PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Walterfootball Draft Grades

ferrarispider95
04-27-2009, 12:54 AM
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009kc.php

Chiefs

Changing the defense to a 3-4 when the team had predominantly 4-3 personnel was strike one. Investing a lot of money and faith into a shotgun system quarterback was strike two. The 2009 NFL Draft was strike three.

My draft grades aren't so much about the players. Instead, they're more about the positions each team addressed; whether a team gave up too much in a trade; or whether each franchise followed the blueprint it needed to follow.

So, with that in mind, I was a bit baffled by Scott Pioli's draft choices. Taking Tyson Jackson, a projected lesser talent, over Aaron Curry, the consensus top defensive player in the class, could haunt the Chiefs for years to come. Neither Jackson nor Curry offered much in positional value, so the latter was a no-brainer. Jackson was projected to go 9-12 until rumors surfaced that Kansas City was interested in him. Curry, meanwhile, reportedly was the fallback option to go No. 1.

Getting off the Jackson issue, the Chiefs surrendered 37 sacks last year and garnered only 10 of their own. Pioli did absolutely nothing to help either category. No rush linebackers. No nose tackle. No offensive linemen until pick No. 139. Instead, Pioli decided to draft a third 3-4 end and a nickel corner before touching the offensive line. It's beginning to sound like Pioli's plan for Kansas City doesn't involve protecting Matt Cassel or getting to the other quarterback.

Grade give on 4/27/09: D

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

3. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
Neither 3-4 end or linebacker offer much in terms of positional value. So, the Chiefs had to take the best defensive player on the board. Instead of Aaron Curry, the consensus No. 1 defensive player, they drafted Tyson Jackson, a much lesser prospect in terms of overall talent. This is yet another instance where Scott Pioli proves that he has absolutely no clue. Trading for a system quarterback with no arm strength should have been a sign that he'd mess up this pick. (Pick Grade: D)

67. Alex Magee, DE/DT, Purdue
I guess Scott Pioli plans on playing with as many 3-4 ends as possible. I'm all for acquiring defensive line depth, so I'm not giving the Chiefs a terrible grade, but they have so many other needs. Are the Chiefs going to eclipse 10 sacks in 2008? I'm not so sure. (Pick Grade: B)

102. Donald Washington, CB, Ohio State
The Chiefs have so many big needs. Corner isn't one of them. Donald Washington is solid value, so that saves this from being an F. You can never have enough cornerbacking depth, but Kansas City doesn't appear interested in addressing some of its needs. (Pick Grade: C)

139. Colin Brown, OT, Missouri
Scott Pioli lives up to his reputation of taking inferior talents over superior prospects. This was a pretty big reach, but at least it addresses a need. (Pick Grade: D)

175. Quinten Lawrence, WR, McNeese State
The Chiefs needed a guy to play across from Dwayne Bowe. Scott Pioli, of course, doesn't take the best player off the board. (Pick Grade: C)

212. Javarris Williams, RB, Tennessee State
I actually think this is great value for the Chiefs. Javarris Williams was arguably a mid-round prospect. If Larry Johnson leaves in the next year or two, Williams will be a nice complement to Jamaal Charles. (Pick Grade: A)

237. Jake O'Connell, TE, Miami of Ohio
A tight end to help replace Tony Gonzalez. I'll go out on a limb and say Jake O'Connell doesn't do that. No value here. (Pick Grade: C)

256. Ryan Succop, K, South Carolina
Scott Pioli sticks to his guns - taking less talented players at the position (or side of the ball). Graham Gano? Maybe Pioli knows something I don't. (Pick Grade: C)

ferrarispider95
04-27-2009, 12:55 AM
ROFL

Raiders
Raider fans can no longer send me serious e-mails, criticizing me that I make fun of Al Davis for reaching for the best 40 times available. Undead Al's performance at the 2009 NFL Draft was very amusing. I really don't know what was funnier - the actual picks, Mel Kiper's reaction to the selections or the fact that Tom Cable looked completely defeated in an interview with ESPN.

