PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tony Gonzalez Farewell PC

Dartgod
04-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Didn't see this posted yet.

Tony G is holding a PC today at 11:00 AM to say goodbye and thanks to fans. It's closed to the public, but I assume 810 will be covering it.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Ahh...kinda cool, too bad i'll miss it being at work damnit.

Someone post a transcript

SBK
04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
I heard him on the sports radio channel here in Atlanta, "Hey, this is Tony Gonzalez, you're listening to 680 The Fan."

Strange....

DMAC
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Saying goodbye to the fans...and the fans arent invited.

DaWolf
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Good to hear. I look forward to the ceremony at Arrowhead commemorating his HOF career down the road, and the trip to Canton. Good luck Gonzo!

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 08:51 AM
It will definetly be strange seeing him in an ATL jersey...but they may be my NFC team this year to root for

Bweb
04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Well......bye!

Frazod
04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Saying goodbye to the fans...and the fans arent invited.

I'll take PR Lip Service Move Suggested By My Agent for $1,000, Alex.

Mr. Plow
04-28-2009, 08:53 AM
It will definetly be strange seeing him in an ATL jersey...but they may be my NFC team this year to root for

I've never hated Atlanta......so, they'll be my NFC team until he retires.

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Being a fan 101. First Lesson today folks:

Any player that talks about NOT being with the Chiefs and their extremly loyal fan base, abandons the Chiefs, leaves the Chiefs for own selfish reasons, doesn't want to play for the Chiefs anymore, or would rather play for a team that isn't named Chiefs will be known as a traitor, and any time they spend with other team and all further achievments and plays with their new stupid team will result in an eyeroll followed by dissapointment and anger. Thank you now carry on.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
What i want to know is will there still be Baja Fresh commercials?

beach tribe
04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I hope the Falcons suck ass. Tony is gone. I don't care if he has success or not. Actually, I hope he gets the Jason Taylor treatment. But the biggest thing for me, is I want that 2nd to be as high as possible. Fock the Falcons.

boogblaster
04-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Bye Gonzo .. F*ck da Byrds ..

Christofire
04-28-2009, 09:29 AM

At least he'll still be wearing red and white.

MVChiefFan
04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
I hope the Falcons suck ass. Tony is gone. I don't care if he has success or not. Actually, I hope he gets the Jason Taylor treatment. But the biggest thing for me, is I want that 2nd to be as high as possible. Fock the Falcons.

:thumb: I think it would be absolutely hilarious if we finished with a better record. Wishful thinking, I know, but hilarious nonetheless.

Psyko Tek
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I m gonna miss him
was my favorite current chief
I wish him the best .....
btu yeah I fgot alittle of the hoping atlanta sucks and KC kicks as vibe going

Psyko Tek
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I m gonna miss him
was my favorite current chief
I wish him the best .....
btu yeah I fgot alittle of the hoping atlanta sucks and KC kicks as vibe going

vailpass
04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Don't think of it as losing a HOF tight end
think of it as gaining another former player who moved on for a chance at a SB

The Bad Guy
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Hilarious that one of the most fan unfriendly players wants to have a "fans PC" where fans aren't invited.

Dartgod
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
810 not carrying it live

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Hilarious that one of the most fan unfriendly players wants to have a "fans PC" where fans aren't invited.

Gonzo was always cool to me, got an autograph and he took a picture with my mom. Does he not like talking or signing stuff for fans?

Dartgod
And Rome is on 610. Oh well...

Sure-Oz
810 not carrying it live

He's a falcon, fuck em/810 radio

HemiEd
04-28-2009, 10:12 AM
It will definetly be strange seeing him in an ATL jersey...but they may be my NFC team this year to root against

FYP, think draft order

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
FYP, think draft order

Very true, fuck gonzo and the falcs!

The Bad Guy
04-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Gonzo was always cool to me, got an autograph and he took a picture with my mom. Does he not like talking or signing stuff for fans?

I saw him 3 different times have a serious attitude with people.

LaChapelle
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I've never heard of this before. Hunt told him he's going on the ring. He's feeling a little remorse/guilt/not sure what you'd call it.

InChiefsHeaven
04-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I've never heard of this before. Hunt told him he's going on the ring. He's feeling a little remorse/guilt/not sure what you'd call it.

