PDA

View Full Version : Royals Rany: Mea Culpa (Sort Of)

alnorth
04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
As promised, Rany revisited (http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2009/04/mea-culpa-sort-of.html) the whole "Trey Hillman is an unbelievable idiot" issue. He has upgraded Hillman from "will possibly cost us the division" up to "neither an asset nor a liability"

Apparently, we’ve all been a little too hard on Trey Hillman.

I hesitate to call the following an “apology”. The things that I and others wrote about Hillman’s mystifying usage of Joakim Soria were completely fair based on what we knew at the time – and we had no reason to think that there was more to the story. My column hinting at a hidden injury for Soria was completely tongue-in-cheek, though in retrospect was shockingly accurate (a critic might say it’s the only accurate thing I’ve written this year). But it read as satire precisely because the Royals stuck to their story that the only thing wrong with Soria was the way his manager was using him. Remember, Bob Dutton and Dick Kaegel both asked Hillman, point blank, if there was anything wrong with his closer. The answer at the time was no. The answer two days later was entirely different.

But if I don’t owe Hillman an apology, at least I owe it to say I take it all back. My criticisms may have been entirely fair – but they weren’t entirely accurate. And frankly, while you never want one of your players to be injured, now that the mystery has been revealed this might actually be a best-case scenario.

If Hillman is guilty of anything, it’s deliberately lying about a health issue regarding one of his players in order to gain a competitive edge. That might not be sportsmanship, but it’s certainly gamesmanship. It’s an open issue as to whether teams gain an edge by hiding injury reports, but the relevant issue is that Hillman and Moore thought this would gain them an edge. They wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they weren’t trying to find one.

The problem is that, having lied to us already, there’s no reason to trust that Hillman isn’t lying to us again, if not about the extent of the injury, then about the timing.

And keep in mind, along with a firm timeline that explains all the weird bullpen shenanigans of last week, we have a pretty obvious reason for the injury in the first place: the World Baseball Classic, which resulted in Soria being used for exactly two innings over a two-week span. Soria isn’t the first, and won’t be the last, pitcher to suffer as a result of the unpredictable usage patterns the WBC brings to pitchers at the exact point in the year where they most need predictable work to get their arms ready for the season. Assuming Soria just needs a little rest, we should consider ourselves lucky that the only fallout is a week or two of forced inactivity. Let’s hope that come 2013, the tournament structure will have moved to later in March with a much more compressed schedule, which ought to address the main concerns of too much downtime for relievers (and too many pitchers for starters) too early in spring training.

Ultimately, you have to take some positives from this. Soria really did have AITP (apparent inability to pitch). His version of AITP does appear to be curable. Our manager is not a complete and utter moron. And the cure for what appeared to be imbecilic bullpen management may be as simple as the cure for Soria’s achy shoulder – a little bit of rest.

Hillman has made some poor decisions this month, and they certainly can’t all be blamed on Soria’s arm. Opening Day is still on him. But Soria’s injury changes the narrative, from “our manager is actively costing our team a chance at the playoffs” to “our manager has made some bad decisions along with some good decisions, and overall he’s neither an asset nor a liability.”

Hillman’s not perfect. But take away the biggest imperfection on his resume this season, look at the Royals’ performance from a distance, and suddenly his track record looks a lot better. The Royals can survive without Soria for a week or two – hell, the Royals haven’t been in need of his services even once since the injury was revealed. They can’t survive with a manager as dumb a Hillman appeared to be. So let’s all be thankful that Soria should be back soon, and that when he returns, he’ll be under the watchful eye of a manager who’s a little bit smarter than we were all giving him credit for.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
"...look at the Royals’ performance from a distance, and suddenly his track record looks a lot better."

ROFL

My friends and I used to talk about girls like this: "Good from far; far from good."

ChiefMojo
04-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Just a heck of a lot better than we have seen for more than 15 years or so. lol

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Just a heck of a lot better than we have seen for more than 15 years or so. lol

We just have better talent.

Hillman is dumb as ****. Don't know if he'd shower with his clothes on, but he's on the same level.

It's similar to trying to say that Moore is a much better GM than Baird. Dayton might be better, but there was so very little help from ownership that it's almost impossible to evaluate Baird accurately.

Rany called Hillman "barnyard dumb," and this is pretty accurate.

irishjayhawk
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM

Hillman is dumb as ****. Don't know if he'd shower with his clothes on, but he's on the same level.

It's similar to trying to say that Moore is a much better GM than Baird. Dayton might be better, but there was so very little help from ownership that it's almost impossible to evaluate Baird accurately.

Still agree with that.

DeezNutz
04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Still agree with that.

Me, too.

I'm through defending the guy or giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to have to see prolonged signs of intellectual activity from him during an actual game for me to lighten up.

Ebolapox
04-30-2009, 12:52 AM

was tony muser a never-nude?

Jenson71
04-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Rany's been bought. Some Wal-Mart stock.

ILChief
04-30-2009, 05:33 AM
I still can't believe Ponson is in the rotation while our former #1 overall pick is doing well in the minors.

Braincase
04-30-2009, 06:07 AM
I still can't believe Ponson is in the rotation while our former #1 overall pick is doing well in the minors.

Hochevar will be up just as soon as we get past the 6 week mark. That earns the team an extra season before his clock ticks as he technically won't have been with the ML team the "entire" season.

Braincase
04-30-2009, 06:08 AM
was tony muser a never-nude?

Pena would shower in his uniform to wash the "bad" out.