Grade give on 4/27/09: FAIL

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

7. Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
No production. Inconsistent hands. And Michael Crabtree was on the board!!! Al Davis - FAIL. (Pick Grade: Z-)

47. Michael Mitchell, SS, Ohio
Al Davis is out of control. I don't care if Michael Mitchell becomes the best safety in NFL history. This is a horrible pick. Mitchell was a sixth-round prospect at best. This selection is so horrendous, forum user Mycarman invented a new grade appropriate for a pick like this: (Pick Grade: MILLEN)

71. Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin
The Raiders needed a defensive end, but that doesn't mean you should draft a late-round prospect in Round 3. It's now apparent more than ever that Al Davis is living in his own delusional world. (Pick Grade: F)

124. Louis Murphy, WR, Florida
Finally - a player who isn't a reach. I actually love this pick from a value standpoint. Maybe Al Davis is finally turning things around... (Pick Grade: A)

126. Slade Norris, OLB, Oregon State
...OK, maybe not. This is yet another reach by Oakland. Al Davis really needs to bring someone in to run things. (Pick Grade: F)

199. Stryker Sulak, DE, Missouri
No surprise here. Stryker Sulak is a quick pass-rusher. Unlike Darrius Heyward-Bey and Michael Mitchell, this is not a reach. (Pick Grade: B)

202. Brandon Myers, TE, Iowa
Not a great 40 time, so you have to wonder if someone else made this pick. Still a reach though. (Pick Grade: C)

KCChiefsMan
04-27-2009, 01:44 AM
man he was harsh on us

Mecca
04-27-2009, 01:46 AM
man he was harsh on us

I think that's better than all the teams that grade with the nice theme where the lowest grade you see is a C.

I don't think anyone in the division deserves above a B and it's San Diego.

kcchiefsus
04-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Walterfootball is a shit site, like I give a fuck what they say.

Mecca
04-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Well I guess that's one way to stick the ol fingers in the ears.

Blick
04-27-2009, 01:58 AM
He was harsh, but he wasn't off. I'm a little more optimistic than most, so I would bump up a couple of his grades, but other than that, I can't really argue with his ratings.

LOL at the Raiders' grades, though.

oaklandhater
04-27-2009, 02:23 AM
I can't wait to come back and bump this up in a few years The Truth hurts........

Bob Dole
04-27-2009, 02:24 AM

Are the Chiefs going to eclipse 10 sacks in 2008? I'm not so sure.

Bob Dole is pretty sure the 2008 sack stats are final. So the answer would be "no".

|Zach|
04-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Bob Dole is pretty sure the 2008 sack stats are final. So the answer would be "no".

LMAO

chiefzilla1501
04-27-2009, 04:14 AM
I can handle people not liking the draft, but it's another when they make it personal. This wasn't a criticism of the Chiefs' draft, it was some draft nerd trying to insist that he's a lot smarter than Scott Pioli, a guy who has earned a place as at least a respected (even if not always perfect) NFL Executive.

Micjones
04-27-2009, 04:38 AM
I can handle people not liking the draft, but it's another when they make it personal. This wasn't a criticism of the Chiefs' draft, it was some draft nerd trying to insist that he's a lot smarter than Scott Pioli, a guy who has earned a place as at least a respected (even if not always perfect) NFL Executive.

My sentiments exactly.

There wasn't much commentary on the actual picks and a lot of second guessing Pioli's decision-making.

It's almost like Pioli refused the guy an interview once.
Or slept with his wife...
:D

kysirsoze
04-27-2009, 04:40 AM
ROFL

Raiders
Raider fans can no longer send me serious e-mails, criticizing me that I make fun of Al Davis for reaching for the best 40 times available. Undead Al's performance at the 2009 NFL Draft was very amusing. I really don't know what was funnier - the actual picks, Mel Kiper's reaction to the selections or the fact that Tom Cable looked completely defeated in an interview with ESPN.

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

No production. Inconsistent hands. And Michael Crabtree was on the board!!! Al Davis - FAIL. (Pick Grade: Z-)

Al Davis is out of control. I don't care if Michael Mitchell becomes the best safety in NFL history. This is a horrible pick. Mitchell was a sixth-round prospect at best. This selection is so horrendous, forum user Mycarman invented a new grade appropriate for a pick like this: (Pick Grade: MILLEN)

The Raiders needed a defensive end, but that doesn't mean you should draft a late-round prospect in Round 3. It's now apparent more than ever that Al Davis is living in his own delusional world. (Pick Grade: F)

Finally - a player who isn't a reach. I actually love this pick from a value standpoint. Maybe Al Davis is finally turning things around... (Pick Grade: A)

...OK, maybe not. This is yet another reach by Oakland. Al Davis really needs to bring someone in to run things. (Pick Grade: F)

No surprise here. Stryker Sulak is a quick pass-rusher. Unlike Darrius Heyward-Bey and Michael Mitchell, this is not a reach. (Pick Grade: B)

Not a great 40 time, so you have to wonder if someone else made this pick. Still a reach though. (Pick Grade: C)

ROFL

Mr_Tomahawk
04-27-2009, 06:49 AM
wtf is walterfootball, a xanga site? :hmmm:

King_Chief_Fan
04-27-2009, 06:57 AM

It is easy for these wipes to stand back and be critical when they themsleves do not have any skin in the game. None of them back it up with what they would have done. Besides, Chiefs aren't done yet. Protection for Cassel and another D player or two is on the way via FA.

