle and we see him as a right tackle. We talk about left tackles, right tackles and some guys are swing tackles. We see him more as a right tackle. He started for two years and has a basketball background. Big, big body, not just tall. He’s a big man. Probably coming in and lining up at right tackle primarily.”

Q: [Quinten] Lawrence is a kick returner?

PIOLI: “And competing for playing time as a wide receiver. He’s a fast kid with really good tools, done some return work obviously. He has some track background, has some very good speed. He can run fast but he can also play fast. So, we’re looking at him to do a little bit of both. For a lot of young guys like this coming from a smaller school he’ll probably have to cut his teeth primarily as a return guy, but we worked him out as receiver as well.”

Q: Do you have any other obvious candidates on the roster for that position?

PIOLI: “At this moment there are some guys who have some background on kick return and punt return. Then we might add some more. There is still rookie free agency.”

Q: Was the defense your focus coming in?

PIOLI: “it wasn’t the plan to say we’re going to spend the first day on defense and the second day on offense. It’s how the draft kind of fell to us. Again, the combination of best player and need and it kind of fell that way. I think if you get yourself too focused on any one thing going into the draft you tend to ignore other things and other opportunities. ”

Q: Have you covered all the ground you had hoped to?

PIOLI: “There’s a lot of ground to cover, a lot of ground to cover. We’ve started but there’s a lot more ground to cover and we will. As this ends today we’re not done improving this football team. There is going to be a lot of things that happen with other teams and with other people. There are going to be a lot of other opportunities. There are some people out there who are going to be free agents. It gets to about two weeks before the draft and some of the veteran free agents want to stop and settle down and see what teams are going to draft and see where they think their opportunities are the best.

“We’ve covered a little bit of ground here but there’s a long way to go and we’re heading in that direction.”

Q: Can you talk about the running back [Javarris Williams] you took in the seventh round?

PIOLI: “He’s big, he’s strong, he’s fast and very tough and he’s put up well over 4,000 yards in four years at Tennessee State and in the OVC [conference] I’m a little familiar with. Some of these younger players, when they come in at skill positions, is one of the ways they make teams is by making it on special teams. He’s a guy we’ve spent some time with. Maurice Carthon spent some time with him down at Tennessee State and worked him out. We know him pretty well.”

Q: How were the overall trade conversations, how did they go? That was one of the big topics going into the draft.

PIOLI: “We talked about a lot of different trades with a lot of different people. We spent a lot of time on the phone. Again, different opportunities, but we didn’t feel good about them. At this point in wanting to trade we felt we would have to give up too much to get to certain spots. There were a couple of players that we talked about that we thought about potentially trading up for but it was getting close enough to our pick and fortunately they fell to us and we were able to save the picks.

“Again, I love to look for trades and consider trades but if they’re not right or the right opportunity isn’t there you don’t consummate the trade.”

Q: Were there any conversations about any players on your roster right now being traded for picks?

PIOLI: “No.”

Q: You said there was a lot of ground to cover. Are you generally satisfied that you were able to cover as much these last few days as you had hoped you would?

PIOLI: “I’m satisfied. With the opportunity we had I’m satisfied with the progress we made in the last couple of days. We’re not done yet. There is time today and we’re going to keep at it. At this point I’m pretty satisfied but we’ve got to continue to keep going. That’s the thing: anytime you think your football is set and your roster is set that’s when things start to creep up on you.”

Mr. Krab
04-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Should we stick around?

Micjones
04-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Free Agents I'd sign:
OLB, Marques Harris
OLB, Roderick Green
RT, Mark Tauscher
WR, Shaun McDonald
CB, Ken Lucas

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
LeRoy Hill of the Seahawks. Good young OLB that just got the franchise tag removed to make way for Aaron Curry. Not exactly sure how he'd fit in our scheme, but he's definitely worth a look.

soundmind
04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Mark Tauscher. Do it.

ct
04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Guess I thought he meant UDFA, not vet FAs.

Micjones
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM
LeRoy Hill of the Seahawks. Good young OLB that just got the franchise tag removed to make way for Aaron Curry. Not exactly sure how he'd fit in our scheme, but he's definitely worth a look.

Absolutely! Forgot about Hill.

soundmind
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM

I believe he meant all available players.

Fritz88
04-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Why is he doing all the talking?

I thought the HC would.

Pioli is enslaving Haley :)

BryanBusby
04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Mark Tauscher. Do it.

Depends. Word is Green Bay has been hesitating because he is still hurt. If he is still hurt, pass.

googlegoogle
04-26-2009, 05:15 PM
No mention of the WR.

Micjones
04-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Quan Cosby
Darry Beckwith
Dannell Ellerbe
Roger Allen
Chase Patton
Rashad Jennings

Any or all of the above.
Well... Hopefully the Chiefs draft one of them and bring whoever else may still be available once the draft is over.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Quan Cosby
Darry Beckwith
Dannell Ellerbe
Roger Allen
Chase Patton
Rashad Jennings

Any or all of the above.
Well... Hopefully the Chiefs draft one of them and bring whoever else may still be available once the draft is over.