What do you mean, going on the ring?

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2009, 10:28 AM
He is a Falcon. He should be in Atlanta.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I saw him 3 different times have a serious attitude with people.

I guess we caught him on a good day then.

HemiEd
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
I've never heard of this before. Hunt told him he's going on the ring. He's feeling a little remorse/guilt/not sure what you'd call it. I would guess some of both.

Frazod
04-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I guess we caught him on a good day then.

Most of the stories I've heard have been negative, but there are a few positives here and there.

While it must be difficult to be continually nice to gushing strangers who think they know you just because they're wearing a shirt with your name on it, it seems he's nasty more often than not. Personally I've never met him, so I don't really care. But I don't think he even gives half a shit about Kansas City or any of us fans. IMO, this is all image-polishing crap.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Most of the stories I've heard have been negative, but there are a few positives here and there.

While it must be difficult to be continually nice to gushing strangers who think they know you just because they're wearing a shirt with your name on it, it seems he's nasty more often than not. Personally I've never met him, so I don't really care. But I don't think he even gives half a shit about Kansas City or any of us fans. IMO, this is all image-polishing crap.

That sucks, i didn't realize he was a dick like that, must be the diva thing!

InChiefsHeaven
04-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Jeez. If TG doesn't throw himself at fans every time he's in public, he's a dick...

...I knew a girl who ran into Derick Thomas back in about '97 and said he was the biggest asshole in the world...but I had always heard the opposite...

Tony is a good guy, he's done a ton for the community. He's a little weird with the whole Vegan\commitment ceremony thing, but he's not a bad person.

Methinks people are just trying to find ways to make it easier to hate him since he's leaving.

The Bad Guy
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Jeez. If TG doesn't throw himself at fans every time he's in public, he's a dick...

...I knew a girl who ran into Derick Thomas back in about '97 and said he was the biggest asshole in the world...but I had always heard the opposite...

Tony is a good guy, he's done a ton for the community. He's a little weird with the whole Vegan\commitment ceremony thing, but he's not a bad person.

Methinks people are just trying to find ways to make it easier to hate him since he's leaving.

I posted about the incident I witnessed with Gonzalez over 4 years ago. I don't need to find ways not to like Gonzalez. I disliked the person he was when he was a Chief.

The people he wasn't nice to were 3 little kids who had his jersey on at training camp. Vermeil was out mingling with fans. Roaf was out, Trent Green was out signing. Then there was Tony, who couldn't be bothered with a group of little kids that he had to yell at them that he wouldn't give them an autograph. Sorry, but he's a dick.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I posted about the incident I witnessed with Gonzalez over 4 years ago. I don't need to find ways not to like Gonzalez. I disliked the person he was when he was a Chief.

The people he wasn't nice to were 3 little kids who had his jersey on at training camp. Vermeil was out mingling with fans. Roaf was out, Trent Green was out signing. Then there was Tony, who couldn't be bothered with a group of little kids that he had to yell at them that he wouldn't give them an autograph. Sorry, but he's a dick.

That's pretty shitty, he could've done that. It's different for older fans that probably would sell his autograph anyway!

The Bad Guy
04-28-2009, 11:02 AM
That's pretty shitty, he could've done that. It's different for older fans that probably would sell his autograph anyway!

I don't care if athletes don't sign for adults. However, when you don't sign for a kid, that's fucking bullshit.

Radar Chief
04-28-2009, 11:02 AM

You’re actually the first person I’ve heard from that ran into him and he didn’t act like a total douche.

Frazod
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
There was also the hot microphone incident where the studio audience at some local talk show heard him bitch and moan about having to make nice with the little people. Oops.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
You’re actually the first person I’ve heard from that ran into him and he didn’t act like a total douche.

Maybe it was cause my mom was with me and she's this 4 foot tall pakistani lady, who has the kindest face. He was very friendly, probably cause of her. I still remember when i saw len dawson in the denver hotel we were stayin at last year and he held the door for my gf and I and then he ran away from me cuz i recognized him, but waved haha. Probably thought i was a donkey fan. the chiefs stayed at that hotel too and we talked to turk and got pics of us and jared allen. Gotta love the gf for finding out what hotel they were at.:thumb:

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't care if athletes don't sign for adults. However, when you don't sign for a kid, that's ****ing bullshit.

