PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Michael Bay Afraid To Offend Leonard Nimoy With ‘Transformers’ Family Reunion Offer

Tribal Warfare
04-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Michael Bay Afraid To Offend Leonard Nimoy With ‘Transformers’ Family Reunion Offer (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/04/21/michael-bay-afraid-to-offend-leonard-nimoy-with-transformers-family-reunion-offer/)
Published by Larry Carroll on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 at 5:04 pm.

Leonard NimoyOver the last few weeks, “Transformers” director Michael Bay has spent a considerable amount of time telling us about his favorite Earth-invading robots, and even revealed the Transformer he hated so much that he decided to kill it. But these days, he’s wrestling with the final touch: Who will voice his new “Transformers” robots, and will a “Star Trek” legend be amongst them?

“I’m still not done with all the voices,” Bay explained to us recently when we brought up “Revenge of the Fallen” robot casting for the film, which hits theaters on June 24th.

As loyal fans of the robots-in-disguise remember, Mr. Spock himself - Leonard Nimoy - was the voice of characters like Galvatron in the 1986 cartoon “Transformers: The Movie.” And “Revenge” writer Roberto Orci has said that he’d like to see Nimoy return for the summer blockbuster. Further clouding the issue, however, is the fact that Bay and Nimoy are…related?

You might think that their familial ties would make such a deal easier; Bay, however, told us it’s quite the opposite.

“You know, he’s related to me,” laughed Bay. “And now that you are filming this, maybe you can send it to him.”

“[Nimoy] is married to Susan Bay, who’s a cousin to me,” Michael explained, saying that he’s afraid of insulting his relative with the mere pittance allotted to pay his voice actors. “I just feel kind of bad about asking him. Like ‘I can’t pay you that much? But would you do this voice?’”

So Michael hasn’t worked up the nerve yet to ask his famous cousin – who appears in next month’s “Star Trek” – to lend him his vocal talents. Instead, the pair have been using a third relative as a go-between.

“Would he do it?” Bay asked. “He suggested to my mom that he might do it.”

Which new “Transformers” character would you like to hear Nimoy performing the voice of?