Jennings is a Jag.

gta0012
04-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Seatll took off the tag of thier LB after taking Curry that might be a target.

Hoover
04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Why not sign Hill/ I'd be thrilled about a move like that.

NUMBER7
04-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Quan Cosby
Darry Beckwith
Dannell Ellerbe
Roger Allen
Chase Patton
Rashad Jennings

Any or all of the above.

Allen is gone...St. Louis Lambs.:cuss:

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Why not sign Hill/ I'd be thrilled about a move like that.

It would be nice, but the Seahawks franchised him for a reason. He's probably asking for a lot of money.

Ronnie Cruz
04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Hill would be an amazing pickup.

KC kid
04-26-2009, 05:58 PM
but herm said we were 85 percent done?

TRR
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
"There's a lot more ground to cover."

Pioli can say that again. I would have liked to see more than 1 or 2 starters come from this draft. That is about all we may be looking at with Jackson and possibly MaGee.

Just Passin' By
04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
but herm said we were 85 percent done?

Herm misspoke. He meant to say that he was 100 percent done.

King_Chief_Fan
04-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Pioli can say that again. I would have liked to see more than 1 or 2 starters come from this draft. That is about all we may be looking at with Jackson and possibly MaGee.

what else could we have expected with that horrible draft position?

gta0012
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
The move, confirmed by the team, makes Hill a free agent. The one-year, $8.3 million franchise offer no longer exists.

Hill, a third-round choice in 2005, had refused to sign the offer while attempting to negotiate a lucrative long-term deal. He skipped voluntary minicamp practices recently.

We have the cap room. And it seems he was looking for long term. So maybe just a long contract will peak his interest. Also it looks like he may have to settle since Seattle could give a fuck about him now.

58kcfan89
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Uh, Cassel and Vrabel?

tomahawk kid
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Based on what Pioli said in his presser on kcchiefs.com - he was talking about veteran FA.

-King-
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
If larry foote is released by the steelers(heard there's a good chance he will) we should really pick him up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ultra Peanut
04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
B-b-b-but he didn't focus solely on OL and LB in the latter rounds.

Pitt Gorilla
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Boldin?

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Boldin?

Won't make much of a difference with Niswanger and McIntosh still "protecting" the QB.

And Mike Goff didn't exactly have a solid 2008 campaign, IMO.

Basileus777
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Won't make much of a difference with Niswanger and McIntosh still "protecting" the QB.

Goff was hurt all year. He is getting up there in years though.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Adrian Jones' 2008 campaign might have been the worst I've seen in my 25 years as a fan.

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Adrian Jones' 2008 campaign might have been the worst I've seen in my 25 years as a fan.

As a very smart man once said:

Better than bad does not equal good.

:D

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
As a very smart man once said:

Better than bad does not equal good.

:D

Better than bad is still an improvement. ;)

Craqhead
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Boldin?

Yeah I'm thinking we might be in the running for this to happen. I wouldn't mind him coming here.

If he did... Personally I think we have a pretty solid set of WR's. Our O~line still needs attention tho.

TRR
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Uh, Cassel and Vrabel?

Uh Cassel and Vrabel weren't drafted...

Out of...
1 Jackson
2 Magee
3 Washington
4 Brown
5 Lawrence
6 Williams
7 O'Connell
8 Succop

I believe we only drafted one potential starter...possibly two. A lot of depth in a draft that needed a lot of immediate impact players. I'm not saying I don't like this years draft, I just think there are a couple of different direction they could have gone in.

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Better than bad is still an improvement. ;)

3-13 in 2009 would technically be an improvement, but it's still shitty.

Bottom line is that they did nothing to improve their most desperate needs, OL and LB. And Pioli can say all he wants that "it was just the way the board fell," but you and I both know that's bullshit.

Basileus777
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM

Bottom line is that they did nothing to improve their most desperate needs, OL and LB. And Pioli can say all he wants that "it was just the way the board fell," but you and I both know that's bullshit.

DLine was a desperate need. We didn't have the players to run the 3-4.

Archie Bunker
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Let's see......

We didn't draft any OLB pass rushers and he mentioned vets who wanted to wait and see, throw in a love of aging LBs and you get....

Jason Taylor

Mecca
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM

It is bullshit the Chiefs have no excuse for not coming out of this draft with 2 competent offensive linemen.

But I can't wait till we sign some more special teamers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Obviously Pioli is positioning us to get the #14 pick in 2012, so that when Vontaze Burfict declares and the other 13 teams draft the wrong guy, we'll have the final piece.

He sees drafts years in advance. He's like Neo. He manipulates the board any way that he wants to.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I will also flat say that I think taking Magee over Jarron Gilbert was dumb.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 08:45 PM

They drafted an OL. And for all we know, they have a guy on the roster they like. They've signed two vets at LB - who in this draft was going to start over either one of them THIS year?

Ask Amnorix, what we're reading here is exactly what Patriot fans said the first couple of draft under Pioli and Belichek. I'm just not gonna sweat it, there's no use in it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
DLine was a desperate need. We didn't have the players to run the 3-4.

