PDA

View Full Version : Football The room erupted when Jackson was chosen...

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2009, 11:01 PM
It was a win-win, the Seahawks wanted Curry and the Chiefs got their guy as well..

pretty cool video, if you go to the 1:20 mark you can see the phone call to Curry. Jim Mora is a good guy..

http://www.seahawks.com/media-lounge/videos/2009-draft-day-1-recap/2d550f2e-0032-4d23-8e1a-ecd208b9cb47

salame
04-26-2009, 11:06 PM
they were lucky

Shaid
04-26-2009, 11:07 PM
The Seahawks did very well for themselves this year.

salame
04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I didn't mean they were lucky in a pompous way either
I wish we got curry

veist
04-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Curry was a bad pick anywhere in the top10 imo, he doesn't play a position with any kind of high value. His impact on the field you can find throughout the first, second and third rounds. Top it off if they fail to re-sign Hill they spent #4 overall to upgrade Leroy Hill. That will be on the level of pennies on the dollar value that Cleveland got.

KCrockaholic
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
It was a win-win, the Seahawks wanted Curry and the Chiefs got their guy as well..

pretty cool video, if you go to the 1:20 mark you can see the phone call to Curry. Jim Mora is a good guy..

http://www.seahawks.com/media-lounge/videos/2009-draft-day-1-recap/2d550f2e-0032-4d23-8e1a-ecd208b9cb47

Have fun in Seattle Aaron... :deevee: Its alright, im still gonna follow him like a Hawk and be a fan of his.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Have fun in Seattle Aaron... :deevee: Its alright, im still gonna follow him like a Hawk and be a fan of his.

Jesus has LEFT THE BUILDING!ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Aaron Curry will be more succesful in Seattle than he would've in KC. This worked out wonderfully for the Hawks and Jesus. Seattle is a Godless town you know?

KCrockaholic
04-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Aaron Curry will be more succesful in Seattle than he would've in KC. This worked out wonderfully for the Hawks and Jesus. Seattle is a Godless town you know?

Now it has been blessed. :D

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Curry was a bad pick anywhere in the top10 imo, he doesn't play a position with any kind of high value. His impact on the field you can find throughout the first, second and third rounds. Top it off if they fail to re-sign Hill they spent #4 overall to upgrade Leroy Hill. That will be on the level of pennies on the dollar value that Cleveland got.

2.7% of people agree with you.. ;) Whatever, every pick is a bit of a crapshoot, Curry seems to be a pretty safe pick IMO

Which of these 2009 first-round picks is a potential bust? (Click all that apply)

69.1% No. 7 - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Oakland Raiders)
48.3% No. 1 - QB Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions)
43.7% No. 17 - QB Josh Freeman (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
30.3% No. 22 - WR Percy Harvin (Minnesota Vikings)
29.5% No. 5 - QB Mark Sanchez (New York Jets)
24.1% No. 3 - DE Tyson Jackson (Kansas City Chiefs)
18.7% No. 16 - OLB Larry English (San Diego Chargers)
18.6% No. 6 - OT Andre Smith (Cincinnati Bengals)
18.2% No. 31 - RB Chris Wells (Arizona Cardinals)
14.9% No. 30 - WR Kenny Britt (Tennessee Titans)
14.8% No. 12 - RB Knowshon Moreno (Denver Broncos)
13.9% No. 29 - WR Hakeem Nicks (New York Giants)
13.3% No. 11 - DE Aaron Maybin (Buffalo Bills)
11.7% No. 32 - DT Evander Hood (Pittsburgh Steelers)
11.4% No. 25 - CB Vontae Davis (Miami Dolphins)
11.0% No. 19 - WR Jeremy Maclin (Philadelphia Eagles)
9.7% No. 27 - RB Donald Brown (Indianapolis Colts)
9.5% No. 18 - DE Robert Ayers (Denver Broncos)
9.1% No. 10 - WR Michael Crabtree (San Francisco 49ers)
9.0% No. 13 - DE Brian Orakpo (Washington Redskins)
8.6% No. 14 - CB Malcolm Jenkins (New Orleans Saints)
8.2% No. 15 - OLB Brian Cushing (Houston Texans)
8.1% No. 20 - TE Brandon Pettigrew (Detroit Lions)
7.8% No. 26 - OLB Clay Matthews (Green Bay Packers)
7.6% No. 24 - DT Peria Jerry (Atlanta Falcons)
7.4% No. 9 - DT B.J. Raji (Green Bay Packers)
7.4% No. 28 - C Eric Wood (Buffalo Bills)
6.4% No. 21 - C Alex Mack (Cleveland Browns)
3.9% No. 23 - OT Michael Oher (Baltimore Ravens)
3.5% No. 2 - OT Jason Smith (St. Louis Rams)
3.4% No. 8 - OT Eugene Monroe (Jacksonville Jaguars)
2.7% No. 4 - OLB Aaron Curry (Seattle Seahawks)