We will grade Pioli and Haley through the season and through next year.
We haven't seen the product yet and likely won't for a couple of years.

Mr. Kotter
04-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Pioli must have kicked the shit out of this writer.....back in college. And then stole his girlfriend, and made him watch them "get it on." Very little of substance about the players; seemed more like this guy hates Pioli though....for some reason or other.

Holy crap, can't you imagine some fout-eyed geek with a pocket-protector slumped over his computer getting back at the dude who kicked his ass back in college. Seriously, WTF is it with this guy?

LMAO

Bwana
04-27-2009, 07:07 AM
I have no idea how these players will work out, but I did want Curry in the first for sure. I would have given our draft a "C" but as stated above, I have no clue how any of these players are going to work out. I have a feeling we are going to be picking players off the trash heap when teams start cuttting people loose though. We still need some help in the OL department IMHO.

KcFanInGA
04-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Yeah this guy is off a bit. Now I didn't like the TE pick but to say Pioli drafted this guy to replace Tony Gonzalez is a joke. Don't know when people will see that we are not and will not get another Tony for a while, if ever.

Ultra Peanut
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
I agree with this grade.

cmh6476
04-27-2009, 07:29 AM
i kinda see this as contradictory:

Getting off the Jackson issue, the Chiefs surrendered 37 sacks last year and garnered only 10 of their own. Pioli did absolutely nothing to help either category.

and then the fact that he hammers on the DL picks. Wouldn't the DL picks be trying to address that lack of pass rush he references?

:shrug:

Fritz88
04-27-2009, 07:31 AM
ROFL

Raiders

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

warrior
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Truth hurts C-to D+

keg in kc
04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Grades like that are what you get when people don't understand that the draft isn't about fixing what's wrong with the roster right now, it's about getting the players that grade the best on your board as pieces of the long-term puzzle. There's months of free agency left to fill in specific holes.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Grades like that are what you get when people don't understand that the draft isn't about fixing what's wrong with the roster right now, it's about getting the players that grade the best on your board as pieces of the long-term puzzle. There's months of free agency left to fill in specific holes.

Which leads to this question:

Who is left in FA that can help us on the OL, and at LB - specifically rushing the passer?

whoman69
04-27-2009, 07:45 AM
This guys does something I always hate in arguing your side, take everything to the extreme and then make his arguments from there. His first argument against Jackson falls totally flat. If he wants to make that argument that we take Curry because he's the best player available, then he also needs to tell us where he would play for the Chiefs and why he is such a value there. Curry may end up being a big star in Seattle, but he wouldn't in KC. The fact that we have Zach Thomas in that spot shows that we only need someone that is solid who will not be caught out of position, at least for now. If Jackson is a 9-12 guy, that isn't a big reach from 3. If the Chiefs don't like or don't have a use for 3-8 then why should they take them?

I am normally one to judge a draft by value based. Otherwise we can't even talk about the draft until 2011, so what's the point? If you can only judge something in hindsight, then your judgement is worthless. Michael Mitchell might be a great player for the Raiders. That's not the point. If the Raiders could have waited until round six or seven to get him, they could have gotten another player they liked at two. I don't think its wrong that the Raiders saw something they liked in this guy and pulled the trigger. I think its wrong that they pulled the trigger so soon. Same with their first round pick. Maybe they didn't like Crabtree for one reason or the other, pick someone else that is expected to be there. They had a lot of needs and could have gotten their guy in round 2.

bsp4444
04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
His own player pick grades (1A, 1B, 4C's, and 2 D's) average out to a C. While I agree with his thoughts, especially about the offensive line, he may have been a little harsh.

MMXcalibur
04-27-2009, 07:53 AM
I love draft grades the Monday after the NFL Draft! Or not....
You cannot adequately "grade" how well a team drafted for at least 3 years, in my opinion. All of this Monday Morning Quarterbacking of the Draft is completely inane bullshit.

...and I was saying this same thing last season when we were getting fellated left and right by analysts for our draft prowess....I just wasn't here on ChiefsPlanet yet to speak my mind :)

Joe Seahawk
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
This guy seems to not like Pioli.. Why does he feel the need to mention Pioli in this article on the Seahawks draft? Weird..

Seattle Seahawks (Last Year: 4-12)

2009 NFL Draft Grade:

It was pretty ironic that for the most part, the teams drafting at the bottom of each round acquired better talent than the teams atop each round. Seattle was one of the few exceptions.

