PDA

View Full Version : Complete NFL Draft Grades - Mel Kiper (ESPN Insider)

Buck
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Packers, Jets get top grades

It took two days, but the NFL draft is over and now is the fun part, as every team's fans get to see their new players try on the jersey and hopefully report to camp on time. Let's take a look at my grades for each team's draft.

Green Bay Packers: GRADE: A
I love what this team did to solidify its shaky defense in the first two picks alone, with the selection of two excellent players in defensive tackle B.J. Raji and outside linebacker Clay Matthews. Tackle T.J. Lang was a good pickup for the offensive line, while Quinn Johnson could be a bruising lead fullback in the league. Sixth-round pick Brandon Underwood could make this team and give the Packers depth as a backup.

New York Jets: GRADE: A-
The motto of the Jets' draft was quality over quantity. Mark Sanchez's selection made this team's draft because he's a franchise-maker. New coach Rex Ryan likes his defense, so the organization felt it could focus on the offense in his first draft. The Jets picked up Iowa running back Shonn Greene, who will fit into the rotation with Leon Washington and Thomas Jones. Guard Matthew Slauson was an OK pick in the sixth round, but the key to this draft is up top with Greene and Sanchez.

Arizona Cardinals: GRADE: B+
Chris Wells was a major acquisition for the Cardinals in the first round of this draft. He was a bargain for a team that was in dire need of a running back to rotate in with second-year back Tim Hightower. Wells gives this team the home run threat that the running game was sorely lacking last season. In addition to Wells, I liked the Cody Brown pick in the second round because he should be a good 3-4 rushing end in the Cardinals' system. Bringing in LSU offensive lineman Herman Johnson in the fifth round and Illinois defensive end Will Davis in the sixth were good pickups for this organization. While I thought Johnson was a bit overrated, he is huge and will give the line a big presence when he's on the field.

Buffalo Bills: GRADE: B+
Aaron Maybin was the pass-rusher this team needed to anchor the defensive line. On the other side of the line, the selections of center Eric Wood and guard Andrew Levitre in the second round were excellent picks. Wood is a very good center and Levitre very well may be the best guard in this draft. Also, Jairus Byrd's ball skills could help him become a very good nickelback in this league. They got the tight end they needed in Shawn Nelson to give this offense another weapon. The reason this team didn't receive an A is because it didn't get a right or a left tackle, which I thought was a need with the trade of offensive tackle Jason Peters.

The Texans select Brian Cushing with the No. 15 pick in the 2009 Draft.
Houston Texans: GRADE: B+
This was a very productive draft, as the Texans' first five picks (Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, Glover Quin and Anthony Hill) will all contribute quickly. These are solid football players and I really like the Barwin pick. Look for sixth-rounder Brice McCain and seventh-round selection Troy Nolan to also compete for playing time.

New England Patriots: GRADE: B+
You have to give the Patriots credit for acquiring even more picks for next year's draft. Safety Patrick Chung, defensive tackle Ron Brace and cornerback Darius Butler were all good selections in the second round, although offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer was a reach. Wide receiver Brandon Tate was a decent third-round pick and I really like the sixth-round selection of Jacob Ingram, the best long snapper in the draft.

San Francisco 49ers: GRADE: B+
Obviously the 49ers hit the jackpot with wide receiver Michael Crabtree falling to them at No. 10. Running back Glen Coffee gives the 49ers a nice one-two punch with Frank Gore. Getting inside linebacker Scott McKillop in the fifth round was a steal. Bear Pascoe is one of the best blocking tight ends in the draft, and the two LSU kids (Curtis Taylor and Ricky Jean-Francois) were great pickups in the seventh round.

Atlanta Falcons: GRADE: B
The Falcons did a good job early with the Peria Jerry pick in the first round and the selection of safety William Moore in the second. I really like the Moore pick because if he is able to get healthy, he could be one of the top steals of this draft. He has a tremendous amount of talent and could be a superstar for this franchise. Overall, the Falcons did a nice job for the second year in a row.

The Ravens swap with the Patriots to take OT Michael Oher with the No. 23 pick.
Baltimore Ravens: GRADE: B
First-round selection Michael Oher gives this team great flexibility on the offensive line because he can play right or left tackle for the Ravens. Second-round pick Paul Kruger has the ability to play immediately in this league and may push for ample playing time. Also, Lardarius Webb is a little light at around 180 pounds, but with the help of an experienced safety to support him, he can definitely play cornerback in this league. I love the fifth-round selection of inside linebacker Jason Phillips. He's going to fit in very well with this talented group of linebackers.