Total Votes: 35,605

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/ballot?event_id=3823&incoming=1

Mecca
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Seattle made a spinning their wheels pick.........you pick Curry then release Hill, no gain.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-26-2009, 11:40 PM

LMAO

KCrockaholic
04-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Seattle made a spinning their wheels pick.........you pick Curry then release Hill, no gain.

So you think Curry is basically Leroy Hill?

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Hopefully we'll still sign Hill. I'm not sure there are teams out there willing to pay him more than Seattle, if there are than we'll use his 8.3 mil to sign Derrick brooks and Ken Lucas, plus get a fairly decent compensatory pick in next years draft. I personally hope we sign him though..

ArrowheadMagic
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM

without passing out in his car with marijuana in the front seat

ArrowheadMagic
04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
LMAO go on record. who are your offensive and defensive rookies of the year?

Mecca
04-26-2009, 11:46 PM

I don't think there's enough of a difference to use the #4 pick on one and then cut the other...

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
go on record. who are your offensive and defensive rookies of the year?

In House?

ArrowheadMagic
04-26-2009, 11:49 PM
In House? NFL wise.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Knowshon Moreno will be the offensive one,that's pretty easy.

Joe Seahawk
04-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't think there's enough of a difference to use the #4 pick on one and then cut the other...

Ruskells explanation makes sense to me.. What would you do Mecca?

Seahawks' GM Ruskell explains Hill decision
April 26, 2009 10:00 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

RENTON, Wash. -- The Seahawks withdrew the franchise tag from linebacker Leroy Hill because they felt the tag wasn't helping them reach a long-term deal. The team always had reservations about using the tag on Hill.

That was the word from Seahawks president Tim Ruskell during his post-draft news conference Sunday night. Coach Jim Mora said he spoke with Hill on Sunday morning. He thought Hill possibly seemed "shook up" and "disappointed" but not angry after Seattle withdrew the tag. Mora said he hoped to get something done with Hill in time for the linebacker to attend the post-draft minicamp.

The Seahawks' decision to withdraw the tag made Hill free to negotiate with other teams. Ruskell said he'll have a better feel about possibly re-signing Hill after speaking with Hill's agent, Todd France, later Sunday night. The sides have not come close to reaching an agreement.

Drafting Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry with the fourth overall choice was the driving force behind the decision to withdraw the tag, Ruskell said. The team also wanted the $8.3 million in salary-cap relief to gain flexibility for pursuing free agents. Without the cap relief, the Seahawks couldn't do "anything else" in free agency, Ruskell said.

Ruskell did not mention cornerback Ken Lucas or linebacker Derrick Brooks, but the Seahawks definitely have interest in Lucas. They brought him in for a visit last month. While discussing the secondary, Mora even made an unsolicited reference to considering options in free agency.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-26-2009, 11:52 PM
NFL wise.

I haven't even begun on something of that scale.

ArrowheadMagic
04-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Knowshon Moreno will be the offensive one,that's pretty easy.Its likely..... he will get the touches.

KCrockaholic
04-26-2009, 11:54 PM

fair enough. Im not gonna argue about a player that doesnt have a chance of being on our team.