Unlike the Lions and Chiefs, the Seahawks have a plan. General manager Tim Ruskell knows that he has a bunch of old veterans on his team, so he had to acquire players who could help him win now. That's why Mark Sanchez was never an option.

I would say that Aaron Curry will be a high impact player on the Seattle's defense in 2009. Rookie linebackers tend to contribute immediately, and Curry was the top defensive player in this class.

Meanwhile, Max Unger could also contribute in 2009; Deon Butler was the best receiver at Penn State; and the Seahawks came away with some nice values in Round 7.

Best of all, however, was the fact that Seattle stole a first-round pick away from the Broncos. The Seahawks, who have a great shot at winning the NFC West, could be drafting in the top five in 2010.

Grade give on 4/27/09: A+

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

4. Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
Unlike the Chiefs, the Seahawks understand how to acquire talent in the NFL Draft. Seattle is getting the best defensive player in the 2009 NFL Draft, thanks to Scott Pioli's ineptness. An easy A. (Pick Grade: A)

49. Max Unger, C/G, Oregon
The Seahawks gave up just a fourth-round pick to move up for Max Unger. I'm always a fan of addressing the offensive line if a need is there. Unger is a great fit for Seattle. (Pick Grade: A)

91. Deon Butler, WR, Penn State
Seattle had to find a receiver after passing on Michael Crabtree at No. 4. Deon Butler was the best receiver at Penn State (not Derrick Williams), so I love this pick for the Seahawks. (Pick Grade: A)

178. Mike Teel, QB, Rutgers
Seattle was going to look for a developmental quarterback in the late rounds. Mike Teel certainly belongs in this draft range. (Pick Grade: B)

245. Courtney Greene, S, Rutgers
Awesome draft value for the Seahawks, who needed some help in their secondary. (Pick Grade: A)

247. Nick Reed, DE, Oregon
One of the three things you need to do in order to win consistently is to get to the quarterback. That's why depth on the defensive line is really important. (Pick Grade: A)

248. Cameron Morrah, TE, California
This is the right draft range for Cameron Morrah, but it really doesn't address a need. (Pick Grade: B)

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
This guy seems to not like Pioli.. Why does he feel the need to mention Pioli in this article on the Seahawks draft? Weird..

I liked the Curry, Greene and Reed picks. As a Rutgers fan, though, I've got to scratch my head over your selection of Teel.

TEX
04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I just look at the Chiefs draft as Pioli getting Haley part of his "22 guys off the street" to win more than 2 games...

Christofire
04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Wouldn't the DL picks be trying to address that lack of pass rush he references?

In my opinion, yes and no. Yes, it would be great to find D-Linemen who can get to the passer. But in the 3/4, I don't think the burden falls solely on the defensive line to pressure the quarterback (unlike the Tampa Two, which works best with an dominating D-line.) In my understanding, the biggest benefit of the 3/4 is its unpredictability. You're bringing different guys from different angles on each play (meaning LBs/safeties/etc.), trying to create two-on-one matchups where only one guy can get blocked. And within that scenario, it opens the door for either A) a LB/or safety to have a free run at the quarterback or B) a D-linemen to be able to take advantage of an O-lineman who is out of position because of additional pressure. So the responsibility for sacks is on the scheme, not just the D-line.

And because that same D-Line still has to be able to defend the run and may be facing a number of double-teams themselves, the end has to be stout and still be able to move. I think the fact that he's ignoring Tyson Jackson's mobility as a near-300 pounder is a flaw in his argument.

So I guess my opinion is this: If you want to find fault with Pioli as a GM who couldn't swing a trade to get Jackson a few slots lower with a few additional picks to boot, then that's understandable. But if this is the guy we would have wound up anyway, there's nothing wrong with the pick in and of itself.

Joe Seahawk
04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I liked the Curry, Greene and Reed picks. As a Rutgers fan, though, I've got to scratch my head over your selection of Teel.

Yeah I did a little internet research on that guy right after we drafted him and it wasn't pretty.. Apparently our staff was impressed with the way he battled back from a 1-5 start in his senior season.. :shrug:

beach tribe
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
man he was harsh on us
Probably because he obviously thinks that every team should draft for need. Which is why he's writing articles, and not making draft picks.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Yeah I did a little internet research on that guy right after we drafted him and it wasn't pretty.. Apparently our staff was impressed with the way he battled back from a 1-5 start in his senior season.. :shrug:

On the plus side, he's a nice kid.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Probably because he obviously thinks that every team should draft for need. Which is why he's writing articles, and not making draft picks.

:spock:

We spent our first 2 picks on need, even though they were better values at more pressing needs on the board.