Chicago Bears: GRADE: B
I think Jarron Gilbert is one of the steals of the draft. Wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias was a good pick, as were cornerback D.J. Moore and wide receiver Johnny Knox. Seventh-round pick Derek Kinder could turn out to be quite a sleeper if he's able to return to his strong level of play before his injury a couple of years ago.

Cincinnati Bengals: GRADE: B
The Bengals had a lot of picks and they did a good job getting good quality with their quantity. Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga and Michael Johnson are great ways to start a draft for any team. These guys could fill big holes for the Bengals. The fourth-round selection of offensive lineman Jonathan Luigs was a little high, but it wasn't crazy. The late-round picks weren't anything to write home about, but they did a good job of getting strength in numbers and getting some depth for their team.

New York Giants: GRADE: B
The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.

Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B
First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed. Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round. Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

The Seahawks select Aaron Curry with the No. 4 pick in the 2009 draft.
Seattle Seahawks: GRADE: B
The Seahawks passed on Sanchez to get Aaron Curry, and while I don't agree with the pick, it's not a bad pick for the Hawks, especially since Curry was the No. 1 player on my board. Max Unger is an excellent fit for this offensive line and wide receiver Deon Butler reminds me of Bobby Engram. I don't understand the Mike Teel pick in the sixth round because there were better quarterbacks out there, but the selection of safety Courtney Greene in the seventh round was a great selection.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: GRADE: B
The Bucs could've stayed where they were and still gotten Josh Freeman, so I don't understand the decision to trade up for him. He has a lot of upside, but he's a risk/reward type of player because he isn't as polished as some of the other top quarterbacks in this draft. The Bucs made some very solid picks throughout the draft, including defensive end Kyle Moore in the fourth round and wide receiver Sammie Stroughter in the final round.

Cleveland Browns: GRADE: B-
Alex Mack was a good pick at No. 21 and Mohamed Massaquoi was a very good pickup in the second round. I think fellow second-rounder David Veikune was a bit of a reach in that round, but not enough of one to seriously dent the Browns' grade. They didn't get a great receiver in Brian Robiskie in the second round, but he's polished enough as a rookie that he could be a solid possession guy for this franchise.

Detroit Lions: GRADE: B-
Matthew Stafford was what this team needed, but fellow first-rounder Brandon Pettigrew was a reach at No. 21. Third-round pick DeAndre Levy was a little bit of a reach, but a good pick. Selecting Derrick Williams in the third round was a good move. The best late-round pick for this team was seventh-rounder Zach Follett out of California. The Lions should've gotten a left tackle at some point since that is an obvious need right now, particularly with their current quarterback situation.

The Philadelphia Eagles draft WR Jeremy Maclin with the 19th pick in the 2009 draft.
Philadelphia Eagles: GRADE: B-
Wide receiver Jeremy Maclin was a good pick, but he needs to work on his route running to be a consistent threat in the NFL. Running back LeSean McCoy was a good selection in the second round and so was tight end Cornelius Ingram in the fifth round. The fifth round was a good round for the Eagles, who also picked up cornerback Victor Harris and offensive tackle Fenuki Tupou.

Indianapolis Colts: GRADE: C+
Donald Brown is a good player but kind of a luxury pick, which isn't a knock on it because running back Joseph Addai has had some injury issues as of late. Fili Moala and Jerraud Powers were taken a little high, though. Terrance Taylor is a good pick in the fourth round because he could jump into the Colts' rotation.

Jacksonville Jaguars: GRADE: C+
I understand the Jaguars felt that offensive line was a need, but I felt picking Eben Britton that early in the second round was a reach, but not nearly as big of a reach as cornerback Derek Cox in the third round. The selections of Mike Thomas and Jarrett Dillard in the fourth and fifth rounds were good ones and I really like the seventh-round selections of Rashad Jennings and Tiquan Underwood. Honestly, the late-round selections are what saved the Jaguars' grade.

Minnesota Vikings: GRADE: C+
If they can keep wide receiver Percy Harvin focused and maximize his potential, then taking him at No. 22 could end up being a good selection. The only problem is the fact that he has some character question marks surrounding him, but there's no questioning his talent. Third-round selection Asher Allen is a good pick, inside linebacker Jasper Brinkley could be a good fit and seventh-rounder Jamarca Sanford is a good player.

Tennessee Titans: GRADE: C+
Wide receiver Kenny Britt was a good selection in the first round. Defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks was a bit overhyped, but he wasn't a bad reach at No. 62. I love the selection of tight end Jared Cook. Troy Kropog was a little bit of a reach in the fourth round, but he was a good player at Tulane.

