PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tyson Jackson at #3 because of money?

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Did the Chiefs take Jackson because he's willing to accept less money than other players at that spot? That's the newest rumor, they're talking about it on 810 right now.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I doubt it. Belichick built his team with the DL. Parcells had Leonard Marshall.

keg in kc
04-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that was it. Especially with Curry's comments last week about how he'd play for a per diem at Arby's.

RustShack
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I think they need him because hes a major need for the defense can Curry is just a nice player to have.

Buck
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
If they wanted to pay him less money they should have let a couple teams pick ahead of them.

Realistically who would have been the next team to take him?

Basileus777
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
If that was the motivation they would have just did what Cleveland did and took a shitty deal to move back.

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
This whole angle the sports radio media likes to play about the Hunts being cheap is getting old. If this was about money we would have done anything we could to dump that pick no matter who wanted to hose us with a lowball offer...

Ebolapox
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
If they wanted to pay him less money they should have let a couple teams pick ahead of them.

supposedly the browns at number 5. that's apparently why they were willing to get f'd in the A by the jets.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
All the radio guys have been saying that the best move by the Chiefs would have been to select Sanchez and trade him to a desperate Jets club.

That idea sounds like shit, huh...

Fritz88
04-27-2009, 02:24 PM

I thought NE wanted to pick him. That's why we picked him earlier.

I really hope this turns to be a good pick. Last year we had the best guy left on the board and the best over all by many experts, yet he still needs to do a lot to prove to us that he's that good.

Ridin' with Hioli and Paley.

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 02:31 PM
All the radio guys have been saying that the best move by the Chiefs would have been to select Sanchez and trade him to a desperate Jets club.

Then the Jets can seriously sit back and lowball because they know at that point you are stuck with two QB's, no one else is taking Sanchez so there's no rush to do anything, and you have no choice but to trade one. Where does that get you? You either take a bad offer, or you are stuck with another high priced QB and haven't done jack to help the defense...

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM

Cleveland at 5.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Then the Jets can seriously sit back and lowball because they know at that point you are stuck with two QB's, no one else is taking Sanchez so there's no rush to do anything, and you have no choice but to trade one. Where does that get you? You either take a bad offer, or you are stuck with another high priced QB and haven't done jack to help the defense...

Exactly.

All signs point to the Jets, and every other team, basically counting on the Chiefs not taking Sanchez and they turned out to be right.

We had no intention of taking Sanchez, which in turn likely means we really had no intention of trading down either, because he was our leverage.

jAZ
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM

That's a good point. I think that was even mentiond on NFLN. Talk about teams sitting as the clock expires hoping to slide back by default.

I think that's a high risk move that is probably not worth taking. But its intersting.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM

We could go round and round, but having an outstanding chance of having an elite-level QB, be it Cassel or Sanchez, isn't being "stuck" in my opinion.

The Jets had a mission to get Sanchez. My guess is that we could have swapped firsts, picked up more in this draft, plus a very high pick next year (1-2). Either way, it would have been a great situation for the Chiefs.

But it didn't happen...

Tiger's Fan
04-27-2009, 02:36 PM

It sounds like shit if you don't already have a deal in place, yeah.

LOL@Madden football...

DaWolf
04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
We could go round and round, but having an outstanding chance of having an elite-level QB, be it Cassel or Sanchez, isn't being "stuck" in my opinion.

The Jets had a mission to get Sanchez. My guess is that we could have swapped firsts, picked up more in this draft, plus a very high pick next year (1-2). Either way, it would have been a great situation for the Chiefs.

But it didn't happen...

Perhaps, but I am doubtful the Jets would have given that much up, especially seeing what Cleveland got. I think if we had better overall talent on this team, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take both guys and see if Cassel could run the boat, otherwise turn it over to Sanchez. But to me, if the Chiefs had that kind of doubt about Cassel, they would never have traded for him in the first place. As fans we definitely have that doubt in our mind, and Sanchez is the hot commodity, the guy we've always wanted to draft and have be our homegrown hero, so he has that greater appeal than Cassel. But as an organization, they don't think in those terms, and I still think the Jets would have played hardball, and unless you have a second team willing to make that move (IE Washington), the Jets could just wait until after the draft if you don't take their deal and then talk next year's picks. IF Washington was willing to play ball, then you've got a conversation, but they didn't seem to have the right ammo and/or motivation either to make that move...