If Pioli and company wasn't trying to take a round peg and jam it into a square hole by changing to a 3-4, this draft looks completely different.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 08:54 AM

We spent our first 2 picks on need, even though they were better values at more pressing needs on the board.

If Pioli and company wasn't trying to take a round peg and jam it into a square hole by changing to a 3-4, this draft looks completely different.

You take the Vermeil drafts and Herm drafts it looks like at the end of the day you've got DJ, Colquitt, Flowers and Albert who are safe and that's about it. DJ's only safe because they didn't upgrade the LB's in this years draft. Such a waste to give Carl and Herm the keys to the rebuild last year, but at least they got Albert, Flowers and Carr. We'll see if Carr sticks around though.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I found his Bronco comments to be the same as some idiot on a message board.

beach tribe
04-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Just because the picks we made we're positions of need, doesn't mean we were drafting for need. We had more pressing needs. You're right. which would suggest to me that Pioli was taking the players he considered to be the best value. Duh.

RINGLEADER
04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
This is the same guy who gave us a "B" for this sterling group of selections from 2006:

1st - Tamba Hali
2nd - Bernard Pollard
3rd - Brodie Croyle
5th - Marcus Maxey
6th - Tre Stallings
6th - Jeff Webb
7th - Jarred Page

Read other great observations (from Devin Hester sucking to Joseph Addai having no chance to replace Edgerin James) from this moron here:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2006G.php

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Just because the picks we made we're positions of need, doesn't mean we were drafting for need. We had more pressing needs. You're right. which would suggest to me that Pioli was taking the players he considered to be the best value. Duh.

The 5 technique was only a position of need due to Pioli and Haley trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and change to a 3-4 defense.

You know way too much about football to think that drafting a 5-technique is good value at #3 overall.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I can't wait to come back and bump this up in a few years The Truth hurts........

I'm telling you!

That was about as spot-on an analysis as I've ever read. Uncanny.

Mr. Krab
04-27-2009, 09:45 AM
This guy seems to not like Pioli.. Why does he feel the need to mention Pioli in this article on the Seahawks draft? Weird..He mentioned Kansas City because they were slotted to take the guy that Seattle ended up taking. Aaron Curry.

beach tribe
04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
The 5 technique was only a position of need due to Pioli and Haley trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and change to a 3-4 defense.

You know way too much about football to think that drafting a 5-technique is good value at #3 overall.

How many time do you people have to be told? Let's do this one more time.

THERE WAS NO VALUE AT THREE.

WhitiE
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM

and then the fact that he hammers on the DL picks. Wouldn't the DL picks be trying to address that lack of pass rush he references?

dunno if anyone answered you yet or not... but to him its not because he doesn't see jackson as a pass rusher

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
He mentioned Kansas City because they were slotted to take the guy that Seattle ended up taking. Aaron Curry.

The love affair with Curry is sickening. He's a 4-3 OLB, it would have been an awful pick for us.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Plus Curry plaed for a defense that got owned in any meaningful game they ever played.

Cormac
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Pioli knows something I don't. (Pick Grade: C)

Well, that about sums it up.

RUSH
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Walter doesn't know shit for a guy that does this for a living. He never struck me as anyone that has an abundance of knowledge of the game. The other guy on his site is pretty good. Matt...something I forgot his last name. I could care less what Walter thinks of our draft or anyone else's for that matter.

chiefscafan
04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Ok what this idiot and most draft gurus forget to add is that you need to add cassel and vrabel to this list because they were our second round draft picks.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 10:17 AM
How many time do you people have to be told? Let's do this one more time.

THERE WAS NO VALUE AT THREE.

That is absolutely, 100% not true.

The NT in a 3-4 scheme is just as, if not more important as a OLB that can rush the passer.

BJ Raji was that guy, taken ironically by another team transitioning to the 3-4.

I'm sorry, but you'll never convince me that there is Top 5 value in a 5 technique.

beach tribe
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM

The NT in a 3-4 scheme is just as, if not more important as a OLB that can rush the passer.

BJ Raji was that guy, taken ironically by another team transitioning to the 3-4.

I'm sorry, but you'll never convince me that there is Top 5 value in a 5 technique.

Pioli obviously thinks what I think. That BJ Raji is gonna turn into a big fat sloppy tub of goo, and therefore has no value.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM

BJ Raji has never played 3-4 NT before. People are projecting him based on his size, but have OPENLY said that he's a better fit as a 4-3 penetrator.

In addition, the guys has all kinds of red flags surrounding his character.

Raji would have been a good need pick, but he's not top 5 VALUE.

vailpass
04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
"Z-" and "Matt Millen" are comedy gold.