Agreed, how the hell can you not take a few min for some kids

Frazod
04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
OTOH, I've never heard anything positive about George Brett, either. I've heard everything from mean to obnoxious to stinky.

I guess it doesn't really matter, though, as long as they play well. At least George didn't end his career with the fucking Braves.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 11:10 AM
OTOH, I've never heard anything positive about George Brett, either. I've heard everything from mean to obnoxious to stinky.

I guess it doesn't really matter, though, as long as they play well. At least George didn't end his career with the ****ing Braves.

My gfs dad met him and he was drunk as hell, funny too

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2009, 11:10 AM

Yup. Great player, but meeting him in person certainly takes the luster off.

Deberg_1990
04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Who cares what these guys act like off the field? Honestly...

Most of our sports heros are probably A-holes. But you know what? Its not like im ever gonna hang out and drink beer with them on the weekends, so what does it matter?

As long as they put up numbers on the field is all i care about. So long Tony, thanks for the memories.....

TEX
04-28-2009, 11:16 AM

He was cool to me when I met him. I met him in Houston before the home opener for the Texans in '03. He was in the bar at the team hotel (The Omni on the Park). He was just talking to a few folks as well as Len Dawson and was very nice to me and a few friends who were sitting on the couch across from him. He signed autographs and took pictures with all of us as did Dawson - probably because we were all from Houton but were all Chief fans. He was there for several hours, met some girl, she left but he stayed. Anyway, it was a very positive experience. I have heard stories about him being a dick though.

The only real dick that night was Priest Holmes - but he was with his family so I can understand.

vailpass
04-28-2009, 11:17 AM

Most of our sports heros are probably A-holes. But you know what? Its not like im ever gonna hang out and drink beer with them on the weekends, so what does it matter?

As long as they put up numbers on the field is all i care about. So long Tony, thanks for the memories.....

I'm the opposite. If a player is a likeable person but not the greatest player I can root for him. If a player comes across as an a-hole I can't root for him no matter how good he may be.

Deberg_1990
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
If a player comes across as an a-hole I can't root for him no matter how good he may be.

If they are wearing my teams colors, Ill root for them to perform when they are out on the field no matter what.

Do you think Cowboys fans ever loved T.O. ? But they loved every single TD he scored.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Why? We need them to go 0-16 so we can get pick 33 rather than pick 64.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM

I've changed my stance, didnt think about the pick ;)

SAUTO
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM

I guess it doesn't really matter, though, as long as they play well. At least George didn't end his career with the fucking Braves.

a couple of years ago we played the chargers on christmas eve, we went and sat right in front of brett's box, it was cold, he sat outside in the seats THE WHOLE game. drinking and was VERY nice to us bullshitting around and all.

Coogs
04-28-2009, 11:46 AM

:thumb:

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Who is Matt Ryan's backup? They may be a QB away from packing it all in. Too bad Herm Edwards isn't Atlanta's coach, THAT would be awesome!

KcFanInGA
04-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Gonzo is coming to play for the team in my city. Why am I not happy? Gonzo was one of the greats here, but its the Chiefs I love. Good luck Tony!

Goldmember
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Didn't see this posted yet.

Tony G is holding a PC today at 11:00 AM to say goodbye and thanks to fans. It's closed to the public, but I assume 810 will be covering it.

Here's the link - http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1166858.html

KCChiefsMan
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM

ya me too, an additional top 10 in the 2nd would be great next year

Demonpenz
04-28-2009, 12:16 PM

you're mom is probably hot

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
you're mom is probably hot

She is. :D

Frazod
04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
a couple of years ago we played the chargers on christmas eve, we went and sat right in front of brett's box, it was cold, he sat outside in the seats THE WHOLE game. drinking and was VERY nice to us bullshitting around and all.

Most of the bad stuff I heard about Brett was from when he was still playing.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Most of the bad stuff I heard about Brett was from when he was still playing.

I always heard he was a pretty cool to other guys who were out partying, but a lot of single women in KC weren't too fond of him...

the next morning.

The Bad Guy
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM

I care. I care how they act to the little kids that idolize them. If you're wearing a Tony Gonzalez jersey at a young age, and he's a dick to you, that should matter.