Micjones
04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Because surely he's going to take less than he's worth...
:rolleyes:

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Perhaps, but I am doubtful the Jets would have given that much up, especially seeing what Cleveland got. I think if we had better overall talent on this team, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take both guys and see if Cassel could run the boat, otherwise turn it over to Sanchez. But to me, if the Chiefs had that kind of doubt about Cassel, they would never have traded for him in the first place. As fans we definitely have that doubt in our mind, and Sanchez is the hot commodity, the guy we've always wanted to draft and have be our homegrown hero, so he has that greater appeal than Cassel. But as an organization, they don't think in those terms, and I still think the Jets would have played hardball, and unless you have a second team willing to make that move (IE Washington), the Jets could just wait until after the draft if you don't take their deal and then talk next year's picks. IF Washington was willing to play ball, then you've got a conversation, but they didn't seem to have the right ammo and/or motivation either to make that move...

And that's exactly right.

The rest is just pissing in the wind from the rest of us.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

But it didn't happen...

In order for the Chiefs to trade with the Jets, there had to be credible info out there that the Seahawks, or the Chiefs themselves, were ready to draft Sanchez. All reports now are that the Jets knew the Chiefs and Seahawks would never take him.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
In order for the Chiefs to trade with the Jets, there had to be credible info out there that the Seahawks, or the Chiefs themselves, were ready to draft Sanchez. All reports now are that the Jets knew the Chiefs and Seahawks would never take him.

I'm saying that actually selecting him would have been the affirmation. Now you have a desperate Jets team.

And if they call BS or don't want to pay the piper, fine. We have a great chance of having an elite player at the key position on the field. In the long run, this would be more valuable than a 3-4 DE.

It's a risk, but the reward, either in trade or on the field, would be worth it, IMO.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Because surely he's going to take less than he's worth...
:rolleyes:

I think the speculation is more that he was ready to get a deal done vs. waiting to see how the slotting set up.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm saying that actually selecting him would have been the affirmation. Now you have a desperate Jets team.

And if they call BS or don't want to pay the piper, fine. We have a great chance of having an elite player that the key position. In the long run, this would be more valuable than a 3-4 DE.

Sure, that's what you or I would have done.

But apparently Pioli never even considered it, and the whole league knew it.

Micjones
04-27-2009, 03:37 PM
I think the speculation is more that he was ready to get a deal done vs. waiting to see how the slotting set up.

That I can understand, but I think that's altogether different.

kstater
04-27-2009, 03:39 PM

And if they call BS or don't want to pay the piper, fine. We have a great chance of having an elite player at the key position on the field. In the long run, this would be more valuable than a 3-4 DE.

It's a risk, but the reward, either in trade or on the field, would be worth it, IMO.

It's not a risk/reward situation. It's a russian roulette situation. It either fails miserably or passes with a huge sigh of relief. You just can't make that pick.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Sure, that's what you or I would have done.

But apparently Pioli never even considered it, and the whole league knew it.

In fairness, we don't know what ownership was saying either.

Maybe Pioli wanted to do this but Clark was clear that he wouldn't and didn't want to be on the hook for paying two QB's. And Pioli couldn't guarantee that this wouldn't end up being the case...

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
It's not a risk/reward situation. It's a russian roulette situation. It either fails miserably or calmly passes as status quo. You just can't make that pick.

It would only fail miserably if you ended up with both QB's on your roster and BOTH end up sucking or being average at best.

But if a GM is this bad at evaluating talent, he's probably not going to be employed very long anyway.

And there's no status quo about getting a bounty in return or having our own elite QB.

htismaqe
04-27-2009, 03:49 PM
That I can understand, but I think that's altogether different.

Sure, but these rumors are awfully fluid right now.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 03:51 PM
The sad thing is, no matter how well Cassel does this year, people will be screaming Bradford or McCoy or even Tebow next year.

The grass is always greener, right?

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 03:52 PM
The sad thing is, no matter how well Cassel does this year, people will be screaming Bradford or McCoy or even Tebow next year.

