PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Peter King's take on the Chiefs' draft

FringeNC
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Scott Pioli's first draft was like the Patriots' first few with Pioli running the scouting department in New England: blue-collar players who love the game and will work at it. Tyson Jackson may not lead the league in sacks (he had 18.5 in three starting seasons at LSU), but he will lead the team in "yes sirs'' and will play all four spots on the defensive line. I got a good feeling being around the Chiefs for a couple of days, but I don't know if that means they'll be a hustling 6-10 team or a hustling 10-6 team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/26/draft/1.html

Sure-Oz
04-27-2009, 08:16 AM
interesting, hopefully these guys can be similiar to what the pats have. Maybe not a TON of talent but they kick ass as a unit.

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2009, 08:18 AM
A hustling 6-10 team would be a very successful season, IMO.

Stewie
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
...and has anyone, anywhere, figured out what Denver was doing drafting a RB with their first pick? King chimes in with the same confusion here. I suppose Denver knows their needs better than anyone, but that's a head-scratcher.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM

If i remember right, the Pats only won 5 or 6 games in Pioli and Bellicheks first year there:2000

Im thinking the Chiefs will be about the same. 5 wins. I hope....

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Pioli and Belichick had the media so trained in NE, they automatically defer to those guys in all matters. Pioli already broke the spirit and will of 99% of the media in KC. Nobody is going to question him out of fear of losing what little access he grants.

dtebbe
04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
...and has anyone, anywhere, figured out what Denver was doing drafting a RB with their first pick? King chimes in with the same confusion here. I suppose Denver knows their needs better than anyone, but that's a head-scratcher.

The guy they took will be a special NFL player. He's got it all.

DT

dirk digler
04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
?

I think the Patriots' draft was ... well, uninspired. Keep in mind, we all said the same thing about Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Matt Light and Logan Mankins. But it was almost like the Patriots lost a guy (Percy Harvin? Brandon Pettigrew? Larry English?) they liked right above their first-round pick, then just started dumping, and by the time they picked, they were down to the Patrick Chungs of the world at 34.

6. I think it was a pleasure to share quarters Saturday at the Chiefs' draft with old friend Bob Gretz ("bobgretz.com'' is one of the underrated football-knowledge and football-opinion sites on the 'net, and Gretz is one of the most thoughtful writer/broadcasters I know). We were sitting there watching the nine first-round picks being introduced before the draft, and as the camera panned the crowd packing three levels of the Radio City Music Hall, Gretz said what I wished I'd said: "Look at that! Look at it! The NFL is amazing -- there's not even a game going on, and the place is packed, and millions like us are watching like it's some huge event.''

Christofire
04-27-2009, 08:39 AM
This is another nice nugget from King's article, talking about Atlanta GM Thomas Dmitroff's decision-making. Hopefully we can say this about Pioli at the end of the upcoming season:

"Thomas Dimitroff overpaid for a 33-year-old tight end in year 13, but Dimitroff has proven in 14 months on the job that he doesn't care what you and I and the man in the moon think about things like Sam Baker picked too high at 21, or a two for Gonzalez. He just gets the right players and doesn't beat himself up too much over the compensation."

ChiefMojo
04-27-2009, 08:54 AM
That is one thing everyone finds out quickly. Personnel people that come out from under Belichick aren't going to give one rats what the media or fans think or say about them. They are extremely confident in what they think works. They have a certain type of system they use and they don't stray from it. It is interesting to go back to old Pioli interviews and see what he says. He is always consistent on what they are looking for and the way they go about it... one heck of a system!

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2009, 09:23 AM
No one ever though Vince Wilfork was ho-hum. No one. That's why I was shocked that we passed on him and took DJ Williams. If you saw Vince play for Miami in College you knew he was bad ass. Watch one game from his senior season and you'd leave the game knowing who he is.

raybec 4
04-27-2009, 09:52 AM

A hustling season with any record would be an improvement. Herm didn't exactly have these guys busting their asses out there.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
No one ever though Vince Wilfork was ho-hum. No one. That's why I was shocked that we passed on him and took DJ Williams. If you saw Vince play for Miami in College you knew he was bad ass. Watch one game from his senior season and you'd leave the game knowing who he is.

Well, anybody that is including Wilfork in the discussion isn't doing their homework. The Pats were established by the time they took him. They had already won 2 of their 3 Super Bowls BEFORE he was drafted.

The picks that are being talked about as ho-hum are Warren and Seymour. Both picks were head-scratchers at the time.

Deberg_1990
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
The picks that are being talked about as ho-hum are Warren and Seymour. Both picks were head-scratchers at the time.

Average fans will always favor the "sexy" picks like WR's, RB's, QBs, pass catching TE's, pass rushers etc....

Most people dont understand the nuances of good offensive and defensive line work.

Heck, i dont even understand most of it myself.

EyePod
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd be very happy with 6-10 next season, especially with our division.

EyePod
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Well, anybody that is including Wilfork in the discussion isn't doing their homework. The Pats were established by the time they took him. They had already won 2 of their 3 Super Bowls BEFORE he was drafted.

We can only hope that they are talking like this 5 years down the road with us!