Willie Roaf was a stud player too, but he also took the time at 10:30 at night to sign for every little kid that wanted an autograph. That's a true professional, and not some "do it for the camera's" hero like Gonzalez always came across as.

Al Czervik
04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Tony will always be a class act....
I wish him the best in ATL and hope he helps them
win a SB. He definately deserves it.

Thanks for everything TONY G....

kcxiv
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I remember when i was a kid i went to the A's game and after tried to get some autographs. The real dick on the 89 Oakland A's was Mark McGwire. The coolest son of a bitch on that team was you guessed it Jose Canseco. Dude hung out with his wife after the game and gave every single person there a signed postcard of him. He sat around for like an hour and a half and talked with the fans.

I am a Dodger fan, but when your 13 years old, thats cool as shit. I didnt hate on Mark, he was a good player, but he was a dick. lol

unothadeal
04-28-2009, 12:26 PM
I bet Jared Allen's a cool person.

InChiefsHeaven
04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I bet Jared Allen's a cool person.

And Boomer Grigsby too. Don't forget Boomer...

KCChiefsMan
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be "Hi, I'm Tony Gonzalez and I'm a PC"

MikeMaslowski
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I was at a football camp when I was a kid and Marcus Allen was the star of the show. During the day, I had went up to him with a football card and he signed it and I told him how big of a fan I was and yadda yadda... Seemed cool, then I saw a kid bring a football up to him and he signed it. "Wow, what a great idea," I thought. So that night I gathered up all of my allowance and bought a brand new football before attending the award presentation. After the ceremony I went up to him with the ball and said "Mr. Allen, could you sign this for me?" He said, "Didn't I sign something for you earlier?" I said, "Yes sir but I just wanted to see if....." and he cut me off.... "Kid I gotta sign alot of autographs." Then he walked away. I was fugging devestated....

On a side note: My brother worked at a golf course in Cali and was asked by one of Allens buddies to get some cocaine for them....he obliged.

Didn't the Bible say something about false idols?.... They are just football players but it is very nice to actually see some of them doing good in the community and being nice, not just pretending.

InChiefsHeaven
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Joe Montana was signing autographs up here in Omaha back in 93 or so. He was only allowed to sign stuff from Hanes since they were sponsoring the trip. Well, my wife's aunt didn't know this and brought a football and a jersey for him to sign, but he politely refused saying he can't. There were a bunch of kids in line and they all had other crap for him to sign. He was only supposed to be there for like 2 hours so he just had to say no.

...but before he left, he was getting on the bus waving goodbye to the crowd and some little kid ran up to him with a football...(probably some adult made him do it.) He kind of looked around, smiled and signed it real quick for the kid and then hopped on the bus.

Joe was pretty cool.

MMXcalibur
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Good luck, Tony. I'll be moving my obligatory "NFC underdog team I hope exceeds expectations" from Arizona to Atlanta in hopes that Gonzo finally gets his ring.

.....but I would laugh a hearty laugh if Kansas City ended up being closer to the playoffs/Super Bowl this season than Atlanta (Fat chance.)

Deberg_1990
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Says he will retire a Chief...

http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/1166858.html

Tony Gonzalez said goodbye to Kansas City on Tuesday, but the legendary tight end said he’s merely on loan to the Atlanta Falcons.

The 10-time Pro Bowler met with reporters Tuesday morning in the revolving restaurant at the top of the Hyatt Regency Crown Center, saying that he might be going to Atlanta now after last week’s trade, but Gonzalez insisted that he’ll someday retire as a Chief.

Gonzalez was traded to the Falcons last Thursday for a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft. It ended the 33-year-old’s 12-year affiliation with Kansas City, which traded up to draft him as a 21-year-old in 1997. He has since broken every major tight end receiving record, and former Chiefs president Carl Peterson on Tuesday said Gonzalez was undoubtedly the best to ever play his position.

Gonzalez said he planned to play two or three years in Atlanta as he continues to search for playoff success. He said the pursuit of a Super Bowl championship is “everything” to him now, but he said that at the end of his career, he planned to re-sign with the Chiefs for as little as one day, just so he can retire with the team that drafted him.