For the sake of comedy, I hope so.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
For the sake of comedy, I hope so.

I'd bet money that if Cassel made the Pro Bowl this year there would be multiple discussions about trading him to Denver and drafting a new QB.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd bet money that if Cassel made the Pro Bowl this year there would be multiple discussions about trading him to Denver and drafting a new QB.

No chance.

There are a lot of people around here who are dumb, but they're not stupid.

The same people who love the draft the most are also some of the most passionate fans of the Chiefs. They want the team to do well, above everything else.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Cassel could pull an Akili Smith, and I won't be calling for any of those guys.

Promise.

This is painful to say, but hopefully it shows how serious I am:

I'd rather see Tyler Thigpen get another shot before drafting Bradford, McCoy or Tebow.

Fuck, I need a shower now.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 04:01 PM
After the rampant Sanchez jerk-off sessions that have occurred on here in the last couple of weeks, regardless of how completely improbable it was, I'm not convinced.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
After the rampant Sanchez jerk-off sessions that have occurred on here in the last couple of weeks, regardless of how completely improbable it was, I'm not convinced.

Sanchez

Bradford

McCoy

Tebow

One of these things is not like the other.

3 of these things just don't belong.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Sanchez

Bradford

McCoy

Tebow

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7403/lgpp02201fd.th.jpg

SAUTO
04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Sanchez

Bradford

McCoy

Tebow

ROFL how is this so hard to understand

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm not saying anybody's better than anybody else. I'm saying that there will be people on here arguing until they're blue in the face that we need a new QB, regardless of how well Cassel does.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM

I don't know, man.

All I know is that every time I ask someone to post that long list of spread QB's that were successful in the NFL, the place clears out like I put on a few drops of Sex Panther.

Then, a day or so later, the same people are back banging the drum for these guys.

SAUTO
04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm not saying anybody's better than anybody else. I'm saying that there will be people on here arguing until they're blue in the face that we need a new QB, regardless of how well Cassel does.

i can see that, some are more worried about being right about a player than how that player actually plays(i dont believe OTWP is one of those though he has repeatedly stated that he will eat crow and i would LOVE to see it on this subject, mainly because I feel as though cassel will be a great QB for us for the next 8-10 years)

SAUTO
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't know, man.

All I know is that every time I ask someone to post that long list of spread QB's that were successful in the NFL, the place clears out like I put on a few drops of Sex Panther.

Then, a day or so later, the same people are back banging the drum for these guys.

i got em for ya brees, roethlisberger:thumb: but i still dont like the "spread monkees):p

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-27-2009, 04:17 PM

No. That grass is not even grass. It is radiation-mutated death grass that brings death to all who come within breathing distance of it.
It is the bubonic plague of grass, and the death of any franchise dumb enough to bring it through the stadium gates.

No. See above.

Sanchez

Bradford

McCoy

Tebow

ROFLROFLROFL

Aaaaaaaaand HOW!
http://www.tvparty.com/bgifs12/spanky3.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM

No. If he shows consistently good play, and can surpass the "game manager" tag, I will be perfectly happy with him.
But he HAS TO BE BETTER THAN Green. He HAS to be better than that. That is not exceptional. I want exceptional.

Step up. BE SOMEBODY, or this is all just a waste of a pick in a year that was prime for the taking in the QB market.
Good enough is NOT good enough.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
i got em for ya brees, roethlisberger:thumb: but i still dont like the "spread monkees):p

That's my point.

TWO guys.

Out of how many?

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I think we can all agree at this point that we want Cassel to succeed, amirite?

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
No chance.

There are a lot of people around here who are dumb, but they're not stupid.

The same people who love the draft the most are also some of the most passionate fans of the Chiefs. They want the team to do well, above everything else.

this

A lot of this bickering,bitching,moaning etc. could easily be thwarted if the Chiefs get back to winning.Until then however make sure you have plenty of popcorn.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I think we can all agree at this point that we want Cassel to succeed, amirite?

I want him to excel and break some records in the process.

whatswright
04-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, I've never posted but I read your stuff pretty regularly... All the same, I thought I would let you know that tomorrow morning (Tuesday, April 28th) Tyson Jackson will be on my show.