Washington Redskins: GRADE: C+
Brian Orakpo fell into their laps and he gives them the pass-rushing presence they haven't had since Dexter Manley. Kevin Barnes is a decent third-round pick. Robert Henson is a decent late-round pick at linebacker.

Carolina Panthers: GRADE: C
They gave up next year's first-round pick to get Florida State defensive end Everette Brown, which I really don't like. Brown is a fine player and could make an impact for this team, but I believe that a first-round pick is too steep a price to pay. None of the players they selected in this draft have great potential. Sherrod Martin and Corvey Irvin have the ability to be starters in this league and running back Mike Goodson could be a situational back, but none of the Panthers' picks really stand out.

Denver Broncos: GRADE: C
Knowshon Moreno is a good running back and Robert Ayers has excellent ability. Alphonso Smith was one of my favorite defensive players to watch in college, but I don't agree with trading a future No. 1 pick for the rights to pick him. Richard Quinn was selected a little too high for a one-dimensional blocking tight end. David Bruton is an OK player and so is Seth Olsen.

New Orleans Saints: GRADE: C
First-round selection Malcolm Jenkins is a good player. Fourth-round safety Chip Vaughn is a solid player and had some great workouts. He looks great on paper, as does fellow fourth-rounder Stanley Arnoux, the inside linebacker from Wake Forest. The only player out of the four the Saints selected who will be a difference-maker is Jenkins.

St. Louis Rams: GRADE: C
If I were the Rams, I would have taken Mark Sanchez at the No. 2 spot, but I do like offensive tackle Jason Smith. Inside linebacker James Laurinaitis was a good selection in the second round. Cornerback Bradley Fletcher would've gone higher if he had better speed. There were better quarterbacks available in the sixth round, when they took Keith Null.

San Diego Chargers: GRADE: C+
The selection of linebacker Larry English at No. 16 was a little high, but he fills a potential need for them and he's a good player. Guards Louis Vasquez and Tyronne Green were good selections in the third and fourth rounds. Defensive tackle Vaughn Martin was a bit of a reach in the fourth round because he played in Canada against a lower level of competition. The late-round picks of running back Gartrell Johnson, cornerback Brandon Hughes, safety Kevin Ellison and wide receiver Demetrius Byrd were all good picks.

Kansas City Chiefs: GRADE: C-
Linebacker Tyson Jackson is a very good football player, but he was a reach at the No. 3 spot. This team focused on shoring up the defense early, and selecting defensive tackle Alex Magee in the third round will help. I do like the selection of offensive tackle Colin Brown in the fifth round, but the rest of the late-round picks didn't really do anything for me. I saw a couple of reaches in those late rounds that definitely didn't help the grade.

Miami Dolphins: GRADE: C-
Cornerback Vontae Davis is a risk/reward type of player. Pat White has to play receiver to have value where they picked him (No. 44 overall). Defensive back Sean Smith was a good second selection, but third-rounder Patrick Turner was a major reach. With the exception of safety Chris Clemons in the fifth round, the rest of the late-round picks weren't very impressive.

Dallas Cowboys: GRADE: D
The Big D gets a D this year. They didn't get a lot of top-end talent due in part to their not having a pick until the third round, but they then went out and reached on Jason Williams and Robert Brewster. Victor Butler is a decent pick, as is Brandon Williams, but I'm not enamored with any of their later picks. They got players that could help them in terms of depth, but no one who is going to really strengthen this football team.

Oakland Raiders: GRADE D
Oakland's draft was a head-scratcher. The Raiders took wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey at No. 7 even though Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin were still on the board, but the biggest reach of their draft and of the entire draft was the second-round selection of safety Michael Mitchell. This kid was thought to be a seventh-round pick at best and possibly an undrafted free agent, and the Raiders pulled the ultimate reach by taking him in the second round.

I just want to say that my issues with those two picks have nothing to do with those players. Congrats to them for getting picked and obviously having the talent to make it to the NFL. My issue is that these weren't good value picks for the organization. The Raiders could have gotten more value from the No. 7 pick and definitely more value from the No. 47 pick, and that's why I believe they made a mistake. The only reason Oakland didn't receive an F is because they did get some players.

Mel Kiper has been analyzing the NFL draft for ESPN since 1984.

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Linebacker Tyson Jackson is a very good football player, but he was a reach at the No. 3 spot. This team focused on shoring up the defense early, and selecting defensive tackle Alex Magee in the third round will help. I do like the selection of offensive tackle Colin Brown in the fifth round, but the rest of the late-round picks didn't really do anything for me. I saw a couple of reaches in those late rounds that definitely didn't help the grade.

huh?