Gonzalez also said there was no doubt he’d enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a Chiefs player, regardless of what happens with the Falcons.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 02:06 PM

I don't expect pro atheletes on my favorite teams to be perfect, but I find it hard to root for someone I think is an asshole. This is why if LJ comes back this year and is somehow tearing up defenses, sure I'll be happy the Chiefs are successful, but it will be tarnished cause I'm not rooting for the player as well. It's why I liked watching Priest more. Not only was he outstanding, but he carried himself well and was a role model for kids. (From what I've heard and seen.)

MoreLemonPledge
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
When I retire I'm going to sign a one day contract with the Chiefs. Hell, I'll do it for no signing bonus. Then I can tell everybody that I retired as a Chief.

Frankie
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
When I retire I'm going to sign a one day contract with the Chiefs. Hell, I'll do it for no signing bonus. Then I can tell everybody that I retired as a Chief.

Are you quoting or just making it up?

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Says he will retire a Chief...

http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/1166858.html

Tony Gonzalez said goodbye to Kansas City on Tuesday, but the legendary tight end said he’s merely on loan to the Atlanta Falcons.

The 10-time Pro Bowler met with reporters Tuesday morning in the revolving restaurant at the top of the Hyatt Regency Crown Center, saying that he might be going to Atlanta now after last week’s trade, but Gonzalez insisted that he’ll someday retire as a Chief.

Gonzalez was traded to the Falcons last Thursday for a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL draft. It ended the 33-year-old’s 12-year affiliation with Kansas City, which traded up to draft him as a 21-year-old in 1997. He has since broken every major tight end receiving record, and former Chiefs president Carl Peterson on Tuesday said Gonzalez was undoubtedly the best to ever play his position.

Gonzalez said he planned to play two or three years in Atlanta as he continues to search for playoff success. He said the pursuit of a Super Bowl championship is “everything” to him now, but he said that at the end of his career, he planned to re-sign with the Chiefs for as little as one day, just so he can retire with the team that drafted him.

Gonzalez also said there was no doubt he’d enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a Chiefs player, regardless of what happens with the Falcons.

I figured this was the case but I'm glad he announced it.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2009, 02:27 PM

You're right about that. The only reason he signed shit for me is because Mike Stock saw I was crushed when he just walked past me. Him and Warren Moon pretty much drug his ass off the bus. I never begrudged the guy for it, I could only imagine what it's like being hounded everywhere you go, but I never ever looked at the guy and said "There's someone who appreciates their fans." It's always been about image for him. Good luck in Atlanta, but not next year.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
I've changed my stance, didnt think about the pick ;)

My bad, as you can see I'm moving slowly in this thread.

Chiefnj2
04-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Bad Guy nailed it - a press conference to say goodbye and thanks to the fans, but it is closed to the fans.

MiDW3sT
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Still can't make my own topic, but Gonzo said after he plays his 2-3 years in Atlanta, he wants to be traded back to KC for at least one day so he can retire in the same team he begun with. Kinda liked hearing this for his loyalty, but at same time not really.

Dartgod
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
He may have occasionally been an asshole to fans, but he worked his ass off to be as good as he possibly could be. He didn't get into trouble with the law, father a bunch of illegitimate children, wasn't spitting drinks in chic's faces or running around packing heat. I'll take that as a role model over some gangster wannabe every day.

So he didn't sign a few autographs. Big fuggin' deal.

Dartgod
04-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Bad Guy nailed it - a press conference to say goodbye and thanks to the fans, but it is closed to the fans.
Who cares. Not like I was gonna go anyway. I'll watch it on TV.

MoreLemonPledge
04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Are you quoting or just making it up?

Not quoting. I really want to do this. My kids would be proud to say that their dad retired a Chief.

MOhillbilly
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM

I guess it doesn't really matter, though, as long as they play well. At least George didn't end his career with the ****ing Braves.

Ive always heard DT was a complete dick when out on the town.

Frankie
04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Not quoting. I really want to do this. My kids would be proud to say that their dad retired a Chief.

No need to get pissy. But since you are relatively new here I tell you that line matched a lot of the "humor" displayed on the CP. So I wasn't sure if it was someone being funny or an actual quote.

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Ive always heard DT was a complete dick when out on the town.