I talked to him for about twenty minutes this afternoon and I will play it tomorrow morning at 9:35 on 610am on the radio if you're here in the KC area, or 610sports.com everywhere else.

Sorry for the first post to be of the self promoting variety, but I try not to post on these too often.

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey guys, I've never posted but I read your stuff pretty regularly... All the same, I thought I would let you know that tomorrow morning (Tuesday, April 28th) Tyson Jackson will be on my show.

I talked to him for about twenty minutes this afternoon and I will play it tomorrow morning at 9:35 on 610am on the radio if you're here in the KC area, or 610sports.com everywhere else.

Sorry for the first post to be of the self promoting variety, but I try not to post on these too often.

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

Huge fan, Nick. Welcome to the board!

Mojo Jojo
04-27-2009, 04:39 PM

That would have been the best move. Both the Jets and the Bucs knew the Chiefs weren't going that way, so there was no reason to call and deal. If the Chiefs take Sanchez then many draft boards are screwed, and teams will start calling for rights for Sanchez or Cassel. That would give the Chiefs the upper hand. Remember everything the Chargers received by drafting a guy they couldn't sign. Even go back to the Colts-Elway selection. Grab the commodity and then deal.

the Talking Can
04-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

rebuilding, get over it

HemiEd
04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Did the Chiefs take Jackson because he's willing to accept less money than other players at that spot? That's the newest rumor, they're talking about it on 810 right now.

I don't buy any of these conspiricy theorys any more. Having had some time to process all the information at hand, I think Pioli is building the way he knows how to build, and he wanted these pieces as his foundation, simple really.

wild1
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think there is anyone the Chiefs wanted more in the top 10 than him, they were targeting him from the start, and if they save money it's just a benefit.

If they were just out to save money, they could have taken a trade offer, below market may it have been, and saved money in addition to getting more picks. Say they take exactly what Cleveland got, and the Jets move into #3 instead. That would save a lot of money.

So why didn't they? Because they were afraid their guy would be gone. It seems pretty simple to me.

KcMizzou
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadioSTFU, n00b.

Welcome aboard. :)

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

No offense, but I've never heard your show.

610 used to put on the most putrid lineup in the afternoon with Neal and Marty. I'd imagine that if you use their old routine as your Seinfeld moment--look at it and do everything exactly opposite--you probably will do (or do do111) well.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 05:01 PM

610 used to put on the most putrid lineup in the afternoon with Neal and Marty. I'd imagine that if you use their old routine as your Seinfeld moment--look at it and do everything exactly opposite--you probably will do (or do do111) well.

You should check it out. It's really the only thing worth listening to on KC radio. He actually has good takes and gives reasoning behind them, not just pointless drivel.

SAUTO
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

thanks for the update!!!

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

So what's it like getting paid to sit around and do pretty much what we do everyday for free? :D

Seriously welcome aboard

KcMizzou
04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
You should check it out. It's really the only thing worth listening to on KC radio. He actually has good takes and gives reasoning behind them, not just pointless drivel.I like St. John's show too.

SAUTO
04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
That's my point.

TWO guys.

Out of how many?

i have no idea, but it's not good:p

Nzoner
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM

It's worth a listen,glad it's on in the a.m. now

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
You should check it out. It's really the only thing worth listening to on KC radio. He actually has good takes and gives reasoning behind them, not just pointless drivel.

I like Petro.

And the 810 morning show is usually pretty entertaining. I agree with KcMizzou here.

DeezNutz
04-27-2009, 05:05 PM
It's worth a listen,glad it's on in the a.m. now

I'll give it a shot.

MoreLemonPledge
04-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I like Petro.

And the 810 morning show is usually pretty entertaining. I agree with KcMizzou here.

Petro's decent, I'll give you that.

Mojo Jojo
04-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

Hey Nick...I hope 610 succeeds because I hate the attitude at 810. However, you don't belong in the slot you have...you were lucky to have the evening time. Your time on the 980 morning show with EJ and Ellen last Friday was a joke. It showed how poor sports radio is being done in this city.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Cleveland, well, at least that is what I think. Supposedly, the traded down because he wasn't there.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks,

Nick Wright
WhatsWright
610 SportsRadio

We would love for you to post here regularly. we need more real insight!