ArrowheadMagic
04-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Ruskells explanation makes sense to me.. What would you do Mecca? a lot of money wrapped up in LB's.. 2 instances where Hill wasnt smart... One the bag of hippie lettuce.... b....not signing the tag.

Mecca
04-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't have drafted Curry if I was Seattle but that's just a difference of views I guess.

veist
04-27-2009, 12:42 AM
2.7% of people agree with you.. ;) Whatever, every pick is a bit of a crapshoot, Curry seems to be a pretty safe pick IMO

I never said he was likely to bust, in fact he is well considered the least likely bust candidate because he's a high floor low ceiling prospect. His production is probably not going to be much more impressive than his college numbers dictate. He'll be around but is he going to be a game changer? My bet is probably not, because if he was he'd have been one in college. Its just you guys don't really get better with signing him and with the Hill move. He's a luxury pick essentially and you are making it at #4. Fortunately to offset this the Broncos also lost their mind and gave you a probable top10 pick next year.

Also they withdrew the tag because it was getting in the way of signing him because they just drove the cost of his franchise tender up.

And if Curry wins DRotY it will be because he has a bunch of tackles, and not because he actually did anything super awesome. Tackles is the most overrated statistic ever but the people love it when someone puts up big numbers in it for some dumbass reason.

ArrowheadMagic
04-27-2009, 12:46 AM
I haven't even begun on something of that scale.

Which defensive player has the "mojo"?

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Which defensive player has the "mojo"?

Perhaps you have not been schooled in the proper method of obtaining a justified Mojo Pick.

This involves film. Lots of film. And not just 1st round, but second round too. So in essence, your asking me to pick one player out of how many defensive picks went down in 64 turns on the clock.

That's a lot of work.

What am I gonna' get for my work?

buddha
04-27-2009, 01:20 AM
And if Curry wins DRotY it will be because he has a bunch of tackles, and not because he actually did anything super awesome. Tackles is the most overrated statistic ever but the people love it when someone puts up big numbers in it for some dumbass reason.

Curry will get a BUNCH of tackles...I can only hope our LBers have as many of those overrated things.

It sure has become fashionable to dis LBers. The same goes for five tech DEs. If some of the "experts" around here will actually take the time to listen to Pioli explain how certain positions create value in a 3-4 on the official site, they might actually learn something. Listen to the Jimmy Johnson story about Russell Maryland and how Maryland was one of the most important pieces of those great Dallas defenses, even though he never had great stats. You need great players in key positions who will do exactly what they are coached to do. It's not about the highlights, it's not about the stats...it's about winning.

Curry is a winner, but I like Jackson as well. Jackson plays a more important position for KC at this point, so he makes more sense. As for the fans who worry about Jackson being over paid, what...? Are you writing the checks? ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Curry will get a BUNCH of tackles...I can only hope our LBers have as many of those overrated things.

It sure has become fashionable to dis LBers. The same goes for five tech DEs. If some of the "experts" around here will actually take the time to listen to Pioli explain how certain positions create value in a 3-4 on the official site, they might actually learn something. Listen to the Jimmy Johnson story about Russell Maryland and how Maryland was one of the most important pieces of those great Dallas defenses, even though he never had great stats. You need great players in key positions who will do exactly what they are coached to do. It's not about the highlights, it's not about the stats...it's about winning.

Curry is a winner, but I like Jackson as well. Jackson plays a more important position for KC at this point, so he makes more sense. As for the fans who worry about Jackson being over paid, what...? Are you writing the checks? ROFL

Exactly; it's Patriots Vanilla Football:

The most boring trip to a Championship you will ever experience. A place for everything, and everything in it's place.
But maybe Coach Haley doesn't necessarily jive with that mold. God I hope so. Bring the Fire!

veist
04-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Yes, a single player racking up a ton of tackles is overrated it doesn't mean anything significant other than "I'm not a terrible football player" because it has no context. If a player gets 150 tackles and 50 of them were actually 8yds down field how is that impressive? Its a nearly meaningless statistic because it has no context.