What? No way. I am a 5'8 white boy, and DT treated me like an old friend, had me over to his house a few times. Spent Halloween at his house one year, everytime there was a kid at the door he would go spend time and give the kid candy and an autographed football card or sign when someone brought a football or whatever in their costumes. From everything I saw, he truly loved helping people.

dirk digler
04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Every Chief fan favorite person

http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=3935957&item_index=&genre_id=00000841

Marcellus
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
What? No way. I am a 5'8 white boy, and DT treated me like an old friend, had me over to his house a few times. Spent Halloween at his house one year, everytime there was a kid at the door he would go spend time and give the kid candy and an autographed football card or sign when someone brought a football or whatever in their costumes. From everything I saw, he truly loved helping people.

My sister was good friends with Will Shields wife and actually lived and nannied for them for about 2 years. She went to the PB with them one year and hung out with them and their friends all the time. She still talks to his wife all the time. They met while his wife was going to grad classes in KC and my sister was in some of the same classes.

Anyway, she met and was around DT many times and is totally convinced he was a 1st class asshole.

Maybe he had multiple personalities.

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
you say this was a she? He did have a thing for the ladies. I think I know how this story goes.

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Neil Smith was kind of an ass to me once, but no real biggie because he did the unforgivable and went to Denver

stlchiefs
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I didnt hate on Mark, he was a good player, but he was a dick. lol

I have a good friend who is a HUGE Cards fan and was a ball boy for a number of years while McGwire was there. Even he says Mark was one of the biggest dicks he has ever met and was very often rude to pretty much everyone.

KCrockaholic
04-28-2009, 11:16 PM

I agree. I said this same thing the day he got traded and people thought it was dumb that I was going to root for the Falcons in the NFC. Whatever, I dont care.

greg63
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the memories Tony!

J Diddy
04-29-2009, 01:59 AM
My sister was good friends with Will Shields wife and actually lived and nannied for them for about 2 years. She went to the PB with them one year and hung out with them and their friends all the time. She still talks to his wife all the time. They met while his wife was going to grad classes in KC and my sister was in some of the same classes.

Anyway, she met and was around DT many times and is totally convinced he was a 1st class asshole.

I often wonder when someone thinks a famous person is an asshole because they won't bend over backwards for every him/her off the street who comes up pestering them how'd they act in the same shoes. Think telemarketers, but worse.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2009, 04:02 AM
http://j.photos.cx/thosearemyshoes-233.jpg

MoreLemonPledge
04-29-2009, 04:28 AM
No need to get pissy. But since you are relatively new here I tell you that line matched a lot of the "humor" displayed on the CP. So I wasn't sure if it was someone being funny or an actual quote.

I'm not getting pissy. Sorry if it came out that way. I meant it as a joke.

I really want to be enshrined in the Ring of Honor.

MoreLemonPledge
04-29-2009, 04:28 AM
http://j.photos.cx/thosearemyshoes-233.jpg

I actually LOLed at this. It is awesome.

DenverChief
04-29-2009, 04:42 AM
He may have occasionally been an asshole to fans, but he worked his ass off to be as good as he possibly could be. He didn't get into trouble with the law, father a bunch of illegitimate children, wasn't spitting drinks in chic's faces or running around packing heat. I'll take that as a role model over some gangster wannabe every day.

So he didn't sign a few autographs. Big fuggin' deal.

bingo!

mikey23545
04-29-2009, 05:36 AM
I care. I care how they act to the little kids that idolize them. If you're wearing a Tony Gonzalez jersey at a young age, and he's a dick to you, that should matter.

Willie Roaf was a stud player too, but he also took the time at 10:30 at night to sign for every little kid that wanted an autograph. That's a true professional, and not some "do it for the camera's" hero like Gonzalez always came across as.

We don't always think alike, but when we do, it's like you're reading my mind.

I hope the Falcons go 0-16 every year for the next 10 years.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Anyone actually hear the PC? Basically said at the beginning its not about the records and numbers anymore and about winning now and how he'll do anything for atl even if he doesn't catch 90 balls and have 10 tds he'll be ok. Came off pretty selfish esp at the beginning of the PC...

Kinda funny how it was more about the numbers and records while he was with us currently...it sounded weird, and bad at first but he recovered at the end of the PC.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 08:05 AM

Ive not only heard, but known for a fact that DT was not an asshole. Atleast not to the extent of George Brett. My Grandmother was the spokesperson for MADD and Derrick and her were great friends. Derrick was always with her to support her during pep rallies and such and always treated everyone with respect. He really liked my grandmother, and let me be as un-biased as possible. She was one of the best ladies that anyone ever got to know.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Anyone actually hear the PC? Basically said at the beginning its not about the records and numbers anymore and about winning now and how he'll do anything for atl even if he doesn't catch 90 balls and have 10 tds he'll be ok. Came off pretty selfish esp at the beginning of the PC...

