PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Feng Shui: What is your opinion?

Rain Man
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I like watching those home shows on HGTV, and there's one now (less interesting than normal) about staging homes for sale.

First off, it's a 38th floor condo and it's got floor to ceiling windows that make up an entire large wall. It's a nice place, but there's no way I could live there. I'd always be petrified of tripping and falling through the windows to my death.

But that's not my point.

The owner brought in two stagers, one who does the work and the other who is a Feng Shui consultant. It's kind of funny, because she's vetoing stuff being proposed by the stager because of Feng Shui reasons. While I'm into home decorating, I can't get behind the Feng Shui stuff.

stumppy
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
It rubs me the wrong way.

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I always just called it the Dragon Punch.

RJ
04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
My wife digs it.

I find it extremely boring.

I think some people latch onto the idea because it requires very little imagination. Or at least that's how I see it.

WoodDraw
04-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Penn and Teller did one of their bullshit episodes on it awhile ago. Needless to say, it's all bullshit.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GA8TvzJajb8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GA8TvzJajb8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

stlchiefs
04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
BS that people buy into:

"Put a green plant in this corner and it'll bring you prosperity." Oh ok, that's legit. :rolleyes:

RealSNR
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
It's stupid and totally fake, but there's no harm in it. It's not like the rooms look like crap. When you have to make room for "energy" it usually means the traffic flow of the room is increased, making it a more practical living space.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Completely ridiculous.

A number of eastern stuff is. Meditation, acupuncture, Buddhism.

Ebolapox
04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Completely ridiculous.

A number of eastern stuff is....Buddhism.

sez the catholic. that's rich.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 09:36 PM

He must be joking if he's including acupuncture.

whoman69
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
My wife has this thing about buying a new pair of yellow underwear for new years for luck. WTF?

The only place feng shui really works is in Animal Crossing.

Ebolapox
04-28-2009, 09:38 PM
He must be joking if he's including acupuncture.

wouldn't know, I've never tried it. some swear by it, some say it's bullshit. I try not to criticize something unless I've tried it or read up on evidence for/against. I've done neither.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 09:39 PM

What a superficial comment lacking of any substance. Buddhism is nice, I'm sure it can be very comforting and peaceful. It's impossible to disagree with some of what Buddhism practices/theorizes/etc. But it's safe to say Christianity is superior, tossing aside whether or not it's even true or not.

The whole idea of releasing the mind to essentially not think of anything outside of yourself? Completely ridiculous and selfish. It goes against everything Western Civilization has taught us to cherish - explore outside ourselves! And Christianity is definitely all about focusing outside of yourself, on God, on your fellow human beings.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
I hope no one takes my comments as arrogant or something like "I and my Christian friends are better than 'those people'" -- that's not what I mean at all, and I don't believe that at all. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Delano
04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I hope no one takes my comments as arrogant or something like "I and my Christian friends are better than 'those people'" -- that's not what I mean at all, and I don't believe that at all. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Nearly every one of your posts offends me.

I did a quick search and the last non-offensive post was in June 2003.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 09:49 PM
wouldn't know, I've never tried it. some swear by it, some say it's bullshit. I try not to criticize something unless I've tried it or read up on evidence for/against. I've done neither.

I know people with ailments that say it's the only thing that helps.

I've never done it but I certainly wouldn't discount it before trying.

But Jenson's 21: He knows everything. Living in that Metropolitan World city in Iowa has given him vast knowledge.

ROFL

Iowanian
04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm not Chinese or a non-bathing longhair living near Fairfield Iowania who thinks I can fly if I sit Indian(hiya hiya) style in a golden dome room and hop, so I'm not really into it.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Nearly every one of your posts offends me.

I did a quick search and the last non-offensive post was in June 2003.

:sulk:

I'll just be quiet from now on.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I know people with ailments that say it's the only thing that helps.

I've never done it but I certainly wouldn't discount it before trying.

But Jenson's 21: He knows everything. Living in that Metropolitan World city in Iowa has given him vast knowledge.

ROFL

Some people think chiropractors are great for stomach pain (read badgirl's thread)

It doesn't matter where you're from to know things if you have libraries, schools, sources of information.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Some people think chiropractors are great for stomach pain (read badgirl's thread)

It doesn't matter where you're from to know things if you have libraries, schools, sources of information.

Dude, there is no substitute for experience.

If you haven't experienced it, don't pass judgment.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Dude, there is no substitute for experience.

Hey I like Jimi Hendrix too but you don't need rock music to debunk psuedoscience.

Iowanian
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Living in that Metropolitan World city in Iowa has given him vast knowledge.

ROFL

You back the hell off of Iowania, you latte sipping, mac notebook doodlin, horsemane- shampoo-ponytail-greasing sonnabitch!!!

stlchiefs
04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
You back the hell off of Iowania, you latte sipping, mac notebook doodlin, horsemane- shampoo-ponytail-greasing sonnabitch!!!

Oh shit, Iowanian can smell when anyone even thinks about typing the word Iowa on CP. :)

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM

Thing is, there are probably a lot of elite in California and Hollywood right now just gushing over how progressive and superior Iowa is over their own state.

Iowa - where everyone is above average. We're common-sensical, God-fearing folk, who take care of ourselves, educate ourselves, and work hard with honor and duty.