T-post Tom
04-27-2009, 10:19 AM
FWIW, Mel's hair gave the Chiefs an "A-".

buddha
04-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Mel knows what Missouri fans know...Colin Brown is a very good football player. He is incredibly coachable, he's huge, he has better feet than you'd think, and he is a very hard worker.

Planeteers had better hope we're right and the doubters/haters are wrong on this one.

RUSH
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Tyson Jackson is a lineman, Mel.

The Franchise
04-27-2009, 10:47 AM

:spock:

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Mel knows what Missouri fans know...Colin Brown is a very good football player. He is incredibly coachable, he's huge, he has better feet than you'd think, and he is a very hard worker.

Planeteers had better hope we're right and the doubters/haters are wrong on this one.

MU fans yesterday were not high on him

Direckshun
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Only Kiper.

And I loved him sucking the Patriots' cock over drafting a long-snapper.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
"Michael Mitchell. This kid was thought to be a seventh-round pick at best and possibly an undrafted free agent, and the Raiders pulled the ultimate reach by taking him in the second round."

I like the fact that Mitchell called out Kiper yesterday.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow mel, Tyson Jackson is one Huge Linebacker LMAO

bdeg
04-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm projecting him as the ultimate run-stuffing ILB. Rey Maualuga x 100!!

who wants to mawk up a depth chart!?

melbar
04-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Live on the draft Mel said that Brown was a bit of a reach and he was supprised. So which is it? Good pick or reach?

Pablo
04-27-2009, 03:21 PM
"Michael Mitchell. This kid was thought to be a seventh-round pick at best and possibly an undrafted free agent, and the Raiders pulled the ultimate reach by taking him in the second round."

I like the fact that Mitchell called out Kiper yesterday.What did he say?

MGRS13
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
I think he summed it up when he said ".....picks didn't do anything for me." Guess what Mel you are not a GM. You are not responsible for putting a team together. I'm sorry the chiefs didn't check with you on each and every pick. Does any body really take this guy seriously any ways?

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I think he summed it up when he said ".....picks didn't do anything for me." Guess what Mel you are not a GM. You are not responsible for putting a team together. I'm sorry the chiefs didn't check with you on each and every pick. Does any body really take this guy seriously any ways?

After Mike Williams? I don't thinks so

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 07:17 PM
What did he say?

He said something to the effect of "Yeah I know Kiper said I was a 7th round pick. Anyone can watch film and make a prediction. My nine year old neice can do it. The guys who actually get paid to make these decisions felt differently."

Nightfyre
04-27-2009, 09:04 PM
If the raiders cant get an F, I know hes grading on a curve.

LaChapelle
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Do any teams pay Mel for his advise? Not even the Lions.

KCrockaholic
04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I dont like Mel, but I was the first to say on this board that I liked the pick of Brown. I even said I would have taken him over Meredith in our situation.

wazu
04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
The fact that he didn't give the Raiders an "F", means all of his other rankings have just lost meaning. Does he think "D" is the bottom of the typical grading scale?

KCChiefsMan
04-28-2009, 12:36 AM
if Mel Kiper had Jackson in the top 5 on his board everybody would be cool with the pick. But that was the most absurd draft review I have ever seen.

MoreLemonPledge
04-28-2009, 05:00 AM
I'll see you at Tyson Jackson's Hall of Fame induction.

PhillyChiefFan
04-28-2009, 05:20 AM
I watched the video on Michael Mitchell, I gotta say I'm impressed.

Don't know if he was worth the 2nd rd pick, but he is a stud.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 07:18 AM
He likes th colin brown pick? wtf

Colin Brown was watching the draft with his dad and brother marking off lineman that have been taken, so he could prepare to try and sign with a team in free agency haha

I hope he pans out for us at RT, that'd be sweet

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 07:19 AM
The fact that he didn't give the Raiders an "F", means all of his other rankings have just lost meaning. Does he think "D" is the bottom of the typical grading scale?

D for dumbshits

htismaqe
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
He likes th colin brown pick? wtf

Colin Brown was watching the draft with his dad and brother marking off lineman that have been taken, so he could prepare to try and sign with a team in free agency haha

I hope he pans out for us at RT, that'd be sweet

That was a really good interview this morning.

I gotta say, the thought of a 6'7" 340-pound monster lining up at RT does sound very intriguing.

OnTheWarpath15
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I'll see you at Tyson Jackson's Hall of Fame induction.

LMAO