Kinda funny how it was more about the numbers and records while he was with us currently...it sounded weird, and bad at first but he recovered at the end of the PC.

Does anyone have a transcript, or a recording of the PC? I havent gotten to hear or read any of it yet.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Also 810 they were playing it yesterday and believe pioli and co. thought gonzo was one of those selfish guys and then re-played how he got poed he didnt set the record at home and how he was pissed for over a week about it.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Also 810 they were playing it yesterday and believe pioli and co. thought gonzo was one of those selfish guys and then re-played how he got poed he didnt set the record at home and how he was pissed for over a week about it.

I hate to say it, but arent all great receivers/TE's selfish? hmm. Shannon Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, TO, K1 and K2. Tony just fit in i guess.

ForeverChiefs58
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
There are those that wish him well, that is great. You might wish a woman well after you catch her sleeping wish your best friend also. I don't feel that way at all. I think he is an unbelievably selfish prick! The Chiefs reinvented throwing the ball so many times to a TE and giving him all those records all when it was important to him. Now, our team and new QB could really use his help. He told Atlanta he plans on playing 3-4 more years. We should be in playoffs in the next two seasons, and making a SB run ourselves by then!

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 08:31 AM
I still would like Tony to get a ring before it's said and done so Shannon Sharpe can STFU since he thinks he's a superior TE cause he has one.

CoMoChief
04-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Neil Smith was kind of an ass to me once, but no real biggie because he did the unforgivable and went to Denver

I've seen Neil Smith out in public all the time, grocery store, gas station.

He definately uses the "you know who I am" card. He's a fuckin prick

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
I still would like Tony to get a ring before it's said and done so Shannon Sharpe can STFU since he thinks he's a superior TE cause he has one.

The sad thing is that he has 3. Tony will never have 3.

CoMoChief
04-29-2009, 08:39 AM
There are those that wish him well, that is great. You might wish a woman well after you catch her sleeping wish your best friend also. I don't feel that way at all. I think he is an unbelievably selfish prick! The Chiefs reinvented throwing the ball so many times to a TE and giving him all those records all when it was important to him. Now, our team and new QB could really use his help. He told Atlanta he plans on playing 3-4 more years. We should be in playoffs in the next two seasons, and making a SB run ourselves by then!

Tony G will not play for 3-4 more years. Bank on it.

KCrockaholic
04-29-2009, 08:45 AM

He may be selfish to an extent but I will always look at him as a very respectable person. I mean, you cant say Trent Green isnt any less selfish than Tony if were going to discuss this. Trent pouted and acted like a baby when he found out he would have to earn the starting job after going full retard when he had his concussion. I still like Trent to this day, but at the time I hated his guts because he was acting like such a douche, yet at the same time I didnt blame him. I know he hated Carl Peterson for the way we treated him before he left. But he didnt need to act like that either. Tony always showed as much class as he could while he was here. Sometimes I didnt blame him for wanting out. He has never won a playoff game because our management didnt know how to build a f***ing defense. in 03 we should have won the SB, but that POS defense failed again. It wasnt the offense's fault, or Tony's. The defense has sucked the entire time he's been here besides 97.

Sure-Oz
04-29-2009, 09:03 AM

I'm sure sharpe will never shutup, even when he's dead we'll still hear him

InChiefsHeaven
04-30-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm sure sharpe will never shutup, even when he's dead we'll still hear him

Thith ith THannon Tharpe, talkin' atcha from beyond the grave beotch!

htismaqe
04-30-2009, 08:45 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say Tony won't ever have ONE.

Cormac
04-30-2009, 09:44 AM
If I was arguably the best player ever at my position, played in arguably the best stadium, kept myself in unbelievable physical condition, worked on my hands when that was required, worked on my blocking when that was required and was an all-around good guy as often as possible......and had ZERO playoff wins to show for 12 years of extreme effort:

Sure as hell I would demand some respect and some answers and, if necessary, I would feel like it was time to move on too.