DaneMcCloud

Well if you put it THAT way, OKAY!

my comments were directed at Jenson and his superiority, not Iowania, per se

Iowanian
You talk shit on Iowania, I'll tell the world your hair looks like Gary Bussey's....not 1995 G.B either, we're talkin 2004-DUI lineup Dane McCloooooooood. GARY BUSSEY!!!

You think Cameron Diaz will sit by you at your Pudilates and spin class THEN, DANE MCCLOOOOOOUD!!!

He's kinda right about you know what though.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 10:12 PM
You talk shit on Iowania, I'll tell the world your hair looks like Gary Bussey's....not 1995 G.B either, we're talkin 2004-DUI lineup Dane McCloooooooood. GARY BUSSEY!!!

You think Cameron Diaz will sit by you at YOGA THEN, DANE MCCLOOOOOOUD!!!

He's kinda right about you know what though.

Bad girl's coochie?

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
You think Cameron Diaz will sit by you at your Pudilates and spin class THEN, DANE MCCLOOOOOOUD!!!

She will because I own the studio where she works out from time to time

:evil:

DeezNutz
04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
She will because I own the studio where she works out from time to time

:evil:

Have you ever told her that her nipples looked delectable in There's Something About Mary?

Really, you should.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 10:16 PM
One night I watched Bill O'Reilly and there was a Filipino talking about how Desperate Housewives made Filipinos look like backwards people because of a dig about their health care system.

His comment about why it mattered: because people from the midwest and south are going to see that and think that that's really how it is there!

Not joking. Greatest dumbass I've ever seen on that show.

Iowanian
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
The "floaters" in Iowania only buy houses/buildings that face east, all kinds of goofy stuff. Most of them look like they're aspiring members of the Taliban, but the wealthy bastards try to assimilate.

alanm
04-28-2009, 10:22 PM
I think there's something to it. Call me crazy.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 10:22 PM
One night I watched Bill O'Reilly and there was a Filipino talking about how Desperate Housewives made Filipinos look like backwards people because of a dig about their health care system.

His comment about why it mattered: because people from the midwest and south are going to see that and think that that's really how it is there!

Not joking. Greatest dumbass I've ever seen on that show.

They are a backwards people and do have bad health care.

Not to hijack but the Philippines has had and does have one of the most corrupt governments in the world. It definitely rivals Mexico, if not surpasses it.

stlchiefs
04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I think there's something to it. Call me crazy.

Crazy.

ClevelandBronco
04-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Strictly from an economic standpoint, I think there's value in following the guidelines of feng shui in a case such as that. For potential buyers who care, they will be more likely to be impressed. Others probably won't be put off by it.

It just seems that it would broaden the market.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
They are a backwards people and do have bad health care.

Not to hijack but the Philippines has had and does have one of the most corrupt governments in the world. It definitely rivals Mexico, if not surpasses it.

Well now Dane I hope you've been both there and Mexico and have had a procedure done in the Philippines.

:p

ClevelandBronco
04-28-2009, 10:27 PM
By the way, Rainman, it's a big no-no to have the stairs face the front door.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Well now Dane I hope you've been both there and Mexico and have had a procedure done in the Philippines.

:p

The wife is Filipino, though first generation American. No need for me to go. Her parents don't even want her visiting and they emigrated 40 years ago.

I was supposed to be in Mexico at this very moment but the Swine Flu put a wrench in my plans.

Rain Man
04-28-2009, 10:33 PM
By the way, Rainman, it's a big no-no to have the stairs face the front door.

Is this why all of the original owners of my house are dead?

ClevelandBronco
04-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Is this why all of the original owners of my house are dead?

Count on it if they fell down the stairs.

alanm
04-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Crazy.Thank you. :D

Crush
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I personally think it is BS, but I am not going to fight the "Feng Shui Machine."

J Diddy
04-29-2009, 12:06 AM
The only thing remotely close to feng shui that I'm concerned with is the chiefs arranging their defensive line into a position that will not allow people to run rampant on them.

ClevelandBronco
04-29-2009, 12:32 AM
The only thing remotely close to feng shui that I'm concerned with is the chiefs arranging their defensive line into a position that will not allow people to run rampant on them.

Don't you guys read? Place a fountain at the northeast corner of the sideline.

That'll do it.

You've officially been shuied, motherfenger.

Katipan
04-29-2009, 06:34 AM
I can see how having all elements in your home inspires a balance. I like having fire, water, earth, wind around me. Candles, a $20 rock fountain I think I got as a secret santa gift one year, plants, and ceiling fan. Not all that troublesome.

I can see how a red front door would inspire certain feelings in you... Running streams are always therapeutic. I don't necessarily think it's washing my evil problems away, but you'd have to be one ADHD having mother fucker to not be able to find simple peace in sitting by a stream.

Feng Sui is just taking common sense things and making it complicated. It's a great religion!

King_Chief_Fan
04-29-2009, 06:38 AM
It is by far one of the most stupid things anyone has ever come up with. And it is even more stupid that people "believe" it.

patteeu
04-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Strictly from an economic standpoint, I think there's value in following the guidelines of feng shui in a case such as that. For potential buyers who care, they will be more likely to be impressed. Others probably won't be put off by it.

It just seems that it would broaden the market.

That sounds reasonable.

King_Chief_Fan
04-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Penn and Teller did one of their bullshit episodes on it awhile ago. Needless to say, it's all bullshit.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/GA8TvzJajb8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

This video tells it better than anything else....Feng Shui is pure bullshit.