Tyson Jackson, Alex Magee, and Tamba Hali and Mike Vrabel

or

BJ Raji, Lawrence Sidbury, and Jarron Gilbert + Hali and Vrabel

Which helps the run and pass D more if you are committed to helping out the front 7?

Basileus777
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM

or

Which helps the run and pass D more if you are committed to helping out the front 7?

I actually agree, I wanted Raji at #3.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Just wait when we pass on Carlos Dunlap next year.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Just wait when we pass on Carlos Dunlap next year.

That wouldn't surprise me at all actually.

TRR
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
I will add that it is tough to draft Haley and Pioli on this years draft because of the limited time they got to spend with the players on this roster. Next years draft will have a better feel to it based on seeing the players perform over an entire season.

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Boldin?

BETTER BE

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
That wouldn't surprise me at all actually.

Pass on a franchise QB this year and an all world DE next year. You know its going to happen.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Pass on a franchise QB this year and an all world DE next year. You know its going to happen.

They want to see if the fan base will commit suicide.

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2009, 08:59 PM

or

Exactly.

That's why I've made the comment about Pioli saying that the board just fell that way.

The board was actually set up pretty much fucking perfect for them to improve the OL and the front 7.

58kcfan89
04-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Uh Cassel and Vrabel weren't drafted...

Out of...
1 Jackson
2 Magee
3 Washington
4 Brown
5 Lawrence
6 Williams
7 O'Connell
8 Succop

I believe we only drafted one potential starter...possibly two. A lot of depth in a draft that needed a lot of immediate impact players. I'm not saying I don't like this years draft, I just think there are a couple of different direction they could have gone in.

You originally said you wanted more than 1 or 2 starters from the draft. Cassel & Vrabel came from the draft via our 2nd round pick.

But I do agree with you that I would have liked to see more starting material drafted. That's kinda what we get for not having a 2nd rounder.

I'm still firmly in the "In Pioli we trust" mode, though.

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Exactly.

That's why I've made the comment about Pioli saying that the board just fell that way.

The board was actually set up pretty much ****ing perfect for them to improve the OL and the front 7.

Their first 2 picks were both in the front 7. Alot of the OL pick after round 3 were very questionable. Some of the guys people here wanted went a full 1 or 2 rounds after most thought they would.

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Their first 2 picks were both in the front 7. Alot of the OL pick after round 3 were very questionable. Some of the guys people here wanted went a full 1 or 2 rounds after most thought they would.

So, which of these scenarios do you prefer:

Option A:

Jackson
Magee
Washington
Brown
Lawrence
Williams
O'Connell
Succop

Option B:

Raji
Gilbert
Sidbury
Meridith
Slauson
Shipley
Jennings
Ellerbe

htismaqe
04-26-2009, 09:20 PM
So, which of these scenarios do you prefer:

Option A:

Jackson
Magee
Washington
Brown
Lawrence
Williams
O'Connell
Succop

Option B:

Raji
Gilbert
Sidbury
Meridith
Slauson
Shipley
Jennings
Ellerbe

I didn't want BJ Raji, so neither option would be ideal for me.

And at the end of the day, what does it matter what I think? They're going to do what the want regardless of my opinion.

If I'm gonna let the Chiefs ruin my day because of who they drafted, I might as well find another diversion.

stevieray
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
And at the end of the day, what does it matter what I think? They're going to do what the want regardless of my opinion.

If I'm gonna let the Chiefs ruin my day because of who they drafted, I might as well find another diversion.

...can't be put more succinctly than this.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I will add that it is tough to draft Haley and Pioli on this years draft because of the limited time they got to spend with the players on this roster. Next years draft will have a better feel to it based on seeing the players perform over an entire season.

This is just bullshit.

Did Dimitroff struggle in Atlanta last year when he was hired as GM after the year?

TRR
04-26-2009, 09:41 PM
This is just bullshit.

Did Dimitroff struggle in Atlanta last year when he was hired as GM after the year?

Atlanta had older, more developed talent than what KC has on the roster now. And Atlanta also benefited from a generous schedule. It's really comparing apples and oranges.

dirk digler
04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
This is just bullshit.

The 2008 Falcons draft netted them 3 starters:

Ryan
Baker
Curtis Lofton

and 4 out of their 5 picks from rounds 5-7 aren't on the team anymore

So if I compare the Chiefs 2009 to the Falcons of 2008 the Chiefs will end up with at least 4 starters.

Cassel
Vrabel
Jackson
Magee

OnTheWarpath15
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
The 2008 Falcons draft netted them 3 starters:

Ryan
Baker
Curtis Lofton

and 4 out of their 5 picks from rounds 5-7 aren't on the team anymore

Bummer.

The 2 most important positions on a football team, and an impact LB.

Terrible draft.

dirk digler
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Bummer.

The 2 most important positions on a football team, and an impact LB.

Terrible draft.

Where did I say it was terrible? :spock:

I am just stating facts.