PDA

View Full Version : Football Illegal formations: should they exist?

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Spinning off from the A-11 highschool football thread I figured I'd boil it down to a more fundamental discussion. Do you guys think that there should be rules in place to control formations or do you think that innovation on both sides of the ball should be allowed to flourish unimpeded. I can see pluses for both.

I'm especially interested to see what some of the real "X's and O's" guys on here think.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I have a feeling I'm getting a silent REPOST here. If this debate has been done to death, my apologies. :)

jidar
04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Well it's a broad brush.
I thikn a lot of people probably believe that some illegal formation shouldn't be illegal, but some should be.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Well it's a broad brush.
I thikn a lot of people probably believe that some illegal formation shouldn't be illegal, but some should be.

Well sure, but I get the feeling that there are those who want them all to be legal. I would lump people who want to keep some in with those who want to keep all for the purpose of this debate.

MoreLemonPledge
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
As a fan, and from an official's standpoint, you would really have no clue what was going on unless they had some structure.

Mr. Krab
04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Yes, they should imo. The offense already has tons of advantages. Could you imagine if every player could go out for a pass? I mean with no illegal formation, every Olineman would report as eligible on every down. Defensive lineman couldn't rush the passer until they made sure that the offensive lineman wasn't going out for a pass.

Chaos, game scores would be higher than Arena League games because there would be so much space for teams in which to work.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
As a fan, and from an official's standpoint, you would really have no clue what was going on unless they had some structure.

Could be. But a lot of the most exciting plays in football are when teams break convention. (Bradley's pass to Thigpen for example.) Opening up receiver eligibilty and such would create more opportunity for this.

Playing a little devil's advocate here, since I do think there needs to be some restrictions on formation.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes, they should imo. The offense already has tons of advantages. Could you imagine if every player could go out for a pass? I mean with no illegal formation, every Olineman would report as eligible on every down. Defensive lineman couldn't rush the passer until they made sure that the offensive lineman wasn't going out for a pass.

Chaos, game scores would be higher than Arena League games because there would be so much space for teams in which to work.

Offense might have some advantages, but that wouldn't affect the competitive balance between teams.

Buehler445
04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I think the rules are good. The one I might do away with is ineligible receiver. Especially as pass rushers get more effective.

But I don't think it is wise to have a bunch of crazy shit, especially motion. It is slanted in favor of the defense enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sully
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
The rules of formations are fine.
The A11, which spawned this was a legal formation.
The question should be about the numbering system.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
The rules of formations are fine.
The A11, which spawned this was a legal formation.
The question should be about the numbering system.

True. However, as was established in the other thread, the A-11 is legal due to a loophole. Then came argument as to the spirit of the game and what not. So I am wondering, since there were other innovations that changed the game over the years, if anyone actually wants to "get it over with" and open it up.

Hamas was the one who led me to this line of thought with his responses and he seems to be elsewhere. I wouldn't mind hearing thoughts from the few who voted to drop the rules, though.

Third Eye
04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I think the only rules that should be changed in regards to formation and receiver eligibility are the jersey numbers rule and the reporting of eligibility rule. I think it should be on the defense to realize when an offensive tackle is the last man on the line of scrimmage and therefore eligible.

kysirsoze
04-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I think the only rules that should be changed in regards to formation and receiver eligibility are the jersey numbers rule and the reporting of eligibility rule. I think it should be on the defense to realize when an offensive tackle is the last man on the line of scrimmage and therefore eligible.

I agree. I like the idea of the offense slipping one by the defense. Pay attention! It's like the kickoff team having to report that they will be attempting an onside kick!

KCChiefsMan
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I think it would be fun if the best highschool football team in Texas said "hey, lets go there and whoop their asses, we can stop that shit"

think about it

wazu
04-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I think it comes down to one question - which sport do you like better, football, or rugby?

Saul Good
04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I prefer to think of them as undocumented formations.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Bring on the Stram!

whoman69
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
The fact that teams using these formations are doing so only because they don't have the talent to play straight up shows me that its a gimmick and its hokey. Its illegal under college and the pro game. Its only poorly written high school rules that allow this to happen.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
The fact that teams using these formations are doing so only because they don't have the talent to play straight up shows me that its a gimmick and its hokey. Its illegal under college and the pro game. Its only poorly written high school rules that allow this to happen.

In the name of Stram, I REBUKE YOU!

whoman69
04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
In the name of Stram, I REBUKE YOU!

How many years before you were born was Stram fired?

Smed1065
04-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a feeling I'm getting a silent REPOST here. If this debate has been done to death, my apologies. :)

Not twice? In a bump...

?

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2009, 10:39 PM
How many years before you were born was Stram fired?

Three, but I've watched a few of the old games. Point?